Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Dickerty wrote: »
    Their record against the top teams is terrible

6-1 defeat v Spurs
    0-0 v Chelsea
    1-0 defeat v Arsenal
    0-0 v City

Flat track bullies. You can't win it unless you beat the other title challengers (and Arsenal!)

I kinda hope to see a team, obviously Liverpool, do it one day. 90 points from the bottom 15, win the league at that.

Not soon, not this team but sometime just for the oddity of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Markitron wrote: »
    back when it was the top 4 it was unthinkable that Arsenal would drop out of that group.

Yeah remember when they got really fed up with just always finishing 2nd/3rd/4th every season and wanted Wenger gone.
    Well..... it worked!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

With the way the season is panning out, 5 or 6 wins on the bounce would pull us well clear of the chasing pack I'd imagine.

West Brom, Newcastle and Southampton up next before a mouth-watering mid-January fixture at home to Man Utd.

This could be the critical 3-4 weeks of the season that's looked back on in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

United could well be our biggest challengers ( can't believe I just wrote this)for most of the season they have been desperately poor, only for a lot of dodgy VAR decisions going their way they'd be in mid table. They've started to play better in the last few weeks, they have a huge squad with little to no injuries and probably the biggest factor is crucial VAR decisions always seem to go their way. On the other had VAR is crucifying us, we have a lot of mid to long term injuries, which all adds up to us being held back to the pack and keeping United within striking distance. All it would take is for them to get lucky against us and then they're right in it. I know it's far fetched to think United could win the league, but, look where they are now despite being so poor all season and they will be helped all the way by VAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

If we assume the top half all win their games in hand (I know that's not possible), then there is only 7 points between 1st and 10th.
    Same point last season, it was 8 points....between 1st and 2nd.

It was 24 points back to 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

With the way the season is panning out, 5 or 6 wins on the bounce would pull us well clear of the chasing pack I'd imagine.

West Brom, Newcastle and Southampton up next before a mouth-watering mid-January fixture at home to Man Utd.

This could be the critical 3-4 weeks of the season that's looked back on in May.

With players coming back from injury and no LC games, I actually expect max points from those games. I am normally quite pessimistic but I think we win this league again relatively easily.

With players coming back from injury and no LC games, I actually expect max points from those games. I am normally quite pessimistic but I think we win this league again relatively easily.

Our results have been very consistent despite the injuries, our worst defensive showing when we had our first choice back 4 in place! We've coped extremely well. Jota had been carrying the attack a little, he's out for a while, and all 4 strikers score against Palace.

Mentality Monsters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

6 wrote: »
    I'll be shocked if City either don't finish 2nd or win the league.

Yeah City are still our main rivals as they have the most potential to go on a long unbeaten run. While we were all getting giddy at the 7-0 on Saturday City went about their business and got a 1-0 away win to an in form Southhampton. Theres a long way to go in this league yet but come April I think City to be our closest contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

SSN reporting Mo's Liverpool future is under scrutiny after one of his ex-team mates says he's unhappy at the club.

I'm on tenterhooks. Story will probably be some weird Egyptian he played with 20 years ago.

edit: yup some weird egyptian

There's something not at all right at City, if they win their game in hand they go to 26 pts after 14 games....... 5 draws and 2 losses. Utd are on 26 points after 13 games. The underperformance of that City team/squad won't be remedied this season IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gimli2112 wrote: »
    SSN reporting Mo's Liverpool future is under scrutiny after one of his ex-team mates says he's unhappy at the club.

I'm on tenterhooks. Story will probably be some weird Egyptian he played with 20 years ago.

Pretty much - Mohamed Aboutrika.

Not too worried... still though, maybe time to resign Lovren!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

gimli2112 wrote: »

edit: yup some weird egyptian

His name is Mohamed Aboutrika who last played for Egypt in 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Augeo wrote: »
    There's something not at all right at City, if they win their game in hand they go to 26 pts after 14 games....... 5 draws and 2 losses. Utd are on 26 points after 13 games. The underperformance of that City team/squad won't be remedied this season IMO.

We've been hearing for a season and a half now that they will go on a run, but they haven't managed more than 4 wins in a row in that time. Without Aguero, I find they are decidedly average, all bluster with little threat. They are still capable of better than the rest though and why I see them as our main challenger but even then they can't touch us. Barring a disastrous collapse due to injuries, it's Liverpool's title to lose.

SSN really scraping the barrell for sources. Mo Salah's future in doubt after gimli2112 speculated on Boards.ie he might be off. Full story to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You are correct, I have also stopped looking at other teams results.

Jota and Thiago to come back.

The League is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

They let their leadership leave, retire etc and haven't replaced them. Guardiola likes a certain type of talented footballer but doesn't seem to add leadership into his criteria.

ebbsy wrote: »
    You are correct, I have also stopped looking at other teams results.

Jota and Thiago to come back.

The League is over.

Thiago will turn our away form, while Fab is playing CB like he was born to, we miss his control and break up of play in midfield. Henderson can do a job there but he excels box to box. Fabinho just knows when to stick the foot in, in midfield and stop an attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah I'm not worried about the Salah furore now at all. Mountain out of a molehill.

Salah disappointed that he's not captain. Of course he is, every player with that level of drive should be. The fact he wants to captain Liverpool is a good thing. Along with him saying that he wants to break all the goalscoring records at Liverpool. He also said he wants to win more major trophies at Liverpool. He wants more.

And I think every football responds the same way when they are asked about playing for Barca or Madrid. If course it's a nice option. He's just leaving the option open.

Nothing is forever in football, but I'm confident that Salah will be staying another couple of seasons before he leaves. Won't stay til he's 34 but if we get another 2 seasons after this current one, we'll be doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah City are still our main rivals as they have the most potential to go on a long unbeaten run. While we were all getting giddy at the 7-0 on Saturday City went about their business and got a 1-0 away win to an in form Southhampton. Theres a long way to go in this league yet but come April I think City to be our closest contenders.

I think your right it that City will at some point start getting more consitent.

But they were awful against Southampton.
    If Ings had stayed on they would not have won that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I can't recall the last time I was so hyped for a player returning like Thiago

It's like the second coming of Alonso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Maybe its just the ptsd of Utd winning everything for all those years but I am always wary of them.

rob316 wrote: »
    We've been hearing for a season and a half now that they will go on a run, but they haven't managed more than 4 wins in a row in that time..................

Indeed, can't see them going on a run that will be a title winning one tbh. They just can't seem to get it together.

They let their leadership leave, retire etc and haven't replaced them. Guardiola likes a certain type of talented footballer but doesn't seem to add leadership into his criteria.

That's likely it, I used to think once De Bruyne was fit and firing they were formidable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Barca & Madrid can't afford to even pay there own players so I doubt they could spend £150m on Salah.

French football is fcuked now there TV deal collapsed so PSG won't be paying that money either as the need to stay within FFP still.

Mbappe and £50m might be tempting though.

Indeed, can't see them going on a run that will be a title winning one tbh. They just can't seem to get it together.

I'm not one of those people that thinks Pep is a fraud, but I think City's form over the last 18 months has definitely proven that he isn't capable of building his own great team.

4 years and a billion pounds later and he's still relying on the players that were there when he arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Regardless of present form, City are absolutely the team to watch. They've tightened up hugely at the back and the goals will come again. We finish above them and we'll win the league.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    Regardless of present form, City are absolutely the team to watch. They've tightened up hugely at the back and the goals will come again. We finish above them and we'll win the league.

Agree with that, their lack of goals is a problem for them though.

I'm not one of those people that thinks Pep is a fraud, but I think City's form over the last 18 months has definitely proven that he isn't capable of building his own great team.

4 years and a billion pounds later and he's still relying on the players that were there when he arrived.

This. The players central to his 2 titles were there before him. You give him the best he will win but he can't do what Klopp has done. They suffer massively without Aguero though and are just a bunch of flat track bullies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Dickerty wrote: »
    Our results have been very consistent despite the injuries, our worst defensive showing when we had our first choice back 4 in place! We've coped extremely well. Jota had been carrying the attack a little, he's out for a while, and all 4 strikers score against Palace.

Mentality Monsters!

I honestly think the absence of Henderson was a bigger factor in this game.

MOTD on Saturday deservedly spent a bit of time highlighting the unglamorous and mostly unsung work he does covering for both full backs.

Despite the money we've spent in recent seasons on the likes of Thiago, Keita and Fab, he is the first name I want to see in the starting midfield.

He's playing the football of his career in the last couple of seasons and rarely has anything other than an excellent game.

That is a good shout but for me it was Adrian, his howler in the first few minutes set the tone. That 7-2 would not have happened with Ali.

That is a good shout but for me it was Adrian, his howler in the first few minutes set the tone. That 7-2 would not have happened with Ali.

We would of lost that game anyway but Villa just hit everything at our goal and it went in or was deflected. It was like that Stoke game, we were muck that day but they were hitting worldy's with some luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

robwen wrote: »

I know this is all great, but it makes me really anxious watching him do that stuff just 2 months after doing his cruciate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Barca wanted 750m for Messi, then Salah is worth 1 billion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Liverpool should look for some endorsement deals for Salah. They know how to get commercial revenue for club, can get him a mega deal to keep him happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

MOTD on Saturday deservedly spent a bit of time highlighting the unglamorous and mostly unsung work he does covering for both full backs.

Despite the money we've spent in recent seasons on the likes of Thiago, Keita and Fab, he is the first name I want to see in the starting midfield.

He's playing the football of his career in the last couple of seasons and rarely has anything other than an excellent game.

Our worst performances this season have coincided with Hendo being absent or not being fully fit, he is our most indispensible player imo

Liverpool should look for some endorsement deals for Salah. They know how to get commercial revenue for club, can get him a mega deal to keep him happy.

I’m not sure that would really help... he’s got tonnes of endorsements already, and he’ll get those anywhere he goes. If anything, his endorsement value would only be improved by being at Barca or Madrid.

I’d imagine in relation to the club what he wants is to be paid what he thinks he’s worth. He was bumped up 2 years ago, and then played a big part in winning the league and CL, so it seems logical that he would be due another bump up. Sadio too - think he’s on considerably less than Mo!

Salah is the highest paid player at Liverpool on £200k.

There is a few Man U players paid a lot more than that.

City will have a load of players on more.

Bale is on crazy money.

PEA & Ozil are are on £350k a week.

The interview for me was just a public give me a pay rise to go with his private talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Does Mo know that Madrid not only can’t afford him, but probably have him as 3rd on their list of priorities behind Mbappe and Haaland, potentially even behind Pogba and Sancho.

And Barcelona can’t afford him.

I’d be shocked if either went near him. It’s not as if he’s 23/24 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

According to Forbes, Salah is the fourth highest paid football player in the world. Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar are the top three. His earnings are a fraction of theirs, but he isn't short of a few pennies,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

garra wrote: »
    Our worst performances this season have coincided with Hendo being absent or not being fully fit, he is our most indispensible player imo

This is somewhat true but we can also play like shít while he's on the pitch, just look at the Fulham performance last week.

• Advertisement

I have just the thing!

0943503262a698327d269bd7ad5a0f0a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

MD1990 wrote: »
    I think your right it that City will at some point start getting more consitent.

But they were awful against Southampton.
    If Ings had stayed on they would not have won that game.

Only saw the goal but heard City had to grind out the win. Nonetheless they seem to have fixed their problems at the back with four clean sheets in the last five games now. If they can get firing up front they will be our main challenger. The next six or seven games are crucial for them though, they cant afford any more dropped points against the likes of West Brom.
    Fitz* wrote: »
    Salah disappointed that he's not captain. Of course he is, every player with that level of drive should be. The fact he wants to captain Liverpool is a good thing. Along with him saying that he wants to break all the goalscoring records at Liverpool. He also said he wants to win more major trophies at Liverpool. He wants more.

Kind of funny but I wouldnt have picked Salah as captain material. In one sense its understandable in that he leads by example with his scoring record but on the other hand he doesnt come across as the most vocal of players either on or off the pitch. I think he is Egypts captain though so maybe he is different once he has the armband on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

This is somewhat true but we can also play like shít while he's on the pitch, just look at the Fulham performance last week.

Yeah I remember you commenting that during the Fulham game, it was almost as if you were waiting for Hendo to play poor so you could say it, you've been waiting a while in fairness.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Kind of funny but I wouldnt have picked Salah as captain material. In one sense its understandable in that he leads by example with his scoring record but on the other hand he doesnt come across as the most vocal of players either on or off the pitch. I think he is Egypts captain though so maybe he is different once he has the armband on.

he's practically the King of Egypt. I don't think not making him captain was an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Personally, I don't believe any of the front 3 should be captain. There only job on that pitch, bar the odd press here or there, is to put that ball in the net.

Plus, look at the amount of captains we have on the team, Hendo, VVD, Gini, Robbo (don't believe Trent has the temperament for it at the moment)

Does Mo know that Madrid not only can’t afford him, but probably have him as 3rd on their list of priorities behind Mbappe and Haaland, potentially even behind Pogba and Sancho.

And Barcelona can’t afford him.

I’d be shocked if either went near him. It’s not as if he’s 23/24 either.

He didn’t bring up those two specific clubs, the journalist did.

Though Barca are perhaps not as unlikely as you say... if Messi does leave, that’s an absolute fortune freed up.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He didn’t bring up those two specific clubs, the journalist did.

Though Barca are perhaps not as unlikely as you say... if Messi does leave, that’s an absolute fortune freed up.

It's a fortune freed up alright in wages.

They still wouldn't be able to come up with £150m Liverpool would want and with it being Barca John W would want it in one lump sum payment and Edwards would add in a lot of other clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Salah's not saying he should be captain, he just said he thought he'd be given the armband in a game in which he was one of like 3 senior players actually getting a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I thought Klopp auto gave the captaincy to the most senior player anyway?

• Advertisement

Shouldn't Origi have been captain then if it was the most senior serving player after the first 4 captain's don't play going by Klopp's rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement