Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

x43r0 wrote: »
    Looks like the sniper in the Kop got Dier for the corner

https://twitter.com/smcg72_/status/1339362819087757313

The Anfield ghost pushed him over

39EA431600000578-0-image-a-32_1477927386269.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

So many players concerned with other players, and no one looking at flight of ball except Firmino. I hate that type of defending, loved it last night though.

I thought that really shone through last night. He was so focused on it, like he was willing it onto his head by pure force of will. Maybe he was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

As I said earlier I'm not trying to say Jones will be the next Steven Gerrard, just wondering how their developments compare.

I don't think he's the next Steven Gerrard, looks like the next Xabi Alonso to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The boss wins the award for the 2nd year in a row.

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/1339641135879376896?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Biggest result of the season so far.

Lucky deflection for the opener, and we certainly needed it because all our shots were going straight at Lloris, but good linkup play beforehand from Jones and much like for his opener against Wolves Salah once again showing his striker's instinct for always being in the right place and knowing where the ball is going to fall:

giphy.gif

God I love this man:

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

Also check out Eric Dier there trying to take a bump from Henderson and then throwing himself to the ground under no contact in order to try and dupe the ref into disallowing the goal.

I talked before the game about how I'm tired of seeing teams not make a plan for Spurs' counter attacks, and I feel like we dealt with the pretty well overall. Obviously they scored off a fast break with Son exploiting a lapse in concentration between our two 19 year olds but for the most part we did a good job:

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

Rhys Williams had a really good Premier League debut, again he made a couple little mistakes but he's a 19 year old making his debut against the most in-form forward duo in the league. You can definitely see the difference between himself and Nat Phillips, with the latter being more of an old school no nonsense defender who's a little better in the air, but he's not making passes like these:

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

I get the impression Salah is often seen as the one who doesn't do as much defensive work as the other lads in the front 3, I've never really bought into that belief but I thought last night in particular he did an excellent job chasing down Son whenever we needed him to:

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

Here's the one I talked about yesterday, I'll just quote myself on it:

Jones gets the ball about 25 yards out, he goes to shoot, stops himself, takes another touch and plays a ball that Mane doesn't even have to touch before spinning and shooting.

Even 3 months ago Jones is taking that shot with his week foot and blasting it into Alderweireld, he's matured so well.

giphy.gif

We had plenty more chances throughout the game with pretty much all of them hit directly at Lloris. There's a limit to how many gifs I can post and you can probably find all those strikes on MOTD or somewhere on YouTube anyway so I'd rather throw in some fun stuff like all these cheeky little flair moments we had throughout the game:

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Osmosis how is the quality so good on those? They're actually unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Its a great stat for sure. But to be fair to the Spurs team, they weren't trying to pass much in our half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Training, dedication, natural talent and flair

I download video of the full match from very legitimate sources ;) Then just skim it in iMovie and cut the clips that I want, then the clips are off to whatever gif uploader website isn't completely broken this week :p

I don't really understand computer terms like "image compression" and whatnot but I assume the actual image quality just looks good because the original footage is already pretty high def and so shrinking it makes it look even cleaner :pac:

EDIT: Actually nah, yeah what he said:
    Training, dedication, natural talent and flair

Also if you'll allow me to whine about the refs for a moment:

I was pretty surprised to see them gloss over this handball inside the box so quickly, we've all seen far harsher given this season. The ball isn't travelling particularly fast, it's not hit at Dier from any close range, and it doesn't take any sort of deflection on its way to his arm. This is far more of a handball than many I've seen given over the past few months, but it seems it was barely acknowledged during the game.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I was pretty surprised to see them gloss over this handball inside the box so quickly, we've all seen far harsher given this season. The ball isn't travelling particularly fast, it's not hit at Dier from any close range, and it doesn't take any sort of deflection on its way to his arm. This is far more of a handball than many I've seen given over the past few months, but it seems it was barely acknowledged during the game.

giphy.gif

Sure Spurs were allowed to handle the ball all game. One even helped put Kane through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Yeah, that along with Son's goal irked me a bit.

I'm happy with the decisions themselves: Son was visually level, so it shouldn't have been overturned, and the ball hits Dier right on the edge of the precious sleeve whilst he's challenging a player and probably isn't in a position to pull it out of the way, I think it'd have been a harsh handball.

It's how they got to the decisions. No 47 replays with lines drawn all over them in an effort to find an infringement to punish that we've seen on anything remotely contentious this year. Quick check on Son's goal and none at all on Dier and on we go. I'd be very happy if that's the way things are going be with reffing and VAR from now on, but we all know it won't be. The electron microscopes and long waits will be right back out every other game this season.

It has to be consistent. Either look up the proverbial hole of every decision or use it for obvious mistakes only. Excessively analysing some decisions and not others is the worst option.

4 players named in the FIFPro Team of the Year, all 4 have missed significant time through injuries this season

EpdnfSRXMAExIbT?format=jpg&name=medium

(Also Mane should 100% be in there ahead of Ronaldo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Stephens day game is against WBA and the last manager to win in the league at Anfield was Big Sam.

:)

James Pearce & Tim Spiers the Wolves reporter in the Athletic reporting tonight Wolves are preparing a bid for Origi in January and Liverpool are prepared to listen of offers.

Also reporting that it is unlikely Liverpool will bring in any players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

James Pearce & Tim Spiers the Wolves reporter in the Athletic reporting tonight Wolves are preparing a bid for Origi in January and Liverpool are prepared to listen of offers.

Also reporting that it is unlikely Liverpool will bring in any players.

Ah we should at least recall Elliot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wonder is there some sort of accounting arrangement going to be made between the clubs for Origi.

Wolves wanted to buy Origi a couple seasons back for £22m and big was accepted but Origi didn't want to move as they were a newly promoted team then. Fair enough.

Liverpool owe money to Wolves due to the Jota transfer, which was offset by the Hoever transfer. Wolves are also in a bit of bother with FFP so can't really spend a whole lot of money. I wonder could there be some kind of agreement to write off the Jota fee owed and send Origi on a free or some sort of accounting nonsense like that. Just balance each other off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

giphy.gif

Dier also has his arms out forwards in an almost un-natural position there, to prevent Salah from jumping, so if you didn't give the handball, you could (probably hardly in fairness) give the penalty for Dier impeding Salah

Football Weekly podcast going along with Jose and saying the better team lost last night :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ball clearly hits Dier at the T-shirt line.

Not handball. Move on

8-10 wrote: »

Not handball. Move on

I've literally never heard this "t shirt line" thing before this season, the ball hits his bicep, it's well below the shoulder, if he scored with that part of his body it would 100% be ruled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

ezgif-3-61fca0c49c6c.gif

A bit of fancy footwork bought him the space. He wasn't free, he freed himself

I've literally never heard this "t shirt line" thing before this season, the ball hits his bicep, it's well below the shoulder, if he scored with that part of his body it would 100% be ruled out.

T-Shirt line was only brought in this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Dier one still looks below that line to me... like, the ball definitely touches skin.

As said by others, I don't have a problem with those things not being given, but it's irritating that it wasn't even looked at in this instance... just want consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The Stephens day game is against WBA and the last manager to win in the league at Anfield was Big Sam.

It's on the 27th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Speak Now wrote: »
    It's on the 27th.

AC on the mulled wine early it would seem.

ebbsy wrote: »
    AC on the mulled wine early it would seem.

I wish I'll be working all over it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I thought that's why Carra always wore long sleeves? That, and to wipe his snots.

Crazy league, had Firmino not scored, and if United win game in hand they'd be top .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Crazy league, had Firmino not scored, and if United win game in hand they'd be top .

No, we'd be JOINT TOP with them. :D

To make that gag work, I'm assuming they'd be ahead of us on GD

Not a gag, just shocking. How crazy would that be with two games to go..... United in 9th, then two games later Champions .

We had 48 pts on Christmas day last season. 28 pts currently. Table is crazy, it's like a 10 horse race now.

We need a 5 games win streak to put a gap in the race, and that's not easy this season. Need to win away games,

Capturegjdfjdfs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Those are crazy tables! Utd in bottom 5 of the Home one and Liverpool in bottom 5 of the Away one.

Arsenal have been better away than Liverpool? Arsenal! Klopp out!

Palace away next , at least their home form is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I agree with you, but from the image that has been circulated this season about what's allowed and not. I think it might be barely okay.

To be honest I think all this "let's analyse where it hit on the arm, is he 2 mm offside, what's intentional or not" is a bit too dystopian for me. I like "human error" more than "wrong angle of moment captured" error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Our away form is skewed by the 4 points dropped at Everton and Brighton where, at best, very marginal decisions went against us, and at worst we were completely swindled in both games. Especially Everton, whatever about the offside at the end, they should've played most of that match with 10 men.

We weren't stellar against Brighton, but still really should've ground out the win.

So what we're left with after that is a draw away to City (no shame there) an aberration against Villa and a poor performance against Fulham. Plus a very useful win at Chelsea.

Considering the number of injuries and fixture congestion that doesn't point to a problem on the road that can't be shaken off and I fully expect we'll win our share of away games over the remainder of the season.

Just saw NBC did a 5 minute segment after the game arguing that Dier throwing himself to the ground during Bobby's goal was actually a clear foul from Henderson, unbelievable stuff.

Inside the box has different rules, you'll see plenty of nothing fouls given outside the box, but not in the box. Everyone hustles for positions at corners, lots of bumping and barging , stuff going on off the ball is just Football. As long as it's not affecting the goal its good.
    Dyer seemed to have lost his man, and decided to try buy a foul, simple as .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Year, all 4 have missed significant time through injuries this season

TAA has missed 2 games and subbed off after 22 mins in one of them

TAA has missed 2 games and subbed off after 22 mins in one of them

He got injured against Man City on November 8th right before the International Break where he didn't take part, then missed games against Leicester, Atalanta, Brighton, and Ajax before coming on for the last 22 minutes against Wolves. I'd say a full month out in a season that's only been going 3 months is a significant amount of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Just saw NBC did a 5 minute segment after the game arguing that Dier throwing himself to the ground during Bobby's goal was actually a clear foul from Henderson, unbelievable stuff.

If they want that given as a foul against in the box at a corner then you will see many more penalties as well as the amount of holding and barging of attacking players will need to be looked at, at every corner.

They complain about VAR slowing things down and making it technical to mm's but then want marginal decisions to be looked at for, as Toby notes, stuff that happens at every corner. You get those type of blocking runs at every corner so unless they want to forget about teams taking corners because automatic foul every time, the media should find better things to create talking points for them to fill the space they have.

I didn't see the Tottenham players going mental for a foul and didn't see Mourinho crying about it afterwards. Had it been a clear foul you can be sure they would have. But they know he lost his man and then tried to buy the foul, you win some you lose some in that respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

8-10 wrote: »

Not handball. Move on

The ball clearly hits part of his bicep too.

Haven't checked into it but the rule needs to be clear. It should be something like if any part of the ball touches the t-shirt line then it is not handball, which means it can also touch the bicep as in this case.

Or the ball has to be 100% on the t-shirt line and if any part of it touches the bicep, as here, then it is a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

tinpib wrote: »
    The ball clearly hits part of his bicep too.

Haven't checked into it but the rule needs to be clear. It should be something like if any part of the ball touches the t-shirt line then it is not handball, which means it can also touch the bicep as in this case.

Or the ball has to be 100% on the t-shirt line and if any part of it touches the bicep, as here, then it is a foul.

Reading your post reminds me of this!

8120942-0-image-a-14_1546594859860.jpg

Can we get Hawkeye monitoring t-shirt lines?! :pac:

The use of technology is getting ridiculous. Soon we'll have players dressing up like Tron with interactive suits on electronic field monitoring down to the nanometre of positioning.

Inside Anfield Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Our away form is skewed by the 4 points dropped at Everton and Brighton where, at best, very marginal decisions went against us, and at worst we were completely swindled in both games. Especially Everton, whatever about the offside at the end, they should've played most of that match with 10 men.

We weren't stellar against Brighton, but still really should've ground out the win.

So what we're left with after that is a draw away to City (no shame there) an aberration against Villa and a poor performance against Fulham. Plus a very useful win at Chelsea.

Considering the number of injuries and fixture congestion that doesn't point to a problem on the road that can't be shaken off and I fully expect we'll win our share of away games over the remainder of the season.

Our away form is rotten, its not skewed at all
    No wins in the last 5
    We have the 5th worst away record in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Our away form is rotten, its not skewed at all
    No wins in the last 5
    We have the 5th worst away record in the league

Even with the teams we had we should be winning against Fulham and Brighton away.

The Villa game was a complete aberration but those two games were definitely dropped points.

As much as we can take the piss out of Ole and United they have won 5 of their 6 away games.

I think for our mentality as much as beating Spurs, a win on Sunday is huge to break this poor away form and kick on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement