Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

whoever we get, I will be fascinated by who starts against City at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

retalivity wrote: »
    Maybe a summer deal rather than today...
    He's joining Bayern, his representatives have made no secret of their meetings with the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

https://twitter.com/goal/status/1356258756481323011

Maybe a summer deal rather than today...

Buy him now, then loan him back until the summer. Seems like the smartest idea, don't want to be getting dragged into a bidding war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think Matip will be gone in the summer.

I don't think Fabinho will be kept as a 4th choice CB option. The experiment has failed as he is missed more in midfield.

VVD, Gomez, new summer signing and Ben Davies. Williams there as cover. I think Phillips has shown enough about him to play for a lower Premier league club so could be moved on in the summer.

Ben Davies will get game time this season, get an increased pay check and will look to Robertson as an example to back himself to play at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sometimes you have to judge the player and not the team they are in. Schalke have been on the slide for a couple of seasons with one poor coach after another. The rocket scientists at Melwood Kirkby must have run the numbers and given him the eye test otherwise they'd have been looking elsewhere.

Kabak was managed by Klopps best friend David Wagner last year too, so you'd reckon they've had a pretty thorough chat on his pros and cons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I presume we'd have a 3rd party doctor in there as well?

Kinda funny to have the selling club do the medical - fella'd have a leg half hangin' off and they'd give it a thumbs up "top shape, great lad!" :P

It's mad that all this is happening on deadline day, rather than a month ago. I guess the powers-that-be finally caved when Fabinho joined Matip, Gomez, and VVD in the treatment room.

But someone like Davies, or the Kabak loan (if not required to buy), seem like the sorts of low cost moves that really should have been on the table regardless though... like, surely Davies could've been in the door a month ago.

Yeah for sure. While it is great to be getting a match fit ready to play CB in, there is still that bit of grievance that it is so late in the window instead of Jan 1st like what happened with VVD & Minamino previously. And as you said, it might actually have been the new Fabinho/Matip injuries that kicked the club into action.

My only thinking is that maybe the lad Ćaleta-Car was in fact first choice and the club tried to use the French club's financial situation to their advantage. They held out longer in the month to see what was happening around Europe, see if money was flowing around etc. Perhaps their strategy was to try strong-arm Marseille into accepting a £15m deal late in the month instead of Marseille themselves pushing for £25m at the start of the month when £20m was their original asking price. When that deal wasn't going to go through, Liverpool changed targets to Kabak having built up a relationship with the player (and possibly the club) over the summer. Schalke might have been expecting a phone call about the player at some stage anyways, so it could have been a bit more straight forward there. All 3 parties knew a transfer was going to happen, it was just a case of ironing out the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Rumour going around we are looking at a 3rd singing today ,
    But no one seems to be saying who or what positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I would say that we won't be seeing much more of Nate Phillips if we manage to sign these two centre-backs, which is a bit of a shame. I love a good cult hero! He's done himself proud whenever he's been called upon. Wouldn't be at all against him signing a new contract as 4th or 5th choice CB. Sometimes you just need a big lad that loves heading the ball and physical challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ratracer

Rumour going around we are looking at a 3rd singing today ,
    But no one seems to be saying who or what positions

It's a bit like 'The Voice'....... just push the button FFS!!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I would say that we won't be seeing much more of Nate Phillips if we manage to sign these two centre-backs, which is a bit of a shame. I love a good cult hero! He's done himself proud whenever he's been called upon. Wouldn't be at all against him signing a new contract as 4th or 5th choice CB. Sometimes you just need a big lad that loves heading the ball and physical challenges.

I tell you what Nat out the pressure on the new lads because he didn't put a foot wrong against Spurs or Westham ,

Surely he has got himself a new 4 year contract somewhere on the back of them two games ,

Delighted for him not many know he was on his way to a scholar ship in the States and had basically given up the idea of making it in English football when we came in for him in 2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I think Matip will be gone in the summer.

I don't think Fabinho will be kept as a 4th choice CB option. The experiment has failed as he is missed more in midfield.

VVD, Gomez, new summer signing and Ben Davies. Williams there as cover. I think Phillips has shown enough about him to play for a lower Premier league club so could be moved on in the summer.

Ben Davies will get game time this season, get an increased pay check and will look to Robertson as an example to back himself to play at this level.

Whatever about Phillips, I do not want to see Williams playing CB again for us. He is nowhere near good enough for this level or indeed Championship.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Perhaps their strategy was to try strong-arm Marseille into accepting a £15m deal late in the month instead of Marseille themselves pushing for £25m at the start of the month when £20m was their original asking price.
    It was reported at the weekend that Marseille couldn't secure the player that they wanted to replace Caleta-Car and that's why the pulled the plug on his transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Glico Man wrote: »
    Buy him now, then loan him back until the summer. Seems like the smartest idea, don't want to be getting dragged into a bidding war.

And it's as easy as that.

Love a good gazumping
    Glasgow Celtic in unwilling/unable to pay transfer fee story shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Whatever about Phillips, I do not want to see Williams playing CB again for us. He is nowhere near good enough yet for this level or indeed Championship.

FYP

I tell you what Nat out the pressure on the new lads because he didn't put a foot wrong against Spurs or Westham ,

Surely he has got himself a new 4 year contract somewhere on the back of them two games ,

Delighted for him not many know he was on his way to a scholar ship in the States and had basically given up the idea of making it in English football when we came in for him in 2019

Been with us since 2016. I do really like that scholarship story though, for for what it says about him as a person. It's a really really smart thing to do, and something a lot more young English - and really, Irish - players should be looking at. Rather than the churn of lower league football, you can go and get a great college education for free, and then go into the draft for a pro contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Sam Hain wrote: »
    And it's as easy as that.

Worked for Chelsea with Pulisic, and when we signed Naby.

Glico Man wrote: »

There's no real reason for him to take that deal - unless we're willing to reeallyy throw obscene money at the situation, like we did with the Naby deal. The numbers would be far higher in this instance though as there's a higher demand for Upamecano, against richer clubs.

He has a release clause, so there can be no summer bidding war for his fee. The bidding will come in his wage packet - but if you have to pay 20-30% more on his fee by buying earlier, thats a lot of money you now can't give to him directly in wages.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Been with us since 2016. I do really like that scholarship story though, for for what it says about him as a person. It's a really really smart thing to do, and something a lot more young English - and really, Irish - players should be looking at. Rather than the churn of lower league football, you can go and get a great college education for free, and then go into the draft for a pro contract.

I know a young lad who recently made a similar decision,
    Some might see it as giving up on his dream but you'd want to see the facilities he is going to play in and the as you said he gets an education and a route to a good life after football ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It really is mad that the sum total of research conducted by the people paid most to do this is just having a glance at the league table and going "ahh, his team is bad, I suppose he's bad then."

As if we didn't sign two of our most consistent players from relegated sides, Robertson and Wijnaldum.

https://twitter.com/footballdaily/status/1356261115043459074?s=20

It really is mad that the sum total of research conducted by the people paid most to do this is just having a glance at the league table and going "ahh, his team is bad, I suppose he's bad then."

As if we didn't sign two of our most consistent players from relegated sides, Robertson and Wijnaldum.

Robbo ,Gini and Shaq have done alright coming form relegated sides ,

Liverpool will pay an initial fee of just £500,000 for Ben Davies. Michael Edwards is the master at negotiating transfer deals. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

The last 2 signings from relegation fodder turned out ok. I fully expect Kabak to be world class by May, April at the latest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Paul Merson is such a dinosaur in football terms. Relegated teams always have one or two players who will easily slot into other Prem teams. From the current crop Lookman, Pereira and Lundstram will all get moves when they get relegated.

Some ex players who become pundits should really be put out to pasture after five or six years out of the game and replaced. Merson is one of them, much of his opinions are based on how the game was 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

The last 2 signings from relegation fodder turned out ok. I fully expect Kabak to be world class by May, April at the latest.

January, February, March, April, May, June.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

We dodged a bullet there (if we were actually looking at him). That guy is really really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Paul Merson is such a dinosaur in football terms. Relegated teams always have one or two players who will easily slot into other Prem teams. From the current crop Lookman, Pereira and Lundstram will all get moves when they get relegated.

Some ex players who become pundits should really be put out to pasture after five or six years out of the game and replaced. Merson is one of them, much of his opinions are based on how the game was 20 years ago.

Sky got rid of a heap of the old soccer saturday people in the summer, with the exception of Merson. Not because he's any good, but probably worried he'd go off the rails again and they would look bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

SlickRic wrote: »
    whoever we get, I will be fascinated by who starts against City at the weekend.

Fascinated wouldn't be the word id use , anything less than Fab and Matip partnership and ill think well struggle bigtime Vs city - its shocking we could go into that game with neither fit.

Its probably the very last game youd want to debut a new CB from the championship or from a team playing in a foreign league leaking goals to be fair to them. The adjustment to now playing with Premier league champions will be very tough.

If it was a really high profile signing then i could understand the delay all through January ironing out the deal but having waited desperately all month losing ground in the league to now sign a championship defender and someone from the Bundesliga bottom team isnt good enough to be brutally honest. I hope im wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I have no idea what these new CBs will be like at playing out passes from defense but having Henderson pinging the ball from the back in the last couple of matches really illustrated what we have missed since the VVD injury.

I'd almost be ok with Henderson continuing at CB for a while if we could get Fab back into midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Roy done alright after getting relegated with Forest.
    Merson is a tool, lost many a brain cell to the booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Amazing that somebody gets paid very well for spouting absolute nonsense like that.

For the City games it has to be Fab and Henderson at CB we won't throw in one of the new lads ,but we will miss Fab & Hendo absolute massively in midfield ,
    It's such a shame we cant rest up the midfield before the City game but it is what it is,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

murpho999 wrote: »
    Amazing that somebody gets paid very well for spouting absolute nonsense like that.

I'm sure he needs the money after pissíng most of it against a wall and gambling his life away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Delighted we are signing a CB who is an actual aerial threat. We have sorely missed Van Dijk in that regard. You would think Fabinho would be good at that but he doesn't have any real leap in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sky got rid of a heap of the old soccer saturday people in the summer, with the exception of Merson. Not because he's any good, but probably worried he'd go off the rails again and they would look bad

It's not Sky's responsibility to hold his hand. Five or six years out the game and you can become a pundit. That should be it imo. If he goes on the drink then it shows what a hippocrite he is after his arguement with Neil Ruddock at the lunch table about his drinking. Far too many dinosaurs hanging around. The game has moved on a long time since they played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So 2 CB's in for £1.5m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

The number 1 priority is avoiding dead air, Merson is boistrous and talks a lot, often loudly. He is perfect for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

2 days ago we were looking at Aaron Long or Mustafi according to reports.

Kabak on loan is a superb deal. Davies too very cheap as well.
    Both much more proven at CB than Phillips & Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

So 2 CB's in for £1.5m.

That’s nuts. Absolutely nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

tinpib wrote: »
    The number 1 priority is avoiding dead air, Merson is boistrous and talks a lot, often loudly. He is perfect for them.

Plenty of dead air between his ears.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Ah lads he’s a recovering alcoholic. Could happen to anyone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its sky, they have a full roster of clueless clowns and that roster is getting bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

thumb_29615_default_news_size_5.jpeg

HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

brevity wrote: »
    Ah lads he’s a recovering alcoholic. Could happen to anyone.

Yep, recovering alcohol, gambler and was also fond of a bit of Colombian powder too I think.
    I like the guy, he waffles a bit but he's always worth a watch.
    He was very good too on the Carra podcast, spoke very openly about his past.
    He's an example to plenty on how things can be turned around.

rob316 wrote: »
    Delighted we are signing a CB who is an actual aerial threat. We have sorely missed Van Dijk in that regard. You would think Fabinho would be good at that but he doesn't have any real leap in him.

I know he got 3 goals last season but he is only 6'1 is he that good in the air ?

• Advertisement

I actually didn't realise Kabak is only 20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement