Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

amber69 wrote: »
    Think he went to America to be interviewed. Again its only from memory

He did but that was after Kenny left the following summer
    It was between himself and Rodgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

amber69 wrote: »
    Think he went to America to be interviewed. Again its only from memory
    Martinez and Rodgers were the candidates to replace Dalglish.

Will Minamino still get a Premier League and CL medal this season. Has he done enough, seems harsh if he doesn't get em.

No he's never played for City :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Will Minamino still get a Premier League and CL medal this season. Has he done enough, seems harsh if he doesn't get em.

Yep.

He can add to the Premier League & Austrian Bundesliga medals he got last year.
    If Liverpool win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Being sold or let move on when a contract is up isn't being sacked though.

Joe Gomez has overcome TWO massive injuries to become a Champions League and Premier League winner at age 23. Looking to sell him because he got a further injury giving his all for the club is a bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Talisman wrote: »
    Martinez and Rodgers were the candidates to replace Dalglish.

Was that Andres Villa Boas and Kate Cohen time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Was that Andres Villa Boas and Kate Cohen time?
    Is that the article that outlined why he would be a success at Liverpool but proved to be a disaster at Chelsea because the Liverpool squad at the time were better suited to replicate what he had at Porto? I don't think he was really in contention for the position after joining Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jebidiah wrote: »
    Joe Gomez has overcome TWO massive injuries to become a Champions League and Premier League winner at age 23. Looking to sell him because he got a further injury giving his all for the club is a bit harsh.

That may be so, but selling him is not sacking him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This quick flashback puts the current woes in context!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

That may be so, but selling him is not sacking him.

He wont be playing for Liverpool in your scenario, that's not miles away from sacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

martinez-henry_2229850a.jpg

I remember this photo going around at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Its unlikely Southampton will win the league but stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Talisman wrote: »
    Minamino needs games to adapt to the level of the Premier League. It was a massive step up joining directly from Salzburg. In that regard the loan with Southampton is a good opportunity for the player.

Theres no better club for him in the PL than Southampton to go for a loan and hopefully we'll really get to see what he is about in the next 17 games.

The deal also continues on a long line of good business we've had with Southampton over the years; Crouch, Lovren, Lallana, Mane and Van Dijk all arrived from there while we've sold them Ings and now loaned Taki. Its good for us that we have this relationship with a mid table club who play expansive football and have a very good scouting network. If they find more gems like VVD and Mane Edwards will be right there at the top of the queue trying to sign them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This one made me laugh

Minamino knew the only way he could play for Liverpool was to get games at Southampton first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Theres no better club for him in the PL than Southampton to go for a loan and hopefully we'll really get to see what he is about in the next 17 games.

The deal also continues on a long line of good business we've had with Southampton over the years; Crouch, Lovren, Lallana, Mane and Van Dijk all arrived from there while we've sold them Ings and now loaned Taki. Its good for us that we have this relationship with a mid table club who play expansive football and have a very good scouting network. If they find more gems like VVD and Mane Edwards will be right there at the top of the queue trying to sign them.

And Hasenhüttl himself is one I'd be keeping an eye on as a potential Klopp successor down the road a bit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

brevity wrote: »
    martinez-henry_2229850a.jpg

I remember this photo going around at the time.

I didn't sleep for a month when that photo was floating around.

Reading that Davies's long range passing is at 72% and 74% of his passes into the final 3rd are successful.

I think those stats might just be why he was bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    And Hasenhüttl himself is one I'd be keeping an eye on as a potential Klopp successor down the road a bit too.

Maybe not now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

brevity wrote: »

Sounds like he's Virgil's number one fan. If he's still around next season he'll get some buzz out of playing beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I know they played against 9 men but United's result at Southampton last night makes our result there more annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I know they played against 9 men but United's result at Southampton last night makes our result there more annoying.

They'd a full team against us. Particularly a full defence. They're decimated back there, and they've very little depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

They were playing a injury ravaged Southampton who lost a player in the 2nd minute to a red card. Look at the squad numbers for Southampton in that match, they had a 19 year old (red card) and a 20 year old starting last night in their first matches of the season or for the first team.

On the bench you had Nathan Redmond, then numbers,

40 Dan N'Lundulu
    41 Harry Lewis
    47 Will Ferry
    52 Ryan Finnigan
    62 Allan Tchaptchet
    65 Caleb Watts
    72 Kegs Chauke

These players have a total of 0 starts and 9 sub appearances, of which 8 is for Dan N'Lundulu. They would have been lucky not to lose 5-0 last night without getting a red card. Getting 2 red cards and a bunch of youth players on the bench so there was no option to bring on experienced player to help when down to 10 men meant this was always going to be a disaster.

I have to question the need for the league to decide positions on goal difference. It means games like this happens where nothing is learned. The Spanish way of deciding on head to head is better. Man United played on because of the need to improve their goal difference, but nothing was learned from the match yesterday other than United can bully a team that has a bunch of youth players on the bench and 2 starting and that is down to 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Enzokk wrote: »
    They were playing a injury ravaged Southampton who lost a player in the 2nd minute to a red card. Look at the squad numbers for Southampton in that match, they had a 19 year old (red card) and a 20 year old starting last night in their first matches of the season or for the first team.

On the bench you had Nathan Redmond, then numbers,

40 Dan N'Lundulu
    41 Harry Lewis
    47 Will Ferry
    52 Ryan Finnigan
    62 Allan Tchaptchet
    65 Caleb Watts
    72 Kegs Chauke

These players have a total of 0 starts and 9 sub appearances, of which 8 is for Dan N'Lundulu. They would have been lucky not to lose 5-0 last night without getting a red card. Getting 2 red cards and a bunch of youth players on the bench so there was no option to bring on experienced player to help when down to 10 men meant this was always going to be a disaster.

I have to question the need for the league to decide positions on goal difference. It means games like this happens where nothing is learned. The Spanish way of deciding on head to head is better. Man United played on because of the need to improve their goal difference, but nothing was learned from the match yesterday other than United can bully a team that has a bunch of youth players on the bench and 2 starting and that is down to 10 men.

As I said I get the position Southampton were in. Just annoyed United got to play them in this position instead of us!

United were playing against 10 men from the second minute, we were a goal down from the second minute. Sxxt happens I know.

Just annoying.

On to Brighton and hopefully 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

They also lost 6-1 the last time they played Spurs so hey swings and roundabouts.

Enzokk wrote: »

Did you ever question this prior to Utd improving their GD by 9 in a single game when they are now level with us on GD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Ya the 9-0 result will get plenty of headlines etc but to me, it's still just 3 points. Their goal difference is now level with Liverpool, having played an extra game. It doesn't really change things for Liverpool.

Win tonight and Liverpool's goal difference is higher again and there is only 1 point difference in the table, which is the important bit. At this stage of the season, it's all about points for me.

4 points behind city, game more played are the only stats worth considering.

• Advertisement

United win was great for the confidence , they got Southampton at a great time hey really hit hard with injuries but they picked up the 3 points and that all that matters

Tonight is a huge game again a must win , there is every chance we draw or lose the weekend so its vital we get the 3 points by any means tonight,

I expected United & City to gain a little lead on us before March due to the game we play and then for us to start catching up, so the closer we keep it the better,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

United win was great for the confidence , they got Southampton at a great time hey really hit hard with injuries but they picked up the 3 points and that all that matters

Massive win should be good for confidence? Now where have I heard that before :p

93IQJzw.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Massive win should be good for confidence? Now where have I heard that before :p

93IQJzw.png

Looking at the run of results is frustrating. The Southampton, United and Burnley results are all fair. We got what we deserved in those games but the f**king WBA and Newcastle games!!!! We should have been 3/4 up at half time against WBA and the 2 Salah 1 on 1's and the Firminho headers against Newcastle. Imagine having those extra 4 points now.....:(

Looking at the run of results is frustrating. The Southampton, United and Burnley results are all fair. We got what we deserved in those games but the f**king WBA and Newcastle games!!!! We should have been 3/4 up at half time against WBA and the 2 Salah 1 on 1's and the Firminho headers against Newcastle. Imagine having those extra 4 points now.....:(

Them 4 points we missed could break our season

Jones & Willams messing around to conceded the corner for the Westbrom goal.,
    Then Salah missed two sitter, Bobby two headers and Mane should have had penalty at newcastle

We would be sitting pretty right now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

The most frustrating 2 results for me are still earlier in the season.

The 2-2 with Everton. We looked sensational in the first 5 minutes, looked like we'd score at will. Then VVD gets assaulted and Pickford inexplicably stays on the pitch. We hammer them out the gate, ala Utd vs Southampton, if they're down to 10 men for 85 minutes, like they should've been. Add insult to injury and Hendo's goal is cancelled out due to a dubious offside call.

The 1-1 with Brighton. Last minute pen given by VAR after the ref doesn't see anything wrong and none of the Brighton players even look for a pen. VAR interfering for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I am sure they felt the same about our game at Palace.

Its three points, thats all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

fyfe79 wrote: »
    The 1-1 with Brighton. Last minute pen given by VAR after the ref doesn't see anything wrong and none of the Brighton players even look for a pen. VAR interfering for the sake of it.

Hate the thing, it was meant to bring consistency and has brought anything but.

Contrast the Robertson/Welbeck penalty given by VAR and the Connolly/Pogba one over turned by VAR.

"There is contact" ok both pens
    "There is not enough contact" ok neither pens

VAR has not helped at all in making the game more consistent, let alone the constant rule changes we have seen this season around handball/offside etc. A mess of a season.

Well, we lost to Southampton away, Utd were at home yesterday so not technically the same equivalence.

Though without checking I assume Utd beat them away, also.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    The most frustrating 2 results for me are still earlier in the season.

The 2-2 with Everton. We looked sensational in the first 5 minutes, looked like we'd score at will. Then VVD gets assaulted and Pickford inexplicably stays on the pitch. We hammer them out the gate, ala Utd vs Southampton, if they're down to 10 men for 85 minutes, like they should've been. Add insult to injury and Hendo's goal is cancelled out due to a dubious offside call.

I actually don't really care about that penalty decision.

The one that really bugs me in that game is that VAR called Salah offside when he ran though and scored. He looked level, even with all the lines. But VAR used a really weird line with the defender and didn't use the defenders leg which was closest to the goal line.

• Advertisement

Hate the thing, it was meant to bring consistency and has brought anything but.

Contrast the Robertson/Welbeck penalty given by VAR and the Connolly/Pogba one over turned by VAR.

"There is contact" ok both pens
    "There is not enough contact" ok neither pens

VAR has not helped at all in making the game more consistent, let alone the constant rule changes we have seen this season around handball/offside etc. A mess of a season.

Yes, the decisions with VAR are as inconsistent as before VAR. The only difference now are loads of delays and standing around waiting for the next inconsistent decision.

And with that the added annoyance of everyone feeling "how can they STILL get it wrong - at least before it was human error in real time".

Its a shame we can't rest any of the midfield for tonight,

Milner is probably the only one who will sit out,

If Gini or Thiago get injured we are in trouble,

Such a shame we don't have City after the week break instead of this weekend

No sign of Naby or Jota yet

Fitz* wrote: »
    I actually don't really care about that penalty decision.

The one that really bugs me in that game is that VAR called Salah offside when he ran though and scored. He looked level, even with all the lines. But VAR used a really weird line with the defender and didn't use the defenders leg which was closest to the goal line.

I had a "I don't believe it!" moment last week when Son's goal was disallowed - I've been so used to marginal calls like that going against us this season (either opposition goals being allowed, or ours being disallowed) that I assumed it would be given. "Is our luck changing?" I thought.... next game, Matip out for the season :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Them 4 points we missed could break our season

Jones & Willams messing around to conceded the corner for the Westbrom goal.,
    Then Salah missed two sitter, Bobby two headers and Mane should have had penalty at newcastle

We would be sitting pretty right now,

I like Jones and am a bit meh on Williams but this was Jones fault

Jota is back on the grass at least! And out of the brace.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1356920502955163649

So looking at another two to three weeks for Jota maybe even the start of March.

Hopefully no complications and those missing couple of months don't turn into longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I see big changes tonight.

Expect Jones to start, Ox to start, ,Firmino to start, and Tsimikas maybe to get his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I see big changes tonight.

Expect Jones to start, Ox to start, ,Firmino to start, and Tsimikas maybe to get his chance.

Firmino yes, possibly Jones but can't see any other changes.

So rumour on twitter Alisson is injured

Something to do with seen with the medical team this morning, Could be nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I wish we could keep the nonsense under wraps until we know for sure if it's nonsense or not. My blood pressure is probably unnecessarily too high now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Augeo wrote: »
    Did you ever question this prior to Utd improving their GD by 9 in a single game when they are now level with us on GD?

I did, however I haven't posted about it so no way to prove it. I am saying this as well in the knowledge that our close league winning seasons would have not made a difference had we been tied with City on points. In 2013-14 we lost 2-1 away and won 3-2 at home so back to GD which ours was worse and in 2018-19 we drew at home and lost at City, in which case again it didn't matter.

I am okay if the PL moves to a way of determining position like this instead of who scored more against the lower teams. It makes those matches against your rivals mean even more than just the 3 points as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement