Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

United have the best overall recent form, only dropped 2 points of the last 15. They also have a big squad. They're not going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Long time lurker - First time poster here. Gonna use my first post to make a few bold predictions:

Liverpool are going to stay top of the league from here on out and win the Champions League again, and event which causes blue moon servers to catch fire. Curtis Jones wins the Ballon d'Or and captains England to the world cup final in Qatar where they thankfully lose 7-1 to Iceland (their consolation goal is obviously a deflected Harry Kane header). Klopp leaves Liverpool at the end of his contract as the second most successful manager in the club's history, he leaves to manage the German national team which terrifies/enrages Richard Keys to the point of insanity.

Ole wins the Europa League and is immediately given a 9-year contract, Cavani leaves at the end of the season and Ole signs Andy Carroll as cover and he forms a lethal partnership with Daniel James.

Arsenal sack Arteta and finally get rid of all of their deadweight players, unfortunately they do not manage to get rid of DT and Troopz and remain in relegation battles for the best part of a decade.

After only winning the FA cup, City give Messi a billion pounds a week. His debut is a league cup game away to stoke, he scores 5 and assists 3 but that tedious saying still won't go away. They are knocked out of the CL by Atalanta, which is fine as they didn't want to win it anyway cos of reasons.

Mourinho continues to transform Spurs into a powerhouse that challenges for every competition for years. Obviously they win nothing but Harry Kane manages to break the Henry/De Bruyne assist record which, as we all know, is the real quiz.

I'm to lazy to do one for Chelsea, Chelsea can **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

United have the best overall recent form, only dropped 2 points of the last 15. They also have a big squad. They're not going anywhere.

Its a bit of a mad one because they have been truely awful and clawing results back ebrry game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

1230, Saturday morning.

That's The title of a horror movie for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

emo72 wrote: »
    1230, Saturday morning.

This is the second recent 12.30pm kick off time, along with the recent 5.55pm CL kickoff - it's just not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Inside Anfield Spurs

Ah lads, that bit @ 8:50 where Bobby does the heart symbol and points to the Kop. It's far too early to feel these kind of feelings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pearce is saying Liverpool are very happy with how Elliott is progressing and they have no intention of recalling him in January.

Pearce is saying Liverpool are very happy with how Elliott is progressing and they have no intention of recalling him in January.

He would probably be a better option than Minamino or Origi, but he is better off where he is.

Best option. Got to think long term, the lad looks a good talent.

Full view of Bobby's goal and where he ran.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1339847870724382725?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Full view of Bobby's goal and where he ran.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1339847870724382725?s=20

Actually that helps to show how pathetic Dier was throwing himself to the floor. He actually tried to reach out and grab TAA's arm, couldn't get it and started to fall over as Henderson ran past him.

If pundits are saying that that was a foul they should be signing up to Trump's legal team!

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Actually that helps to show how pathetic Dier was throwing himself to the floor. He actually tried to reach out and grab TAA's arm, couldn't get it and started to fall over as Henderson ran past him.

If pundits are saying that that was a foul they should be signing up to Trump's legal team!

They don't actually think it is a foul, they just want to get Liverpool fans all riled up.

For whatever reason football media still hasn't realised that the Katie Hopkins method of increasing interest isn't the best long-term strategy. As soon as they do, Danny Murphy and Danny Mills are ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Klopp has said that Thiago, Milner & Shaq will be back in full team training next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Fitz* wrote: »
    Klopp has said that Thiago, Milner & Shaq will be back in full team training next week.

tenor.gif

No offence to Shaq and Milner but the gif is for Thiago!!!

I'm sure that Robbo is liking it too! Might mean some time off for him too with Milner back.

I'm sure that Robbo is liking it too! Might mean some time off for him too with Milner back.

Losing Milner was equivalent to losing 3 or 4 players in one go, such is his versatility! An underrated injury imo, opposition fans should really be aware of this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Hallelujah and Amen to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Milner is a great asset to the squad, at 34 the guy could still play anywhere you ask him and do a 8/10 job.

Shaq I always have time for, hes injured alot but has a lot of quality about him, better option than Minamino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I was wondering about shaq yesterday, might help with our attacking options.

• Advertisement

WBA will be too soon for Thiago probably. Possibly see him on the bench against Newcastle on December 30th? Southampton on Jan 4th could be pencilled in for his return game.

He has been out for over 2 months after all so will need to get that match fitness back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

WBA will be too soon for Thiago probably. Possibly see him on the bench against Newcastle on December 30th? Southampton on Jan 4th could be pencilled in for his return game.

He has been out for over 2 months after all so will need to get that match fitness back up.

I would definitely not be risking Thiago against an Allardyce team and tactics.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I would definitely not be risking Thiago against an Allardyce team and tactics.

I just realised we have to play against him twice :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Have to say that Curtis Jones surprised me. A real mature performance with some flair too. Excellent movement off the ball and at the right times too. He has real supportive environment too with some excellent players to learn from. If everything works out for him the sky's the limit.

I see so many people on Twitter, FB etc... say Klopp wants 5 sub rule but made zero against Spurs, I find that it's so very dim witted of people to use this argument without even beginning to think about the context of why he used none against Spurs or why having the option of 5 subs doesn't mean you HAVE to use 5 subs every game, if I applied the same kind of nonsensical logic to arguments I might suggest that because Klopp used no subs against Spurs then clearly there's no need for ANY actual subs in a game, why don't we get rid of the sub rule altogether? I mean it was the first time in years no subs were used but fck it, let's use it as an argument to show why Klopp clearly is being selfish.

Every league in Europe has the 5 subs rule, the CL has it, FA Cup will have it, Championship etc etc, why are the PL being so pig headed about it, I can't understand it tbh. 10 teams voted for it, yet you'd swear Klopp was on a one man mission to introduce the rule, all for his own benefit of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I see so many people on Twitter, FB etc... say Klopp wants 5 sub rule but made zero against Spurs, I find that it's so very dim witted of people to use this argument without even beginning to think about the context of why he used none against Spurs or why having the option of 5 subs doesn't mean you HAVE to use 5 subs every game, if I applied the same kind of nonsensical logic to arguments I might suggest that because Klopp used no subs against Spurs then clearly there's no need for ANY actual subs in a game, why don't we get rid of the sub rule altogether? I mean it was the first time in years no subs were used but fck it, let's use it as an argument to show why Klopp clearly is being selfish.

Every league in Europe has the 5 subs rule, the CL has it, FA Cup will have it, Championship etc etc, why are the PL being so pig headed about it, I can't understand it tbh. 10 teams voted for it, yet you'd swear Klopp was on a one man mission to introduce the rule, all for his own benefit of course.

He should have said he wanted two subs, they would be up to four by now.

• Advertisement

I see so many people on Twitter, FB etc... say Klopp wants 5 sub rule but made zero against Spurs, I find that it's so very dim witted of people to use this argument without even beginning to think about the context of why he used none against Spurs

Pretty much, he didn't make subs against Spurs because all he had on the bench were a mix of kids and players coming back from long injury layoffs. If we had the 5 subs available from the start of the season he wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

emo72 wrote: »
    1230, Saturday morning.

Was once the dream for those of us fond of an early session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Markitron wrote: »
    Pretty much, he didn't make subs against Spurs because all he had on the bench were a mix of kids and players coming back from long injury layoffs. If we had the 5 subs available from the start of the season he wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

Would you not have had to use some of the players that werent good enough to come on on last Weds night at some stage , to rotate with the first 11 players that are now injured ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Was once the dream for those of us fond of an early session.

My session days are over but I used to go for a long-ish walk and then get into the same seat in the same quiet pub with full view of the big screen at around 12:20pm with the paper and get a bit of lunch.

I enjoyed that.

Looking forward to it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

greenspurs wrote: »
    Would you not have had to use some of the players that werent good enough to come on on last Weds night at some stage , to rotate with the first 11 players that are now injured ??

I literally answered that question in a post on the other thread, which you’ve since replied to... not sure if you’re being purposefully obtuse?

Ox and Keita are good enough - they’re just not fit enough to be viable options. Mina ink and Origi are ok options for certain circumstances - just not the circumstances of that game.

And again, the argument is not that all teams should have to make 5 subs every game. It’s that if you have the option to make 5 subs, it’s a great extra tool at your disposal to keep players fit and healthy. It’s a fairly obvious and inarguable point - the counterpoint is just that squads staying fit and healthy benefits big teams more than small ones, which is why they vote against it even where it means they’ll likely have more injuries themselves as a result.

• Advertisement

My taking on Klopp not making a substitution in the game was simply down to him not wanting to break the rhythm the team were in against the continuous robotic play of Spurs.

My taking on Klopp not making a substitution in the game was simply down to him not wanting to break the rhythm the team were in against the continuous robotic play of Spurs.

There was simply no change that wouldn’t have hurt us more than it helped us.

Hope to christ Ox and Keita can get up to speed fairly quickly. Desperately need them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I literally answered that question in a post on the other thread, which you’ve since replied to... not sure if you’re being purposefully obtuse?

Ox and Keita are good enough - they’re just not fit enough to be viable options. Mina ink and Origi are ok options for certain circumstances - just not the circumstances of that game.

And again, the argument is not that all teams should have to make 5 subs every game. It’s that if you have the option to make 5 subs, it’s a great extra tool at your disposal to keep players fit and healthy. It’s a fairly obvious and inarguable point - the counterpoint is just that squads staying fit and healthy benefits big teams more than small ones, which is why they vote against it even where it means they’ll likely have more injuries themselves as a result.
    yeh, i think you mentioned Chamberlain and Keita once or twice :rolleyes: i didnt .

Yet Klopp said this about Minamino
    https://www.empireofthekop.com/2020/12/16/klopp-goes-big-on-minamino-in-slightly-odd-match-day-programme-comments-says-lfc-must-follow-takis-example/

But not enough to play 15 mins Vs Spurs ?
    Seems a bit strange....

So he wants to be able to make 5 subs, but doesnt have enough quality players to do so, even if he could ..
    And the reason he doesnt, is he couldnt make 5 subs earlier in the season to rotate his top players with the lesser ones to protect the top ones from injury ... but now he wont/cant bring on any of the lesser ones ..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    There was simply no change that wouldn’t have hurt us more than it helped us.

Hope to christ Ox and Keita can get up to speed fairly quickly. Desperately need them to.

Exactly.

Our bench is hit and miss due to injuries. If the 5 subs were in place there wouldn't be as many injuries as you'd have better subs to rotate throughout games.

This is common sense.

yeh, i think you mentioned Chamberlain and Keita once or twice :rolleyes: i didnt .

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2020/12/16/klopp-goes-big-on-minamino-in-slightly-odd-match-day-programme-comments-says-lfc-must-follow-takis-example/

Seems a bit strange....

So he wants to be able to make 5 subs, but doesnt have enough quality players to do so, even if he could ..
    And the reason he doesnt, is he couldnt make 5 subs earlier in the season to rotate his top players with the lesser ones to protect the top ones from injury ... but now he wont/cant bring on any of the lesser ones ..

Lol, manager says nice things about hopelessly out of form player. The first line after those nice things in the article is; “Minamino often looks bereft of confidence on the field, so we really hope this boosts him”

Minamino seems a lovely lad, but he’s been really poor this season. I’d love him to be an option, but right now putting him on the field in place of Salah, Firmino, or Mane is a massive downgrade. Shaq (also injured) has moved comfortable ahead of him in the pecking order, so in a fit squad he’s ranked 6th or 7th for the attackers.

He’s still used those fringe players though, in the CL and games against smaller teams, but a top of the title clash when you’re chasing a goal just wasn’t the place for it. Same as Jose refusing to use Parrott when he had no forwards because he just wasn’t up to it.

But again - you’re locked in on this one match for some weird reason, when the argument is not that all teams should have to make 5 subs every game. It’s that if you have the option to make 5 subs, it’s a great extra tool at your disposal to keep players fit and healthy. It’s a fairly obvious and inarguable point

Seems a bit strange....

You seem fixated on the fact Liverpool made no subs. Would it have placated you if after Firmino bulleted in that 90th minute winner that Klopp threw on a sub as a token gesture time wasting exercise? Would all this go away then? and we'd be all agreed on the 5 sub rule, just like both clubs seem to be in agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,279 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Seems a bit strange....

do you agree or not with 5 subs? as other posters said they wont be used every game but its good to have the option no?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Any idea who the 10 that voted against are?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

tinpib wrote: »
    My session days are over but I used to go for a long-ish walk and then get into the same seat in the same quiet pub with full view of the big screen at around 12:20pm with the paper and get a bit of lunch.

I enjoyed that.

Looking forward to it again.

I'm a horse racing fan along with others in the family so we do enjoy early pints when we can to watch the nags, thought I'd be grand doing this on the day of 2018 CL Final....I don't remember a whole lot of that match tbh.

I remember roaring in anger a few times though. :pac:

Lifted from the PL thread..

https://twitter.com/JamieJackson___/status/1339587822798323716

• Advertisement

Aston Villa, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Leicester City, Leeds United, Newcastle United, Sheffield United, West Ham United and Wolves.

Wolves and Leicester are a bit surprising, the latter especially as they’ve had tonnes of big injuries this year - 3 of their first choice back 4 probably in Castagne, Pereira, and Soyuncu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The UK seems to be always so far behind on player welfare. More so since they sold their souls to TV.

It may come back to bite them next year with players missing for the Euros. But the TV companies don’t give a shyte about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

KevRossi wrote: »
    The UK seems to be always so far behind on player welfare. More so since they sold their souls to TV.

It may come back to bite them next year with players missing for the Euros. But the TV companies don’t give a shyte about that.

It's been always thus.... and a Tory led culture moving away from European Labour laws over the coming heads post Brexit isn't going to help in this regard either. If you're working on a peanuts minimum wage for 60 hours on a zero hour contract, you're not going to listen to someone saying your team's Uruguayan winger isn't playing well because he's playing 90 minutes 3 times a week, or is flying back from Spain @2am on Thursday and has to play in Brighton @12.30 on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

KevRossi wrote: »

It’s not just the uk, it’s FIFA. Have a listen to the most recent Ornstein and Chapman Athletic podcast (free) on the Bosman ruling 25 years on and the collapse of French league tv money. They have a good chat with a Fifapro representative. The long and the short of it is clubs and FIFA always have their own interests at heart and money is the cornerstone. Any welfare change is always met with a cry of your going to ruin football and kill clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Klopp seems to be getting under the skin of a good few spurs supporters for some reason,don't know why is comments in the media upset them so much.

Klopp seems to be getting under the skin of a good few spurs supporters for some reason,don't know why is comments in the media upset them so much.

I know a few Spurs fans who though they were back at the big boy table after being joint top of the league for a few weeks the first time in something like 50 years and they are starting to turn into mini clones of Jose and his attitude to football everyone is there enemy mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

success breeds contempt

it's not that hard to dislike the managers of your rivals and Sam Allardyce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Course they hate Klopp in Madrid it was Jurgen or Poch who was about to take there team to another level and unfortunately for Spurs it was Jurgen

If Spurs had of won that god knows where they would be now

Alex was right all those years ago...Lads, it’s Tottenham!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

What was the result of the last vote, was it ten as well?

I don’t see the point of increasing the amount of subs on the bench if you are not increasing the amount of subs you can use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement