Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

brevity wrote: »
    YouTube video here...

https://youtu.be/i21zNqm3ZjM

I know YouTube can make anyone look good, but he doesn't look too bad.
    Is he good enough to replace Fabinho or Henderson?
    That's what I want.
    Would like those guys back in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I'm just stealing stuff from the liverpool fc sub-reddit but by all accounts he is quite good:

https://www.deepdaledigest.com/analysis/ben-davies-to-liverpool-who-is-the-preston-centre-back-who-looks-to-be-anfield-bound/

The premier league will be a step up obviously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

A bit frustrating that Phillips wasn't used sooner giving a solid 45 mins against Spurs and 90 against West Ham. He has to be ahead of Williams now in terms of cover.

Great win. Second goal was phenomenal. Robertson headed clearance from the corner. TAA saw Shaqiri and adjusted his body to get the perfect cross.
    Shaqiri saw Mo running ahead and had decided what pass he was going to make before the ball even came to him.
    Mo, what a first touch and bang 2-0.

Definitely playing with our old spark. Frustration is that nothing has changed in terms of personal over the last number of weeks so what has changed mentally?
    Was losing the home record to Burnley the final kick in the ass that these players needed?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Could be the next Robbo. At the very least he can run about and pass a ball. We'll take that right now as he'll have a senior CM beside him most games.

Signing Ben Davis for £2 million could mean that we already have a big name lined up for summer (someone who can't sign until then).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There must be some element to Davies' game that has piqued the interest of Edwards and his team - be it passing, aeriel duels, positioning, recovery pace etc.

And I certainly won't lay claim to have watch him play any games to know which one it is! But if Celtic and Burnley were looking at him, there must be something in him to say that he could potentially step up to a certain level. He might only be cover. Play the odd game.

One thing I will say is to not knock him because of his transfer fee, current club or league level. There was a lot of calls for Liverpool to sign Ben White last summer for big money based on his performances in the Championship.

If Davies can put in performances akin to Philips today - well it will help. Philips was good to be fair to him. I don't particularly rate him but I he deserves credit for how he played - especially winning that header in the first half while West Ham had a free kick in a dangerous position. Even his passing was decent too.

Obviously he is not the level of CB we thought would come in and really push for the league or CL, but it's where we are. Amazing the way that 2 wins on the bounce can give a bit of positivity!

Thiago practising his tackling.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

fyfe79 wrote: »

No need for that fyfe. Disgusting. You need help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Signing Ben Davis for £2 million could mean that we already have a big name lined up for summer (someone who can't sign until then).

Wonder will Davis be the only CB coming in tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There are already fans trawling his twitter feed going back years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Oh by the wayy Phillips was immense today
    Didnt look out of place or under pressure once
    Even if we move him on surely another Prem team would fancy him on his displays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

There's one in particular who only seems to show up when games are going badly.

Was here in the first half today again. Every time I'm on here, there's some random negativity coming from him. It's been a bloody great 4 days, hasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

EtFIN6WXMAAv_-p?format=jpg&name=small

Yeah..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Bobby be like, there's one for you Gini - you deserve a goal my man.

That's made my Sunday. Bossed it like the Spurs game. Thiago settling in nicely alongside Gini and Milner raging against the dying of the light. Mojo back for Mohammend and all 4 defenders with solid performances. Cant ask for more, love these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Son with one of the Leipzig CBs in the summer please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I would explode if we got Son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Could be this guy

Caleta-car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

He's like a less expensive Maguire.

thank you Fish Man. I was wondering who Nat Phillips reminds me of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Can't see Philips and Davies being on the same team sheet for a while at least, so I still imagine it will be one of fab/hendo plus one of Philips/Davies for the most part of the remainder of the season. Would be nice to get one more experienced CB in too but not likely it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Vicxas wrote: »
    I would explode if we got Son.

Lol, imagine us trying to negotiate with Daniel Levy for Son.

I know Edwards is good, but that's next level. We'd end up giving them Salah for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mo Salah has now scored 90 Premier League goals.

If he maintains his rate for the next 7 years hell over take Shearer :D

The club were close to getting Marseille’s Duje Caleta-Car and Marseille were trying to get a replacement is being reported tonight but looks unlikely now as they can't get a replacement.

He was at the airport today ready to fly to Liverpool.

Also reported he was the first choice for the club.

EtFIN6WXMAAv_-p?format=jpg&name=small

That was Gini welcoming Bobby on as a sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Great win today, that second goal was sublime, well all three were but that especially. I never had any doubt we'd find a way out of the slump as suddenly as we found ourselves in it, I this week has been almost perfect in terms or our results and everyone else's. Mad how quickly things can change around, that cup game did us the world of good, straight knock out away at our bitter rivals, we had to turn up and go for it and we did, found our mojo in the process.

Big game mid week, if we can get a win there they game at the Eithad will be something else. Just keep winning and see where it takes us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Is this end of storm documentary in 2 parts? Watching on demand and it ended at Covid part

Paul Joyce reporting that 2 CBs are wanted.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1356005181725548544?s=19

SlickRic wrote: »

And let me tell you, there are plenty of games we wouldn't have won without him. We wouldn't have a European Cup or a Premier League without him either.

In other "news", tomorrow in Monday and we'll have Tuesday after that.

Anyone know of Duje Caleta-Car? Plays with Marseilles.

aB2kD3Tl.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Is this end of storm documentary in 2 parts? Watching on demand and it ended at Covid part

Wasn't for me, watched it in one show on Sky documentary, don't want to spoil it for you but if you are dying to hear what happens in the end
    we win the league and become World, European and English champions

Fitz* wrote: »
    Paul Joyce reporting that 2 CBs are wanted.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1356005181725548544?s=19

In this window alone, or including the summer?

If this window alone, why are they leaving it so late I wonder. Surely Matip's latest injury can't have been that surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

.G. wrote: »
    Great win today, that second goal was sublime, well all three were but that especially. I never had any doubt we'd find a way out of the slump as suddenly as we found ourselves in it, I this week has been almost perfect in terms or our results and everyone else's. Mad how quickly things can change around, that cup game did us the world of good, straight knock out away at our bitter rivals, we had to turn up and go for it and we did, found our mojo in the process.

Big game mid week, if we can get a win there they game at the Eithad will be something else. Just keep winning and see where it takes us!

Game is on at Anfield next week end

Duje Caleta-Car might still be on then if Marseille find his replacement.

Croatian, apparently.... a true replacement for Dejan!

Gotta say, with a name like Duje Caleta-Car, and the fact he plays with Marseille, I assumed he was French African.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Game is on at Anfield next week end

Even better!

Croatian, apparently.... a true replacement for Dejan!

Gotta say, with a name like Duje Caleta-Car, and the fact he plays with Marseille, I assumed he was French African.

Just did the usual YouTube search. He's a big lad!!
    Very physical player. I could see him giving a few free kicks away!
    Not sure what he's like on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Easier said than done but if we can win our next two we right in this. I would put them down as must wins but saying that the last two were as well.

City have a maximum points total of 98pts whereas ours is 91. We desperately need to chip away at that with our last remaining shot. I can see them getting more than 91 currently.

Not overlooking Brighton either. That will be a test no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Posted this a month ago - easy business this scouting lark :p
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    France looks the place to go for value with their tv deal collapsing and money being an immediate concern.

As a dark horse, would look at Duje Ćaleta-Car at Marseille - big strong 24 year old Croatian international, and another World Cup runner up to replace Lovren! Good on the ball, and good passing range.

West Ham tried to buy him last window, but he wanted to stay at Marseille and play for them in the Champions League. They’re out now, but he could get a second bite at that this season with us.

Looking at the breakdown Preston gave of Davies, it seems like the corresponding attributes between the pair are CB's that are comfortable on the ball - makes sense.

Happy it seems someone is gonna be coming in one way or another anyway - badly needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

CaletA-Car, CaletA-Car.
    He is a big Croatian who used to play in France...

Well that is the start of a song, now we just have to sign and hope he is any good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There was another French league CB, plays for Lille I think who has been strongly talked of.

Give them R Williams on loan as his replacement,

Villa-Boas would be a good coach for him as well.

Was he 3rd choice behind Dejan and that lad with the long blonde hair (plays for one of the Russian clubs?) at the WC?

There was another French league CB, plays for Lille I think who has been strongly talked of.

Sven Botman?

Give them R Williams on loan as his replacement,

Villa-Boas would be a good coach for him as well.

Or tell them that Origi is a defender.

VVD, Summer Signing, January 1, January 2, Gomez and Matip start next season with 5 center backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's a pity they didn't sign Davies at the start of Jan, could have used the FA cup games to integrate him into the squad. Difficult to throw him in straight away especially with how well Philips has done in last 2 games, plus with the games coming up there's no real great opportunity to ease him into the team, pretty much all our next 5/6 games are crucial.
    I wonder who will go into the CL squad Philips or Davies, I think someone would need to drop out or for one or both to be included, would think Gomez and VVD would be removed as both unlikely to play again this season.

Wouldn't be surprised if Philips replaces Williams in the CL squad, and Davies replaces one of Gomez/VVD (whoever's in a worse state), or Adrian, maybe?

Was there anymore said about Mane's injury today Is it 3 weeks that was suggested here earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Wouldn't be surprised if Philips replaces Williams in the CL squad, and Davies replaces one of Gomez/VVD (whoever's in a worse state), or Adrian, maybe?

Tbf Virg has more chance of getting a game at this stage than Adrian.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement