Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

fyfe79 wrote: »

I'm sure Rushie had his critics back in the day, too!

We were told at the time he couldn’t pass, couldn’t score with his head and couldn’t score from more than 10 yards out which was of course all a load of bollyx.

Salah does something else great players do when he’s having a bad day; he distracts the backs. They know he’s capable of anything from nothing so by being occupied with Mo, they can’t concentrate on other players as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

KevRossi wrote: »
    We were told at the time he couldn’t pass, couldn’t score with his head and couldn’t score from more than 10 yards out which was of course all a load of bollyx.

Salad does something else great players do when he’s having a bad day; he distracts the backs. They know he’s capable of anything from nothing so by being occupied with Mo, they can’t concentrate on other players as much.

You don’t win friends with salad

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭KevRossi

brevity wrote: »
    You don’t win friends with salad

Apologies to the great one. Predictive can be a bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

6 wrote: »
    It's a storm in a teacup tbh.
    There is no tea cup in which to have a storm!

Mohamed Salah Liverpool future made clearer as new translation of Aboutrika quotes emerges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I honestly don't know any fans critical of Salah.

Who are these people, and where do they frequent? Anti vaxxers? :pac:

You do see it on some Liverpool forums. This is stuff I've read about Salah from Liverpool fans since his first season:

His head is turned by Real Madrid and he isn't playing well.
    Too greedy.
    Disappears out of games. Some fellow emailed F365.com to say "he's so bad sometimes it's unreal".
    Seemed subdued in his celebrations when he scored a goal. Must want out.
    Doesn't get on with Mane.
    Made a face when taken off a few weeks ago.
    Apparently didn't celebrate a goal that was scored after he was subbed (even though he did).
    If we have to sell somebody it should be him etc. etc.

Was in a live match chat for the Palace game and some git was saying Mane & Salah shouldn't play together ever again cos we were 'more balanced' with just one of them (the implication being Mane who started). He STFUd when Salah came on and scored twice.

Same people who fall over each other to be the first to say they don't want Gerrard as manager whenever that statement can be tangentally shoehorned into a conversation.

I just find it really weird basically. I wonder it is a defense mechanism because we got used to having our best attackers leave and are expecting Mo to do the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Some of the official PL accounts and likewise stat accounts like Sqwaka etc always post accumulated stats from season gone. Goals, assists, chances created etc Things like PEA or Kane scoring goals, goals in a calendar year, now it's Bruno goals etc. Hyping up players individual efforts. You get the drift.

It's always been 'Only Mo Salah has more' for everything they post.

He is underrated definitely. Top scorer in the league, again this season so far, and nobody bats an eyelid. Incredible player. Incredible output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

the problem is that the vast majority of people don't understand anything about football and the problem is compounded by each and everyone of these idiots having 24/7 access to social media platforms to spout rubbish.

Anyone who doesn't see pretty much every single squad member we have as being nothing short of elite I am not listening to. The club is in such ridiculously good shape from top to bottom I personally am just loving every single minute of it because I am old enough to know that nothing lasts forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyone who doubts this man would want their head examined

https://twitter.com/LFCVine/status/1340961418074533888?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I know there's been loads of posts defending Mo but I've obviously missed all the posts saying he's sh;te. :confused:

this is the Liverpool way, we create the drama, then rail against it and heaven help anyone from the outside who may have an opinion one way or the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wonder are we eyeing any players in Ligue 1, bar PSG every club is in massive financial trouble and will have to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

All these people who post negative comments about salah all they ar doing is looking for reassurance from others because they know how important he is and don't want him to leave, that's all it is really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I think people look back with rose-tinted glasses at other great players' stats and highlights reels and compare those to what Salah does for the entire 90 minutes every game. It's not a fair comparison... nobody see's or remembers the times when Maradona skied a shot into the stand, or when Pele played a simple pass out for a throw, or even more locally/recently when Rush or Fowler would take a fresh-air shot. Mo is current so we're seeing the not so glamorous stuff as well as his world-class every week. In years to come, people will look back on his stats and will just say "wow".... and then the next great player will be negatively compared to the Legend of Salah and the cycle will continue...

I'm sure Rushie had his critics back in the day, too!

I think this post is on the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Players are written off after the first 10 minutes of games these days if they misplace a pass or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Players are written off after the first 10 minutes of games these days if they misplace a pass or two.

Sometimes this is appropriate though, I wrote Moreno off after 10 minutes and yet somehow the ****er hung around for 5 more years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I honestly don't know any fans critical of Salah.

Who are these people, and where do they frequent? Anti vaxxers? :pac:

As recently as last season we'd have lads in this thread calling him "pathetic" every time they perceived him to have made an incorrect decision on the pitch. He gets held to such a higher standard than the rest.

If Mane storms off the pitch because Salah didn't pass to him.....it's because Salah's greedy.

If Salah storms off the pitch because Mane didn't pass to him.....it's because Salah's greedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'm convinced, with no evidence, that we are the most trolled club in the world. I reckon there's tonnes of people, from all parts of the world that just love poking the bear. It's always my go to when I see a 'fan' say something extremely harsh against this team.

I reckon it silly teens, waster adults, crappy website writers and owners and many more.

Like there used to be so many computer viruses that just wrecked your computer with no obvious benefit for the creator. Trolling football, and specifically Liverpool has way more feedback for the creator.

I'm convinced, with no evidence, that we are the most trolled club in the world. I reckon there's tonnes of people, from all parts of the world that just love poking the bear. It's always my go to when I see a 'fan' say something extremely harsh against this team.

I reckon it silly teens, waster adults, crappy website writers and owners and many more.

Like there used to be so many computer viruses that just wrecked your computer with no obvious benefit for the creator. Trolling football, and specifically Liverpool has way more feedback for the creator.

How many set up accounts on Boards alone and posted in this thread just pretending to be Liverpool fans and wind up posters here over the last couple of years alone, It did go quiet on that front for a bit when we won the title though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It feels so weird to have a full week between games, feels like it's about time for our next one but we're still five days away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Hmmm, not sure about this. With such a massive fanbase, you're inevitably going to have a fair few whoppers. It just replicates society really. Every club has them. Look at United - many of their fanbase had turned their backs on the club to follow provincial rugby teams as some form of 'I'll support them when the Glazers are gone' nonsense but they're trickling back now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

It feels so weird to have a full week between games, feels like it's about time for our next one but we're still five days away

I'm worried that the players will get rusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Ian Rush took over a year after we broke a transfer record to sign him to get into the team , and then went 9 games without a goal.
    In modern age he would have been torn apart online

mosstin wrote: »
    I'm worried that the players will get rusty.

Klopp organising a behind closed doors friendly for Christmas Eve just to keep things ticking along! :pac:

We were off becoming world champions this time last year

rob316 wrote: »
    We were off becoming world champions this time last year

I remember everyone saying Leicester were going to give a tired Liverpool the game of their lives, before they were swept aside. It wasn't the City game in November or the Utd game in January that made me believe the wait was over, it was that Leicester one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Mo Salah’s contributions against Crystal Palace now (statistically) makes him the best forward in Premier League history, averaging 0.97 g/a per game.

Just behind him is Thierry Henry with 0.96

Three games back to back in February between the 6th and the 20th against City, Leicester & Everton will go along way to showing if we will retain the title.

The first leg of the Champions League against Red Bull there as well on the 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Wonder are we eyeing any players in Ligue 1, bar PSG every club is in massive financial trouble and will have to sell.

Camavinga would be nice. Only worth a punt if Gini is off.

Don't we have to improve the ratio of 'homegrown' players in the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mbappé has 18 months left on his contract. Something has to give there, it would be a total cop out on Mbappé behalf not to try himself at the top level of football, not some league where you win it at a canter every time. Need to move for his own legacy .
    Real will always take preference over Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mbappé has 18 months left on his contract. Something has to give there, it would be a total cop out on Mbappé behalf not to try himself at the top level of football, not some league where you win it at a canter every time. Need to move for his own legacy .
    Real will always take preference over Liverpool

Yeah, was very close to joining Madrid last time he moved - think that'll happen this time. Apparently they've been actively setting aside money for him for a while. They've not gone big on a player in a while - closest was a cut price deal for Hazard, which hasn't really worked out yet. Mbappe would be the sort of statement signing they need as a club, and would probably elevate other players around the club by taking a bit of pressure off (like Hazard).

Markitron wrote: »
    I remember everyone saying Leicester were going to give a tired Liverpool the game of their lives, before they were swept aside. It wasn't the City game in November or the Utd game in January that made me believe the wait was over, it was that Leicester one.

Oh I remember this:

yXAzzNH.jpg

They deleted that in short order,

dmigsy wrote: »
    Camavinga would be nice. Only worth a punt if Gini is off.

I get the feeling that Klopp wants Gini to stay, Gini would prefer to stay, but the recruitment / analysis team don't share the same thinking and may over rule them.

There was a piece lately by one of the local journos and they were against that it's currently more likely Gini will leave on a free transfer next summer.

A few days early but...

Happy Christmas to everyone in here.

We all got the ultimate Christmas present in July so, I hope the leftovers are decent.

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Oh I remember this:

yXAzzNH.jpg

They deleted that in short order,

This can't have been real? Its like they gave their twitter login to a blue moon member.
    A few days early but...

Happy Christmas to everyone in here.

We all got the ultimate Christmas present in July so, I hope the leftovers are decent.

What are you talking about, the league win this year was last year's christmas present.

I want another one for Christmas and a CL as well, I'm worth it, I have been good.

The Liverpool podcast on the Athletic with Simon Hughes and James Pearce are saying to keep an eye on the Salah story over the coming months that the club aren’t in the position to give him an improved contract at the moment due to the lose of income over the last year.

They also make a big deal that Salah does not do interviews so there is more to it than just an interview.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, was very close to joining Madrid last time he moved - think that'll happen this time. Apparently they've been actively setting aside money for him for a while. They've not gone big on a player in a while - closest was a cut price deal for Hazard, which hasn't really worked out yet. Mbappe would be the sort of statement signing they need as a club, and would probably elevate other players around the club by taking a bit of pressure off (like Hazard).
    €160M is hardly a cut price deal.

Madrid regret that transfer now I'd imagine

• Advertisement

I was under the impression that a large chunk of that deal was tied to bonuses, bonuses which will almost certainly not be met.

I may have imagined this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Talisman wrote: »
    €160M is hardly a cut price deal.

That's only if he meets all the bonus and performance clauses, which looks unlikely. Initial deal is 89m pounds, 100m euros. Still a lot obviously, especially in the current market, but at the time it was a cut price deal in the context of Coutinho, Neymar, Dembele, Griezmann and Mbappe deals.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That's only if he meets all the bonus and performance clauses, which looks unlikely. Initial deal is 89m pounds, 100m euros. Still a lot obviously, especially in the current market, but at the time it was a cut price deal in the context of Coutinho, Neymar, Dembele, Griezmann and Mbappe deals.
    FIFA published the details of the transfer deal in September, at the time Real had paid €115M for the player. If Madrid win the league or Champions League this season then the fee for Hazard will exceed the €145M (including performance clauses) deal Barcelona agreed for Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I wouldn't be surprised to see Salah go next year. He's turning 29 along with Mane. Firmino is turning 30. Klopp is going to need to freshen up the front line. Jota is obviously one piece of that puzzle. I'd like to see the three main men stay together for one more full season, but it might not happen. If Salah does go we need to make sure we get big bucks, and reinvest it well.

With Wijnaldum, I'd love him to stay but can understand the logic of not giving him a long-term contract considering the age profile of the midfield. The club has a philosophy and it makes sense, even if it does present difficult decisions such as this one.

A player might just want a new challenge too, I always thought Salah would be the first to go anyway he just seems that more driven and cold compared to Mane or Firmino. You could see Mane and Firmino retiring at the club, they love it there.

Tusky wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Salah go next year. He's turning 29 along with Mane. Firmino is turning 30. Klopp is going to need to freshen up the front line. Jota is obviously one piece of that puzzle. I'd like to see the three main men stay together for one more full season, but it might not happen. If Salah does go we need to make sure we get big bucks, and reinvest it well.
    I don't see their age profile as a problem. They will be in their prime for the next 2 seasons at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Rumours also they want to tie him down to another contract, but if Pearce is saying what it is, it is most likely gospel, I actually thought Mane would be first to go from the front 3 if I'm being honest....

Talisman wrote: »
    I don't see their age profile as a problem. They will be in their prime for the next 2 seasons at least.

The age profile of our squad could become an issue up the line.

Virgil, Hendo, Salah, Mane, Bobby, Thiago, and Wijnaldum are all around 28-30. Fabinho isn't far behind at 27. All of those players would be considered first choice. (Matip & Shaq are 29 too, although they're not first choice).

In terms of pure player performance it's not a problem yet and you are absolutely correct to say that they'll be at their prime for another 2 seasons. I'd expect most of them to last longer than that. Virgil with the knee injury and the fact he uses recovery pace a lot is probably the most at risk of declining in ability quickly due to age. But Salah? He'll probably still bang goals in for fun at this level for at least another 4 seasons.

But if we don't do anything until players performances start to decline, we'll be left with several key players hitting 33/34 at the same time as each other and not being able to perform as well. And then they won't have resale value due to age and we'll be in the market for several big money transfers to replace them. Would you want to replace, for example: Hendo, Bobby and Mane in one window, without being able to get much if anything back because they're in their mid 30s?

Ideally you get the replacement in advance and use him as a squad player for a bit, which I think we've done with Jota. But that, again, requires money and you're constrained by how many players you can realistically have in the squad.

There's also contracts to think about. Virgil's, Hendo's and the front three's contracts all expire in 2023 I believe. You can bet that unless they actively want a move, they'll be looking for extensions, likely multi-year ones, sorted more than 12 months in advance. Which'll be before the end of next season. Then we'll be committing to paying them big wages until they're 33/34. That's part of the issue with Gini's contract, he wants a longer extension whilst the club doesn't want to be committed to paying him first team wages until he's nearly 33.

So with that being the case, it wouldn't surprise me if FSG were willing to let a big name go in the next 18 months (probably Mane or Salah), so we get a windfall from selling a player at their peak and can use that to slowly start bringing in the guys who'll replace the other big names a couple years further up the line. Personally I'd love it if they could all stay until they retire at about 37, they brought us back the league, they're living club legends, but it's not gonna work out that way.

I suppose the issue is, with the damage done to football's finances in the past year, is anyone going to come up with enough money for one of our key players for it to be worth sacrificing one of them early for a greater rebuild.

Age profile is definitely an issue. We have built our squad on selling players with a good resale value. There is no benefit in letting that front 3 age together into their 30's, they will decline and their resale value will dwindle. If Madrid or Barca want to offer 150m for him next summer and he wants to go we may have to take it and I have massive faith in the recruitment team to reinvest it well.

And if its money he wants he is right to demand more when you have rubbish like Pogba on 300k and then Aubameyang on north of 350k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lads Mo is 28 years old and as fit as a fiddle
    He doesn't drink at all and keeps in unbelievable shape he has at Least 5 years left at the top
    Its not the 90s anymore lads play well into there 30s now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement