Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Roots 2020 wrote: »
    Hopefully Utd draw with Villa. Probably best for us.

No way. Heart and head both say a Villa win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

tinpib wrote: »
    No way. Heart and head both say a Villa win.

They're a point behind us if they win their game in hand then? You don't fear them (loathe them :D ) like you do Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Botman

Says he's a Liverpool player

It also says his agent is James Pearce :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Roots 2020

Villa have Jack Grealish... and that lowers them in my book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Origi out to pay for Botman in maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Massive game Monday
    I saidnit before Newcastle game but i think we will go into the Unoted game begind them in the table

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Massive game Monday
    I saidnit before Newcastle game but i think we will go into the Unoted game begind them in the table

If we do, then we do. It's not really that big a deal at the start of January.

It's a long season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Villa could win this yet. No matter what we'll still be top at the end of the day .

A fantastic interview with Hendo in the Guardian

Jordan Henderson: 'I was in a very dark place. It made me a lot stronger'

At the end of a dark year like no other, and the start of a new one that will complete a decade of his life at Liverpool, Jordan Henderson is in a mood to pause and reflect. The Liverpool captain has family and friends who work for the NHS on the Covid-19 frontline. Sometimes they have held the phones and tablets which offer the only way for people who are dying to say goodbye to those they love.

His father, whom the NHS helped to save during a long battle against cancer, has been shielding and Henderson did not see much of him last year. This helps to explain why he started and drove the crisis fund that raised millions of pounds from Premier League footballers for the NHS..........

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/01/jordan-henderson-liverpool-i-was-in-a-very-dark-place-it-made-me-a-lot-stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Botman

Says he's a Liverpool player

Also says he's 5 years old and is 6'11" tall. Someone taking the plss I think.

537953.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Of course that Ollie Watkins looks liked the 2nd coming of Shearer against us and tonight he's got the first touch of a trampoline and couldn't score in a brothel.

Just looked at the table though and it struck me, we're still top of the league the Mighty Reds the league champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've seen enough of united that they are there for the taking at anfield. Everything good they do comes through fernandes, the full backs are a weak spot. They are playing out of their skin, we know we can go levels above our current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Massive game Monday

You say every possible negative outcome. A stopped clock and all that.

Southampton and Utd are both in good nick. But this Liverpool team have shown time and again that they have the cojones for the big games.

My biggest concern is that we see a CB signed in the next few days who can go straight into the side. Williams isn't ready and Phillips never will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

rob316 wrote: »
    I've seen enough of united that they are there for the taking at anfield. Everything good they do comes through fernandes, the full backs are a weak spot. They are playing out of their skin, we know we can go levels above our current form.

We can and we have to, especially in that game. Can't leave anything down to a ref or a VAR to give them a debatable decision.

I'm not arsed about them to be honest, if we do our job as well as we can over the next 5 months them be nowhere near us. That's a big if based on current form though. We need to sort our own house out, the rest then takes care of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

EqrNGAFXEAIukH3?format=jpg&name=medium

Mane refuses to go down when fouled as he knows he's not the one taking the penalty, he'd rather stay up and try score himself.
    Something wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

United are getting every decision going this season. While I think it's fair to say we've been on the very worst side of VAR. As the statistics confirm. I wouldn't bet on this levelling out over the second half of the season personally.

On the plus side we've been very good in the big games generally (not so much the smaller ones) and the next two are pretty big now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mane refuses to go down when fouled as he knows he's not the one taking the penalty, he'd rather stay up and try score himself.
    Something wrong there.

That's quite a conclusion to jump to.

If our lads aren't relishing a title race with United they're in the wrong game. They will be though, I've no doubts about that. Bring it on I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

.G. wrote: »
    If our lads aren't relishing a title race with United they're in the wrong game. They will be though, I've no doubts about that. Bring it on I say.

If we win the title on goal difference over United, it might become my favourite sporting memory real quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

.G. wrote: »

If our lads are not up for a title race then there in the wrong game. We can not be getting sidetracked on United atm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Something wrong there.

Thats a big leap there. Even Sarah has done that they just think they can score

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That's quite a conclusion to jump to.

Falling behind on goals, that Goal Keeper incident was him trying to get to the ball, even though he was dragged and wrapped up by keeper. His refusal to go down is a means to an end, to get there and score himself.
    But go down and he won't be taking penalty

Not cool. Team needs him to buy these honest fouls on him. Tired of him staying up no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

United are getting every decision going this season. While I think it's fair to say we've been on the very worst side of VAR. As the statistics confirm. I wouldn't bet on this levelling out over the second half of the season personally.

On the plus side we've been very good in the big games generally (not so much the smaller ones) and the next two are pretty big now.

Agree regarding VAR, we're not going to get anything from them while United are getting everything, so far it's probably worth a 10 point swing which is massive this season. I can see United getting a draw with us as VAR will help them out.
    At this stage it's about getting the results, performances are secondary, just need to start building the points and keep our noses in front as this season could well be finished early if the Covid situation gets worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm worried about the Southampton game.

Liverpool have looked tired and leggy to me the last few games. Southampton are all about energy and pressing and work rate. The opening 30 mins Southampton players will be all over Liverpool. That opening period will be crucial. Philips starting would be a bad decision IMO. He would get eaten alive with the press and his shortcomings in terms of passing ability. I can see a Milner Hendo Gini midfield as Liverpool try and match the workrate of the Southampton players. JWP set piece ability and Ings threat will be important to manage too.

Hopefully Liverpool can stay in the game and then have Thiago for 20 mins at the end to carve open chances to win it.

Oh It's On !

1be08b15ac016421669dd54614c4059b.jpg

If our lads are not up for a title race then there in the wrong game. We can not be getting sidetracked on United atm

Sportsmen and women can and do lose focus when they finally achieve their goals, the risk is real and even more potent with ours due to the long wait to finally win one. If anything United being the rival would help refocus some minds if they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Fitz* wrote: »
    I'm worried about the Southampton game.

Liverpool have looked tired and leggy to me the last few games. Southampton are all about energy and pressing and work rate. The opening 30 mins Southampton players will be all over Liverpool. That opening period will be crucial. Philips starting would be a bad decision IMO. He would get eaten alive with the press and his shortcomings in terms of passing ability. I can see a Milner Hendo Gini midfield as Liverpool try and match the workrate of the Southampton players. JWP set piece ability and Ings threat will be important to manage too.

Hopefully Liverpool can stay in the game and then have Thiago for 20 mins at the end to carve open chances to win it.

Just like we didn't do against Newcastle, I think we could be in trouble if we play hendo, milner and gini together, there is zero creativity when they play together, I'd be starting thiago if he's anyway fit, or even ox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

In the matches since the Everton match, in all matches we have conceded 0,1,0,1,0,1,0,2,1,0,0,1,1,1,0,1,0.

The 2 was against Atalanta in the CL. So we are averaging 0.58 goals a match since we lost VVD which isn't that bad.

In the PL we concede .64 goals per match since we lost VVD, which is about 24 is a season, better than last years 33. It's not the backs that are the issue, we seem to muddle through. It's scoring up front and lack of penetration from midfield that's the issue this year. Hopefully Thiago will sort some of that out. We miss Fabinho playing a bit further upfield, but we've done without him in the past.

It has all the marks of a 3 way fight to the end, but I think Utd have a tough 8 weeks ahead of themselves and that will be the making or breaking of them. But they have their confidence up, and much like Leicester in 2016 it counts for a lot. Luck is with them, the decisions are going their way and that counts for a bit too.

We need to beat Southampton and give Utd a proper beating in Anfield to make a mark on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Southampton haven't scored in their last 3 games. Hopefully they keep it that way until Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Southampton haven't scored in their last 3 games. Hopefully they keep it that way until Tuesday.

Cue Ings to stick a few in against us!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Shanee. wrote: »
    EqrNGAFXEAIukH3?format=jpg&name=medium

This reminds me of Al in The Naked Gun and Police Squad :D
    The guy who's so tall his head is always out of shot
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxXELQnb48I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Cue the skat an song on the kop
    I must say the utd thread is quite amusing tonight, I think they actually think they are back and are gonna win the lge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Some of the crying on here about United sneaking up on us is cringe inducing.

Cop the f*ck on. Actually think City will still be the main rival, we need to stop them eating into our lead.

Thursday night Europa League football will see United drop points, even with their second string playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Some of the crying on here about United sneaking up on us is cringe inducing.

Cop the f*ck on. Actually think City will still be the main rival, we need to stop them eating into our lead.

Thursday night Europa League football will see United drop points, even with their second string playing.
    Yeah a few embarrassing themselves on the general thread,No point crying about what other teams are doing or decisions going their way,Need to get our own house in order regards form and picking up 3 points

• Advertisement

Ikozma wrote: »
    Cue the skat an song on the kop
    I must say the utd thread is quite amusing tonight, I think they actually think they are back and are gonna win the lge

Its funny, on course for a 78 point season, its more Leicester 2016 than any actual real world revival but if you can't enjoy being in the hunt regardless of what time of year it is there's no point in sport. Life can be miserable enough, take the wins when you get them I say! Loads of LFC miserys couldn't enjoy 13-14 cos of what might happen. I loved it! I'm glad they think they're in it, I've a mate terrified to say it in case he gets endless abuse if it doesn't happen. He will either way and vice versa no doubt:D

If we get our sh!t together they'll be nowhere near us. Its up to us to make that a reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Morgan Boyes has been recalled from his loan at Fleetwood. He wasn't playing for them at all, not even making the squad so that is probably the reason behind the recall.

He played against Villa last year in the cup game. Possibly will make the squad for the fa cup game this year due to CB injuries.

Rangers have scored 57 and conceded only 5 with 22 played/
    Looks like Gerrard is going to win his first league title / They just beat Celtic to open a 19 point lead.

Gerrard will have to prove himself elsewhere before he'll get his Liverpool chance.

Neil Lennon has won 5 Scottish titles lets hire him when Klopp retires.

SPL is nothing more than a stepping stone. It's league one /championship standard.

Win a title in a proper league and then it's a different conversation.

No more managers with half baked CVS hopefully. We've moved on from Rodgers and Hodgson type appointments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Give the man some credit. He’s done an excellent job and also topped his Europa League group.

Neil Lennon has won 5 Scottish titles lets hire him when Klopp retires.

To be fair this is a lot more impressive, given that he’s looking likely to win a one-team league with someone other than that one team.

I’ve always been sceptical of the Gerrard manager thing, but he’s going the right direction in an absolutely poisonous job and deserves a huge amount of credit. Especially since it’s not just the league - exceptional in Europe as well.

Does he deserve the Liverpool job right now? Of course not, but he’s certainly passing his first test with flying colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Can't wait for Harvey Elliott to return to Liverpool. 15 mins in and another assist.
    Kinda feel sorry for Brewster since he moved, still no goals for Sheffield Utd and on and off the bench. Suppose it worked out well for Liverpool though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    To be fair this is a lot more impressive, given that he’s looking likely to win a one-team league with someone other than that one team.

I’ve always been sceptical of the Gerrard manager thing, but he’s going the right direction in an absolutely poisonous job and deserves a huge amount of credit. Especially since it’s not just the league - exceptional in Europe as well.

Does he deserve the Liverpool job right now? Of course not, but he’s certainly passing his first test with flying colours.

He's made a decent start, but, will have to test himself in a better league before he should even be considered for the job. He can win all he wants in Scotland, it doesn't really count for much, even a promotion from the championship would trump that. Ideally he would need to take clubs like Newcastle, Leeds, Aston Villa or West Ham, big clubs who haven't had a huge amount of recent success, where he could prove himself or else do it in one of the other top European leagues.
    Basically he needs to earn the job not get it because of his playing career like Lampard did at Chelsea.He still has time to do that as hopefully Klopp will be around for a good few years yet

radiata wrote: »
    Can't wait for Harvey Elliott to return to Liverpool. 15 mins in and another assist.
    Kinda feel sorry for Brewster since he moved, still no goals for Sheffield Utd and on and off the bench. Suppose it worked out well for Liverpool though

I think Brewster was bought for the longer term as much as anything. Young strikers don’t get a look in in the PL these days, it’s just not the league for it, the standard is too high. He’ll be important in the promotion push next season.

Elliott is another sign of that tbh, he’s far far more effective at Championship level than he would be in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Souness won 3, practically 4 titles with Rangers before taking over Liverpool.

All it means is he was able to win in Scotland.

I don't know if Gerrard will be a winning manager for Liverpool.

I'd love if he was but I'd also love if he showed something tangible beforehand.

Things that might help:
    Signing big names that probably wouldn't have gone to Rangers otherwise and them being successful. Could be an older player or a younger player who needs a stepping stone.

Good results in the champions League

Europa League final

Repeat titles with Rangers.

Repeating success with another club.

Graeme Souness took over a Rangers team who hadn't won the league in yonks and turned them into a force too. Didn't quite go so well for him at Anfield. Its a great achievement for Gerrard but I'd be wanting him to go elsewhere for more experience before he ever gets near the Anfield hot seat. Win a few leagues and cups up North than go the continent or something.

EDIT:- what Atilladehun said!

Girly Gal wrote: »
    He's made a decent start, but, will have to test himself in a better league before he should even be considered for the job. He can win all he wants in Scotland, it doesn't really count for much, even a promotion from the championship would trump that. Ideally he would need to take clubs like Newcastle, Leeds, Aston Villa or West Ham, big clubs who haven't had a huge amount of recent success, where he could prove himself or else do it in one of the other top European leagues.
    Basically he needs to earn the job not get it because of his playing career like Lampard did at Chelsea.

I don’t think anyone thinks otherwise in terms of him not being ready yet just off the back of Scottish success. Though I thoroughly disagree that it doesn’t count for much. If it was with Celtic it wouldn’t count for much. But this is a league where one team has won the last 9 leagues in a row. Where that team has won the treble - every trophy on offer - for the last 4 consecutive seasons, and has significantly more resources than anyone else in the league. And Gerrard’s Rangers are toppling that. It is impressive.

It feels like every time what he’s doing at Rangers comes up, there’s this needless rush to put him back in his box.

I think most people know what Gerrard is doing is impressive. I know a good few Celtic fans who were laughing at him last season. Funny thing is the signs were there. Rangers fell away in the run in, but were much improved. Who's laughing now.

We've been stung with too many managerial duds too often in the last 30 years. Klopps replacement should have a proper CV. Title from England /Germany /Spain and proven record in Europe. We are now back to being a title contender. Let's keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

KevRossi wrote: »
    In the matches since the Everton match, in all matches we have conceded 0,1,0,1,0,1,0,2,1,0,0,1,1,1,0,1,0.

The 2 was against Atalanta in the CL. So we are averaging 0.58 goals a match since we lost VVD which isn't that bad.

In the PL we concede .64 goals per match since we lost VVD, which is about 24 is a season, better than last years 33. It's not the backs that are the issue, we seem to muddle through. It's scoring up front and lack of penetration from midfield that's the issue this year. Hopefully Thiago will sort some of that out. We miss Fabinho playing a bit further upfield, but we've done without him in the past.

It has all the marks of a 3 way fight to the end, but I think Utd have a tough 8 weeks ahead of themselves and that will be the making or breaking of them. But they have their confidence up, and much like Leicester in 2016 it counts for a lot. Luck is with them, the decisions are going their way and that counts for a bit too.

We need to beat Southampton and give Utd a proper beating in Anfield to make a mark on them.

CBs are the issue, despite the goals against column.

VVD, Gomez and Matip are our first line of attack. They break the lines with their passing, and allow our midfield to push up. They also allow more numbers in our midfield to press the play. Henderson and/or Gini have to be further back to protect.

We struggle to outnumber the opposition in midfield and attack when our CBs can't launch our attacks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement