Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

MD1990 wrote: »
    2 days ago we were looking at Aaron Long or Mustafi according to reports.

Kabak on loan is a superb deal. Davies too very cheap as well.
    Both much more proven at CB than Phillips & Williams

Philips and Davies are about the same level. Philips has played a year at Stuttgart, he's not a totally green rookie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I know he got 3 goals last season but he is only 6'1 is he that good in the air ?

Its to do with his leap, Fabinho is 6 3" and is very poor in the air offensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

brevity wrote: »
    Ah lads he’s a recovering alcoholic. Could happen to anyone.

It can't happen to anyone. You have to drink first to be an alcoholic, plenty of folk don't including a few in our team.
    Unless you mean the ability to talk nonsense, then yes, apparently anyone can do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Philips and Davies are about the same level. Philips has played a year at Stuttgart, he's not a totally green rookie.

Interestingly Kabak is also ex Stuttgart, and he scored in a game I went to.
    Phllips has played 22 first team games

Bem Davies 250 first team games.

Huge difference in experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

MD1990 wrote: »
    Phllips has played 22 first team games

Bem Davies 250 first team games.

Huge difference in experience

And both up to this season had played 0 top flight games. Philips hadn't let us down yet this year.

I am not slighting Bem, more Philips is above Williams. And we don't know if either are of the level required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Michael Edwards as a "meme" did he ever imagine the world would reach such a pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Not enough fume in the comments of that KFC tweet, must be a lot of Pool fans who like their chicken. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I see that Kabak has a name that is good going forward as well as back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    There's no real reason for him to take that deal - unless we're willing to reeallyy throw obscene money at the situation, like we did with the Naby deal. The numbers would be far higher in this instance though as there's a higher demand for Upamecano, against richer clubs.

He has a release clause, so there can be no summer bidding war for his fee. The bidding will come in his wage packet - but if you have to pay 20-30% more on his fee by buying earlier, thats a lot of money you now can't give to him directly in wages.

You're correct of course, no real value in throwing more money at someone you can get for his reduced release clause, but it does get you ahead of of queue.

As you said, no reason to do it unless he's our absolute number 1 target and want him to pick us now rather than wait. If you leave it up to the contract negotiations in the summer, he may just have better options elsewhere.

Transfer nuances are not my forté by any stretch, but if we did it for Naby, makes some sort of sense we'd try the same for Upamecano to beat the rest to his signature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I like Merson and am not sure why. I don't agree with his comment about signing players from teams with a "loser mentality"
    We signed a LB from Hull and look at him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I like Merson and am not sure why. I don't agree with his comment about signing players from teams with a "loser mentality"
    We signed a LB from Hull and look at him now.

It's a stupid instant reaction. Examples already given of Liverpool players others include Roy Keane, Paolo di Canio, Scott Parker, Craig Bellamy and even Charlie Adam .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I'd be cautious of celebrating either of these deals tbh. Lots of people were lauding Edwards and the Minamino deal last year and he was arguably more proven than either of these CBs. Salzburg laughing away with their 7M now. Both of these lads are punts.

Disappointing not to see a big CB signing on the 1st of Jan when the team needed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Didn't someone post earlier that there is also a super secret 3rd transfer happening tonight.

I wonder who that will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

murpho999 wrote: »
    I see that Kabak has a name that is good going forward as well as back.

Everyone loves a palindrome. I've a soft spot for Eze at Palace too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

dmigsy wrote: »
    I'd be cautious of celebrating either of these deals tbh. Lots of people were lauding Edwards and the Minamino deal last year and he was arguably more proven than either of these CBs. Salzburg laughing away with their 7M now. Both of these lads are punts.

Disappointing not to see a big CB signing on the 1st of Jan when the team needed it.

To be fair, the club have got in 2 CBs today for around 1.5m - 2m upfront. That's a really low outlay. Especially when one of them has top level experience and is starting regularly for them at a young age. In a world where cash is extremely tight, that is good business. World class CBs are not going to be signed on deadline day, mid season and for big money.

On the Kabak deal, it's effectively going to be a half season trial for the player to impress the club enough to use their buy option on him. He's going to want to get that move so will have to be on the top of his game every week to get that move. If he is not good enough, then he returns to Schalke and the search for a better, permanent solution begins. If he is good enough, then paying £18m is not exactly going to break the bank for a long term player. But the club are going to be able to get a good look at his first, both on the training ground and in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Glico Man wrote: »
    You're correct of course, no real value in throwing more money at someone you can get for his reduced release clause, but it does get you ahead of of queue.

As you said, no reason to do it unless he's our absolute number 1 target and want him to pick us now rather than wait. If you leave it up to the contract negotiations in the summer, he may just have better options elsewhere.

Transfer nuances are not my forté by any stretch, but if we did it for Naby, makes some sort of sense we'd try the same for Upamecano to beat the rest to his signature.

I think it's a case of different circumstances though... Naby was much coveted by our transfer scouts, and Liverpool sold him on the project. He wanted to come, and they wanted him to come, so he agreed a deal a year early.

Upamecano is a much tougher sell - he's in huge demand from the biggest clubs in the world. You're right that the bid puts us at the front of the line as far as Leipzig are concerned, but not as far as the player is concerned. Either way he's there till the summer anyway, and he (and his agent) know that if he turns down a contract now, he's likely to get a bigger offer in the summer. There's just no incentive for him to accept anything now when he'll have his pick of bigger contracts in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

dmigsy wrote: »

Minamino would easily get 15-20m if he was sold. He was purely a value buy. If he never fits in, its going to still be a great deal financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Didn't someone post earlier that there is also a super secret 3rd transfer happening tonight.

No idea, but the way Edwards is working tonight, I expect we’ll find out in the 92nd minute on Sunday in this sort of fashion:

Q7kyiC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I think it's a case of different circumstances though... Naby was much coveted by our transfer scouts, and Liverpool sold him on the project. He wanted to come, and they wanted him to come, so he agreed a deal a year early.

Upamecano is a much tougher sell - he's in huge demand from the biggest clubs in the world. You're right that the bid puts us at the front of the line as far as Leipzig are concerned, but not as far as the player is concerned. Either way he's there till the summer anyway, and he (and his agent) know that if he turns down a contract now, he's likely to get a bigger offer in the summer. There's just no incentive for him to accept anything now when he'll have his pick of bigger contracts in a few months.

You're entirely correct, however I would prefer to live in my fantasy land that everyone would love to come to Liverpool rather than your harsher reality that he may have other options!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Fitz* wrote: »
    To be fair, the club have got in 2 CBs today for around 1.5m - 2m upfront. That's a really low outlay. Especially when one of them has top level experience and is starting regularly for them at a young age. In a world where cash is extremely tight, that is good business. World class CBs are not going to be signed on deadline day, mid season and for big money.

On the Kabak deal, it's effectively going to be a half season trial for the player to impress the club enough to use their buy option on him. He's going to want to get that move so will have to be on the top of his game every week to get that move. If he is not good enough, then he returns to Schalke and the search for a better, permanent solution begins.

I don't care about a low outlay or saving money for FSG. I want to see a pair of good starting CBs in the team.

In any case, it's only good business if they play games and play well. Otherwise, they're just expensive extra numbers for training and the bench.

Massive pressure on Kabak in particular, a young player effectively playing for his future while trying to settle into a new country and into a title chasing team that asks a lot of it's CBs.

Fingers crossed it works out for both players and for the club but it's a outside punt from any angle you look at it. I wouldn't be backing Liverpool to chase down City based on these two signings. Not ruling it out but these signings don't majorly impact the likelihood of catching them imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I heard it's Bruno Fernandes.

Glico Man wrote: »
    You're entirely correct, however I would prefer to live in my fantasy land that everyone would love to come to Liverpool rather than your harsher reality that he may have other options!

haha, sorry!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did actually try some sort of a crafty offer like you suggest, having done so before, but were knocked back. But sure, there's no accounting for taste!

Newcastle had agreed a deal for Kabak before Liverpool stepped in.

Another gazumping! :)

Liverpool have signed Northern Ireland & Celtic under 21 goalkeeper Liam Hughes as well today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKwdBu5JJKM/

Liverpool have signed Northern Ireland & Celtic under 21 goalkeeper Liam Hughes as well today.

Mystery 3rd signing?

I'll feel better when the two CB's are confirmed leaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Give that aul lad Caoimhin Kelleher a run for his money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Haven’t Celtic used a crazy number of keepers already this year? I heard he was back training with Dungannon these days. But anyway, hope it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

martyos121 wrote: »
    No idea, but the way Edwards is working tonight, I expect we’ll find out in the 92nd minute on Sunday in this sort of fashion:
    Q7kyiC

10.59pm tonight.....

tumblr_oiqq5kVtfU1v1frjoo1_400.gif

• Advertisement

Is this the end of Phillips, I enjoyed the roy of rovers rise

I can’t imagine he was signed just to be marginally better than Phillips. Nat did more than enough lately to warrant keeping his spot in the squad for the rest of the season.

I hope, and assume, that the club have higher expectations of Davies than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Re: Phillips. It's a strange one . Have been very impressed whenever I've seen him this season. But clearly Klopp & co know something or see something in the player we don't.

Is this the end of Phillips, I enjoyed the roy of rovers rise

He may stick around as I can't imagine we'll want to hold onto Matip after this season.

• Advertisement

Southampton were looking for N Williams on loan Liverpool said no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    He may stick around as I can't imagine we'll want to hold onto Matip after this season.

Matip as a 3rd/4th choice CB is a really good option tho. When he's fit he's as good as most. Keeping him fit while playing is the issue. If he was to play in Cup games and used sparingly to rest others then he's well worth a place in the squad if he's happy with that type of role. It's the run of 4/5 games is the problem for him.

I don't see the club selling Matip in the summer he is a great 3rd/4th choice CB and when he isn't playing every week he will have time to recover after games he does play.

VVD/Summer Signing/Gomez/Matip.

Kabak might be the summer signing if he really impresses however I doubt it myself and he will go back to German when the loan ends.

Davies maybe kept as 5th or used as makeweight in a transfer.

Phillips will be sold more than likely.

Williams out on loan.

Billy might be kept around the squad next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I think Klopp might have given up on Matip. One new cb is "responding to the crisis" two is "I can't rely on what I have".

And we know Van Dijk is in his plans, and Gomez is younger, so has far more time to sort out these injuries.

Matip, is brilliant at his best, but in the "Daniel Agger/Ledley King" type of brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

See kuyt on sky sports for deadline day, what happened him did he get surgery I barely recognised him, he looks younger than he did playing 10 year ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How good is Davis? Is he levels above Phillips?
    Phillips has put a lot of pressure on the new lads with hos performances not a foot wrong yet although a lot of his work looked streched if u get me,

Kabak is just crazy good business someone we thoguht about spending big cash on in the summer and now 6 mornhs later with get a half a season test run, Edwards rsally is brilliant even if Kabak is pants its fantastic business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

mightyreds wrote: »
    See kuyt on sky sports for deadline day, what happened him did he get surgery I barely recognised him, he looks younger than he did playing 10 year ago

I said much the same thing when I saw Skertl last year. It must have been a stressful place to work during their era.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I said much the same thing when I saw Skertl last year. It must have been a stressful place to work during their era.

I suppose there's also the 'Phil Jones' effect - most of the time we saw these lads was when they were sweating, haring around the field, with big contorted screaming heads. It's probably a lot easier to look more handsome and put-together in nice clothes, styling etc and within a relaxed setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Minamino to Southampton on loan is in the works.

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1356349326977622026?s=19

Southampton trying for Minamino on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lord you have to feel for Taki.

Edwards just waiting to see if he can send Origi too and get Ings back in return. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Vicxas wrote: »
    Lord you have to feel for Taki.

As a non-eu player (I suppose most uk is now), does he still have to get a minimum number of games per year to satisfy his visa requirement? It used to be like that but not sure if that rule still exists.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement