Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

mosstin wrote: »
    At some stage, we're going to have to make a statement. We're at home, clubs around us have dropped points and so it's that rare chance to show that, in spite of circumstances conspiring against us, we have remarkable mental strength. I'm not saying it's a must win but it would such a statement to make right now. These things do matter.

Definitely I'd love nothing more than a Leicester style statement and knock out the contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

rob316 wrote: »
    Definitely I'd love nothing more than a Leicester style statement and knock out the contenders.

Agree
    Jose teams with belief and momentum become a very dangerous opponent.
    A sort of self fulfilling prophecy.
    A statement win tonight could derail this spurs team and shake the belief the team has in his process good and proper .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think he means we are unbeaten at home in that time

I tried re-reading it but didn't get that but on the timeframe you must be right.

It just seems like Spurs always get a result but in recent years our record against them is pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Every time I've watched Spurs this season I want to shout at the TV at the fact the opposition never learn that their one big move is a Kane to Son counter attack, I really hope I'm not thinking the same about Liverpool tonight. Like obviously it's a great system for them and hard to stop, but it feels like so many teams aren't even putting a system in place to try and stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Every time I've watched Spurs this season I want to shout at the TV at the fact the opposition never learn that their one big move is a Kane to Son counter attack, I really hope I'm not thinking the same about Liverpool tonight. Like obviously it's a great system for them and hard to stop, but it feels like so many teams aren't even putting a system in place to try and stop it.

When attacking - 1 of the Midfield 3 or Centre half sits on Kane in the hole - Fabinho in the mid 3 would be ideal for this .... buuuut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With Jota out for a few months I’d be going back to Wolves for Neto in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Harvey Elliott if we need someone.

Wonder if we can do a Nat Phillips job and recall him for the month of Jan as extra cover and loan him back to Rovers at the deadline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,040 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I really love Neto, been shiteing on about him for a good while - he's the guy I wanted when we were linked with Traore and Sarr. But for the sake of just January is it worth that sort of spend when we have weaknesses elsewhere?

I suppose it depends on how you look at the rest of the squad, and where Neto would fit in when everyone is fit... maybe you could justify him in midfield as another option to get gametime? But it seems like if we're gonna spend in January that CB has to be the big area to reinforce, and I'm not sure we've the cash available to do major reinforcements in 2 areas.

Neto would be a good investment in broader terms though, improving at an incredible rate over the past 18 months.
    8-10 wrote: »
    Harvey Elliott if we need someone.

Wonder if we can do a Nat Phillips job and recall him for the month of Jan as extra cover and loan him back to Rovers at the deadline

Nabbing him for a month would be great, but otherwise I'd leave him be. Championship level is perfect for him - but he's not ready to do the same stuff at Premier League level. Much like with Brewster, that step up is massive, especially in attacking areas.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I really love Neto, been shiteing on about him for a good while - he's the guy I wanted when we were linked with Traore and Sarr. But for the sake of just January is it worth that sort of spend when we have weaknesses elsewhere?

I suppose it depends on how you look at the rest of the squad, and where Neto would fit in when everyone is fit... maybe you could justify him in midfield as another option to get gametime? But it seems like if we're gonna spend in January that CB has to be the big area to reinforce, and I'm not sure we've the cash available to do major reinforcements in 2 areas.

Neto would be a good investment in broader terms though, improving at an incredible rate over the past 18 months.

Still only 20 and he might not be needed for another season however in another season he could cost 2/3 times what he would cost now.

CB would be the priority for January no doubt and I'd be looking at someone Vestergaard for that right now as I don't think the main targets are available however he is a player that would certainly do a job and add to the squad when they do go for the main target next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Seems to be a lot of pre-match talk suggesting the draw would be a good result.

It's Spurs.

At home.

We cut off the supply to Son and Kane and they have nothing.

I'm hoping Klopp is going to be a bit less cautious than some of the talk on here and target a big 3 points tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Seems to be a lot of pre-match talk suggesting the draw would be a good result.

It's Spurs.

At home.

We cut off the supply to Son and Kane and they have nothing.

I'm hoping Klopp is going to be a bit less cautious than some of the talk on here and target a big 3 points tonight.

We only have 12 to 14 outfield first team players at best (that's including Origi and Minamino who are either not up to it or havn't been showing they are) and they've been flogged over the last few weeks, especially the likes of Gini and Robbo.

It's very likely going to be a grind unless we can grab a goal or two early and make them have to try and attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

A few months? Is the news after getting worse?

Grujic isn't getting much game time at Porto, can we recall him? Not that he's the answer and once players get fit again he'll not be making the squad but surely he can give us some minutes in midfield against the lesser teams in the league. He's 24 and an experienced pro at this point.

If January rolls around and we're still in bits, him giving us 30 minutes a game could be what we need if we can recall him.

Because I'm not confident we'll see a CB come in but hope I'm wrong and Jan 1st we have one leaning.

Well it was reported he wouldn't be back till February so December, January & February is a few months to me.

Also the way players a breaking down and Bobby, Mane & Salah are playing every game there is a chance one or more of them picks up an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Fromvert wrote: »
    Grujic isn't getting much game time at Porto, can we recall him? Not that he's the answer and once players get fit again he'll not be making the squad but surely he can give us some minutes in midfield against the lesser teams in the league. He's 24 and an experienced pro at this point.

If January rolls around and we're still in bits, him giving us 30 minutes a game could be what we need if we can recall him.

Because I'm not confident we'll see a CB come in but hope I'm wrong and Jan 1st we have one leaning.

I looked at this a few weeks ago. Looks like he's out of contract in the summer and possibly has a precontract with Porto. I'm not sure on that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Looking at this, I think Spurs might go 5-3-2 with Davies & Reguilion at the back, Sissoko, Hojberg & Le Celso in the middle and Son & Kane up top.

https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/1339272556772274176?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

6-8 weeks was the estimated timeline given, so no, the news hasn't gotten worse thankfully, just exaggerated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

3 points is what we need. 1 would be a let down. I don't get why anybody would be happy with 1 point.

City and Chelsea dropped points yesterday, Spurs are our biggest rivals so far this year, we need to take 6/6 or 4/6 off them, anything else is going towards capitulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Well it was reported he wouldn't be back till February so December, January & February is a few months to me.

Also the way players a breaking down and Bobby, Mane & Salah are playing every game there is a chance one or more of them picks up an injury.

Probably £40m on a player needed for a few months, or trying to have two high quality players in every position in case of injuries is not a sustainable way to run a football club.

Apart from being a bit light at CB we went into this season in very good shape squadwise. We just got hit with an abnormally high number of injuries across only a couple of positions.

Only signing we should consider in Jan is a center back.

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Probably £40m on a player needed for a few months, or trying to have two high quality players in every position in case of injuries is not a sustainable way to run a football club.

Apart from being a bit light at CB we went into this season in very good shape squadwise. We just got hit with an abnormally high number of injuries across only a couple of positions.

Only signing we should consider in Jan is a center back.

You wouldn't be signing a player like Neto for a few months you would be signing him for a decade.

• Advertisement

Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, R Williams, Fabinho, Robertson, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Jones, Mane, Firmino, Salah

Kelleher, Keita, Ox, Phillips, Minamino, Origi, N Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Here's hoping Rhys Williams plays a stormer. Huge game for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No Matip has me very afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Lads, is tonights match on TV? Was going to go to the pub with my aul lad... but I think its on Amazon?

jebidiah wrote: »
    Lads, is tonights match on TV? Was going to go to the pub with my aul lad... but I think its on Amazon?

Its on Premier Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Sky channel 426.

Premier sports two in Ireland..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Its on Premier Sports.

Would the pubs have that? I have no idea...

I don't rate three of their back four, that gives me hope

Such a big game for Rhys - PL debut. Only up against Kane & Son.

Up to the midfield to protect him and cut off the supply to the front 2 as much as they can. And up to the front lads to put the ball in the net.

Would the pubs have that? I have no idea...

Most would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Its on Premier Sports.

Can you get that on a virgin box - or even a smart tv ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fromvert wrote: »
    I don't rate three of their back four, that gives me hope

In fairness to Mourinho, if there’s one thing he’s brilliant at it’s making a defence function a hell of a lot better than the sum of its parts. Individually they have their weaknesses, but collectively they won’t be easily broken down by any means.

Come on reverse jinx, pull through for me here!

No idea to be honest.

martyos121 wrote: »
    In fairness to Mourinho, if there’s one thing he’s brilliant at it’s making a defence function a hell of a lot better than the sum of its parts. Individually they have their weaknesses, but collectively they won’t be easily broken down by any means.

Come on reverse jinx, pull through for me here!

They're definitely playing well above what I would rate them as capable of. We need to get Mane 1v1 against Aurier, same with Salah on Davies and get around Dier as much as possible.

Now TV day pass with sports extra. Will have to pay though.

You wouldn't be signing a player like Neto for a few months you would be signing him for a decade.

Then see: "trying to have two high quality players in every position in case of injuries is not a sustainable way to run a football club."

What happens when Jota is fit again, a month at most after Neto arrives, and if Salah, Mane & Bobby don't get injured. How often does Neto play then?
    Klopp rarely rotates key players outside of the domestic cups. How much have we really needed Shaq, Divock or Taku (as a forward) this season? Not much by my reckoning. Look at their appearances and that's how much Neto would play.

Club can't afford to drop £40m on a bloke in case someone we already have gets injured. Maybe next season he'd play more if one of the main guys is leaving and he's the long-term replacement. I'm not sure next summer is going to be the time for that cos clubs will still be feeling the financial impact of COVID and as such we're unlikely to get a suitable offer for one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Most would.

God, I hope so. I'm heading to the pub myself.

Don't want to be reduced to having the phone propped up in the table with 4 lads squashed around it.

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Then see: "trying to have two high quality players in every position in case of injuries is not a sustainable way to run a football club."

What happens when Jota is fit again, a month at most after Neto arrives, and if Salah, Mane & Bobby don't get injured. How often does Neto play then?
    Klopp rarely rotates key players outside of the domestic cups. How much have we really needed Shaq, Divock or Taku (as a forward) this season? Not much by my reckoning. Look at their appearances and that's how much Neto would play.

Club can't afford to drop £40m on a bloke in case someone we already have gets injured. Maybe next season he'd play more if one of the main guys is leaving and he's the long-term replacement. I'm not sure next summer is going to be the time for that cos clubs will still be feeling the financial impact of COVID and as such we're unlikely to get a suitable offer for one of them.

You need to recycle the team and one of Bobby, Salah and Mane are due to leave within the next two seasons so you get the replacement in before they go so you aren't paying double in the transfer market.

You need to recycle the team and one of Bobby, Salah and Mane are due to leave within the next two seasons so you get the replacement in before they go so you aren't paying double in the transfer market.

We've already done that with Jota. He's not just here as squad depth, he's here to replace Mane or Salah as nailed on first choice in the next two years. I think that's the limit we can take that approach to.

We cannot afford to have two replacement forwards with large transfer fees at the club in advance of them becoming first choice, because one of them won't play that much. Neto (or anyone else for that matter) won't be able to replace an existing forward after 18 months largely spent on the bench by which point he'll probably be unhappy and wanting to move on. Not unless Klopp changes how he manages the squad.

And I doubt we can afford Neto at this moment in time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Surprised Philips is not starting.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is this only on premier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Shook outfit, worried about that RHS, Trent hasn't recovered from that strain of a few weeks ago, or at least didn't look like it last weekend. Need to fmgovw Rhys a chance to settle in and he'll be sound, the first 15, 20 minutes are crucial. I'd worry about Kane buying another penalty against an inexperienced centre back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

awec wrote: »
    Is this only on premier?

Amazon Prime too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Was in Belfast today picked up the programme for tonight's game in the club shop

Rhys Williams was born in 2001 the treble season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Great noise from the Kop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,040 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Surprised Philips is not starting.

Spurs attack on the ground at pace, which wouldn't be Philips strong point.. Rhys has a lot more pace, and turns quicker, so I'd say that's why he got the nod.

Oof, good effort from Bobby there! Maybe near post might have been better?

Jose parking the bus waiting for the break from Son and Kane.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Running a fine line at the back, a few times now they’ve ended up 2 on 2, would be in trouble if final ball was a bit more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Salah didn't shoot, like wtf

He could have got a shot off, no need to turn again

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement