Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

emo72 wrote: »
    Everyone expecting an easy match against Brighton? Resting players? It doesn't work like that anymore lads, have we learned nothing?

Also ..every game is must win really,from here in..every game is huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I wonder when will we see Davis or Kobak start,
    I reckon it'll be after City as we have a weeks rest, pity the City game isn't a little further away ,
    We could do with the two lads bedding in and Jota and Keita back ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He has speed and is good in the tackle but his positional sense isn't up to scratch. Combine that with his injury record and i can see Klopp being ruteless, which is what's needed

He'll have missed a total of 137 games (depending on our Champions league run this season could be more) since the 15-16 season by the end of the current campaign so that's an average of around 27 games a season with injury.

Only because i had their stats open for the last post, but just comparing numbers, at a similar point in their careers, Gomez has played 30 odd games less than VVD, while being at a higher level team and league. He's doing alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I can envisage them both being sold tbh. Matip will be picked up by a decent European side and Gomez to a Southampton or West Ham type club. Iv'e never rated Gomez anyway so im not that bothered but Matip when he's fit is one of the top centre backs in the world but he's of absolutely no use to us anymore with his injury record.

All I can say is that I'm glad we have a good manager and coaching staff in place to make these decisions.

Gomez is playing at a very high level and top class centre backs are very hard to get.
    He will also get better with age.

Matip has been unfortunate but is quality. Issue for me is if he's just unlucky and had a bad run or is declaring himself unfit a lot like Sturridge did.

A fully fit Matip & Gomez improve our squad greatly and should be looked after not just turfed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Actually just read in the athletic that the club contacted schalke in November and were told the fee was €25 million.

Edwards talks them down to almost nothing upfront and maybe nothing later on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

murpho999 wrote: »
    All I can say is that I'm glad we have a good manager and coaching staff in place to make these decisions.

Gomez is playing at a very high level and top class centre backs are very hard to get.
    He will also get better with age.

Matip has been unfortunate but is quality. Issue for me is if he's just unlucky and had a bad run or is declaring himself unfit a lot like Sturridge did.

A fully fit Matip & Gomez improve our squad greatly and should be looked after not just turfed out.

It doesn't matter how good they are if they aren't fit they can't be trusted. Gomez looks to have a similar injury record to Matip at a glance but Matip is levels above him in terms of ability and gomez is most certainly not "top class"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It doesn't matter how good they are if they aren't fit they can't be trusted. Gomez looks to have a similar injury record to Matip at a glance but Matip is levels above him in terms of ability and gomez is most certainly not "top class"

As I said it depends on what's happened to them.

Danny Ings could be deemed untrustworthy but look at him now.

If players can move on from their injuries then you just have to put it down to bad luck.

As for Gomez, I never actually said he's top class but playing at a very high level.

1st choice centre back for current league champions and playing for his country and he's only 23.

If that's not top class or on the way to it then I don't know what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Selling not 1, but 2 CBs in the summer is utter stupidity. For a club who is already short on CBs, wanting to sell them just doesn't make sense.

That means having to bring in 2 or 3 CBs extra to replace these outgoings, on top of other signings, and then try bed them and build partnerships with VVD and each other on the pitch during the season.

The smart thing is to keep both Matip & Gomez at the club, and bring in an other permanent CB who is more reliable fitness wise. That means only 1 CB max will actually have to try and settle into the club, as opposed to 3. If that is Kabak, then no more settling in is required. 'Relegate' Gomez & Matip down the pecking order but keep them at the club if anything.

Gomez is one of the best 23 year old CB in world football, he isn't going anywhere just yet but if injuries continue then we can get rid in summer of 2022,

No point selling Matip because you won't get anything for him,
    Let him run his contract down and play him when its possible,
    Yes we can't rely on him but also no need to bomb him out, He will be happy to be 4th or 5th choice until he proves he can stay fit and if he does prove that then he is good enough to be bumped up ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What happens if VVD comes back half the player he was that is a very serious knee injury he has.

If he breaks down a few times in the few months he after he returns should he be shown the door along with Gomez and Matip.

It's very easy to say rip up contract and show players the door

However when they all have long term contracts on very good money it's a lot harder to do in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Matip is 29 years old, Gomez is 23. The six year difference is a wealth of experience for a central defender, but you probably knew that already.

Matip made 258 appearances for Shalke in 7 seasons. At Liverpool he has made 123 appearances in 5 seasons. Playing for Liverpool has obviously taken a physical toll on the player.

Gomez hasn't had the benefit of playing in a less physically demanding league for the early part of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

It always baffles me when people slam footballers for getting injured. Its part of their job, its also part of the clubs responsibility to look after and rehabilitate them. If they are willing to play with a small injury, which then becomes a big one, its not their "fault" and they should be given a bit of respect.

Even sick notes like Sturridge, he had the pleasure of watching his career slip into nothing from the comfort of the physio table. Cant be easy for any of them. And then fans just call for them to be sacked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

What happens if VVD comes back half the player he was that is a very serious knee injury he has.

If he breaks down a few times in the few months he after he returns should he be shown the door along with Gomez and Matip.

It's very easy to say rip up contract and show players the door

However when they all have long term contracts on very good money it's a lot harder to do in reality.

I actually half thought of that, then I remembered how much of a beast he is...

Really needs to be wrapped up in cotton wool for the summer and not rushed back for the euro's or will make himself worse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

emo72 wrote: »
    Everyone expecting an easy match against Brighton? Resting players? It doesn't work like that anymore lads, have we learned nothing?

Brighton were all over Spurs the other day, played really attacking and forceful football. If we are not up for it early doors they will be all over us. There are some posters here who mean no harm but whose opinion should be largely ignored. As for the moaning Gal, you wouldn't want to be in need of cheering up from a girlfriend like that.

Fieldog wrote: »
    I actually half thought of that, then I remembered how much of a beast he is...

Really needs to be wrapped up in cotton wool for the summer and not rushed back for the euro's or will make himself worse...

Have to agree no way should we be playing him against this season,
    Give the big man all the time he needs and no way in hell would i be letting him go to the Euros if we can tlak him out of it great,

Only way i think we will see VVD is if we get to the semi final or final of the champions league ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I wonder when will we see Davis or Kobak start

i'd be shocked.

it'll be Hendo and Phillips at the back I'd say.

VVD is Holland captain, he will absolutely want to be playing the Euros. Especially as Holland didn't qualify for the World Cup, he will want the opportunity to captain his country at a major tournament.

I hope he doesn't rush himself back for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'd be shocked.

it'll be Hendo and Phillips at the back I'd say.

Yeah I think it’ll be that. Any way Klopp doesn’t start players who haven’t been bed into the system if he can help it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Actually just read in the athletic that the club contacted schalke in November and were told the fee was €25 million.

Edwards talks them down to almost nothing upfront and maybe nothing later on.

Pearce is a huge FSG cheerleader, he'll next write an article about how Davies was first considered instead of Van Dijk next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

VVD will be DYING to get back for the Summer. ACL can be minimum of 6 months but alot of players are ready to go before that timeline - it is however hugely risk proportionate to return too fast as the % of a re-occurrence is massive the closer to 6 months you return. So usually the 9 month marker is a better time.

I'd be much happier to see him step up his intense training over the summer period, maybe a few closed sessions with contact etc before being ready for our season in Aug. Going into a major tournament when all the others players are off the back of full seasons and you are only getting going is a huge gamble imo.

That said - an ACL injury usually has the player taking time to recover to the level of where they were - (If ever) - so if he does go with Holland then hopefully it will stand to him by the time the league starts.

Having had an ACL and re-occurrence years later - looking back now the physical recovery was a breeze - the mental recovery was the toughest. You are so careful when turning sharply - when tackling - anything that doesn't involve just running in a straight line. I always watch players that come back from ACL closely as it's interesting to see how they perform compared to before. Fingers crossed VVD can come back 100% ... all be it against the odds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kabak was negotiated as a loan for a reason. They obviously want to keep their options open and will almost certainly be going after a "big" talent in the summer if he isn't looking very promising.

In all likelihood they'll be

VVD, Gomez, Kabak/NEW, Matip and one other player which probably won't be Williams or Phillips but could be Davies staying as he is left pegged and can play left back.

As much as it pains people Fab has shown beyond doubt he is a good centre back and will be used in an emergency next season if the worst happens. If Klopp has to play Hendo/Thiago deepest for the odd game it's hardly a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fitz* wrote: »
    While I do agree with this, if there is any game to rest Robertson, I would pick this game. Play Tsimikas for 60 mins, with an eye on Man City who have been able to rotate freely lately. Lamptey is out still for Brighton I think. A big loss, and he gave Liverpool a few problems in the past.

That said, I'm happy to play Robbo! There is a midweek free soon so that will be a welcome break.

Nice that Davies can cover the left side too... nice to have a few options hopefully not flog our remaining fit players over the rest of the season.
    rob316 wrote: »
    Pearce is a huge FSG cheerleader, he'll next write an article about how Davies was first considered instead of Van Dijk next.

I keep seeing this being said of Pearce and Reddy... both wrote scathing articles about our absolute need to buy CB's earlier this month though. Don't think either are as utterly blinded as is so often made out. They're no Paul Tomkins like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Talisman wrote: »

Some very nice touches there... though they did still lose 3-0 :o

Took a look at the match highlights there - Davies had no part in goals 2 and 3, but for the 1st one he got a bit tied up in knots trying to defend against Sterling.

Apparently the club robbed Newcastle of a signing ...

https://twitter.com/Iandennisbbc/status/1356318371059552256
    Newcastle United had agreed a deal with the Turkish defender Ozan Kabak before Liverpool nipped in to sign the defender from Schalke.
    #LFC blew Newcastle out of the water once they registered their interest with a loan deal where they have an option to buy for £18m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Having had an ACL and re-occurrence years later - looking back now the physical recovery was a breeze - the mental recovery was the toughest. You are so careful when turning sharply - when tackling - anything that doesn't involve just running in a straight line

Can relate to this, not ACL but my shin got done in a la Eduardo vs Martin Taylor.

Almost 10 years ago now and I still have moments where I'd think twice stepping down off a curb or something.

Can't imagine what it's like for players when you have to go back into that physicality because it's your livelihood. I'd find it hard to believe any player gets back 100% to what they were before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

VVD will be DYING to get back for the Summer. ACL can be minimum of 6 months but alot of players are ready to go before that timeline - it is however hugely risk proportionate to return too fast as the % of a re-occurrence is massive the closer to 6 months you return. So usually the 9 month marker is a better time.

I'd be much happier to see him step up his intense training over the summer period, maybe a few closed sessions with contact etc before being ready for our season in Aug. Going into a major tournament when all the others players are off the back of full seasons and you are only getting going is a huge gamble imo.

That said - an ACL injury usually has the player taking time to recover to the level of where they were - (If ever) - so if he does go with Holland then hopefully it will stand to him by the time the league starts.

Having had an ACL and re-occurrence years later - looking back now the physical recovery was a breeze - the mental recovery was the toughest. You are so careful when turning sharply - when tackling - anything that doesn't involve just running in a straight line. I always watch players that come back from ACL closely as it's interesting to see how they perform compared to before. Fingers crossed VVD can come back 100% ... all be it against the odds.

I've done both my ACL's and my right one twice...the mentality side of it is horrendous!! I really hope the big man can over come it...In a way I do hope he makes it back for the Euros as that will be a true test of where he is at both physically and mentally...

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Took a look at the match highlights there - Davies had no part in goals 2 and 3, but for the 1st one he got a bit tied up in knots trying to defend against Sterling.
    In fairness to him, he couldn't cover the whole goal and he got a foot on the shot but not enough to prevent the goal after he recovered from being sold the dummy. If Fisher (#2) hadn't had a charge at Sterling the situation wouldn't have developed as it did. At Liverpool, he'd have Henderson or Fabinho screening in front of him so the likes of Sterling wouldn't get to make that run at him.

• Advertisement

Surgery for Matip and a big loss in the dressing room as well.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1356589974980857856?s=20

VVD won't be playing again this season for Liverpool

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1356596642087059456?s=19

Minamino needs games to adapt to the level of the Premier League. It was a massive step up joining directly from Salzburg. In that regard the loan with Southampton is a good opportunity for the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Talisman wrote: »
    Apparently the club robbed Newcastle of a signing ...

https://twitter.com/Iandennisbbc/status/1356318371059552256

To be fair I think ashley misheard bruce, he really asked for a kebab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Shouldn't everyone be a huge FSG cheerleader? They took the club from Hicks and Gillet, signed one of the best managers in the world and supported him in building his own squad while redeveloping Anfield. They brought the league back to Liverpool. We are the current champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Under FSG we have:

Won the PL and CL.

Been to two CL finals and an EL final.

2 League Cup Finals.

FA Cup Final.

Assembled one of the best Liverpool teams many fans have seen.

Kept us at Anfield and redeveloped.

They're not perfect but they have done well for LFC.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I've done both my ACL's and my right one twice...the mentality side of it is horrendous!! I really hope the big man can over come it...In a way I do hope he makes it back for the Euros as that will be a true test of where he is at both physically and mentally...

That's a good way of looking at it actually. For selfish reasons I was hoping he won't be involved in the Euros. But sure if he's given the green light physically then all good as long as it's not a case of him being rushed back or him rushing back himself too early.

That'll do him the world of good mentally ahead of the new season then & he should come in to it flying all things going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Shouldn't everyone be a huge FSG cheerleader? They took the club from Hicks and Gillet, signed one of the best managers in the world and supported him in building his own squad while redeveloping Anfield. They brought the league back to Liverpool. We are the current champions.

I'm a huge FSG fan, maybe my post came across wrong but some of the articles tend to go overboard how genius we are with our money. This whole "we paid X upfront we're brilliant" is a bit silly when pretty much all transfers are paid in installments.

Any word on Keita and Jota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jebidiah wrote: »
    . And then fans just call for them to be sacked!

Being sold or let move on when a contract is up isn't being sacked though.

I'm a huge FSG fan, maybe my post came across wrong but some of the articles tend to go overboard how genius we are with our money. This whole "we paid X upfront we're brilliant" is a bit silly when pretty much all transfers are paid in installments.
    It's a professional approach and a massive improvement on how things had previously been done at the club. There was a story about Benitez wanting to cancel the Djibril Cisse transfer before he became manager only to be told by Rick Parry that the club had already paid two installments of the transfer fee.

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Under FSG we have:

Won the PL and CL.

Been to two CL finals and an EL final.

2 League Cup Finals.

FA Cup Final.

Assembled one of the best Liverpool teams many fans have seen.

Kept us at Anfield and redeveloped.

They're not perfect but they have done well for LFC.

And won the European Super Cup and The Club World Cup as well as playing in a couple of Charity Shields

They have gotten to the final of every single club competition that is available to the club which in itself is pretty damn amazing.

Not a bad 10 years of ownership really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Esp when you consider the mid table starting position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Liverpool were a soft touch both on and off the field, a lot has changed.

We were 19th in the league the weekend that the takeover happened. :D

I always thought we missed a year of development because of the fan base ,
    Let me explain Hodgson was made manger in the summer of 2010 , FGS came in and bought the club in October,

By Janaury 2011 the pressure was on the new owners and the got rid of Hodgson which they did and brought in Kenny as a temporary manager,

That's all Kenny should have ever been but unfortunately some of the fans didn't realise that Kenny had just steadied the ship and was never capable of doing the job long term ,T
    The new owners felt pressure to appease the fans and didn't feel they had built up enough trust yet to go against them so Kenny got the full time gig,

To me it was a waste of a season ( I know we won a cup ) ,

I guess we probably would have never see Rodgers in charge then
    I can't quite remember who was being tipped for the job or who was available when Kenny was made permanent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

I always thought we missed a year of development because of the fan base ,
    Let me explain Hodgson was made manger in the summer of 2010 , FGS came in and bought the club in October,

By Janaury 2011 the pressure was on the new owners and the got rid of Hodgson which they did and brought in Kenny as a temporary manager,

That's all Kenny should have ever been but unfortunately some of the fans didn't realise that Kenny had just steadied the ship and was never capable of doing the job long term ,T
    The new owners felt pressure to appease the fans and didn't feel they had built up enough trust yet to go against them so Kenny got the full time gig,

To me it was a waste of a season ( I know we won a cup ) ,

I guess we probably would have never see Rodgers in charge then
    I can't quite remember who was being tipped for the job or who was available when Kenny was made permanent

Roberto Martinez I think. I could be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Will Minamino still get a Premier League and CL medal this season. Has he done enough, seems harsh if he doesn't get em.

amber69 wrote: »
    Roberto Martinez I think. I could be wrong

I think he was in contention with Rodgers ,
    I mean the previous year when Kenny got the job full time

Andre Villas-Boas had been linked with the job but then he was announced as joining Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

I think he was in contention with Rodgers ,
    I mean the previous year when Kenny got the job full time

Think he went to America to be interviewed. Again its only from memory

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement