Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Great result, more importantly great performance. We controlled the game for most of 90 minutes, and gave them very few chances. Some fantastic performances, but I thought all 11 excelled themselves and ended the game playing with date I say a swagger, something we haven't seen for quite a while.

Our shape was a little different tonight,both fullbacks being somewhat more restrained and Trent in particular playing narrower. This gave more space to Mo and Sadio, and even though I thought Sadio was poor early on, he certainly grew and benefited as the game went on. Thiago played about 10 yards further forward and was definitely more suited to this. Tactics overall were more about trying to get behind the spurs defence rather than saying through it. Thought Gini was excellent and Millie outstanding again, his simplicity and leadership seems to drive those around him.

Even if news on Matip is worrying, huge positives to take from game. Also, such poetic justice in Bobby scoring in 4th minute of injury time, caused by their time wasting tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I don't really watch much football outside of England, you know klopp knows who is the best to bring in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Subotic and Botman in before Monday please and thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Have to give it to FSG; we're the only fans that will defend not spending money.

The club has cashflow constraints and any purchase will be funded by borrowing. It's up to FSG to decide whether the risk of losing the top 4 and having a poor run in the CL knockouts that may arise from only having one recognised senior CB (Phillips) available for selection is more damaging than borrowing money now.

Btw, since I'm seeing a few twatter suggestions about Klopp being hung out to dry by FSG over this, it's worth mentioning that we paid about £10m over the odds on van Dijk so Southampton wouldn't lodge a complaint about Jurgen tapping him up. That'd be useful money right about now.

In any case, if we do spend big money on a defender, then expect no activity in the summer.

Shanee. wrote: »

Knowing our luck, Botman and Subotic would break each other's legs in an accidental clash on their first day of training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Matip is a brilliant defender. These injuries though, he just cannot be relied on. We should be going into next season with 4 CBs where Matip sadly should only be considered as a 4th choice at best. He breaks down far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Subotić available on a free.

Played 9 years under Klopp at Mainz and Dortmund, so Klopp will know if he's suitable. Seems to have tailed off a bit the past few years looking at his transfer history. But he's worth a shot till June and we can keep him as reserve for a year or two after if he works out.
    DrumSteve wrote: »
    They played 5 at the back tonight?

No, I mean if a team like Spurs goes behind at home, they can't defend against us like other teams have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Announce Lovren.

• Advertisement

Announce Lovren.

Who never played 10 games in a row without getting injured. We'd still have ended up down to Williams, Phillips and midfielders if we'd kept him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Who never played 10 games in a row without getting injured. We'd still have ended up down to Williams, Phillips and midfielders if we'd kept him.

Don't think he's missed a game for Zenith through injury yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Shanee. wrote: »

Before 12pm Saturday please, other wise we'll be facing the likes of Antonio with Sadio and Mo and the back or something!

Might even be 12pm Friday. Just get it done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Well he'd fit right in at the moment unfortunately.

The reason he is a free agent is that he had six months left on his contract and he's just done his ankle ligaments.

Loved watching him play, goal threat also.

It feels weird thanking a post about an injury to a player with strong links to Liverpool.

We all have our motives I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Augme

Feels weird to say this but I think I'd almost be more pissed off if we bought a CB now. Seems like it would just make the decision not to do it at the start of the window even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

.G. wrote: »
    Before 12pm Saturday please, other wise we'll be facing the likes of Antonio with Sadio and Mo and the back or something!

Might even be 12pm Friday. Just get it done!

Sneaky feeling we'll wake up to some promising news tomorrow or Saturday morning ;) We live in hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Augme wrote: »
    Feels weird to say this but I think I'd almost be more pissed off if we bought a CB now. Seems like it would just make the decision not to do it at the start of the window even worse.

I'm hoping that the club are looking for a deadline deal and that they will actually sign a CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

MD1990 wrote: »
    In a weird way a serious injury to Matip could be a good thing for force the owners hand to get a CB.

It is a shame Matip is injury prone. Because for me he is the 3rd best CB in the league when fit.

It's nuts... we need to bring someone in now just to stand still at 'level fucked', rather than dropping down into 'level super fucked'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

How did Thiago play? couldn't get coverage where I was to watch the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

How did Thiago play? couldn't get coverage where I was to watch the game.

Very good - played further forward in the 8, rather than the 6, and looked like he's getting back his match sharpness. Obligatory yellow card, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Very good - played further forward in the 8, rather than the 6, and looked like he's getting back his match sharpness. Obligatory yellow card, of course.

He's definitely gonna get sent off at some point but I kind of love that he doesn't stop committing to challenges even after his yellows :p

• Advertisement

I'm gonna have a stab at our CB partnerships in the PL this season...

VVD / Gomez
    VVD / Matip
    Gomez / Matip
    Fabinho / Matip
    Fabinho / Philips
    Fabinho / Williams
    Henderson / Matip
    Henderson / Philips

Did Fab and Hendo play together in one of the cups? Same with Williams and Hendo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,620 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

We all know FSG are prudent with money. But they will splash out when it requires. Ali, VVD as examples. This is another case of having to pay over the odds to save the ship they built from sinking . I expect a left field signing. It just has to happen!

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

VVD / Gomez
    VVD / Matip
    Gomez / Matip
    Fabinho / Matip
    Fabinho / Philips
    Fabinho / Williams
    Henderson / Matip
    Henderson / Philips

Did Fab and Hendo play together in one of the cups? Same with Williams and Hendo?

Fabinho and Henderson played together v Burnley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

6 wrote: »
    That was more like it tonight.

Improved performance was there v Utd. Better again tonight.

Maybe the title wasn't won in Jan. Right back in the mix now.

Yep the recovery was kickstarted with that improved performance against (an admittedly passive) United even though the result went against us. Thanks Ole for getting us going again.

I was disheartened to learn of Fabbi's absence from defence and consequently Hendo's absence from midfield, but Gini Wijnaldum and Firmino were absolutely magnificent tonight. McManaman gave MOTD to Trent, but Gini or Bobby deserved it today.

All means nothing if we don't keep it going now. We're on the 12 step program to recovery, let's stay on the wagon vrs Hammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Have to give it to FSG; we're the only fans that will defend not spending money.

I guess we all realise how far the club have progressed under their ownership, those of us without short-term memory loss I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Romain Saiss contact expires in the summer. Not exactly first choice at Wolves any more. Could be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Are there fans still saying this? Haven't seen much of it the last week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I ré watched the last few mins of first half and matip was running around like a mad thing, in fact he even ran towards the tunnel at half time?? I wonder did he slip inside or something??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

With MATIP now finally out, he never really was in, only for minutes here and there,, does that mean we now need two CB'S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

VVD / Gomez
    VVD / Matip
    Gomez / Matip
    Fabinho / Matip
    Fabinho / Philips
    Fabinho / Williams
    Henderson / Matip
    Henderson / Philips

Possibly start with Henderson and Philips on Sunday to make it 12.

https://twitter.com/arturpetrosyan/status/1354868866212622356

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Be really nice if having someone on Ignore meant you also didn't see their Thanks because I'd much rather live in blissful ignorance of the type of sad case celebrating a potential career ending injury.

Sure that's all that nomark will have to celebrate when they win nothing again this season!

KevRossi wrote: »

and still our GD is second best only behind City#s

West Ham are 3rd in the Home Table
    Spurs 7th, so it's a tough place to go is Ham .

KevRossi wrote: »

Amazing. More partnerships than I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Are there fans still saying this? Haven't seen much of it the last week or so

Well there's a post just before going on about fans have short memories if they give FSG stick.

This type of crisis falls outside of FSG's business approach so I somewhat understand their lack of action; the problem is how much are they willing to risk losing out on financially this season.

Before Jota and Thiago they got away with very little spending for two years (and the only reason they shelled out on VVD and Allison is because they received a windfall from Coutinho) so are we really meant to swallow their financial responsibility schtick right now? In a time when the club is increasingly becoming a commercial behemoth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

I'm cautiously optimistic that Liverpool won't sign a 4th choice CB, they will be signing Virgil's long term CB partner. The only problem is it will be in the summer.

We have been here before, the "for God's sake just sign a CB" from Sept 2017 to Jan 2018 when the original Virgil deal fell through. FSG waited and i don't see too many complaining about how that worked out.

Fans are fickle by nature and many want instant gratification, no one has a magic wand, we didn't have it from 2015 to Jan 2018 when some fans and lazy journalists talked endlessly about needing to sort of the defensive problems.

It will be solved, just not instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

tinpib wrote: »
    I'm cautiously optimistic that Liverpool won't sign a 4th choice CB, they will be signing Virgil's long term CB partner. The only problem is it will be in the summer.

We have been here before, the "for God's sake just sign a CB" from Sept 2017 to Jan 2018 when the original Virgil deal fell through. FSG waited and i don't see too many complaining about how that worked out.

Fans are fickle by nature and many want instant gratification, no one has a magic wand, we didn't have it from 2015 to Jan 2018 when some fans and lazy journalists talked endlessly about needing to sort of the defensive problems.

Grand as long as you've accepted this season has a high chance of still being a write off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Tbf, during that period we had at least 1 fit CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Just wanna mention , like fabinho before him, what an unbelievable job Hendo is doing at CB. There is no end to this man's talents!!One of the most feared strikers in europe didnt get a sniff for the 45mins he was on the pitch.

The way the game is going , possession based defending, are we more likely to see CMs becoming CBs as they move into the later years of their career ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Well there's a post just before going on about fans have short memories if they give FSG stick.

This type of crisis falls outside of FSG's business approach so I somewhat understand their lack of action; the problem is how much are they willing to risk losing out on financially this season.

Before Jota and Thiago they got away with very little spending for two years (and the only reason they shelled out on VVD and Allison is because they received a windfall from Coutinho) so are we really meant to swallow their financial responsibility schtick right now? In a time when the club is increasingly becoming a commercial behemoth?

Maybe I have that person on ignore because all I see are links to players, sign anyone and a bit about skrtel.

Fwiw I don't think FSG got away with anything. They run the club very well and that includes not getting loans every summer because we could do with 4 players instead of two.

We've kept our best players, giving them improved contacts. Dull as that sounds that is massive for us.

Our commercial revenue has increased according to the Deloitte report the other day but compared to utd it still has a way to go.

Unfortunately, like the rest of the world, they've been fncked by circumstances. And what's worse is the prospect of increased income looks poor for the next few years. Even with this generation of vaccine we will still have social distancing so crowds will remain down and for some reason I don't understand the club's have to pay the TV companies money. The TV companies literally have all of the audience and all of the matches.

This is our break glass moment however. We need a loan and we need a centre back. A good one at that. I'd prefer if we didn't put pressure on vvd and Gomez till Christmas.

I genuinely haven't seen a fan against a signing in the last few days/weeks ..... Lol until the post just after yours this morning. 🀣😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I made the comment in the Premier league thread a week ago that although we have had some bad results we are still controlling games
    People laughed at me and said we are not we are just being allowed have the ball,

But you'd have to ask yourself how come our FRAIL CB have not been tested at all really in any game,
    We have been outrageously good at controlling games that no one is getting a chance to ever out the lads at the Back under sustained pressure,
    This has been without Fab and Henderson non midfield which makes it more remarkable ,

Teams must be lining up thinking oh we can get at them but they just never get the chance to build anything up , All the lads have to deal with are long through balls,

When we get our CBs back I think we can get our CBs I expect a huge win streak but it probably wont be till next season ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    My god the defending of Spurs. We should loan them some center backs

please ....... :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I agree without but surely we can get someone who is better than Phillips or Williams in on loan for 6 moths ,
    That all I'm asking for I don't expect us to sign a proper CB till the summer but we need someone

If Matip is long term you cant expect Fabhino and Henderson to play every game back there ,

Id be looking at getting 2 lads on loan we needed 1 before last night,
    Rushing Matip back can't have helped,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Klopp has the same number of league wins against Mourinho as Pep Guardiola (3, Manchester City), Alex Ferguson (1, ex-Manchester United) and Arsene Wenger (1, ex-Arsenal).

This doesn't mean Klopp is as good as the other three combined......or does it? Seriously though it probably just illustrates the special one is becoming a spent force, living off the glory days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The transfer window closes at 11.00pm on February 1st, also, signing any overseas player is a bit more complicated because of Brexit, it's similar to signing non-EU players in the past, certain criteria must be met. Not sure what's the situation with signing free agents outside the window, I think you can, but, depending on when they became free agents they may or may not be eligible to play before the next window. Not much time for club to bring in a CB and options will be very limited once the window closes.

That was a brilliant win last night. Performance to match too.

6 wrote: »
    That was a brilliant win last night. Performance to match too.

Have to agree only thing that was missing was a goal for Mo but he did have a great finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If Liverpool don't sign any new CB's, and still win the league this season (which is not beyond the realms of possibility) using a mish mash of midfielders & youth players as the CB's for the remainder of the season, it'll arguably be the greatest achievement by Klopp, Liverpool, and any team for that matter in English football League history. Even better than winning the league last season by a gazillion points.....

I Believe. And I trust Klopp.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement