Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Just realised it's Palace away early on Saturday. Christ.

Anyway will still live of the buzz of an injury time winner until morning.

They played last night as well so it is not like Fulham when they had a week to prepare and we came back from Denmark. At least there is that.

Just on the offside and why it didn't take an age, the explanation I saw was that the parts they measured that determined the lines were on the ground, both players feet, so it was a quick measurement that was done. Maybe that could be the rule for offside, take the feet as the measurement for offside. I think it will reduce the time it takes for decisions to be made if they aren't looking for which part is the furthest forward.

Also, on the angle of the camera without the lines I was convinced he was offside at first. Don Hutchinson was on ESPN FC the other day lamenting VAR and offside and his solution is for the VAR official to decide it by eye without the lines. That should be a reason why you don't do it by eye without calibrating lines, because angles can be deceiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Yeah real tough game,a draw wouldn't be end of the world

Seem to be saying this every week but it's a huge game again, always a tough place to go to, but if we win there then we're six ahead of Spurs who play Leicester on Sunday. Then we have West Brom and Newcastle over Christmas, which you'd expect to get six points from, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm one of those who has said repeatedly how Hojberg has been the main reason why Spurs have been transformed - a dirty José of a player, who gives CBs so much protection that it makes their game so simple. and from there, all Spurs need are a couple of good counters, and they can beat teams with those two up front.

but last night, you could see there are fúcking levels to this shít.

the man was lost in the presence of Gini and Jones - particularly Gini I thought. Hojberg was run rings around in midfield. the clever angles, the shielding of the ball, the passes around the corner to each other. just levels above. all he could do was drop even further into his box.

you could see the Spurs management trying to usher the team up the field, even Mourinho was doing it at times. but they couldn't. because our midfield utterly suffocated them.

as I say ... levels to this shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

jebidiah wrote: »
    I really want to see where Firminho wound up after his celebratory sprint! Are there any angles or clips that show where they were?

Would also like to see a wide angle shot, but just to see if any Liverpool player remembered to stay in the Spurs half to prevent a quick kick-off.
    When I saw so many chasing Bobby towards the Kop, I had a little fear that there could be one of those mad incidents where the ref allows the opposition to re-start before the scoring team is any way organised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Every time I see Jones, I find myself thinking he's turning into a really useful player. Reminds me a lot of when Gerrard first appeared on the scene. He's not a superstar but does a lot of things well from box to box and seems to have a hunger to improve. I'm always worried that he has no competition at present but he's really taking his opportunity to make a place for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'm one of those who has said repeatedly how Hojberg has been the main reason why Spurs have been transformed - a dirty José of a player, who gives CBs so much protection that it makes their game so simple. and from there, all Spurs need are a couple of good counters, and they can beat teams with those two up front.

but last night, you could see there are fúcking levels to this shít.

the man was lost in the presence of Gini and Jones - particularly Gini I thought. Hojberg was run rings around in midfield. the clever angles, the shielding of the ball, the passes around the corner to each other. just levels above. all he could do was drop even further into his box.

you could see the Spurs management trying to usher the team up the field, even Mourinho was doing it at times. but they couldn't. because our midfield utterly suffocated them.

as I say ... levels to this shít.

:rolleyes:
    I wont even try explaining why Hojbjerg was on his own in midfield, as you should be able to work that out
    You must really fear us to be so worried and delighted that yee managed to squeeze the win.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.
    Class match programme too.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I don't see a lot of live football but based on comments and stats it seems Jose has Spurs playing the Jose way. It's undoubtedly effective and it's a results based business but I think it important for football (and my enduring happiness) that he fail.
    He brought Utd to Anfield a few years back and it was far and away the worst Utd performance I had seen ever, anywhere by any UTD team.
    Spurs have a decent team here and could be succesful this year but I hope not. I'd gladly concede a tropy to them after he's left.
    Maybe a league cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

On repeat this morning. Last-minute goal to beat Mourinho :chefs-kiss:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

greenspurs wrote: »
    I wont even try explaining why Hojbjerg was on his own in midfield, as you should be able to work that out
    You must really fear us to be so worried and delighted that yee managed to squeeze the win.

You've played the same tactic against all possession based teams and he's been a monster.

He looked on his own, even though your team was tucked in and compact, because he, and your midfield was outclassed.

My point was more about our midfield's display than Hojberg's, because it gets zero respect compared to what it deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I love Bobby.

There I've said it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Didnt see the after match interviews, did Klopp say anything about subs?

I mean we cant keep going on about players being tired and not even making a substitution.

The Ox situation is a bit odd for example, no sign of minutes on the pitch despite being on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭FluffPiece

Top of the table clash and our only proper sun options were two lads just back from injury, one a long term injury so would have zero match fitness at all and been a risk. Not the time to be grandstanding on subs.

I see with most teams in the league facing at 3 games in approx a week there's talks of 5 subs rule again, wonder why....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

the kelt wrote: »

I mean we cant keep going on about players being tired and not even making a substitution.

The Ox situation is a bit odd for example, no sign of minutes on the pitch despite being on the bench.

He has been out for months its not ideal bringing him on in a high stakes game like last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

He has been out for months its not ideal bringing him on in a high stakes game like last night. Minamino and origi bringing either of them on last night massively weakens the team.

He has been out for months its not ideal bringing him on in a high stakes game like last night.

But every game is a high stakes game though?

Im looking at it from a point of view that we have a hectic schedule coming up and surely game time in the legs of players has to be a positive if we need them to step up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭conor_mc

How was Hojbjerg on his own, he was barely 2-metre social distanced from every other Spurs player most of the time!! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

So where exactly did Bobby end up with that celebration....that's my main question this morning.

So where exactly did Bobby end up with that celebration....that's my main question this morning.

Im so feckin delighted for Bobby though, hes been getting a bit of flak (some warranted, some not) but every day he still puts in a shift even when its just not going for him.

It as such a thumping header, it was a case of "get the eff out of my way, this is mine"

I'm watching SSN and Jose's tactics seem to have worked. Tactical masterclass from him apparently, they should have won, beaten by a late goal and unbelieveably the best team didn't win.
    Best manager of the last 20-25 years? He may have been seven years ago but Fergie is easily ahead of him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

“But it’s only big if you use it in the right way and you try to kick on from it. We’re top of the league for tonight but there’s still a long, long way to go."

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1339512399217504256

Terrific attitude to have. Keep it going now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

martyos121 wrote: »
    A picture speaks a thousand words. :)

EpZDo8fXUAAMHqO?format=jpg&name=medium

Just quoting again to get the day off to a good start....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The front 3 succession is coming along nicely with Jota and Elliot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Maybe he doesn't have confidence in the bench.

Expect purchases in January.

you just reminded me Cartman, I needed to set that as my background to my desktop. It's glorious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I don't see a lot of live football but based on comments and stats it seems Jose has Spurs playing the Jose way. It's undoubtedly effective and it's a results based business but I think it important for football (and my enduring happiness) that he fail.
    He brought Utd to Anfield a few years back and it was far and away the worst Utd performance I had seen ever, anywhere by any UTD team.
    Spurs have a decent team here and could be succesful this year but I hope not. I'd gladly concede a tropy to them after he's left.
    Maybe a league cup.

Successful, up to a point. Very similar plan to Bilic's the other night, he drew with City, and was sacked.
    With some really good players, is this the height of Spurs ambitions though. With the squad he inherited (5 :)) Spurs should be in top 4 or very close, but they should be more ambitious than what we're seeing IMHO.
    These outdated tactics will get you so far, but over time you won't compete with the likes of Liverpool, City, Bayern, the elite clubs playing this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He was hardly on his own, he had Toby one side and Dier on the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Just quoting again to get the day off to a good start....

He looks like that 'really sad' emoji on Whatsapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

it is quite funny Mourinho making out Spurs to be some young team on the rise.

Many of this team challenged for the league in 2016 & CL in 2019. Kane,Alderweireld,Alli,Lamela,Son,Sissoko,Winks,Davies,Lloris & Dier all there a long time. Bale back on huge wages as well.

The core of the squad is actually trying to win something for 5 years.

I have a feeling that Klopp didn't feel that the players were up to the intensity of the game. Ox hasn't kicked a ball since July because of his injury. Keita just back from injury & Origi is not up to it. The ball just bounced off of him every time against Fulham and he could not retain possession. He would only have been a waste last night.

I think we will see a lot of changes for the early kick off Saturday morning. Actual fresh players but asking some to do the 3 games in a week before a week off over Christmas. The fresh players can be a big boost, especially seeing as Palace will be going into their 3rd game in a week also, which is foreign to them.

Alisson
    Neco---Matip---Fabinho----Robbo
    Ox
    Hendo
    Gini
    Keita
    Firmino----Mane

Salah, TAA & Jones all get some action from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

gimli2112 wrote: »
    you just reminded me Cartman, I needed to set that as my background to my desktop. It's glorious

No worries...it's quite possibly my favourite thing on the internet of all times...I'll probably post it up every day here for the next few weeks.

On the work football banter WhatsApp group last night there was a couple of Spurs fans getting a bit snippy but all went quiet when I posted up that epically glorious picture of crying emoji Jose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Successful, up to a point. Very similar plan to Bilic's the other night, he drew with City, and was sacked.
    With some really good players, is this the height of Spurs ambitions though. With the squad he inherited (5 :)) Spurs should be in top 4 or very close, but they should be more ambitious than what we're seeing IMHO.
    These outdated tactics will get you so far, but over time you won't compete with the likes of Liverpool, City, Bayern, the elite clubs playing this way.

I know it's very popular to bash Mourinho, but, tbf to him, Spurs were in freefall when he came in, for all the talk about Poch, Spurs never really looked like winning anything under him, getting to the CL final was a real outlier for them as they had been in freefall in the league since January that year. Mourinho has made them difficult to beat and they are genuine challengers now, I don't think they'll win the league as they're too dependent on Kane and Son, but, they're in better shape than almost every other team in the league especially compared to the likes of Chelsea, United and Man City. Spurs fans won't care how they play if he brings them trophies, they haven't won anything in ages, it's also good to see matches between teams with different styles of play rather than all teams playing the same way.

Imagine you have the the most inform attacking duo in the league and in a big game you ask them to defend for 90 mins, when the opposing team has a midfielder and a 19 year old CB making his debut in defense. Cowardly doesn't even begin to describe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So the narrative is we have no injury crisis and Van Dijk is the only real injury we have,the rest wouldn't get into our first 11,the likes of Thiago and Jota don't count cuz we didn't have them last season!!

So the narrative is we have no injury crisis and Van Dijk is the only real injury we have,the rest wouldn't get into our first 11,the likes of Thiago and Jota don't count cuz we didn't have them last season!!

Who's narrative is that?

Kenny Cunningham?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That game has the potential to be a watershed match like Leicester 4-0 on Stephens' Day last year. They were different matches; Leicester was away and we cruised, this was at home and more hard fought. We can crack on now once we beat Palace. If we do, we've a handy enough few weeks, especially if the others get to the League Cup semi finals and final.

I don't like saying it, but this year we really need to throw the U-23's out against Villa in the Cup as we have had such an exceptional year for injuries. On that theme, the only good news is that we'll have a few faces returning in Jan/Feb who will at least be fresh for the 2nd half of the season and the CL KO rounds.

I said it a few weeks ago, but the one good thing from the injuries is that we've managed to bleed new blood like Jones, Williams and Kelleher (now the definite Nr. 2 behind Alisson). They can now seamlessly fit into the team and they give Klopp sp many options. Jones has the same natural ability as Thiago, Xavi or Iniesta and can learn loads from Henderson and Thiago when he's fit. Not saing he'll be another Xavi/Iniesta but he seems to have the talent and abpve all the head and intelligence for the role.

I was seriously disappointed after the Fulham match, but this has given me new hope. I actually understand why Mourinho said what he did after the match, it's to keep his players morale up and to show them that his negative system is the one to play. To be fair on another day they would have scored again, (so would we), but that's not for here. He was always a genius at the psychological stuff, the likes of Drogba, Lampard, Terry and others attested to this. But we've also gotten under his skin; his comments a couple of days back;"Klopp has 1795 days versus 395 for me" was bizarre, it's a bit like Pep's "TWICE! TWICE! TWICE!" moment last year, and it's good for us.

So what next; we have a couple of handy matches over the next weeks, but we can't let up, with a couple of 8 and 9 day breaks (13 before the Utd match if we play the U-23's against Villa). Spurs, City, Utd and Chelsea have harder schedules. We play Spurs again on Jan 28th, it's part of a run of 4 league matches in 10 days. By then we should have a nice cushion over the others to demoralise them properly.

MD1990 wrote: »
    it is quite funny Mourinho making out Spurs to be some young team on the rise.

Many of this team challenged for the league in 2016 & CL in 2019. Kane,Alderweireld,Alli,Lamela,Son,Sissoko,Winks,Davies,Lloris & Dier all there a long time. Bale back on huge wages as well.

The core of the squad is actually trying to win something for 5 years.

Just a pity he only stays around 3 years, and leaves clubs in a mess. The next guy will be rebuilding after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

6 wrote: »
    Who's narrative is that?

Kenny Cunningham?

Don't have to look too far from here,have a stroll into a few of the threads here on boards

Girly Gal wrote: »
    I know it's very popular to bash Mourinho, but, tbf to him, Spurs were in freefall when he came in, for all the talk about Poch, Spurs never really looked like winning anything under him, getting to the CL final was a real outlier for them as they had been in freefall in the league since January that year. Mourinho has made them difficult to beat and they are genuine challengers now, I don't think they'll win the league as they're too dependent on Kane and Son, but, they're in better shape than almost every other team in the league especially compared to the likes of Chelsea, United and Man City. Spurs fans won't care how they play if he brings them trophies, they haven't won anything in ages, it's also good to see matches between teams with different styles of play rather than all teams playing the same way.

To be honest im not so sure about that.

My cousin is a spurs season ticket holder for 20 years so we were talking yesterday before the game just having a bit of banter.

Spurs fans do care how they play, he said it expressly, "yeah we are winning a few games but we are terrible to look at, just sitting back hoping Kane and Son do something on the break"

He admitted he didnt see them winning much and joked thats par for the course being a spurs fan but we always played the game the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So we have Thiago possibly back soon.

Any news on Milner and Matip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Vicxas wrote: »

Where is Thiago news from? Last I heard was new year. Although I suppose that's not a million miles away now!

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »

Klopp said last night that Matip was fairly close to playing.

"If we played tomorrow it would have been possible [for him] to play. The back was okay but we're not sure why he had that problem [against Fulham] but we’ve got Rhys [Williams] and that’s fine."

Tusky wrote: »
    Where is Thiago news from? Last I heard was new year. Although I suppose that's not a million miles away now!

https://twitter.com/Thiago6/status/1339299928112308231

According to blue moon there should be an asterisk on this title if we win it as we are the only ones allowed fans.

That crafty Liverpool manipulating the Covid numbers so they can have 2000 fans at home games to gain an advantage :rolleyes:

They need to section some lads on that site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

rob316 wrote: »
    According to blue moon there should be an asterisk on this title if we win it as we are the only ones allowed fans.

That crafty Liverpool manipulating the Covid numbers so they can have 2000 fans at home games to gain an advantage :rolleyes:

Why do they still care about us? Not like they're contenders.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Fitz* wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Klopp didn't feel that the players were up to the intensity of the game. Ox hasn't kicked a ball since July because of his injury. Keita just back from injury & Origi is not up to it. The ball just bounced off of him every time against Fulham and he could not retain possession. He would only have been a waste last night.

I think we will see a lot of changes for the early kick off Saturday morning. Actual fresh players but asking some to do the 3 games in a week before a week off over Christmas. The fresh players can be a big boost, especially seeing as Palace will be going into their 3rd game in a week also, which is foreign to them.

Alisson
    Neco---Matip---Fabinho----Robbo
    Ox
    Hendo
    Gini
    Keita
    Firmino----Mane

Salah, TAA & Jones all get some action from the bench.

I'd be amazed if Keita and Ox start, can't see it at all. Hell of a shout if it does happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭FluffPiece

I'd take an asterisk every year I

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'd be amazed if Keita and Ox start, can't see it at all. Hell of a shout if it does happen though.

Yeah maybe one of the two will start but not both.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Divock start. He'll be needed over the next few weeks for better or worse.

What's the story with Milner?

rob316 wrote: »

Surely change to a different symbol. We had an asterisk last season.

Maybe a dollar sign or percentage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

nah, the dollar sign is reserved for the City title years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

1588164728465.jpg

a mini one of these will do nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Kenny Cunningham cannot understand why a high pressing team like Liverpool play with such a high line.

Such a terrible pundit. Everytime he is on premier we get a big win though lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement