Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Klopp made the young Liverpool lad who has been world class, the captain in a nothing game. Its petty for Salah to even mention this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He was the highest payed footballer in the UK last year, give him an improved contract but it's not as if he is poorly paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

rob316 wrote: »
    Klopp made the young Liverpool lad who has been world class, the captain in a nothing game. Its petty for Salah to even mention this.

Salah was asked a question and gave an honest answer - that's usually a mistake in these times of perma-outrage.

It's great he cares so much that the captaincy means a lot to him.

It's obvious from the full interview transcript that he wasn't throwing his toys out of the pram and it's typical of today's social-media bolloxology that selective quotations are being used to generate clicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bobby setting records as well.
    100 - With two goals and an assist against Crystal Palace on Saturday, Roberto Firmino reached 100 goal involvements in the Premier League (62 goals & 38 assists), the first Brazilian to reach this total. Slick.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1341037509501960193?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I thought Klopp auto gave the captaincy to the most senior player anyway?

He did that in his first couple of seasons when Millie & Hendo didn't play, hence a wantaway Coutinho getting the armband a couple of times in his last half season. After that he asked the players to pick a third and fourth captain - Virgil and Wijnaldum were selected I believe - so he obviously puts more thought into it now.

It's a non-story.

Salah may indeed leave in the next two seasons, but it'll be nothing to do with not being made captain in a dead rubber CL game. If he does it'll be because of two factors coinciding for a mutually beneficial arrangement to be reached:

1) Liverpool don't want to have multiple key players hitting 32/33 at the same time a few years up the line, and sensibly prefer to cash in and replace a couple before they hit 30 rather than change 6 or 7 players in a short period of time. This is undoubtedly a factor with Wijnaldum's contract situation too. The sticking point is reportedly the length of the deal.

2) Salah and his advisors have (or at least had) a desire to turn him into a global marketing icon a la Ronaldo and want him to play for one of the big two in Spain to help achieve this. This caused them to unofficially approach Real Madrid during Salah's first season here and were told the deal was untenable financially at the time. 3 years on, one suspects the ship has sailed on this and Real will channel all their efforts (and incursion of debt) into landing Mbappe. Whilst Barca will probably spend £90m on some magic beans. Nonetheless it's not out of the question that interest could rematerialise, especially if RM fail to land Mbappe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If RM hear Barcelona are buying maguc beans they'll want in on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

This is somewhat true but we can also play like shít while he's on the pitch, just look at the Fulham performance last week.

He had played against Ajax, Wolves and Middyland in the 12 days previous to that dead Fulham performance, I guess he was hoping for 1 handy day at the office and he looked leggy. Turns out he is human!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It's a fortune freed up alright in wages.

They still wouldn't be able to come up with £150m Liverpool would want and with it being Barca John W would want it in one lump sum payment and Edwards would add in a lot of other clause.

Barcelona also need to cut their wages so even when Messi leaves, while it does free up his wages, that savings will probably not be replaced as they are in serious financial trouble. They will probably not sign anyone on high contracts as there are still players on inflated wages and they will not want to add more to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Firmino has just over taking two big names in Torres and Suarez this past week when it comes to goals scored for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Mo is desperate for a balon dor ,if he stays with us and continues his form it will happen.. it may not in a different team/system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

See this is the nonsense of it all Salah was asked what he thought when he wasn't captain,
    So of course he was going to say he was disappointed what kind of player would say I didn't want it?

Plus like everyone else Mo knows what it means to the club to have a scouse captain,

Isn't it crazy that these days when Liverpool are deep into injury crisis & star players unhappy that there still top of the leauge having not played any where near our best and in the last 16 of the champions league,
    Unreal how far Jurgen has brough this club

He truly woke a sleeping giant

See this is the nonsense of it all Salah was asked what he thought when he wasn't captain,
    So of course he was going to say he was disappointed what kind of player would say I didn't want it?

Plus like everyone else Mo knows what it means to the club to have a scouse captain,

It's a storm in a teacup tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I get the impression that Origi will be leaving the club soon.

Fitz* wrote: »

Ye has to be this window he looks genuinely unhappy whenever he is involved,

I wonder if he goes will we replace him or just use Taki, Jota and Ox to supplement the front 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fitz* wrote: »

Yeah, that Wolves link looks the best for all parties. Would be a good option for them as a classic centre forward, his natural role - and something they're crying out for with Jiminez out.

Not sure we'll replace him... I think not really, in that he didn't fit the system anyway, was there more as a wild card. I'd say it's more likely we'll take a gamble on some highly rated 16 or 17 year old CF or something, rather than buying a ready made senior lad.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, that Wolves link looks the best for all parties. Would be a good option for them as a classic centre forward, his natural role - and something they're crying out for with Jiminez out.

Not sure we'll replace him... I think not really, in that he didn't fit the system anyway, was there more as a wild card. I'd say it's more likely we'll take a gamble on some highly rated 16 or 17 year old CF or something, rather than buying a ready made senior lad.

I don't think he will be replaced If Klopp wants a classic center forward I can see him using Glatzel if he's fit again.

Origi out Weghorst in, we need difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

I agree on Origi leaving in Jan....but I think it'll be loan to buy in summer.

Can't see him being replaced either...Jota & Minamino are on the books now.

Plus priority must be a top centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Origi out Weghorst in, we need difference.

I'm not sure we do need difference though - Origi is difference, but when he plays, he's forced to shoehorn his game into our standard style. Brewster was let go because he's a difference too.

I'd say if we were to bring in another forward - which im pretty sure we won't - it would be someone who fits the current style as a Bobby fill-in... someone who brings other players into the game, is clever enough to vacate space for runners, and can also finish in the box.

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »
    I agree on Origi leaving in Jan....but I think it'll be loan to buy in summer.

Can't see him being replaced either...Jota & Minamino are on the books now.

Plus priority must be a top centre half.

Maybe with could get an old schooler like Gary Doherty to do both :D

I wouldn't let him leave in Jan unless someone else is coming in. We've been caught short already with Lovern leaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,537 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The rumour today is one-time Swansea reject Renato Sanches for 20m. He's apparently been tearing it up at Lille this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It could end up being another Coutinho-VVD type window where an attacker leaves and a CB comes in.

With Salah, Mane, Firmino firing and Taki & Ox currently fit and Shaqiri & Jota to come back, you would think there should be enough to see us through the rest of the season.

retalivity wrote: »
    The rumour today is one-time Swansea reject Renato Sanches for 20m. He's apparently been tearing it up at Lille this season

Didn't Munich pay €80m or something crazy like that for him when he was 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Tell you what he has had some moments all the same! Good luck to him I hope he makes it as a regular somewhere

Countino for the bullet at Barca, the 1/4 of a million a week wage is taking it's toil. Want him got in JAN at a knockdown price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

retalivity wrote: »

Lille will listen to offers as apparently he has a habit of picking up little muscle injuries and niggles.

Both the Liverpool midfield and the Liverpool treatment table are sufficiently manned at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Just reading about the French football television deal fiasco, completely missed it.

I'd say there could be a good few bargains out of there in the coming months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,537 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Didn't Munich pay €80m or something crazy like that for him when he was 18.

€35m, then lille shelled out €25m after he hardly played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

plibige wrote: »
    Just reading about the French football television deal fiasco, completely missed it.

I'd say there could be a good few bargains out of there in the coming months

So you’re saying #Mbappé2021 is officially on?

If we all start knitting now, the scarves will be ready for the height of summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I dont know why people are looking for replacements for Mo - If he did leave I have no doubt Jota (who is only 24) will fill his boots day in day out starting every game. I think Jota is so good he could break every salah record in half the time - and you still have shaq, Mini, Ox.

Genuinely would not be worried if salah left in the morning (if jota was fit)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

ardinn wrote: »
    I dont know why people are looking for replacements for Mo - If he did leave I have no doubt Jota (who is only 24) will fill his boots day in day out starting every game. I think Jota is so good he could break every salah record in half the time - and you still have shaq, Mini, Ox.

Ah c'mon now, I'd be willing to go as far as saying Mo has been our MVP this season. He'd be a serious loss. I get people feel the need to denigrate him because he said something slightly out of school, but it's out of order to someone who is still demonstrating his class day in and day out for us.

And mentioning Ox as someone who can contribute to filling Mo's potential void....I think you're taking the piss here. :pac:

People seriously under estimate how Dame good Mo is
    The fella is absolutely lethal, if he played for Madrid or Barcelona at the same lelve he does for us he'd be a shoe in for World player of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

People seriously under estimate how Dame good Mo is
    The fella is absolutely lethal, if he played for Madrid or Barcelona at the same lelve he does for us he'd be a shoe in for World player of the year

Yeah, a lot of nonsense being talked about Mo.
    Type of player you look at in someone else's team and think " imagine having him here"

He can frustrate at times but he is pure class.
    Nobody replaces him at the moment. He is going to have some season...he is ours and he is staying....have I made myself clear lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

At this point I honestly believe Salah is the most underrated player in LFC history, some fans seem almost indifferent towards his utterly ridiculous numbers and the part he played in elevating the team to the heights they are at now. I swear, I reckon he would get more recognition if he was part of a Liverpool team that won nothing. I can confidently say that in the 27 years I have been watching Liverpool, only Gerrard has been better.

We WILL miss him when he is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm not sure what the issue is with Mo. Maybe it's because he failed under Mourinho and none of us can accept he really is this good. I thought we paid a lot of money for him at the time. When he was scoring all the goals I kept expecting the streak to stop but it didn't.
    I'm totally biased about him. Even when he's getting criticised on here during games I'm not seeing it. He never gives up, constantly trying to do things and always a threat.
    There was a game in Europe a few years ago where he was getting panned and then he scored a wonderful goal from a really tight angle, typical Mo.
    The game last weekend really showed how good the front three are in terms of movement and space, they all contribute, it's just when they don't score the angst happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Don't understand how some people still underrate Mo, the amount of criticism he gets is unreal, yet, he delivers more often than not, even when not playing well, he is by far the most important of the front 3 and if he does go he'll be the most difficult to replace. I think both Mane and Firmino are great players, but, are more easily replaced. It's only when Mo is gone that he'll really be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't know where any of this is even coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

ardinn wrote: »

Out of your mind!

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »

This sentiment has been slowly building for a while now and it gets slightly worse at every imagined slight against Mane. It makes no ****ing sense whatsoever and is by far the biggest downside to our recent success.

Mo isn't underestimated is he? He's been consistently brilliant every season. Monster of a player. His stats are incredible.

Grayditch wrote: »

Boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the issue is with Mo. Maybe it's because he failed under Mourinho and none of us can accept he really is this good. I thought we paid a lot of money for him at the time. When he was scoring all the goals I kept expecting the streak to stop but it didn't.
    I'm totally biased about him. Even when he's getting criticised on here during games I'm not seeing it. He never gives up, constantly trying to do things and always a threat.
    There was a game in Europe a few years ago where he was getting panned and then he scored a wonderful goal from a really tight angle, typical Mo.
    The game last weekend really showed how good the front three are in terms of movement and space, they all contribute, it's just when they don't score the angst happens.

I think people look back with rose-tinted glasses at other great players' stats and highlights reels and compare those to what Salah does for the entire 90 minutes every game. It's not a fair comparison... nobody see's or remembers the times when Maradona skied a shot into the stand, or when Pele played a simple pass out for a throw, or even more locally/recently when Rush or Fowler would take a fresh-air shot. Mo is current so we're seeing the not so glamorous stuff as well as his world-class every week. In years to come, people will look back on his stats and will just say "wow".... and then the next great player will be negatively compared to the Legend of Salah and the cycle will continue...

I'm sure Rushie had his critics back in the day, too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mo's worse season he shared the golden boot. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I know there's been loads of posts defending Mo but I've obviously missed all the posts saying he's sh;te. :confused:

I honestly don't know any fans critical of Salah.

Who are these people, and where do they frequent? Anti vaxxers? :pac:

sweetie wrote: »
    Mo's worse season he shared the golden boot. Unreal.

Which is also the season he scored the winner in the Champions League final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We've seen players rack up big numbers as in the box strikers, but what Salah has done from a wide forward position is special, there isn't many do that.

He probably doesn't get the praise he deserves as he is in a great team, there is just so many players who are the best in the world in their respective positions. I couldn't tell you who my favorite player is in the squad, its impossible to pick.

Players like Suarez, Gerrard, Torres stood out and got our plaudits and held up high as they were surrounded by mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

We've seen players rack up big numbers as in the box strikers, but what Salah has done from a wide forward position is special, there isn't many do that.

He probably doesn't get the praise he deserves as he is in a great team, there is just so many players who are the best in the world in their respective positions. I couldn't tell you who my favorite player is in the squad, its impossible to pick.

Players like Suarez, Gerrard, Torres stood out and got our plaudits and held up high as they were surrounded by mediocrity.

Exactly, there's world class all over this team. All offer so many different things, impossible to pick a favourite player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement