Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Robbo's greatest assets is his energy and crossing abilities, why would anyone want to shift him into a CB position.
    I have a feeling Robertson may slot into centre back later on in his career, but for now I think his best position for us is full back. I could actually see him as a ball-playing centre back in the $ergio Ramo$-sense going forward in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I have a feeling Robertson may slot into centre back later on in his career, but for now I think his best position for us is full back. I could actually see him as a ball-playing centre back in the $ergio Ramo$-sense going forward in his career.

I genuinely can't see it, he's only 26 and is by far one of the best fullbacks around at getting forward and tracking back. I see him continuing that trend for at least another four years.

I also don't think he'd be tall enough for the central positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,625 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

KevRossi wrote: »
    FFS! Matip and VVD have played for 11 minutes together in 20 games.

541380.jpg

11 fookin minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I'm sorry but I couldn't give a fk about some lads being unhappy that a kid is being paid more than them if it meant we get the best footballer of the next 10 years on our team :pac:

Even if it was detrimental to the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reading there that Fab has been in Mbappe's ear for the last two years selling Liverpool to him as they have been good friends since their Monaco days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

You probably won't see this but Happy Birthday all the same, CJ!

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1355398840061468673?s=20

You too if you're reading, Crouchy.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1355433066467110913?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    yeah that's mad, kind of reminds me of Babel, who imo was an unsung hero of 2001. He caught something that just stopped him, I think he was in a wheelchair for a while, career gone over some virus

I always loved Markus Babbel. He used to bomb down the right very similarly to Robertson on the left. Fantastic RB/CB. He took a long, long time to recover from his illness. Strangely I still remember the name of it, but did have to Google the spelling, Guillain–Barré syndrome. He spent a lot of time lying in bed unable to get up.
    Just looking at his Wiki page and surprised to see he only played 42 games for us. I would have thought it was more but that's probably because he played in a good few memorable games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Reading there that Fab has been in Mbappe's ear for the last two years selling Liverpool to him as they have been good friends since their Monaco days.

Hopefully Fab gave him a nice long look at his CL Winners medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Just can't see Mbabbe being a good idea at all. No doubt his talent but him coming in at €400k per week just isn't a sensible idea. Alisson, VVD, Thiago, Salah, Mane would all be looking at that and expecting a serious hike in return. Not to mention everyone else at the club wanting an increase. If the club weren't willing to deliver I'd worry about how that would impact the team spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I would prefer Haaland over Mbappe but hey I’m not fussy. By all accounts theres some question marks over Mbappes mentality and form this season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I just cant see Mbappe happening,its clear he is a fan of Klopp and what we are about but enough to take a dip in wages? i doubt it.
    There is no way we are going to pay his wages let alone the cost of a transfer.

Apart from that i think he is massively over rated.

He's be an expensive CB.

Dcully wrote: »
    There is no way we are going to pay his wages let alone the cost of a transfer.

Indeed, can't see him accepting even £300k/week and can't see FSG paying that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Enjoyed Hendo telling Thiago what to do there in that clip!

But it just shows how vocal Hendo is, even in defensive situations, he still has the awareness to spot opposition runners and players in space to organise his own teammates to fill gaps. Important quality to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

magma69 wrote: »
    Time to move Matip on in the Summer. He's made of glass. Brilliant player when fit but it's just so rare, can't be relied upon.

Move him on to where? Who wants to buy, or even on a free, give a contract to a wonderful CB who is only fit 10% of the time?

Are you suggesting paying off his contract and letting him go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Enzokk

54and56 wrote: »
    Move him on to where? Who wants to buy, or even on a free, give a contract to a wonderful CB who is only fit 10% of the time?

Are you suggesting paying off his contract and letting him go?

I suspect the same club will buy him that will sell us a decent CB in January and not charge us an arm and a leg for theirs that will fit in quickly into our team and the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mbappe is all about the contract, if he signs another with PSG it's impossible, if he doesn't then on paper at least it should be possible to buy him at a good price, 150m? Liverpool could sell years later at 26 for 350m . We talking about a player the same age as Trent. FSG would buy him, just to double their money in 4 years. You won't get that return in a bank over 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Selling Matip is a very stupid idea.

Liverpool are short on CBs, so why release one? VVD & Gomez both won't be able to play every week next season. They'll need breaks. Matip is a very good defender. Play him once a week where he can and he will stay fit and be sound. It's when he is forced to come back quick and play too often that issues arise.

Anyway, Saiss not in the Wolves squad today. Wonder what the reason is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Mbappe is all about the contract, if he signs another with PSG it's impossible, if he doesn't then on paper at least it should be possible to buy him at a good price, 150m? Liverpool could sell years later at 26 for 350m . We talking about a player the same age as Trent. FSG would buy him, just to double their money in 4 years. You won't get that return in a bank over 4 years.

Of course you wouldn’t get that return in bank because it’s make believe stuff.

You think the Neymar transfer record is getting smashed and upped by about 150m to a new record of 350m in 4 years time post Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Matip should be considered 4th choice of at least 4 dedicated CBs, not 3.

4th choice not based on ability but on availability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Raisins wrote: »
    Of course you wouldn’t get that return in bank because it’s make believe stuff.

You think the Neymar transfer record is getting smashed and upped by about 150m to a new record of 350m in 4 years time post Covid?

Worst case he'd break even on wages and transfer fee. Could have him for 4 years for 0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Seems to be a suggestion we've enquired about Issa Diop on loan, but the Hammers want us to guarantee we'll pay 20m for him after the loan finishes.

I don't know a lot about Diop but is it just me or is 20m for a 24 year old not a whole lot of money these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Seems to be a suggestion we've enquired about Issa Diop on loan, but the Hammers want us to guarantee we'll pay 20m for him after the loan finishes.

I don't know a lot about Diop but is it just me or is 20m for a 24 year old not a whole lot of money these days?

Depends if he’s any good really... haven’t paid any attention either, but he’s not getting his game for them anyway...

I see that’s what they paid for him, so they’re just looking for their money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Surely (as someone mentioned in the last week or two) there is a CB playing in the Austrian/Polish/Any league that we could get for 10-12m?

If this lad can't get into the West Ham team, why the F would we pay 20m+ for him (if indeed that was the case) or even take him on loan???

Surely (as someone mentioned in the last week or two) there is a CB playing in the Austrian/Polish/Any league that we could get for 10-12m?

If this lad can't get into the West Ham team, why the F would we pay 20m+ for him (if indeed that was the case) or even take him on loan???

He was the main CB starter for the last two seasons and he started this season then had Covid and since returning from that he has been on the bench mostly and West Ham have only lost 3 league games in that time you don't break up a winning CB partnership

He also could be another feeling the effects of Covid long term.

I have know idea if he is good enough or not for Liverpool.

Weren't we linked with Celtic's CB heavily at the start of the season what's he like and with Celtic in ruins and there season over would he be worth a bid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Weren't we linked with Celtic's CB heavily at the start of the season what's he like and with Celtic in ruins and there season over would he be worth a bid?

The fact that Celtic's season is in ruins probably answers your question

• Advertisement

Girly Gal wrote: »
    The fact that Celtic's season is in ruins probably answers your question

It's not Shane Duffy I'm taking about now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

In other news, Karius got a runout in Berlin after the 1st choice keeper got injured. Didn't have much to do, made a late save.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Looks like someone's trying to force their way out :p

https://twitter.com/realmadriden/status/1355537413561585664?s=20

Worst case he'd break even on wages and transfer fee. Could have him for 4 years for 0

If he signs an extension prior to being sold? Lots of its and buts in your 'plan'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Was it Ajer? Would love us to go for him, very good player, and would fit us I think. Still young and a bit raw but with a huge ceiling.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Was it Ajer? Would love us to go for him, very good player, and would fit us I think. Still young and a bit raw but with a huge ceiling.

That's the lad.

Just had a look there he seems to be playing right back a bit so not sure what that means when Duffy is the starting CB and he is having a mare of a season by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

In other news, Karius got a runout in Berlin after the 1st choice keeper got injured. Didn't have much to do, made a late save.

With no crowds this season would have been a great season for Karius to build up his confidence again if he was playing regularly(with another team)Rather than signing a new backup keeper I wonder would it be worth taking him back next season as 2nd/3rd choice keeper, now that Adrian is a busted flush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Ajer is a class act and rarely injured as well which is a boon. In with Haaland as well maybe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

With no crowds this season would have been a great season for Karius to build up his confidence again if he was playing regularly(with another team)Rather than signing a new backup keeper I wonder would it be worth taking him back next season as 2nd/3rd choice keeper, now that Adrian is a busted flush.

No, best for all concerned if he moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Win tomorrow and we are back in a very good position.

RB Leipzig vs. Liverpool Champions League clash in doubt as Germany bans UK travel
    Liverpool are facing a Champions League headache after the German government banned all flights from the U.K. until Feb. 17 to stop the spread of COVID-19 in Germany.

The Premier League champions are set to face RB Leipzig in Germany on Feb. 16 but may now need to find an alternative solution.

Playing the game at a neutral venue is one possibility open to the sides, or swapping the venues for the first and second leg.

That would mean Leipzig travelling to Liverpool for the first-leg on Feb. 16 and Jurgen Klopp's side playing in Germany on March 10.

Leipzig would be able to travel to Anfield and back for the first leg as German passport holders and residents are allowed to travel to Germany where they'd be tested straight away.

The ban has been put in place by the German government to contain the spread of the new variant of the coronavirus from high-risk countries.

COVID-19 has already forced the postponement of several Premier League fixtures this season. However, those came about because of outbreaks at clubs rather than travel bans.

German football has largely been unaffected by the COVID-19 pandemic during the 2020-21 campaign. Although several high-profile players have tested positive, no Bundesliga matches have been postponed so far.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/4302071/rb-leipzig-vs-liverpool-champions-league-clash-in-doubt-as-germany-bans-uk-travel

They should award us the game, Konate & Upamecano if they are unable to fulfil the fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fly into Prague and get a coach.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Diop with a 20m obligation to buy would be a good deal. You can't really lose at that price, lots of experience and potential

Looks like there will be a pretty big overhaul of the squad in the summer.

If we do sign a CB in the next day or two and they have planned to buy one in the summer as well that would leave us with 7 CB's,

I would imagine then Phillips will be sold and Williams will go out on loan and that would leave us with 5.

Gini, Shaq, Origi, Milner, Adrian, Phillips, Grujic, Wilson, Ojo, Karius, Awoniyi will go or be sold in the summer most likely.

R Williams, van den Berg, Elliott, Grabara out on loan.

• Advertisement

........... I wonder would it be worth taking him back next season as 2nd/3rd choice keeper, now that Adrian is a busted flush.

Definitely not, wouldn't do the chap any good IMO and I doubt you could rely on him. Kelleher is an able deputy for Alison as we've seen a few times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ratracer

Looks like there will be a pretty big overhaul of the squad in the summer.

If we do sign a CB in the next day or two and they have planned to buy one in the summer as well that would leave us with 7 CB's,

I would imagine then Phillips will be sold and Williams will go out on loan and that would leave us with 5.

Gini, Shaq, Origi, Milner, Adrian, Phillips, Grujic, Wilson, Ojo, Karius, Awoniyi will go or be sold in the summer most likely.

R Williams, van den Berg, Elliott, Grabara out on loan.

How long has Matip left on his contract? I can see him being moved on in the summer if it’s short, he’s a great player, but more fragile than Sturridge ever was!

Christian Flak is reporting that Konate release clause is £36m

Upamecano's release clause was reported as £40m.

Could do worse than spending £75m on both of them

ratracer wrote: »
    How long has Matip left on his contract? I can see him being moved on in the summer if it’s short, he’s a great player, but more fragile than Sturridge ever was!

Till June 2024.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement