Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

We've had our expectations adjusted by circumstances this season. I don't want Spurs pushing us out of top 4, so won't be disappointed with a draw away to them tomorrow night. A win would be sensational of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

CL could be a godsend in that sides play to win rather than play to survive and nick a goal with one counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Also having Thiago & Henderson in midfield tomorrow will help things.

They have only started one game together in midfield - that game at Goodison Park. Having Henderson back should free up Thiago a bit to push up higher and create from higher up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fitz* wrote: »
    Also having Thiago & Henderson in midfield tomorrow will help things.

They have only started one game together in midfield - that game at Goodison Park.

Having Henderson back should free up Thiago a bit to push up higher and create from higher up

Henderson is also the one in the team that’s constantly shouting to keep the ball moving and keep the tempo up, moving the opposition around. Without that, we can sometimes fall into slow repetitive patterns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/Dreams_n_Songs/status/1354092342379163649?s=20

Where were you?

I was in student accommodation in Cork - **** load of can and out on the lash in the City.

I remember queuing at a chipper at some point the rest was a bit of a blur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

brevity wrote: »

Where were you?

I was in student accommodation in Cork - **** load of can and out on the lash in the City.

I was in my mate's gaff, went down to watch it in his little granny flat at the time, when I got there one of the lads was asleep with drool hanging out of his mouth in a shore, just normal lad stuff...

Me slapping him across the face trying to wake him as the second and third going in, and what did he reply to me as I kept dozing off (was on beer all day)

"I'll get the DVD" says the lad with Liverpool tattoos all up his arm's asleep through that, the dzope...

A feed of cans and blips were had an probably one of the best night's of my life after, we ended up going into town and going mental with the lads on a pub crawl, not a care in the world, absolutely unreal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Where were you?

Was in the living room at my dad's house in Cork. Had banished himself and my sister from coming in. They did come to the door on several occasions due to some "bizarre" noises emanating from myself for several match related reasons.

They did give me provisions at half time when I came out for fresh air, swearing like a mad yoke. Pepperoni pizza and chips was brilliant football watching sustenance.

Was texting all the lads that supported Liverpool too. None of us could believe what was happening.

Magical, unforgettable night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Where were you?

After a hard Wednesday as an apprentice... watched first half in the kitchen while my Dad and Sister were watching in the sitting room. I wasn't really a full time follower until that night... after that game, and the ones I had seen in the build up to it in the CL I was converted fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We won 2 away games all season and one was the opening day against 10 men for 45 minutes , I don't think Mo had a Christmas tree up all year ,

We were top, thrashed Palace 7-0 and looked like we were just about to hit top gear.

It's may be silly to suggest our form is because of Salah's tree, but the man is cursed of late, can't score, and we can't win. We were top, and Salah was top scorer in league, now he couldn't hit the ground if he fell on it .
    I dunno why that is, but faith is a powerful thing. We had huge luck last season, and a lot to be top this season, before the tree.

Well well well. Interesting results tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Haha title contenders my arse :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm staring at the result and can't believe it.
    1-1 at Goodison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

We were top, thrashed Palace 7-0 and looked like we were just about to hit top gear.

It's may be silly to suggest our form is because of Salah's tree, but the man is cursed of late, can't score, and we can't win. We were top, and Salah was top scorer in league, now he couldn't hit the ground if he fell on it .
    I dunno why that is, but faith is a powerful thing. We had huge luck last season, and a lot to be top this season, before the tree.

Scored two in the last game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Couldn't have asked for a better set of results tonight.

A win tomorrow and things will look much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Next 3 games are huge now, if we go in 4 or less behind city to that game it would be astonishing

Just when you think the table is honest, United and Leicester lose. Win tomorrow and then what????
    Suddenly we're heading for the top.?? What a season

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Scored two in the last game?

I league in mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Cripes....every time I say I'm off the gargle they pull me back in....or maybe my nerves will survive tomorrow with the Barry's Green Tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Just when you think the table is honest, United and Leicester lose. Win tomorrow and then what????

Leicester didn't lose :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Leicester lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

Well that was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Just checked the results there now and couldn't believe that Brighton and Fulham drew 0-0,what a shock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Worry about ourselves before worrying about what others are up to, we have to win tomorrow, really have to...

Leicester didn't lose :confused:

Lost two points...

Yea I thought they lost though, but still 2 pts dropped.

11 pts separate Midtable to Top of league.
    The best run in the last 7 games wins the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

That Man Utd result just further highlights Liverpool's woeful form.

• Advertisement

Keep within touching distance. Name of the game. Don't lose the 6 pointers especially the City game.

We'll come good again. That's a certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

PhuckHugh wrote: »

Just goes to show that without fans home games mean sweet fcuk all.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Just goes to show that without fans home games mean sweet fcuk all.

Pity nobody is letting Liverpool in on the secret away from home! Need to start picking up more on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

PhuckHugh wrote: »

Our run of bad form is a anomaly though, given what the squad and the manager has achieved over the last three years. Their run of good form is also an anomaly, the silly billy's mistook it for a title challenge, bless.

United away to a FLYING Arsenal next, and then Southampton and Everton who are holding their own this season. Liverpool have a tougher game tomorrow though, not easy for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I didn't think I'd see a worse result this year than Burnley at Anfield but Utd have been proving me wrong all season

.G. wrote: »
    Our run of bad form is a anomaly though, given what the squad and the manager has achieved over the last three years. Their run of good form is also an anomaly, the silly billy's mistook it for a title challenge, bless.

34 pts after 19 games is a tad more than an anomaly I fear,

pl 2017 / 2018 we finished on 75 points, CL finalist that Karius impacted hugely
    pl 2018 / 2019 we finished on 97 points and won CL
    pl 2020 / 2021 we finished on 99 points got to last 16 of CL

We'd VVD & Alison for both of our great seasons ......... without VVD we seem to be back to 2017 / 2018 level. If you take him out of the team is it unexpected that we are back to where we were without him.
    He did play half of 2017 / 2018 but we had Karius in goal for most of that iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Augeo wrote: »

pl 2017 / 2018 we finished on 75 points, CL finalist that Karius impacted hugely

We'd VVD & Alison for both of our great seasons ......... without VVD we seem to be back to 2017 / 2018 level. If you take him out of the team is it unexpected that we are back to where we were without him.
    He did play half of 2017 / 2018 but we had Karius in goal for most of that iirc.

We are missing more than just VVD though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

pl 2017 / 2018 we finished on 75 points, CL finalist that Karius AND RAMOS:mad: impacted hugely

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

The loss of Fabinho from midfield needs to be considered too. We're not winning the ball as far up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

4 of the 5 next games are against Spurs, West Ham, Man City, and Leicester. Vital games, and if we are not picking up a few wins, we will easily find ourselves 10 points behind top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

4 of the 5 next games are against Spurs, West Ham, Man City, and Leicester. Vital games, and if we are not picking up a few wins, we will easily find ourselves 10 points behind top 4.

If we win then all we'll be nearly top, and if my Aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

One game at a time, every game is crucial, great time to be a fan really.

TitianGerm wrote: »

Iirc someone posted yesterday how we could put out a first 11 with 10 being in their favoured position........ one of the CBs was Williams iirc and Matip the other.

We're missing Gomez and VVD essentially, Keita too .......... Keita has played in 50PL games over 2.5 seasons......... I'd not reckon he was hugely influential in our two great seasons, he played a part of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

TitianGerm wrote: »

Indeed.

Van Dijk is out for the season.

Matip has been injured twice already & you'd expect it to happen again. Gomez has been injured twice, the second putting him out indefinitely.

Thiago & Jota will have been injured for 2.5 months each.

Alisson (twice) Keita (twice) Milner, Hendo, Shaq, & Trent,have all been out injured also. All of these injuries mentioned are significant injuries resulting in a lay-off of 10 days or more.

As well as this even when some of our players are fit to play, they are forced to play out of position due to the injuries of others, Fab & Hendo for example.

As well as that you have Salah, Mane & Thiago have all been missing at times due to COVID-related absences.

:p

Indeed, the Ramos thing was an assault also IMO.
    We get more than our share of such incidents ..... I won't say more than our fair share as none of those challenges should be part of the game. VVD incident the same.

• Advertisement

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Indeed.

Matip has been injured twice already & you'd expect it to happen again. Gomez has been injured twice, the second putting him out indefinitely.

Alisson (twice) Keita (twice) Milner, Hendo, Shaq, & Trent,have all been out injured also. All of these injuries mentioned are significant injuries resulting in a lay-off of 10 days or more.

As well as that you have Salah, Mane & Thiago have all been missing at times due to COVID-related absences.

Em, most teams can lash out a similar list. And the same with Covid.
    We don't want to be excuse merchants. As PL Champions we should be above the excuse tattle IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We don't want to be excuse merchants. As PL Champions we should be above the excuse tattle IMO.

Normally id agree but this year Liverpool have had an absolute night mare with injuries,

I'm not sure if this season any other club comes close to the injures to important players, They have been very unlucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

As far as excuses go I feel like "every senior CB at the club has been injured for the majority of the season" is a pretty decent one actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Indeed.

ACL surgery and recovery aint what it used to be... Most people , at high levels, are returning within six months. Football fitness is a different story tho....but a lot of intercounty GAA lads are back by six months so elite footballers can expect the same... Given there's no setbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Most teams would have a similar list of first teamers that have been missing, some multiple times already, this season? Missing a serious amount of time?

If this team wins the league it will be a miracle and if they do it, the club and fans will be forever indebted to the ones who contributed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

In terms of significant injuries resulting in a lay-off of 10 days or more this season, Liverpool have suffered more than any other club with 20 to date - three more than the next hardest-hit club, Burnley.

I'm not looking for excuses, but your performances naturally enough are going to suffer when you're missing your best player for an entire season, as well as your 2nd/3rd choice CB when the other 2nd/3rd choice CB is inevitably going to get injured again. Both of our signings, one of them being world-class & the other looking like he was the signing of the season have been out for nearly 3 months.

Can you name me another team who have suffered injuries as significant as that.

I'll even take the Covid absentees & the players who have been injured for 10 days+ from my point to make it a more balanced debate.

If you think that we should be winning the league with no excuses given the significance of our injuries this season then I'm sorry but you're going to be disappointed, you need to lower your expectations accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

A win tonight would be huge for the table and morale,

Id actually take a draw myself but if we score first we could do it ,

If this team wins the league it will be a miracle and if they do it, the club and fans will be forever indebted to the ones who contributed.

If you think that we should be winning the league with no excuses given the significance of our injuries this season then I'm sorry but you're going to be disappointed, you need to lower your expectations accordingly.

We won't be winning the league lads. No chance.
    Top4 will be a struggle. My expectations are quite realistic.
    And excuses aside, we've underperformed in so many matches this season. Top4 shouldn't be a struggle for us.

My point is this isn't an anomaly, we are just back to where we were without VVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Indeed.

As well as this even when some of our players are fit to play, they are forced to play out of position due to the injuries of others, Fab & Hendo for example.

VVD and Gomez are the only long term injuries, both being CBs exaggerates their loss, also the one area of the squad which had insufficient back up, which only compounds their loss. The other injuries are the types of injuries and time out every club can expect throughout a season.

Of course we were always going to miss VVD what team wouldn't, but, had we held onto Lovren or replaced him for example, the loss of both VVD and Gomez wouldn't have affected us as much, for example Fabinho would have stayed in midfield for most of the season, only playing at CB for a handful of games (Henderson, Williams and Philips have only played about 7/8 league games between them at CB, I was surprised when I looked this up it feels like a lot more!). With Fabinho in midfield for most of the season the other injuries in midfield wouldn't have affected us as much either.

The CB issue really is the only area that's been badly affected by injury, but, has been allowed to totally unbalance the whole team due to the club's reluctance to get a CB in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Just on the injuries, this is a good graphic on it. There is some mad correlations on the season too. The squad has missed 26% of the games so far through injuries.

Matip & Fabinho being injured while Gomez was fit.

Pretty much the only time Tsmikas was fit was when Trent was injured.

Henderson & Thiago rarely being fit at the same time. Still only started 1 game together in CM.

Milner being injured when Naby was fit, but not really fit at the same time.

Jota getting injured at the same time that Ox came back to fitness, again, not fit at the same time.

Shaq has mostly been fit while Jota has been injured.

OzfmU6J.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement