Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Elliott is another sign of that tbh, he’s far far more effective at Championship level than he would be in the PL.

He's 17 no one would expect him to be doing that in the PL. Saying that he would be playing in a better team in the PL with better players who would improve him further. He's a ridiculous talent and one I'd be surprised doesn't make the grade at anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Awoniyi with another goal and an assist for Union Berlin as they move into the Champions League places.

That's 5 goals and 2 assists in 12 games for him.

Karius on the bench again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rob316 wrote: »
    He's 17 no one would expect him to be doing that in the PL. Saying that he would be playing in a better team in the PL with better players who would improve him further. He's a ridiculous talent and one I'd be surprised doesn't make the grade at anfield.

Oh yeah, totally - I was saying that in reply to the chap saying he can’t wait till he’s back at Anfield. I’m more of a mind to leave him at this level for another year and let him play regularly and excel.

He played a bit for us in the the covid-return period and then preseason all of which was only a few months ago, and was well off the level needed. Let’s not go rushing to pile pressure on him, and instead let him just keep doing his thing and developing at the appropriate level. I think handled properly over the short-medium term he’ll be a brilliant asset at Liverpool in the longer term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'd like to see Gerrard get the Liverpool job at 50 plus, not now. Want to see him do well at Rangers, and then make the step to a big European team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Oh yeah, totally - I was saying that in reply to the chap saying he can’t wait till he’s back at Anfield. I’m more of a mind to leave him at this level for another year and let him play regularly and excel.

He played a bit for us in the the covid-return period and then preseason all of which was only a few months ago, and was well off the level needed. Let’s not go rushing to pile pressure on him, and instead let him just keep doing his thing and developing at the appropriate level. I think handled properly over the short-medium term he’ll be a brilliant asset at Liverpool in the longer term.

Yeah he played against Lincoln in the cup and it was probably his worst performance for the club, on a night when 7 goals were scored. He didn't play against Arsenal in the round after.

But this is to be expected and not worrying at all. He is still only 17. There is always going to be rapid development periods and then a plateau or periods of poor form. And playing in multiple different positions. He probably would only have got 45 odd minutes if he had stayed at the club this year. At the same time it's harsh to be criticizing him for poor form in a cup game as he is so young. This loan with Blackburn and regularly playing a lot of minutes is brilliant for his development. Playing games to get him out of that 'rut'.

As for Brewster......looking like a total flop .Not a single goal or win, bottom of the league

Fitz* wrote: »
    Yeah he played against Lincoln in the cup and it was probably his worst performance for the club, on a night when 7 goals were scored. He didn't play against Arsenal in the round after.

But this is to be expected and not worrying at all. He is still only 17. There is always going to be rapid development periods and then a plateau or periods of poor form. And playing in multiple different positions. He probably would only have got 45 odd minutes if he had stayed at the club this year. At the same time it's harsh to be criticizing him for poor form in a cup game as he is so young. This loan with Blackburn and regularly playing a lot of minutes is brilliant for his development. Playing games to get him out of that 'rut'.

Yup, absolutely. Leave him be for 18 months out of the spotlight and we’ll have a proper player on our hands.

As for Brewster......looking like a total flop .Not a single goal or win, bottom of the league

Nah, wouldn’t agree it all - to call him a flop is to have lost all perspective imo. Disappointing, sure, but to call him a flop at this stage is insanely harsh. You don’t buy a 20 year old striker for the ‘now’, especially in the Premier League. There is not a single PL forward that age who is anything other than a bit part player. Mason Greenwood probably the closest, and even he starts less than half the games despite being an incredible talent.

Brewster will be important next year, just like Solanke has been at Bournemouth.

Joe Gomez has a picture up on social media of him back on a bicycle. I think that's his first public post since the injury. Long road for him ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just at looking at Wolves there and their record signing Fabio Silva, he's only starting tonight because of injuries. It's crazy the likes of Wolves can spend 35M on a young prospect.

Newcastle looking at signing Shaq however Liverpool don't want to sell him in January.

Newcastle looking at signing Shaq however Liverpool don't want to sell him in January.

And shouldn't either. He may be useful in the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

If he could stay fit he might be, never available when you might actually want to use him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Was Botman rated as a prospect at Ajax? Seems odd they let him leave at 19 for a relatively small fee.

.G. wrote: »
    If he could stay fit he might be, never available when you might actually want to use him!

Keep him for cameos like this

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Right, I guess we're all salivating at the prospect of Thiago maybe getting a start on Monday? Do people feel he will start, how will it alter our tactics or approach, presumably it will be Hendo and Gini that also start, will that work I wonder? . Hardly likely that Hendo drops to CB? Looking forward to it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

6 wrote: »
    Keep him for cameos like this

giphy.gif

He started that match IIRC.

I'm still apprehensive about VVD playing for Liverpool again this season. Unless Liverpool are locked in a tight title race, or deep into the CL, and he comes back for a big boost, I can't see him playing for the club again this season.

https://twitter.com/RealKevinPalmer/status/1345422977903579136?s=19

He started that match IIRC.

Yup, had a poor first half, was much improved after the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'm still apprehensive about VVD playing for Liverpool again this season. Unless Liverpool are locked in a tight title race, or deep into the CL, and he comes back for a big boost, I can't see him playing for the club again this season.

If we sign someone in Jan I'd prefer if vvd didn't play the Euros even if that means he doesn't play for us again this season. It's such a bad injury, it needs time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If we sign someone in Jan I'd prefer if vvd didn't play the Euros even if that means he doesn't play for us again this season. It's such a bad injury, it needs time.

This,don't want him coming back too soon,no one knows if he will ever recover to the levels he was at but if he rushes back you would fear that might not happen

I'd imagine he's personally targeting the Euros if possible.

If we have case in Jan, then we should play the Covid card against United. Give Jota time to get back .The Premier League haven't denied a request to postpone when asked.
    City called off their game, not the League .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If we have case in Jan, then we should play the Covid card against United. Give Jota time to get back .The Premier League haven't denied a request to postpone when asked.

Not a bad plan !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Why do that?, that would suggest that we fear them and give them a huge psychological boost. Play the games unless we genuinely don't have enough players due to a Covid outbreak, worst thing that happens is we lose, which I think might be the kick up the arse some of the players need to rid the complacency which seems to have crept into the squad this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Arsenal spanking West Brom now. Makes the draw last week even more infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Rangers have scored 57 and conceded only 5 with 22 played/
    Looks like Gerrard is going to win his first league title / They just beat Celtic to open a 19 point lead.

Gerrard will have to prove himself elsewhere before he'll get his Liverpool chance.

Absolutely.

We did this before with Souness.

retalivity wrote: »

Games are so different, we'd beat them 5-0 next week, but couldn't score against them last week.

retalivity wrote: »

Only ourselves to blame,unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

What a strange season, all the talk around Arsenal was that they were in a relegation battle after their loss to Everton on the 19th December. If they hold on for the win tonight they will only be 3 points behind Chelsea, who was thought to be in with a chance to challenge for the title this year.

Solskjaer was thought to be one loss away from losing his job a few times this year, and yet they are level on points with us at the top right now. Don't know what United will do when he starts losing a few matches again, he is a streaky manager if you look at his past record, with Pochechino off the market.

• Advertisement

Arsenal 6pts off 3rd .

THAT's what 3 wins on the bounce can do... when the top 5 clubs drop 87pts between them.

Liverpool should be 15 pts clear, no one has improved, we've just been poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So frustrating whats that 10-0 Westbrom over two games since they played us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it's hard to know what to say, I could give a **** tbh. I've supported Liverpool longer than most of you have been alive. From unbelieveable highs to unbelieveable lows. Years of supporting Utd to fail in Europe and in fairness they delivered.
    Leicester won a title after we probably should have won one. Money started pouring in. City made it impossible, scaled heights no-one could believe.
    Then, out of nowhere, Klopp.
    The disappoinment of 2018 when we only won a Champions League was unreal. We'd never win the title with City there. They were too good. Too strong.
    but we did
    I think this year's a crap shoot, Virgil is the most important person in the league our other injuries are merely catastrophic, If we win this, meh we'll win it all.
    I love cider
    I feel it necessary to say this as I'm sure I'll regret something tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

gimli2112 wrote: »
    it's hard to know what to say, I could give a **** tbh. I've supported Liverpool longer than most of you have been alive. From unbelieveable highs to unbelieveable lows. Years of supporting Utd to fail in Europe and in fairness they delivered.
    Leicester won a title after we probably should have won one. Money started pouring in. City made it impossible, scaled heights no-one could believe.
    Then, out of nowhere, Klopp.
    The disappoinment of 2018 when we only won a Champions League was unreal. We'd never win the title with City there. They were too good. Too strong.
    but we did
    I think this year's a crap shoot, Virgil is the most important person in the league our other injuries are merely catastrophic, If we win this, meh we'll win it all.
    I love cider
    I feel it necessary to say this as I'm sure I'll regret something tomorrow

It does seem a tad unfair (in the sporting sense, not the real world 'life' sense, of course), that the best Liverpool team of my lifetime has to exist and play during a global pandemic, with no fans, no pre-season, catastrophic injuries sustained while playing a team jetisoned in from the 1970's, dodgy VAR decisions etc etc.

Drop this team into 5 years ago and we'd have 5 league titles since, I'm certain.

What awful, awful timing for this awesome team to exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

You can negate the apprehension by assuming he will not be back till next season, as per medical opinion on the injury would suggest. Anything else is a bonus.

Reading two stories tonight one that Madrid will go big for Salah next summer and the other that Liverpool will go for Mbappe.

So would you sell Salah to pay for Mbappe?

I'm not sure I would unless Salah forces a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Reading two stories tonight one that Madrid will go big for Salah next summer and the other that Liverpool will go for Mbappe.

To be honest I'd hate to see Salah go but of we managed that for only a small cash outlay I wouldn't oppose it.

It'd also drastically reduce the average age of our attackers and have two young guys in Jota and Mbappe up front for the next 6 or so years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

The very, very simple fact that Mbappe is 6/7 years younger than Salah means yes, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

PSG have a new manager now so Mbappe might want to hang around. Would rather Salah stayed for another season or two. He is still a scoring machine and our biggest asset. Have always had an underlying feeling though that he won't stick around too much longer and might fancy Spain before he gets towards end of his career. I have the same feeling with Mane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Salah & Mane are absolutely lethal and fabulous football players but if one of the leave next sunmer and you can get Mbappe to replace them thats an absolute no brainer for the club long term,

If Klopp can make Salah and Mane world class he can do it with Mbappe,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

If that's possible I would, Mbappe is one of the few players I'd think could replace Salah long term. Ideally would perfer to have both together and let Mane go instead.

We never sign world class player like Mbappe, even VVD was a punt, a 13m pound Southampton signing that Real, Barca, Juve, PSG, Bayern had no interest in. He could have flopped going up a level, but he improved.
    It's only now that he's considered World Class, we paid up from him, ideally we wanted him for Mane type money. The fee was purely because it was available from a sale.

We never sign world class player like Mbappe, even VVD was a punt, a 13m pound Southampton signing that Real, Barca, Juve, PSG, Bayern had no interest in. He could have flopped going up a level, but he improved.
    It's only now that he's considered World Class, we paid up from him, ideally we wanted him for Mane type money. The fee was purely because it was available from a sale.

We signed Thiago a couple of months ago,world class so he is

We signed Thiago a couple of months ago,world class so he is

True, but he was coming to the end of his contract and wanted a new challenge and wanted to play for Liverpool. Kind fell into place that one, with small numbers involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If Salah wants to go, then let him. He may get better wages there but I'm not sure about his endorsements. His family would be well settled in Liverpool, changing country means changing to another language and all the attached. Not sure if he wants to go through that.

But yeah, I'd be more than happy with Mbappe. Probably my favourite player in world football at the moment outside of Liverpool. He also seems to have a solid, mature attitude to life and that helps. He's a bit more versatile than Salah and gives us a few more options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

May not be popular but would love if Mbappe was Bobby's replacement.

Salah Mbappe Mane

Would be an incredible front 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Does anyone seriously think Poch is going to sell Mbappe ? Even with the trouble French football is in for cash ? Even if Salah left, Mbappe would be so very far out of sync with our signature policy, it would make no sense. Massive signing on fee, massive wages, it would imbalance the squad. Thiago signing is not even in the same league.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    May not be popular but would love if Mbappe was Bobby's replacement.

Salah Mbappe Mane

Would be an incredible front 3.

Might not be popular but I would love if Mbappe was Origi's replacement,great sub to bring on in the last 20 mins!!!!!

PSG have a new manager now so Mbappe might want to hang around. Would rather Salah stayed for another season or two. He is still a scoring machine and our biggest asset. Have always had an underlying feeling though that he won't stick around too much longer and might fancy Spain before he gets towards end of his career. I have the same feeling with Mane.

I think he'll be leaving reasonably soon alright - PSG will be a bit hamstrung on what they can offer in wages soon too, with the TV deal collapsing, killing part of their official income for FFP in Europe.

Mbappe himself always seemed to see France as a stepping stone anyway.

But alas rather than Salah to Madrid and Mbappe to us, I'd say it's more likely Real would cut out the middle man and buy Mbappe directly.
    True, but he was coming to the end of his contract and wanted a new challenge and wanted to play for Liverpool. Kind fell into place that one, with small numbers involved.

Mbappe will be in the same situation - will only have one year left on his contract this summer. Expires summer 2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

I didnt think Real was flush with cash. Similar situation to Barca ?

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020/12/04/real-madrid-stay-e330k-profit-budgets-e300m-revenue-drop/[url][/url]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement