Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

ebbsy wrote: »
    No crowds

Unbelievable injuries

No preseason

Matches are like training sessions

Is it a real season ? I dont think so.

Lol, pitiful sh1te to be coming out with. If we'd won tonight you'd not come out with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    That’s that as regards the title. A shame. In truth we just haven’t been good enough, signs were there all season that we wouldn’t turn around our form and resemble something from last season.

Just need to fight for top four.

Yup... and unlike in a season like 18/19 where we could say we were good enough if not for certain small moments - everton draw, a few cm's of the ball not being over the line against City etc - this season we just don't deserve it. No complaints over City taking back their title, looks like they're gonna romp it.

It's maybe no harm to have that in the players heads, so they can mentally reset, and go again in the league next season. And as long as we're looking alright for top 4, it places the priority firmly on the Champions League, much like in 17/18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Shanee. wrote: »
    Need something like this for Sunday

Ali
    Trent Davies/Kabak Fabinho Robbo
    Hendo Thiago Jones
    Salah Bobby Mane

And going forward we should be trying to get the new CBs as much game time as possible to get Fabinho back into the midfield.

Just put Phillips beside one of the new lads and let Fabhino play DM with Henderson and Thiago just ahead of him.

Also all this talk of Thiago not being good enough is very similar to the crap said about Fabhino after he signed. Thiago played in a high energy Barca and Bayern team and didn't slow the game down.

The issue at the moment is Liverpool are taking the safe option far to often whether its in positioning or passing so a lot of our play is slow progression up the field or safe recycling of the ball. We are also a bit more hesitant in the final third as I guess the team is much more aware of the quick break without the speed of VVD and Gomez at the back. To counter the fast break we aren't pushing as many men beyond the ball and are more reluctant to try play lower percentage passes which may break down.

Fabhino as a shield in midfield might go somewhat towards fixing that nervousness of making a mistake further up the field and allow more risky attempts.

Also Thiago has been ranking quite high (think top 3) for us in tackles, ball recoveries and interceptions since he's started to play. Very similar to Naby when he plays. If we could utilise this by winning the ball back quicker and higher up the pitch it should help create quick counter attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    That’s that as regards the title. A shame. In truth we just haven’t been good enough, signs were there all season that we wouldn’t turn around our form and resemble something from last season.

Just need to fight for top four.

Unfortunately, this.

City are gone, into the yonder, but we can finish second, I've no doubt about that.

Very poor to night again though, very flat. Obviously injuries etc play a part, buy I think selection stymied us big time, very conservative. A home game, and we played a tired Gini and Milner in a stodgy midfield? A midfielder up front (Shaq). Could have freshened it up with the likes of Jones, Ox from the start, although granted they pulled up trees when introduced. But I thought it set the tone for the game, slow passing allowed Brighton to get a foothold on the game. We were left with no one p front at times, Mo hanging on the right, Shaq coming in from the left on top of Bobby, who was coming deeper and deeper.

Really missed Sadio, who as I always say, is our most important attacking player.

But those injuries....... A team made up of
    Ali
    Gomez VVD Matip Another
    Kieta Fab An Other
    Mane Jota A N Other

is capable of beating anyone of fit (add in a couple of kids in the A N Other positions.

Absences are killing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Because we haven't got the same personal available and it was clear as day that putting in crosses tonight wasn't going to work and it's hasn't been working at home for a couple months now.

I was being sarcastic btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Fromvert wrote: »
    The problem with Thiago is the other CM's and CB's literally stand 5 feet from him. The fullbacks do it too as well at times. If he has the ball ****in run and not be looking to play one twos five yards apart at the half way line under no pressure which the players are constantly doing.

It's also a reason I'm a little wary of a Thiago/Henderson/Fabinho midfield I feel they may end up on each others toes a lot.

But what about Henderson's energy and his ability to shout absolute rubbish to his team mates akin to what you hear at every Sunday league amateur game.

I wonder will the LFC social media platforms be blasting out the same rubbish after this game "YES TRENT" etc.

Professional footballer makes generic supportive shouts of encouragement to team mates during game. Ground breaking.

Don't forget recycling possession. Energy and recyling possession.

For all the abuse Firmino gets, Henderson gets a savage amount of passes from the fan base. Can only assume its because he's been around so long and is the current captain. A decent performer but seems immune to any criticism.

Undoubtedly a consummate pro, akin to Milner but is technically poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Far too much thought put into our game at times. We rather pass a 1000 times in a game, looking for that one strike on goal, than shoot 30 times and lose the ball in process 28 times, but score 2.
    You need to whip it in first time, we tend to pass 4 times between Milner Trent and Salah out wide, or Robertons, Milner and Firmino on other side. All too thought out and precise, I can't recall a game of late where we had to press to win ball back fast. We tend to just have the ball always against EVERYONE.
    50% 50% would be beneficial, it means whipping it in first time, shooting, and making passes that have a chance of coming off in the final 3rd, rather than taking the safe option with a pass you know 100% is going to a player in red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Negative_G wrote: »
    But what about Henderson's energy and his ability to shout absolute rubbish to his team mates akin to what you hear at every Sunday league amateur game.

I wonder will the LFC social media platforms be blasting out the same rubbish after this game "YES TRENT" etc.

Professional footballer makes generic supportive shouts of encouragement to team mates during game. Ground breaking.

For all the abuse Firmino gets, Henderson gets a savage amount of passes from the fan base. Can only assume its because he's been around so long and is the current captain. A decent performer but seems immune to any criticism.

Fair play. That is some long standing grudge with Henderson you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Negative_G wrote: »

lol, look who's back. Hendo's most obsessed fanemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Fair play. That is some long standing grudge with Henderson you have.

Disappeared there for about 2 years but suddenly resurfaces. It's beyond strange really. Disturbing more apt description imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it kind if reminds you of the Japanese soldiers who disappeared into the jungles during WWII, emerging many years later still fighting a war that was long over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think Klopp is probably right when he say that they are all mentally tired.

Most people are living the last year in this pandemic are so it would be no surprise if players who have been at a peak for close to 4 years both physically and mentally have have hit a wall mentally and have just got tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Andy Robertson doesn't do bad games. They just don't really exist.

But does anyone else remember Klopp saying before the season started that he would have to rotate the full backs?

Because of the clusterfúck of injuries in defence, and the knock-on to midfield, he's basically chosen not to rotate Robbo, in order to at least have some stability back there.

He looks fúcking wrecked.

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Whatever about individual players. I cannot understand the lack of movement and slow passing.

A lot of the brilliance of the top football teams is the instinct with which they play.

You become so familiar with each other, the runs that each other makes, the passes that will be given, the ability of certain players to defend certain situations, that it all becomes almost automatic through repetition.

If you have the stuffing ripped out if the base of the team, and players are having to play different positions from game to game, then everything slows down because there's no rhythm.

So many times last night, players got in each other's way, or didn't make a run, or runs weren't spotted at the right time. The team is banjaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lads iv been saying it for a while but we just got to get hanging on in there for another 2 weeks or so then things will pocik up

Last night was a team running on fumes, after clawing some good form back in the two previous games,

Alisson ,Fab ,New CB's,Hendo (midfiled), Keita , Jota & mane , should make a difference ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Lads iv been saying it for a while but we just got to get hanging on in there for another 2 weeks or so then things will pocik up

Last night was a team running on fumes, after clawing some good form back in the two previous games,

Alisson ,Fab ,New CB's,Hendo (midfiled), Keita , Jota & mane , should make a difference ,

i hope you're right

Have you not been saying we're heading for EL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No more currently scheduled midweek league games now until May. Chance to get rest between games now apart from CL games which are spaced out now over 3 weeks. Just have to see what happens after those 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

People need to be realistic about what's possible this year. A title challenge isnt with all the injuries. Top 4 and have a go at the CL is. Everything that could have gone wrong has this year. Look at the teams we are being forced to put out and you will soon realise that its just not possible to compete for the league this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think even if we won last night and won on Sunday, it would have taken an immense effort for the lads to overtake City. We would have essentially needed to be flawless for the rest of the season, which is a mighty ask considering we can barely go a game without an injury to a starter.

City now remind me of the City in the run in 2 years ago. Not raking up spectacular scores but just doing enough to get the job done, and not expending too much energy doing it.

While I’d love a good run in the CL, my feeling is now that it’s more important to secure CL for next year when we hopefully have our full squad back and available for a proper tilt. When everyone’s fit we’re still a ridiculously good team, bit of backup for some key positions in defence and I think we’ll be right up challenging again.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Have you not been saying we're heading for EL?

On current form and being all doom and gloom but I do expect us to take up from March on , Id be shocked if we don't ,

We wont win it or be even close but we should be top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

SlickRic wrote: »
    Andy Robertson doesn't do bad games. They just don't really exist.

But does anyone else remember Klopp saying before the season started that he would have to rotate the full backs?

Because of the clusterfúck of injuries in defence, and the knock-on to midfield, he's basically chosen not to rotate Robbo, in order to at least have some stability back there.

He looks fúcking wrecked.
    Klopp seems to have no trust in Tsimikas.

I think he started a CL game against at home.
    Think it was Atalanta & klopp was said to be going mad at him.

Ive thought in Tsimikas limited minutes he has looked good.

How bad has Ox become ,

Call me nuts but id be offering Costa 6 month deal, I can't deal with seeing Origi coming on in 2021 to save a game ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

How bad has Ox become ,

Call me nuts but id be offering Costa 6 month deal, I can't deal with seeing Origi coming on in 2021 to save a game ,

we'd have to pay Atleti 4m i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

on the plus side we no longer have to worry about "must win games". I guess the CL but I'll allow it there

All things considered I'm quite happy with how they've coped. The consistency isn't there but it's not there in the team sheet either.

• Advertisement

Call me crazy but if I was Klopp id be going out with a similar team to last night ,

Chances are City will beat us no matter who we put out , It might be worth taking the L and giving all the injured lads and extra week to get fit or the new guys the chance to bed in , The team will get a big lift if you have 4 or 5 lads coming back into the team for the Leicester game and season starts from there,

I do worry about Trent & Robbo with all the issues in CB ,Midfield we haven't had a set team to be able to give either of them a rest ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Back when we lost Virg and Joe I said we might have to go a bit madder this season, a return to 17-18 style footy, outscore the opposition. We didn't and kept playing the usual way with a patched up back four, the lack of ability to rotate at the back means we can barely rotate in the middle either or fullback and it's caught up on us.

We now have three decent fit Centre halves. Play them there. They might get found out but we've nothing to lose imo. Get Fabinho and Hendo back midfield and try to 17-18 the hell out of the rest of this season.

Only issue is I don't know if we have the fitness to do it.

.G. wrote: »
    Back when we lost Virg and Joe I said we might have to go a bit madder this season, a return to 17-18 style footy, outscore the opposition. We didn't and kept playing the usual way with a patched up back four, the lack of ability to rotate at the back means we can barely rotate in the middle either or fullback and it's caught up on us.

We now have three decent fit Centre halves. Play them there. They might get found out but we've nothing to lose imo. Get Fabinho and Hendo back midfield and try to 17-18 the hell out of the rest of this season.

We could do with a Cou like player who can beat a man in midfield and rifle in long shot ,United have Bruno for that and even Pogba's done it a couple of times, City have a few of them KDB, Gundagan ,B .Silva , Foden

We need more goals from the middle ,especially when our CF never scores ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The frustrating thing is Liverpool should be beating Burnley and Brighton at home regardless of absentees. Salah, Firmino, TAA, Robinson, Henderson, Gini, Thiago, Milner.. plenty there still.

Win those two games and they are a point behind City.

Liverpools inconsistency has been going on a while now. Actually since the first A Madrid game. Last 15 games of 2020 season they drew two and lost 6..after having an incredible record in the previous two years. So there is bigger problem than players missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

As bad as last night was let's not forget there are 16 games left and a win on sun will keep a glimmer of hope alive. Players to return from injury soon. It's not completely gone yet. Losing on sun may be the critical blow though I feel.

• Advertisement

we can't do mad with that backline and DM situation.

because we have no real DM combination or CB combination to speak of, because all out CBs are injured, and our DMs are playing at CB, the structure isn't right.

even in the mad season of 17/18, when we couldn't defend, we had a structure we played to. we tried doing the right things - the things that would ultimately make this team great.

such is the state of the injuries, and the amount of cobbling together, and the amount we've having to play the likes of Milner and Shaqiri to compensate, it's just not possible. Shaq isn't up to it, and Milner is too old and slow at this stage to do the job that is required on a consistent basis (i.e. a game every 3 or 4 days).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

rossie1977 wrote: »
    The frustrating thing is Liverpool should be beating Burnley and Brighton at home regardless of absentees. Salah, Firmino, TAA, Robinson, Henderson, Gini, Thiago, Milner.. plenty there still.

Liverpools inconsistency has been going on a while now. Actually since the first A Madrid game. Last 15 games of 2020 season they drew two and lost 6..after having an incredible record in the previous two years. So there is bigger problem than players missing.

Nah i don't buy that at all. We've been absolutely cursed with injuries. It's taken our three best central defenders all at once and we've lost our two best midfielders as a result of it also as Fab and Hendo fill that gap. That lack of stability along with various other injuries to other key players like Keita and Becker has screwed us royally.

I'm in no doubt that with Virgil and Matip at the back as well as our regular midfield we'd be top of the league right now.

If we are worried about the new lads and Philips at CB together could we throw Gini in there ?

Getting Fabhino ,Thiago ad Henderson in midfield would be amazing

In a one off game after a weeks rest yes we should beat them , But everyone forgets that team have flogged themselves to death over the previous few games,
    I truly think lack of freshness beat us last night ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This.

Since the league was all but won, the level dropped. After the lockdown in particular, we've been hit and miss,very inconsistent, and the home form especially is being effected by empty grounds.

In many of the games, we have started conservatively. Even last night, very cautious in the first half hour, almost obsessed with keeping possession and not going for fast breaks when they arose. This had seemed to improve in the Spurs and West Ham games, but was back again last night, possession /possession /possession. I don't k ow if we're afraid to lose the ball or are protecting the defence or what, but it's killing our attacking game.

We're playing for second now, which is very achievable still, along with the ECL if we get front line players back. Mane and Jota are critical now, need to add some zip and stretch teams out in the opponents half, not keep coming back toward the ball like Shaq and even Bobby tend to do.

All is not lost!

Alonso77 wrote: »
    As bad as last night was let's not forget there are 16 games left and a win on sun will keep a glimmer of hope alive. Players to return from injury soon. It's not completely gone yet. Losing on sun may be the critical blow though I feel.

Perhaps........... City are on track for an 85 point season if they continue on their current ppg haul, which isn't dazzlingly brilliant at 2.24ppg.

For us to hit 85 points we need 45 points from the 16 games...... we need 15 wins, 14 wins and 2 draws gets us to 84 points. I don't think we've seen much sign this season of this squad knocking a 2.8ppg run together for 16 games. Even when VVD was playing we weren't ourselves this season iirc.

because we have no real DM combination or CB combination to speak of, because all out CBs are injured, and our DMs are playing at CB, the structure isn't right......................

To be fair, he literally said play the CBs we have as CBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

MD1990 wrote: »
    Klopp seems to have no trust in Tsimikas.

I think he started a CL game against at home.
    Think it was Atalanta & klopp was said to be going mad at him.

Ive thought in Tsimikas limited minutes he has looked good.

I thought Tsimikas was injured and not recovered properly from covid anyway, he is still not available yet isn't he?

There was an interview with him on the club website last week so he could be close to coming back soon hopefully and give Robbo a break...

Hasn't had much luck since signing, sure Robbo didn't get a look in for months either at the start of his time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The thing about having lots of injuries is that those who stay fit have to play even more to compensate. So a player like Gini looked absolutely wrecked last night as he’s played so much. And he’s been a great servant but James Milner is done. He doesn’t really contribute anything in these type of games any more. How he played the entire game I don’t know. Gini was subbed off due to exhaustion. And Shaq is not really a 90 minute player either so he was taken off as well.

Thiago seems to be getting a lot of the blame but Thiago is not Messi. He’s not going to dribble past 3 players. He needs movement and there was none last night bar the odd run from Salah.

I never want to see us play with so little pace in the side again even if it means starting Origi

I reckon I would out sprint Milner,Thiago Gini ( he was on fumes) , Shaq & Firmino ,

Can't understand why Klopp didn't trust Jones last night ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Fieldog wrote: »
    I thought Tsimikas was injured and not recovered properly from covid anyway, he is still not available yet isn't he?

There was an interview with him on the club website last week so he could be close to coming back soon hopefully and give Robbo a break...

Hasn't had much luck since signing, sure Robbo didn't get a look in for months either at the start of his time...

Tsimikas has been back on the bench since the Utd FA Cup game, so presumably he's fit. Klopp may be reluctant to drop him in it because every game is vitally important at the moment and he's played virtually no footie for us yet. Or maybe he's lightweight in training. Who knows?

IIRC, Robbo started to get in the team at around the two month mark and was definitely undisputed first choice well before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I never want to see us play with so little pace in the side again even if it means starting Origi

I reckon I would out sprint Milner,Thiago Gini ( he was on fumes) , Shaq & Firmino ,

Ox has to play on the wings if we have no Mane again at the weekend, imo. I know he's not great out there and has never been the same since the injury a couple of years back, but we need movement and he provides more than Origi and definitely more than Shaq.

Fieldog wrote: »

He's on the bench the last few games. May not be fully up to speed yet or Klopp may not want to swap another defender in at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah that sub should have been made at half time. Could see a mile away that an injection of pace and energy was needed in place of Shaqiri who was ghosting around. Gini very ineffectual too, but to be fair to him, he is wrecked after carrying the midfield for months on end while everyone else was injured.

In seasons of old, an injury crisis for a month could mean 4 or 5 games where you dig in and eventually get reprieve. It's 8 or 9 games this season, but there is no reprieve as there is no bodies coming back, just more dropping.

The injuries have caught up with the players and they just look drained now completely, which was going to happen eventually. The constant cascade of injures and domino affect after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The problem with that line of thinking is the effort required to get the two previous results came back to bite us last night. For The midfield 3 you have thiago back from a long lay off starting 7 games in 17 days. Wijnaldum has fitted in a season of game time into 4 months at this stage and in Milner you had a 35 year old starting his 3rd game in 6 days. Henderson is out of position and cant be used in the position he is needed. With no mane and Jota you had a lack of pace in the team. It's just been the perfect storm with regard to things going wrong.

because we have no real DM combination or CB combination to speak of, because all out CBs are injured, and our DMs are playing at CB, the structure isn't right.

even in the mad season of 17/18, when we couldn't defend, we had a structure we played to. we tried doing the right things - the things that would ultimately make this team great.

such is the state of the injuries, and the amount of cobbling together, and the amount we've having to play the likes of Milner and Shaqiri to compensate, it's just not possible. Shaq isn't up to it, and Milner is too old and slow at this stage to do the job that is required on a consistent basis (i.e. a game every 3 or 4 days).

But thats what I said, stop cobbling things together. We bought two centre backs and we have Philips. Use them there.

Play the best midfield lads in their proper positions. Get as much of the team picked correctly as we can, players playing the best they can in their best positions. The back four will be a concern but it already is and trying to protect makeshift CBs means we can't rotate our two best attacking outlets, Robbo and Trent and they have often seemed reticent to attack as they is d to do cos they're mindful of having to help out the two CBs. Add to that we can't rotate in midfield cos those lads are in defence.

Instead of hampering midfield, full back and CB, just go with what we bought there and get all the other elements of the team playing where the should be and in the manner the should be.

We often get stick for so called "atmosphere FC" but I think we have been hampered more than most by the lack of fans at home. They play a huge role for us and you could see how lifted the players were when we had 2000 of them in for a couple of games.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He's on the bench the last few games. May not be fully up to speed yet or Klopp may not want to swap another defender in at the moment.

This. In a less injury hit season I think him and Neco would have seen more game time but we already have to play two lads at centre back who aren't used to it, changing the full backs on top adds more risk. I think that's the only reason he's continuing to play Robbo and Trent anytime he can.

Jota return is vital he is the unpredictable one ,
    I think Firmino might be suffering because Salah & Mane have changed there style ,
    Mane & Mo (more so) now seems obsessed with being on the end of a move and are not getting involved in little one twos and give and goes as much ,
    That hinders Bobby , They also never seem to pop anywhere other unexpected , Jota is far more likely to move inside and be unpredictable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

When was the last time a PL team had this many injuries?

Gomez, Matip, VVD, Jota, Keita, Fabinho, Allison and Sadio.

That's just right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement