Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So Fab and Hendo for the City game or does Kabak get thrown into the deep end.

I think if someone were to be thrown in at the deep end at this stage, it would be Davies. He's been at the ground already, and can get into training right away. Have to imagine it'll take a little longer for Kabak between a little quarantine period after travel and everything. Even with the elite sports exemption of the 2 weeks, you still need to test immediately upon arrival, wait a few days, and test again before you can be confident someone's not infected and contagious.
    Knex* wrote: »
    Did we need to let Taki go in order to register Kabak?

Think I read before that we had used the full foreign player allotment.

Would need to let a foreign player go alright... Taki would make sense if he's off on loan. Adrian would do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

If we manage to get top 4 this season given the injury issues it will be yet another incredible achievement by Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We're about two weeks away from Joyce tweeting that Kabak is out for an indefinite period of time after getting lost in the Springfield Mystery Spot

tumblr_na09ceUEmz1tv6zypo1_400.gifv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

54and56 wrote: »
    Clever of the club to keep that info well under wraps until the CB transfers were done.

Matip was actually never injured, someone posted this GIF the last day to sum up what would happen on deadline day after we signed a centre back:

tenor.gif

Unfortunately, using a Kevin Nash GIF to predict what would happen completely f**king jinxed us, and this is roughly what happened to Joel about 5 minutes after Kabak was announced:

2e58ed44754ce1ba-600x338.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we manage to get top 4 this season given the injury issues it will be yet another incredible achievement by Klopp

I'll be disappointed if we don't finish top 2 tbh. Still an excellent squad not mention boasting the best coach in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

martyos121 wrote: »
    Matip was actually never injured, someone posted this GIF the last day to sum up what would happen on deadline day after we signed a centre back :

tenor.gif

Unfortunately, using a Kevin Nash GIF to predict what would happen completely f**king jinxed us, and this is roughly what happened to Joel about 5 minutes after Kabak was announced:

2e58ed44754ce1ba-600x338.gif

That was me, sorry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

At least both Davies & Kabak are currently match fit and wouldn't really need that extra week or two to get up to speed. They've been playing very regularly this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

With jota on the way back and shaq fighting his way back into things a loan for taki to Southampton is good for all three parties involved, I'd love to see him do well and comeback into the mix next summer, at worst we probably sell him for a profit next season.

Absolutely mental maths being out for the season, along with gomez and vvd has a team ever been so badly hammered for injuries for once position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Boards been dying on me today but here we are:

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

I'll be happier when he's back in midfield but Henderson's performance as a defender has been admirable:

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

I guess we'll still be seeing him somewhat now that Matip's out again so Nat was great, he's far more comfortable on the ball than I was lead to believe:

giphy.gif
    giphy.gifgiphy.gif

And he reads the game well too:

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

Getting really tired of the refs offering our players zero protection. No second yellow given on this high boot:

giphy.gif

And no foul at all given on this:

giphy.gif

Salah doing it at both ends:

giphy.gif

Alisson with no saves to make but his sweeping is such an asset, not only does he pretty much always rush out at the right time but he doesn't just hoof it into the stands either:

giphy.gif

What a difference a goal makes:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If Kabak's loan spell goes well we will be able to sing; "I want Kabak, I want Kabak, I waaaant Kabak for good".

A real treat.

• Advertisement

Knex* wrote: »
    If Kabak's loan spell goes well we will be able to sing; "I want Kabak, I want Kabak, I waaaant Kabak for good".

A real treat.

I hear the hook in this song every time I read his name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

giphy.gif

Defiantly lost a yard of pace :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's going to be a huge, huge ask for both these lads to hit the ground running. I would be thrilled if just one of these lads could be competent, at least it takes some of the pressure off the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Defiantly lost a yard of pace :)

Head turned by Real Madrid too, don't you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

It's going to be a huge, huge ask for both these lads to hit the ground running. I would be thrilled if just one of these lads could be competent, at least it takes some of the pressure off the back.

There are likely going to be mistakes in the first few games whilst they learn on the job.

With City only 2 games away, it wouldn't surprise me to see Klopp go with either Hendo or Fabinho at center back for that game for continuity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

RonanG86 wrote: »
    There are likely going to be mistakes in the first few games whilst they learn on the job.

With City only 2 games away, it wouldn't surprise me to see Klopp go with either Hendo or Fabinho at center back for that game for continuity.

Surely that is guaranteed to be the case for a few weeks at least? No way he's starting 2 new players, or one new plus Nat or Rhys. Either Hendo or Fab guaranteed to be in at CB maybe until end of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Minamino might be going to Southampton according to BBC. Seems fair enough, he's a little short of the ability required for us I'm afraid.

Saints submit deal sheet for Minamino

Phil McNulty

BBC Sport chief football writer

Southampton have submitted a deal sheet to the Premier League in an attempt to complete a surprise loan move for Liverpool's Japanese international Takumi Minamino before the transfer deadline.

Saints moved for the 26-year-old hours before the transfer window closed and Liverpool have agreed to let Minamino move to St. Mary's until the end of the season.

Minamino has been on the periphery at Anfield this term, although he played and scored in the 7-0 win at Crystal Palace in December.

The deal sheet means Southampton now have until two hours beyond the 11pm deadline to conclude the transfer having filed the necessary paperwork.

Southampton turned to Minamino after being frustrated with other moves. They hoped to sign Arsenal's Ainsley Maitland-Niles but talks broke down and he has joined West Bromwich Albion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Boards been dying on me today but here we are:
    giphy.gif

Look who is right behind Salah when he scores.....our central defender Henderson!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Matip injured again FFS. I think the club needs to look at replacements for both him and Gomez. Just can't rely on those two lads, good and all as they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Ardent wrote: »
    Matip injured again FFS. I think the club needs to look at replacements for both him and Gomez. Just can't rely on those two lads, good and all as they are.

Gomez is young and he English so we will keep him but certainly matip will be sold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Look who is right behind Salah when he scores.....our central defender Henderson!!

Reminds me of the time when we had two players in and around the opposition box against Palace I think it was. One, out wide, crossed the ball to the other. Both of those players were our centre backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

From their corner I counted 7 touches to us scoring. Could have halved that if stupid trent and Salah didn't need 2 touches of the ball. Three touches much better. At least shaq knew what to do. 1 touch maestro I love you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

___________Alisson_________

_Williams___Nat___Henders___Tsimikas_

____________Thiago______________

__Ox________Jones_________Firmino____

__________Origi___Shaq_____________

Kill em that way

___________Alisson_________

_Williams___Nat___Henders___Tsimikas_

____________Thiago______________

__Ox________Jones_________Firmino____

__________Origi___Shaq_____________

Kill em that way

Against Brighton? You are joking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

emo72 wrote: »
    Against Brighton? You are joking?

We need to rest players.

I'd go with a sitting back 4, and win it with the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Not really impressed with how the club dealt with the CB transfers. They've known since Gomez's injury that a CB was needed, so why wait until the very end of January to sign someone, surely Ben Davies could have been signed a few weeks ago, plus we could have used the cup games to ease him into the team. It's hard to throw the 2 new lads in at the deep and expect them to hit the ground running considering the tough fixtures we have coming up. Tbh I'd still expect a combination of Henderson, Fabinho or Philips at CB over the next few games until the other 2 settle in.
    Obviously Matip being out for the season led to the second CB signing so understandable that the Kabak deal was late in the day, but, no real excuse for Ben Davies not being brought in earlier. Hopefully it's not the end for Philips as he hasn't really done much wrong and I'm not totally convinced the 2 new lads are much of an upgrade, but, better to have them in and available at least we won't have to see Williams again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Schalke have had there pants pulled down on that deal. Michael Edwards has been one of the clubs best signings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Danny Ings went to the saints deemed not worthy..we would take him back now , hopefully taki does similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Not really impressed with how the club dealt with the CB transfers. They've known since Gomez's injury that a CB was needed, so why wait until the very end of January to sign someone, surely Ben Davies could have been signed a few weeks ago, plus we could have used the cup games to ease him into the team. It's hard to throw the 2 new lads in at the deep and expect them to hit the ground running considering the tough fixtures we have coming up. Tbh I'd still expect a combination of Henderson, Fabinho or Philips at CB over the next few games until the other 2 settle in.
    Obviously Matip being out for the season led to the second CB signing so understandable that the Kabak deal was late in the day, but, no real excuse for Ben Davies not being brought in earlier. Hopefully it's not the end for Philips as he hasn't really done much wrong and I'm not totally convinced the 2 new lads are much of an upgrade, but, better to have them in and available at least we won't have to see Williams again this season.

I think our thinking changed once Matip was injured and Fabinho as well. If these injuries didn't happen then we would not have done any business. We are lucky they happened while we could do deals and not 2 weeks later.

Sure, I agree we could have moved earlier, but I think we thought we were fine with Matip, Philipps and Williams with Fabinho and Henderson as cover. Once we lost our last experienced CB we had to make some moves.

Let us remember we only learned Matip is out for the season after the players were signed. I don't think this is a coincidence. Didn't Klopp say it may not be as serious as thought as well? So maybe we would have done Davies even without the Matip injury, but I think Kabak is the one we had to work on to get at the end of the window.

Edit: I wonder if the Minamino loan is partly to get a space for Kabak in the CL squad as well. We will need space for overseas players in the squad and seeing that he seems to have moved down the pecking order, with the front 3 looking good again and Jota to come back, maybe this was a solution that will work for all parties. I hope he gets a run of games to show what he can do.

It is interesting that Southampton wanted an option to buy, we didn't want to give them that. I suspect we still have hope for Minamino and the door isn't completely shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Danny Ings went to the saints deemed not worthy..we would take him back now , hopefully taki does similar

I think that's a bit harsh. Problem with Ings was he had terrible injuries but more importantly Salah, Mane and Firminho were flying. With Bobby dropping off a bit there would have be an opportunity for Ings now but at the time the move was in everyone's interest. These things happen, I mean Chelsea sold Salah to us (inadvertently)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think Phillips and Henderson will be the starting CB pairing for Brighton with Davies coming on if we are a few goals up.

Everyone expecting an easy match against Brighton? Resting players? It doesn't work like that anymore lads, have we learned nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I think We have agreed a big transfer for a summer CB transfer and the money is not there. E gland is well ahead of everywhere else on the vaccine game so crowds should be back in August for the games so we will have an advantage of having set income.
    The money is not there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As great as it was to get the two lads in our season has taken an absolutely massive hit with the injury to Matip

Theres going to be some mistake from a championship player and a 20 years old,In the Champions leauge we will miss Matip hugley

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

magma69 wrote: »
    Schalke have had there pants pulled down on that deal. Michael Edwards has been one of the clubs best signings!

Staggering some of the business he does and all the more remarkable given the the world and his granny knew we where in desperate need of a centre back or two.

Ardent wrote: »

I can envisage them both being sold tbh. Matip will be picked up by a decent European side and Gomez to a Southampton or West Ham type club. Iv'e never rated Gomez anyway so im not that bothered but Matip when he's fit is one of the top centre backs in the world but he's of absolutely no use to us anymore with his injury record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I can envisage them both being sold tbh. Matip will be picked up by a decent European side and Gomez to a Southampton or West Ham type club. Iv'e never rated Gomez anyway so im not that bothered but Matip when he's fit is one of the top centre backs in the world but he's of absolutely no use to us anymore with his injury record.

That's never going to happen, selling 2 of our top 3 defenders. Gomez is a work in progress for sure, but he has tremendous talent and is still young.

Matip will be interesting to see. He'd stay fitter if he didn't have to play so much, and he's always good, he doesn't need to play much. Great 3rd or 4th choice to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Matip is an incredible defender, imo the best at the club outside of Virg.

Never puts a foot wrong, except when he's doing his ligaments.

Feel really bad for him with this injury. I don't actually see him leaving in the summer based on Klopps comments (that he was injured coming in to the season and never properly recovered). All things considered he would probably be 3rd choice if Virg and Gomez were still fit, thereby his injury record wouldn't be as big a deal.

I hope he stays, as when he's fit, he's brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

mightyreds wrote: »
    Klopp should also have seen it coming, sign of a bad manager... Are Klopp and liverpool done

I don't blame Klopp or the club but anyone could see a problem going forward with 3 senior CBs, where two of them had it in them to suffer long term or reoccurring injuries and be out at the same time.

Virgil was the exception but even then, the man is human and it used to piss me off seeing him start in a league cup game.

But I get it, we're not a club that solves all our problems in one Summer transfer window and I don't eexpect us to be so, but we gambled on surviving with our CBs until Summer 2021 so we could strengthen elsewhere. It backfired spectacularly but it is what it is.

• Advertisement

Theres going to be some mistake from a championship player and a 20 years old,In the Champions leauge we will miss Matip hugley

I don't think the two new lads will be playing as a partnership too much this season. Davies is for the bench IMO. Henderson is still likely to see plenty CB minutes this season and so too Fabinho.

emo72 wrote: »
    Everyone expecting an easy match against Brighton? Resting players? It doesn't work like that anymore lads, have we learned nothing?

While I do agree with this, if there is any game to rest Robertson, I would pick this game. Play Tsimikas for 60 mins, with an eye on Man City who have been able to rotate freely lately. Lamptey is out still for Brighton I think. A big loss, and he gave Liverpool a few problems in the past.

That said, I'm happy to play Robbo! There is a midweek free soon so that will be a welcome break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

OH there is also no way the club only found out the extent of Matip's injury last night ,

Klopp knew straight away hence his emotional about Matip comment after the Spurs gane but said nothing until we got some CB in the door, only a little thing but clever none the less ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Preston fan view of Ben Davies on RedmenTV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PeENMZ7DyU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Gomez to a Southampton or West Ham type club.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I don't blame Klopp or the club but anyone could see a problem going forward with 3 senior CBs, where two of them had it in them to suffer long term or reoccurring injuries and be out at the same time.

Virgil was the exception but even then, the man is human and it used to piss me off seeing him start in a league cup game.

But I get it, we're not a club that solves all our problems in one Summer transfer window and I don't eexpect us to be so, but we gambled on surviving with our CBs until Summer 2021 so we could strengthen elsewhere. It backfired spectacularly but it is what it is.
    That was Klopp's decision, he has said it himself that he is the one to blame and he has accepted the responsibility of his decisions. He has always said that his preference is to work with a core group of players and supplement them with youth players.

When we had five senior central defenders there were issues with getting them enough playing time to keep them happy. Klavan left because he wanted regular playing time, Lovren likewise.

We went into the season with three senior central defenders - Lovren wasn't seen as a great loss, he had missed most of the previous season. It was an opportunity to blood young players coming into the senior squad. Nobody could have predicted that the three central defenders would each suffer season ending injuries.

I would hope that Klopp will review his methods and going forward the club will have four senior players for the central defender position. Supplementing them with youth players or Fabinho/Henderson is fine for short term fixes but not for extended periods.

We have missed Fabinho/Henderson in midfield and that has hurt the team more than was gained by having them play in the defence. Man City had the same issue when Fernandinho was used to fill the gap in their defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Not really impressed with how the club dealt with the CB transfers. They've known since Gomez's injury that a CB was needed, so why wait until the very end of January to sign someone, surely Ben Davies could have been signed a few weeks ago, plus we could have used the cup games to ease him into the team.

It's money though. The club just spent £2 million on two players. The future of money in football is still really uncertain. Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, man city, Bayern either didn't sign anyone or got someone on a free.

Davis could have been option 11 on their list. Someone attainable should all of their other options now work out and only because his contract is nearly up. They probably wouldn't have touched him for 8 million.

Did schalke think they might stay up at the start of January before they lost 4 times. Did kabaks value change from helping to keep them up Vs mitigating their relegation.

All the asking clubs would have been looking for much more at the start of January when we asked about other players.

The days where we can wait for the right player like vvd or quietly go about our business to get Fabinho are gone. Not just for us, but for all of football. Let's hope it's temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I think We have agreed a big transfer for a summer CB transfer and the money is not there. E gland is well ahead of everywhere else on the vaccine game so crowds should be back in August for the games so we will have an advantage of having set income.
    The money is not there

Everyone knew we needed a CB in the door at the start of January, Klopp even implied that he was denied a CB in early January, it really shouldn't have taken another Matip injury for the club to act, we all knew Matip was likely to miss at least half our remaining matches even before he got his season ending injury. Getting Ben Davies in at the start of January wouldn't have cost us anymore and may have saved us some dropped points. It's the slow reaction of the club to the CB situation this season that's annoying, the business they have done is fine, but, they really should have moved earlier.
    The Kabak deal was obviously a reaction to Matip's season ending injury so I understand why that was last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gomez is 23 . At 23 Van Dijk was at a Southampton or West Ham level club.

There's no need to go anywhere, career wise, he's ahead of where van dijk was at that age.

That's not me saying Gomez is going to be as good as Van Dijk so people can calm that down before it starts

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    :eek:

He has speed and is good in the tackle but his positional sense isn't up to scratch. Combine that with his injury record and i can see Klopp being ruteless, which is what's needed

He'll have missed a total of 137 games (depending on our Champions league run this season could be more) since the 15-16 season by the end of the current campaign so that's an average of around 27 games a season with injury.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement