Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

To be honest Liverpool should be looking at getting 2 cbs let alone one
    Fabhino is ahuge miss in Midfeild and Matip cant be trusted to be fit,

Huge mistake no to replace Dejan in the summer,
    Its effected our defence and midfeild badly

Liverpool going out now to buy a top class CB will be fleeced as everyone knows they need one. Getting two will be costly.

Expectations are naturally higher. We're no longer little ole Liverpool happy to fight it out for fourth, we're arguably the best team in the world.

Being content that those around us dropped points was the loser mentality we had a few years ago. We should now, quite rightly, be thinking "****, there goes a chance to put more distance between ourselves and those behind."
    To be honest Liverpool should be looking at getting 2 cbs let alone one
    Fabhino is ahuge miss in Midfeild and Matip cant be trusted to be fit,

This is a good point. Fabinho has done very well at CB but we need him back in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Mad how everyone thinks buying a good centre half is easy and needs to be done ASAP. I agree it needs to happen but getting one of the required standard isn't so easy. How many efforts did pep have at it and it still up for debate if he's got it right? United spent laughable amounts on Maguire.

It is weird how we can't keep Matip fit though and Lovren was the same. Every 6 games without fail he got injured himself yet has been bullet proof for Zenit I think. Kieta and Shaqiri also, never had injury trouble as frequently as they do with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Expectations are naturally higher. We're no longer little ole Liverpool happy to fight it out for fourth, we're arguably the best team in the world.

Being content that those around us dropped points was the loser mentality we had a few years ago. We should now, quite rightly, be thinking "****, there goes a chance to put more distance between ourselves and those behind."

This is a good point. Fabinho has done very well at CB but we need him back in the middle.

Fabinho is highly unlikely to play in midfield again this season, he's our first CB now and that won't change even if we do sign 2 new CBs as they will need time to settle in at the club especially if they haven't played in premier league before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Rumours flying around that the Everton match will be postponed tonight due to a Covid outbreak in the City squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Rumours flying around that the Everton match will be postponed tonight due to a Covid outbreak in the City squad.

Officially off already

Might benefit us. City will have to fit these games into an already compacted season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

6 wrote: »
    Might benefit us. City will have to fit these games into an already compacted season.

Could easily happen us at some stage as well,or a team we are due to play,it really is a lottery at this stage

Could easily happen us at some stage as well,or a team we are due to play,it really is a lottery at this stage

Absolutely, but City already have a game in hand to play, plus a league cup semi. This is now another extra game to squeeze in somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Early move for Alaba? I'd imagine his age and wage demands would give it no chance though. Would be a huge addition due to his versatility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Alaba would be perfect, but he probably wants a fortune.

He is gonna end up in Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

City / Everton called off due to Covid outbreak in the City camp.

City players contracted it after the Newcastle game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This season could be won with 60 something points. Nuts . Need some wins before we get to the half way point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Vicxas wrote: »

Are Everton to be given the walkover and the points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Thidp wrote: »
    Alaba would be perfect, but he probably wants a fortune.

He is gonna end up in Madrid.

Munich are offering him £290k a week and he wants more.

His agent also wants €20m in fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Are Everton to be given the walkover and the points?

Looks like its just postponed

rob316 wrote: »
    Early move for Alaba? I'd imagine his age and wage demands would give it no chance though. Would be a huge addition due to his versatility.

Age? If he joined next June he'd be 28, about to turn 29 few days later. Not old at all, potential to sign a 4 year deal, and still be a asset to sell 3 years into that deal at big money.

Would be a great signing, could cost nothing in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

City are going to have to play Tuesday, Thursday Sunday at the end of the year

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Yesterday’s match was not a disaster. Some perspective is needed.

We’re going to win another league or 2 lads. We’re going to win more silverware. We are the Champions. And we are Liverpool.

You’ll Never Walk Alone.

Good Luck with everything. Stay positive, keep up the fight.

You’ll Never Walk Alone

• Advertisement

Get well soon Blondie.

Vicxas wrote: »

Players had it before the Newcastle game as Walker and Jesus was announced has having it on Christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I'd be surprised if Alaba fits the CB profile. He's a fine player but he's not tall / aerially dominant enough at 5'10" to play CB for Liverpool. His salary and age would go against him too as mentioned already. From the Bundesliga, Tah, Klosterman or Konate would fit the profile better.

As a stop-gap, Boateng would be a better option. His contract is up in the summer too. Bayern would have Liverpool over a barrel in any negotiation there so unlikely I'd say.

Who knows though. No-one saw Jota coming so hopefully there'll be a similar signing pulled off in the next few days.

Munich are offering him £290k a week and he wants more.

His agent also wants €20m in fees.

Ya like I thought it's a non-runner and far from a "free transfer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Tusky wrote: »
    That was extremely stupid. Don’t know what Trent was thinking.

Wasn't there some Spaniard who did something similarly stupid with a corner at the end of a match?;)

Enzokk wrote: »
    Anybody had a look at City's fixtures for the rest of the year? They still have one match to make up and have a packed fixture list. If they keep progressing in the cups like they did last year, well I don't know how they are going to fit it all in.

If they lose in the next round of all the Cups, then they have 29 more matches to play this year. I have it there are 39 possible open slots they can fit those matches into. Of those 39 possible slots, 28 has been taken by currently arranged fixtures and one still needs to be arranged, vs Villa. If they progress in the cup competitions it takes away one (or two in the CL) slots and adds matches to their schedule.

The horror scenario is them progressing to the same stages as they did last year in the EFL Cup, FA Cup and CL. That means they will have to rearrange 4 matches in total and I see 7 open midweek slots including the 2 slots for the CL semi-finals. If they make to the CL semi-finals, then there is 5 open slots for 4 matches. If they do that it means they will have played twice a week from the 21st November and only had one midweek off until the end of the season. Somehow I don't see City keeping it up in the league if they progress in the cup competitions this year.

So referring to my earlier post, this means they have 28 more matches to play and 37 open slots available to them. The further they progress in the EFL Cup or CL means more matches and less days to fit them into. If their match today was postponed then the next one could easily be as well on the 3rd as well, depending on how bad the outbreak in the squad is.

So there are 9 slots open, but these could disappear quickly. I for one want to see how a team fares having to play 5 matches in the last 2 weeks, that would be some spectacle at the end of the year.

Amazing that is only the second time a match has been postponed so far, too bad it happened at the busiest time of the year though. Even if they can play against Chelsea in 6 days time, they would have had no preparation for the match at all as their players will have had to stay away from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Wasn't there some Spaniard who did something similarly stupid with a corner at the end of a match?;)

So referring to my earlier post, this means they have 28 more matches to play and 37 open slots available to them. The further they progress in the EFL Cup or CL means more matches and less days to fit them into. If their match today was postponed then the next one could easily be as well on the 3rd as well, depending on how bad the outbreak in the squad is.

So there are 9 slots open, but these could disappear quickly. I for one want to see how a team fares having to play 5 matches in the last 2 weeks, that would be some spectacle at the end of the year.

Amazing that is only the second time a match has been postponed so far, too bad it happened at the busiest time of the year though. Even if they can play against Chelsea in 6 days time, they would have had no preparation for the match at all as their players will have had to stay away from each other.

Playing regularly every 3/4 days can be a benefit, we've seen it ourselves we tend to play better when we play more regularly than having a week off as we saw with the WBA game. The fallout for City really depends on what players are affected and how long it takes them to recover, as we've seen Salah didn't seem to be affected much, but, some of the Newcastle players are still struggling a few weeks later.

• Advertisement

Since the games in hand are against teams not in Europe they could use those split in the round of 16 legs to get the games in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Players had it before the Newcastle game as Walker and Jesus was announced has having it on Christmas day

The club are blaming it on an over night stay in London last week. Those Newcastle players all need fresh tests before they play us!

Where's the null and void crowd!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Fabinho is highly unlikely to play in midfield again this season, he's our first CB now and that won't change even if we do sign 2 new CBs as they will need time to settle in at the club especially if they haven't played in premier league before.

If a new CB of a decent standard comes in, and Matip is fit, those 2 will play together and Fab will move into midfield. He'll still def be a regular at CB too though, to give Matip breaks. But if we had options at CB, he's vital to get into midfield - we've missed him so much there, especially covering space as we push forward in those games against Brighton, West Brom, Fulham etc.

........ I for one want to see how a team fares having to play 5 matches in the last 2 weeks, that would be some spectacle at the end of the year.

Who knows what the pandemic will bring for 2021..... We could have an outbreak ourselves. The UK strain might go rampant.

Augeo wrote: »
    Who knows what the pandemic will bring for 2021..... We could have an outbreak ourselves. The UK strain might go rampant.

It's already been through a fair few of the lads as it is - Mo, Mane, Tsimikas, Thiago, Naby, Shaqiri and Trent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hoping Klopp goes into the transfer market and the analytics and scouting team pulls a rabbit out of a hat because its really needed now. Id be nervous for our CL chances without a pair of strong CBS.

I think If Thiago is back to full fitness Fab will remain at CB till the end of the season even if we do sign a CB next month something I still think might not happen.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It's already been through a fair few of the lads as it is - Mo, Mane, Tsimikas, Thiago, Naby, Shaqiri and Trent.

I mean an outbreak where we've postponed matches like today's incident / outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If a new CB of a decent standard comes in, and Matip is fit, those 2 will play together and Fab will move into midfield. He'll still def be a regular at CB too though, to give Matip breaks. But if we had options at CB, he's vital to get into midfield - we've missed him so much there, especially covering space as we push forward in those games against Brighton, West Brom, Fulham etc.

Fab will need resting aswell. Dont think we will see him in midfield this season. When enough fit and the game suits I think he will be rested not moved to midfield

Id be fine with Fab at CB for the remainder of the season, its not ideal but he is top class in that position and the return of Thiago will bolster the midfield. But I dont think its a good idea going into big PL and CL games with Philips beside him, a couple of high profile mistakes could really effect a young lads career.

Heres hoping Klopp pulls a rabbit out of a hat and quick. I wonder would he consider Sven Bendar at Bayer Leverkusen, he used to play for Klopp at Dortmund and has now moved from midfield to being a CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Id be fine with Fab at CB for the remainder of the season, its not ideal but he is top class in that position and the return of Thiago will bolster the midfield. But I dont think its a good idea going into big PL and CL games with Philips beside him, a couple of high profile mistakes could really effect a young lads career.

Heres hoping Klopp pulls a rabbit out of a hat and quick. I wonder would he consider Sven Bendar at Bayer Leverkusen, he used to play for Klopp at Dortmund and has now moved from midfield to being a CB.

Sven Bender is retiring at the end of the season. We should have been looking at centre halves since Van Dijk got injured & even moreso when Gomez got injured 6 or 7 weeks ago.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Sven Bender is retiring at the end of the season. We should have been looking at centre halves since Van Dijk got injured & even moreso when Gomez got injured 6 or 7 weeks ago.

By all accounts they've been looking at CB's for the past year. Even with everyone fit we're still short 1 - were linked with a tonne over the summer, but the right deal didn't come around. Hopefully they'll be able to revisit one of the ones that didn't come off and get it over the line.

I'm sure they were looking for a lovren replacement and are still doing so but the recruitment policy is both selective & effective. No point buying for the sake of it when you are a CL & PL title challenging team.
    Hopefully there's someone in the pipeline.

Top class CB’s right now are harder to find than Hen’s teeth.

Eh that was easy to find

92c0a49bb7605a204fc55825a0af44a6710b7cb0.jpeg

• Advertisement

Two good results for us today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Kabak shouldnt be that difficult to get of we are actually after him
    Shalke badly need the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

There must be one in France. Should be able to pick someone up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It is a complete failure by the manager , the board and Edwards if we don't have a player signed on the 1st of January
    Loren was sold in the summer and we never bought a back up
    VVD out for the season
    Gomez out for most of the season
    Matip out for another 6 weeks

If we don't buy a CB and maybe loan another then this is an absolute farce when we are nearly certain to win the league and the champions league of we do

Ajax out of the champions league. They have a tasty CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Bowlardo wrote: »
    It is a complete failure by the manager , the board and Edwards if we don't have a player signed on the 1st of January
    VVD out for the season

If we don't buy a CB and maybe loan another then this is an absolute farce when we are nearly certain to win the league and the champions league of we do

Its bizzare ones not lined up to walk in the training grpund on the first of January as you said VVD and Gomez long term and could take til lthe end of next calender year to see both fully fit, look Laporte at City still not himself.

Matip made of Weetabix, should be moved on in the summer

Surely a CB should be wrapped up ready for the 1st

Another two draws. Liverpool have gotten so many Christmas Gifts in this season of goodwill .

Bowlardo wrote: »
    VVD out for the season

The problem now is Klopp and Edwards have had sustained success in the transfer market by avoiding panic buys and they'll be reluctant to depart from that formula thats served us so well. If the right person isnt available at the right price I wouldnt be surprised if they dont buy at all. Ultimately what they'll be trying to do is bring in VVDs long term replacement a year or more earlier than planned and thats not an easy undertaking in January. If its a choice between a sticking plaster transfer or none at all they are more likely to stay out of the market and wait for their no.1 target to become available.

If Klopp feels confident in Thaigos fitness and the right target is not available he might even be thinking Hendo can do a job at CB.

Another two draws. Liverpool have gotten so many Christmas Gifts in this season of goodwill .

Chelsea, Leicester's, spurs and United aren't league challengers. Don't see much in these results except we aren't extending a gap we should be running away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

We should be signing a centre half that we plan to partner with vvd in the medium term once he is back. Gomez is too injury probe to be considered first choice. If we have a new cb with vvd as first choice, then gomez, Matip and Fab become our backups. Its not doing Williams or Phillips any good to be in the team competing at the business end if they are not ready.

Who that player is, who knows? Jota came out of left field in the beginning of the season, hopefully there is another ace up the sleeve. If we have identified the player but wanted to wait for the summer, then we need to bring it forward to January even if we gave to pay a premium.

• Advertisement

Buy a centre back, get thiago on the pitch, get Jota back, win 10 in a row and put this to bed. We are capable of so much better than this, throwing away points to vastly inferior teams. It's a mentality thing because our performances against the top sides have been excellent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement