Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Massive stops by the West Brom keeper.

If we manage a draw tomorrow, it won't be too bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Charlie19 wrote: »

I'd be happy with the draw, but it would be great to beat them and see a bit of daylight forming around us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I'd be happy with the draw, but it would be great to beat them and see a bit of daylight forming around us.

Definitely but all things considered, I'd happily take a draw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Definitely but all things considered, I'd happily take a draw.

If we play like we did vs Leicester and Wolves we will beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Casey78 wrote: »
    If we play like we did vs Leicester and Wolves we will beat them.

Absolutely. There is an if but I agree.

The results tonight will have added incentive tomorrow night, for both teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

So he was trying to prove everyone's the same by naming our fit players, and getting stuck on 10, then saying they had injuries in their underage teams?

O...K.... :confused:

Jose's a man who firmly believes mind games actually work, more often than not they're counter productive. I think it's one of the reasons why we have such a good record against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Confident of a win tomorrow. Now if we were away.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

tinpib wrote: »
    Confident of a win tomorrow. Now if we were away.....

Agreed, I don't get all this "I'd settle for a draw" crap.

We are the champions and at home with fans on a Wednesday night (small crowd sure).

Yes a lot of injuries but still a decent 11 will hit that pitch tomorrow and we are more than capable of winning tomorrow.

Some here were saying "I'd be happy if we were only 5 points behind top by Christmas" probably the same lads.

Have some faith on the lads, especially at home

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

we'll kick on tomorrow night and won't look back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

A draw is fine right now. I do wonder how Mourinho will approach it. Based on how Fulham came at us at the weekend that would be the approach I think would work best for Spurs, especially if it's not Matip and Fabinho at the back.

They've played one more game than us (I think) but have been able to rotate a bit due to not having as many injuries but it might be Mourinho's plan to make every game a dog of game, sitting back and countering, limiting the running he's making his team do.

If they do sit back like they have been doing, we need to be smart enough not to overload our attacks leaving Matip and Fabinho alone at the back as they're not the quickest and it's what Spurs want. Full backs might need to hold position a bit more than usual. Don't give them any more than a point to hold onto. Keep the ball and probe, some of their poor players are playing well but still have a howler in them (Dier and Aurier I'm looking at), target them constantly, make them two have to play perfectly.

Still think we'll get the win but it'll be a scruffy game. A draw is fine and a loss isn't a disaster. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Mourinho has been doubling up his full backs this season with Hojberg & Sissoko tucking in between full back and CB.

He used to love doing that for Utd too, but it was more the winger helping out the full back and often he got Ashley Young to nullify Salah. I think his play will largely centre around nullifying the threat out wide.

This could be a game for Jones to flourish in with shots from the centre of the park if he can get space. He gets a lot of his shots on target in fairness to him. Not really skying them. Also could be a game for Keita to burst last a player and open up the pitch and lay off a pass. If he is fit, which is a large if.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Fitz* wrote: »
    Mourinho has been doubling up his full backs this season with Hojberg & Sissoko tucking in between full back and CB.

He used to love doing that for Utd too, but it was more the winger helping out the full back and often he got Ashley Young to nullify Salah. I think his play will largely centre around nullifying the threat out wide.

This could be a game for Jones to flourish in with shots from the centre of the park if he can get space. He gets a lot of his shots on target in fairness to him. Not really skying them. Also could be a game for Keita to burst last a player and open up the pitch and lay off a pass. If he is fit, which is a large if.

Can't see klopp starting kieta to be honest,if kieta gets another setback on whatever injury he has thats prob him out til at least Jan. Can see Jones starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It was very noticeable against Arsenal, second half they played a 6-2-2 for long periods. They allowed Arsenal to hit cross after cross (they hit 44 of them!) but Arsenal don't have anything up front or the quality we'll have from the wings (Tierney does hit a nice cross in fairness). Could need a bit of magic from Trent or Robbo on the wings to hit a cross from deep and find a man. Although our front three are not tall, I consider all of them as good headers of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

brevity wrote: »
    [/QUOTE]

That's a bit bizarre.... "1894 days v 392 days [1500 days], which is almost 2,000 v 300 days [1700 days]".

He actually went and got the website/app on how to calculate days and used this at a press conference, and then twists a ridiculous maths sum to justify something.

He wouldn't have come out with this a few years back. It's a bit Rafa-esque with his list.

As someone said above, he's come down a few pegs since his Chelsea/Inter/Real/MU days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Hojberg will be superglued to Firmino and Salah & Mane will be doubled up on. Mourinho will rely nearly entirely on trying to counter attack with Son & Kane, imo. Everyone else will be stacking up behind the ball to deny space. Reguilon seems to have played left mid a few times this season and I can well see him going for that tomorrow for extra Salah protection.

For us we need big games from Robbo and Trent and some late runs to join the attack from Jones & Wijnaldum distracting a couple of their defenders from Salah & Mane might help too. Alternatively, Klopp could look to try and keep Mane out wide in the hope he can isolate and beat an opponent out there and then drive into the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Hendo will play FB and will play last man back to stop any counter attack. He's played that role a couple of times this season and it's worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

City dropped 16pts already, 3 wins in last 8 games. A win tomorrow goes a long way towards staying ahead of them all season. Looks like Spurs are the real danger this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have a feeling Klopp will be well prepared for Jose. We know exactly what to expect - 4 at the back with 2 holding midfielders dropping between CB and FB on either side, and Ndombele just in front in a free midfield role. Kane just in front of him, with Son and Bergwijn waiting either side. They need the ball to Ndombele or Kane to then set up the wide players on the run.

Stop that ball to Kane and Ndombele and you stop Spurs. Failing that, stop the second ball to the runners and you stop Spurs.

Easier said than done, but with a bit of vigilance and concentration from Hendo, Gini, Jones, Robbo, and Trent, and I fancy us to manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

City dropped 16pts already, 3 wins in last 8 games. A win tomorrow goes a long way towards staying ahead of them all season. Looks like Spurs are the real danger this season

Only 5 points ahead of them, same amount of games played, I wouldn't count your chickens, 26 games left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

I see that the BBC replayed the 30 year wait documentary last night in honour of Gerard Houllier which was a nice touch. You can see what the club meant to him. He definitely brought the club into the professional era. I don't think he would have been appointed if Wenger not been hired earlier and been successful. We were very reactive at that time. However he brought success back to the club and built the foundations for a Champions League winning team.

I think the recruitment at the end let him down. If we kept Anelka and left Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou alone, it may have been different. They did run up against the United treble and Arsenal double winning team which were 2 of the best teams of the last 30 years.

I think tonight is a great opportunity to put down a marker, if after all our injuries and covid issues, we are still top of the league, it will have an impact on the other teams I feel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

If Matip plays im confident of getting the 3 points if not im worried bigtime.

2000-2001 3 trophies was followed up with 2nd place in the league on 80 points in the 2001-2002 season, 7 behind Arsenal.

2002-2003 was disapointing in the league, finished 5th on mid sixty points. Won the league cup tbf. Diouf was a big flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Lads I know this has been posted before so apologies in advance but what are you saying on Live Chat to Amazon to get switched over to UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Same team as sunday supposedly. If we can get through the next two games with 4 points and no injuries it would be great. We have a decent schedule for the 6 weeks after Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Only 5 points ahead of them, same amount of games played, I wouldn't count your chickens, 26 games left

After 11 matches last year we were 6 points ahead of City. The difference is City is 6 points off their total last year and we are 7 points off where we were after 11 games last year.

Interestingly, ignoring our form last year as we were so much better than everyone else, the table looks similar to the table last year. Leicester and Chelsea was joint second on 26 points and City was on 25 points after 12 matches. We are tied with Tottenham on 25 points, so I guess we are on track for a winning total of around 80 points which is what City finished on last year, in line with a lot of predictions from many.

A team that has to be worried is Chelsea, they are 4 points worse off than last year, having played 13 matches. They really need to start improving with the money they spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Mourinho knows the unique position he currently has. Winning the Premier League with Spurs will be a bigger achievement than the Europa League and he will put all his efforts and first team players to the league.

He's been happy to have draws against the top 4 teams in the past knowing he will be able to beat the other teams and a win against a top 4 is a bonus.

He'll play tonight for a draw and frustrate Liverpool taking a counter attack, 1 shot on goal all game, 1-0 win as a bonus and the press will declare the tactical genius of old is back.

The only thing that will challenge him this year is if he loses Kane and Son at the same time to injury.

What we really need is to stop this away form nonsense. Drawing to Fulham and Brighton really was 4 points lost and the Brighton game could have been worse if they didn't miss the penalty.

Also Mane needs to get his mojo back. The two teams above are teams you would expect our front 3 to be able to produce something against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We'll be brilliant tonight, we seem to be turning up for the bigger games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

rob316 wrote: »
    We'll be brilliant tonight, we seem to be turning up for the bigger games this season.

I'll be happy with a win tonight in any way, shape or form.

Although I would love it to be a controversial VAR decision to drive Mourinho demented!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Huge game tonight City and Chelsea slippiing up avain and once again we have a chanve to take advantage,
    First goal is everything tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Dcully wrote: »
    If Matip plays im confident of getting the 3 points if not im worried bigtime.

Agree if Matip plays but I think Mourinho will set up for a draw even if Matip doesn't play.

3 points if Matip plays, 1 point if he doesn't. Huge game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

A cagey start I suspect but Liverpool to step it up in the second half and get the vital first goal. Spurs will open up in the last 15mins to try and equalise and Liverpool will score a second on the break.

So that's 0-0 at halftime and 2-0 Final score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bobby has been getting stick for not being at the races this season however I think Mane has been getting off lightly he has been really poor this season and he needs to start turning up soon.

Tonight would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Bobby has been getting stick for not being at the races this season however I think Mane has been getting off lightly he has been really poor this season and he needs to start turning up soon.

Tonight would be a good place to start.

Poor? Ah here. not setting the world alight but Mane has been decent. All the front 3 not been firing as they could but plenty of time to get there - no better place than tonight's game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's on tv, phew, was looking through the channels and could not find it on Sky Sports, BT, Eir Sports, Premier Sports 1 and then boom Premier Sports HD 2 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

It's on tv, phew, was looking through the channels and could not find it on Sky Sports, BT, Eir Sports, Premier Sports 1 and then boom Premier Sports HD 2 !

Thought it was on Prime only?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Poor? Ah here. not setting the world alight but Mane has been decent. All the front 3 not been firing as they could but plenty of time to get there - no better place than tonight's game!

I think Mo has been by far the best. He's keeping us going on his own at times.

Mane good start but quiet recently by his own standards.

To be fair the midfield has been all over the place due to injuries and rotation so it's understandable the front 3 might take a dip due to lack of service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Sadio had a good start to the season. Hopefully his bout of Covid hasn't had en effect over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

evil_seed wrote: »
    Thought it was on Prime only?? :confused:

Premier sports in Ireland, since officially Prime is for the UK rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

While still impressive Trent and Andy were obviously gonna dominate here, but the big surprise for me is Jota being the most effective passer inside the box of any of the "Big 6"

https://twitter.com/topimpacat/status/1338977438378946561?s=20

• Advertisement

Whatever happens we must not lose this tonight, a win for Spurs at Anfield who are unbeaten there in over 3.5 years will be a serious shot of confidence in the arm for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

a win for Spurs at Anfield who are unbeaten there in over 3.5 years

Liverpool won the games at Anfield the past 2 seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

8-10 wrote: »
    Liverpool won the games at Anfield the past 2 seasons

I think he means we are unbeaten at home in that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

While still impressive Trent and Andy were obviously gonna dominate here, but the big surprise for me is Jota being the most effective passer inside the box of any of the "Big 6"

Granit Xhaka's presence on that graphic brings it's usefulness into question, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Trent the only one with more than 1 area and he has 4 :eek:

Almost had the right hand side sown up for himself.

Edit: He was 2nd for the area he missed on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

I predict a score draw tonight. 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Granit Xhaka's presence on that graphic brings it's usefulness into question, imo.

Pressing is one thing, doing something with the ball at your feet is quite another. That's Xhaka's issue.

Ardent wrote: »
    I predict a score draw tonight. 1-1.

I'd be unhappy with that. As someone else has posted, the first goal will be key tonight. If they score it, I fear the very worst particularly with Kane and Son in such telepathic form. If we get it, even Mourinho will be forced to come out a little and that might suit us. One thing about this season is that I think our counter-attacking has been well off. In previous seasons, 'Corner for Spurs, goal to Liverpool' was a common thing - can't see that tonight. Perhaps down to the fact that Bobby's been way off form.

Playing Jota (and Salah) in the CL dead rubber is the most mystifying thing Klopp's done all year. He will be a huge loss to us and already was on Sunday.

Draw will do just fine, its not like previous seasons with city where you need to win. Spurs will be playing for a draw is my guess, Mourinho does not make these games open affairs.

Draw will do just fine, its not like previous seasons with city where you need to win. Spurs will be playing for a draw is my guess, Mourinho does not make these games open affairs.

At some stage, we're going to have to make a statement. We're at home, clubs around us have dropped points and so it's that rare chance to show that, in spite of circumstances conspiring against us, we have remarkable mental strength. I'm not saying it's a must win but it would such a statement to make right now. These things do matter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement