Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Still? We were told they'd paid the whole lot (back in the summer I think?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Damien360 wrote: »
    I thought Liverpool got everything up front for Coutinho. We discussed this a few times in here and it was always the same conclusion.

Not according to Barca's accounts however lads here are in ITK I'm sure they can explain.

Still? We were told they'd paid the whole lot (back in the summer I think?)

By no one reliable except lads on message boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We've heard a few different versions... one being that we sold the debt to a 3rd party who paid us up front for a slightly lower % of the total value. If that's the case then I guess both things match - we have the money, but the buyer of the debt may still be owed by Barca.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    We've heard a few different versions... one being that we sold the debt to a 3rd party who paid us up front for a high % of it. If that's the case then I guess both things match - we have the money, but the debt buyer may still be owed by Barca.

Well then wouldn't Barca have owed to (insert company name ) not Liverpool Football Club if the money was owed to a 3rd party?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

bangkok wrote: »
    you dont often see it at top level football thats why i would imagine

Rafael.JPG

Oh sorry, you said at the top level. Disregard that image I just posted so.

EDIT: skipped over a page and missed your post Steyr, apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

Well then wouldn't Barca have owed to (insert company name ) not Liverpool Football Club if the money was owed to a 3rd party?

Not if we had the agreement with the third party. If Barca were none the wiser it would still be to LFC. For the accountants here, would that be an outstanding debt on LFC's books then as Barca money owed to third party?

So he thinks Liverpool sold the add-on clauses not the actual fee.

https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1353737140719529984?s=20

Depends on how you write it really I guess - the image doesn't really look like an accounting breakdown, but rather a sheet providing a clear and easy to read summation of the situation. Club (player name).

In that case, it's cleaner to write it as they have done.

We also don't know how it works - perhaps from their POV it's still owed to Liverpool, who then route the payment straight through to the debt buyer, as the agreement is between Liverpool and the debt buyer. It probably becomes direct, with LFc providing the payment details of the debt buyer (or more likely, the debt buyer chasing Barca), but could still be earmarked in Barca's accounts as "Liverpool Coutinho money".

(Purely speculation as obviously I haven't a notion of any of this stuff :pac: )

Maybe it's true that Coutinho's transfer fee is an unending source of money (see VVD, Keita, Allison etc)! Hang on this means Liverpool can afford a centre back.

Harvey Elliot so far this season

• Advertisement

Just give us Umtiti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Damien360 wrote: »
    Not if we had the agreement with the third party. If Barca were none the wiser it would still be to LFC. For the accountants here, would that be an outstanding debt on LFC's books then as Barca money owed to third party?

Depends on the type of factoring used. One type leaves the collection of the funds with Liverpool who would then pay the factoring company.

Liverpool may have a debtor in their accounts for the funds owed from Barcelona and a separate creditor for funds owed to the factoring company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Its our style of play ,its the style that has made us the team we are why would we stop playing it ?

He got beat yesterday due to a horrific mistake by a rookie 19 year old CB , (simple ball to cut out ) and a silly free kick by a CM playing CB,

Full backs where fine ,

Horrific mistake by a 35 year old experienced seasoned pro. James Milner mistake was just as bad for the 1st goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Maybe it's true that Coutinho's transfer fee is an unending source of money (see VVD, Keita, Allison etc)! Hang on this means Liverpool can afford a centre back.

Harvey Elliot so far this season

He accounts for 80% of all assists made by children in professional English football this season :pac:

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1353387478288359424?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Depends on the type of factoring used. One type leaves the collection of the funds with Liverpool who would then pay the factoring company.

Liverpool may have a debtor in their accounts for the funds owed from Barcelona and a separate creditor for funds owed to the factoring company.

I'm guessing the factoring is based on the position of actually receiving those funds. For example, the likelyhood of the other party deciding to not pay in full and offer let's say 30p in the pound for the remainder. All dependant on apparent club value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I don't know why we didn't go for Sokratis. Unless he had a deal lined up already back in Greece.

I feel like between Klopp only ever going for the player he really wants and FSG not going to release any funds, we will not get any CB replacements for the rest of the season. Is it another 7 days to go?

7 days to go and I think there has only been one major transfer in the window that was Hallar leaving West Ham for £20m.

There has been lots of players loaned out and getting players off the books cancelling contracts with very few incomings.

You would hope Michael Edward's would have some connections to get a CB that they could get on loan from somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

This scenario reminds me of the Karius/Mignolet saga. Klopp publicly backing his players and the club working in the background to get the right keeper. Did it work? Well, it cost us a CL but we got Alison after. It’s a hard one to call. But if they thought today that they’d miss CL next year, they’d find money for a CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Spurs going the full distance now would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

mightyreds wrote: »
    Spurs going the full distance now would be nice

Look what youve done??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

retalivity wrote: »
    Look what youve done??

I know couldn't have got any worse looked away and then it was 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

mightyreds wrote: »
    I know couldn't have got any worse looked away and then it was 3-1

Finished 4-1, should ahev been loads more, their keeper was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

They had to bring Kane and Son and Hoijberg from the bench tonight, I am sure they would have preferred to have them all stay off the pitch. They now have one day to recover, then one day to prepare before they play us. That is good for us at least, in theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Enzokk wrote: »
    They had to bring Kane and Son and Hoijberg from the bench tonight, I am sure they would have preferred to have them all stay off the pitch. They now have oe day to recover, then one day to prepare before they play us. That is good for us at least, in theory.

No offence to Wycombe, but I'd say that Spurs have spent most of their time preparing for the Liverpool game since last Monday, getting their game plan ready etc.

Lots going on behind the scenes might explain lack of funds.

https://twitter.com/mjshrimper/status/1353820189658374144?s=20

Red Sox strike out on deal to go public
    The parent company of the Boston Red Sox and Liverpool F.C. has ended talks to sell a minority ownership stake to RedBall Acquisition, a SPAC formed by longtime baseball executive Billy Beane and investor Gerry Cardinale, Axios has learned from multiple sources. An alternative investment, structured more like private equity, remains possible.

Why it matters: Red Sox fans won't be able to buy stock in the team any time soon.

Background: Deal talks first leaked last October, with RedBall seeking to acquire between a 20-25% stake of Fenway Sports Group at around an $8 billion valuation.

It would have been funded by $575 million that RedBall raised in its IPO, plus up to $950 million Redball sought to raise from Cardinale's private equity firm (RedBird Capital Partners) and outside investors.
    Neither FSG nor RedBall ever confirmed their talks, nor would regulatory restrictions have allowed them to do so.
    What happened: RedBall couldn't raise enough outside capital at the asking price, at least via the SPAC structure.

Forbes last year estimated that the Red Sox were valued at $3.3 billion, compared to the $380 million that its ownership group paid back in 2002. That total does not include Liverpool or some of Fenway Sports Group's other assets, which include a NASCAR team and regional sports network that airs Red Sox and Boston Bruins games.
    What happens now: Cardinale and FSG still may try to negotiate a private investment deal, but not one that would immediately result in a public stock listing.

RedBall will continue to seek out an acquisition target, possibly in pro soccer or gaming.

https://www.axios.com/red-sox-public-spac-no-deal-72eb6b14-0844-4156-b03f-3456217083e4.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100

That news will be greeted by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I don't know why we didn't go for Sokratis. Unless he had a deal lined up already back in Greece.

I feel like between Klopp only ever going for the player he really wants and FSG not going to release any funds, we will not get any CB replacements for the rest of the season. Is it another 7 days to go?

It doesn't look like we'll be signing anyone, which is absolute madness. It's negligent at this stage. Our CB situation is basically Fabinho and Matip until the end of the season. We all know Matip will miss at least half those matches, so we're then left with Henderson, Williams and Philips in that order to fill in for Matip.

Klopp obviously doesn't fancy Philips as he's barely played him even during this injury crisis, which I think is a mistake, at the moment he's a better option than Williams who is totally out of his depth and looked completely lost against United.I think Klopp should have made a decision at the start of this injury crisis and put his faith in one of the younger guys (I'd go with Philips myself as he's more mature) and play him whenever Matip is injured, instead of chopping and changing and then to really boost their confidence he plays Henderson there! I think as bad and all as the situation is I think Klopp hasn't managed it well, basically by playing Henderson there he is saying he has no faith in the other 2. God help us if Fabinho gets injured!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Top 5 in the Deloitte money league for first time in 20 years lads.

Might want to use some of it to help their manager.

• Advertisement

That list is of course a historial document.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Steyr 556 wrote: »

Word is we spoke to him ,

We probably offered him a 6 month deal could not see us wanting him long term and he has a 4 year deal lined up back in his home country,

Its possible he preferred to take that deal and go home,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Word is we spoke to him ,

We probably offered him a 6 month deal could not see us wanting him long term and he has a 4 year deal lined up back in his home country,

Its possible he preferred to take that deal and go home,

It's an odd decision on his part. Olympiacos would always be there. With Liverpool he had a chance of winning the PL and CL. You'd think he would have tried it for 4 months. But I guess he knows what's best for him.

Blanco100 wrote: »

Revenue is not a measure of cash available to spend. Barcelona is top of that league, yet they have no money to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I know that we shouldn't be looking too far into the future with fixtures and all that but I can't help it!

In February, Liverpool have 6 fixtures, 2 less than a lot of rivals. I think this is a good opportunity to claw back some points that are currently separating Liverpool from top place. Even getting back 3 points over all teams would be a big boost, and there is 2 good opportunities by playing Leicester & Man City. By not playing in The FA Cup 5th round just before the Leicester game, it offers a nice opportunity to get a rest in, in the middle of the packed month of fixtures

In the same month, Leicester, Spurs & Man Utd all have 8 fixtures, with the extra FA Cup & Europa League game. It's a short month. All those teams will have to play every weekend and every midweek for the entire month. Man City currently have 7 games but I think that will increase as they have a backlog of games to work through. I've used the Liverpool game dates below but it's a rough guide (eg Saturday Liverpool game could be a Sunday for others)

h2c9FiZ.png

Fitz* wrote: »
    In the same month, Leicester, Spurs & Man Utd all have 8 fixtures, with the extra FA Cup & Europa League game. It's a short month. All those teams will have to play every weekend and every midweek for the entire month. Man City currently have 7 games but I think that will increase as they have a backlog of games to work through. I've used the Liverpool game dates below but it's a rough guide (eg Saturday Liverpool game could be a Sunday for others)

For the teams in the FA Cup after the 5th round, their fixtures will mean having to reschedule PL fixtures on the same day. There is so many fixtures to play for especially City and United and Spurs if they progress in Europe. It could be the best time to have a blip, before the other teams start their massive amount of matches without a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Blanco100 wrote: »

Doesn't work like that. Value of an asset is a lot different to disposable finance on the same asset. Example Barcelona are worth 4 billion and generate 700 millon plus annually but there're skint and actually haven't a bean to spend. That is of course until they get their next financial "hand out" and those in UEFA who monitor financial fair play will look the other way......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Liverpool losing 3m income per home game because of COVID. One of the biggest wage bills in the sports; £310m before the arrival of Jota & Thiago. There is mitigation for FSG not spending. It’s just a case of surely some funds could have been freed up somewhere.

Haven't listened to the Podcast, but according to Reddit, the above quote is from the link below.

3m per home game. That is a fairly staggering amount.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-396mv-cdf0042?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

That's about £6m a week in wages alone.

Add in other sundries it costs about £1m day if not more to keep Liverpool FC running.

We are coming up to one year with no fans Football is p1ssing against the wind right now trying to survive it might just only be the super clubs that survive this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Knex* wrote: »
    Haven't listened to the Podcast, but according to Reddit, the above quote is from the link below.

3m per home game. That is a fairly staggering amount.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-396mv-cdf0042?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

That 310 probably includes bonuses from all the trophies and what not. Can't imagine there will be that many bonuses this season :pac::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I read Dr Andreas is behind the prolonged absence of Keita,
    He only came into the club in December to over see recovery and injury department , He decided Keita needs to build more strength in certain area's to cut out all the niggles and he has spent a lot of time in the gym in recent weeks,

Be interesting to see if it works or do we just have another Sturridge

• Advertisement

He only came into the club in December to over see recovery and injury department , He decided Keita needs to build more strength in certain area's to cut out all the niggles and he has spent a lot of time in the gym in recent weeks,

It really is a shame that he cannot play more. I think he would definitely help our situation. Him and Thiago would be an excellent pairing when the opposition start tiring.

We are coming up to one year with no fans Football is p1ssing against the wind right now trying to survive it might just only be the super clubs that survive this.

I reckon 90%+ of the teams in the first 5 English Leagues will survive.

That would be great. He didn’t have these issues at Leipzig, so hopefully it is something treatable. Also good that there’s no international break for a while, so hopefully the doc can make him a bit more robust before Guinea play him in every minute of every game.

Speaking of Leipzig, and this will be a shock to few as there's been chatter, Rory Smith (NYT) on Guardian Football Weekly podcast says or rather implies that LFC are after Ibrahima Konate.

Makes some sense, probably cheaper than Upamacano and another tall, lanky fecker who is constantly injured!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Makes some sense, probably cheaper than Upamacano and another tall, lanky fecker who is constantly injured!

Ah FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

6 wins on the trot for West Ham and they play us next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

41 points at halfway point for City. That's a good total, same again easily wins it, even 79 pts wins it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Arsenal 4 pts off of us if they hold on for the win. It shows how a little run of wins can send you 8 places up the table.
    Our bad run could be a blessing, winning this league could be about the final 7 games.

Stats! :mad: They don't tell you why the numbers are as they are. Chances are not all equal. Nor are shots at or on goal. Even when they occure is vital. When Liverpool are firing effectivly they score early they score just before HT, they score early in second half and again in the last 15. You could practically bet on it. This season you can't predict when, if at all due to the way the structure and play patterns have lacked any er structure and pattern. While no VVD should not absolve the forwards of all blame the lack of his passing and Fabs interceptions high up the pitch are having a pretty clear effect as possession has become more sterile and slow moving. A turnover is no longer followed by an immediate set up for a strike at goal within a few passes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement