Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Damien360 wrote: »
    I didnt think Real was flush with cash. Similar situation to Barca ?

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020/12/04/real-madrid-stay-e330k-profit-budgets-e300m-revenue-drop/[url][/url]

Yes, but they always have a habit of finding money when they need it.

They're also not hamstrung by one massive Messi-sized wage (or another massive Griezzman-sized wage) round their necks.

They've downsized a good bit already, and are bringing through a lot more youth players.

There was also a lot of rumours that Perez has had a long term plan to bring in Mbappe, foregoing other transfers to save money in a sort of "Mbappe fund". We'll see if that's true or not anyway come the summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Do we pay Mbappes wages? He's already on 340k PW. Our top is 200.

Someone is going to pay him 500k pw on his next contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Do we pay Mbappes wages? He's already on 340k PW. Our top is 200.

Someone is going to pay him 500k pw on his next contract.

LeBron and Nike might chip in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fitz* wrote: »
    Joe Gomez has a picture up on social media of him back on a bicycle. I think that's his first public post since the injury. Long road for him ahead.

I just had a vision of Klopp putting Joe Gomez on a flight to Siberia and telling him to cycle back to Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Damien360 wrote: »
    Does anyone seriously think Poch is going to sell Mbappe ? Even with the trouble French football is in for cash ? Even if Salah left, Mbappe would be so very far out of sync with our signature policy, it would make no sense. Massive signing on fee, massive wages, it would imbalance the squad. Thiago signing is not even in the same league.

Poch will have no say in a deal like that. It will be way above his head and ultimately would give him a war chest to bring in 3 or 4 top class players.
    Anything to bring in mbappe would be worth. Lad is unreal and still a kid. Klopp would be hugging him so much it would probably start to get weird.

Poch will have no say in a deal like that. It will be way above his head and ultimately would give him a war chest to bring in 3 or 4 top class players.
    Anything to bring in mbappe would be worth. Lad is unreal and still a kid. Klopp would be hugging him so much it would probably start to get weird.

Honestly, I don't think we'll get him - but I do think he'll leave PSG sooner rather than later. Unless he signs a new contract soon, they pretty much have to sell him this coming summer or they're in big trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's funny how the two '' broke '' clubs Real and Barca always top the Forbes Richest Club List .

It's funny how the two '' broke '' clubs Real and Barca always top the Forbes Richest Club List .

It's not a rich list - it's a "most valuable sports teams" list, which is a big difference.

Valuation doesn't mean having cash to spend. And in some ways, that value is part of what hurts them - the value of those assets of massive players on massive wages (especially for Barca) increases the club valuation, but decreases significantly what they can spend from their revenue as so much is gobbled up immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't think we'll get him - but I do think he'll leave PSG sooner rather than later. Unless he signs a new contract soon, they pretty much have to sell him this coming summer or they're in big trouble.

You might be right, but the red Sox have laid out the money for a big piece when needed. David Price maybe the most recent example, so John Henry may consider. There is huge commercial value to mbappe too.
    Nice to dream about for sure. Also my first born son is cillian, so that would be cool. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Liverpool were to sell Salah or Mane they would looking for more money that they got for Coutinho so £150+

Mbappe with one year left on his contract would probably go for closer to £100m

That would leave £50m or so to cover agents fees and wages for about two years if Mbappe did join I would imagine sponsorship money would increase as well that would help cover wages.

It's all fantasy for now but nice thinking and with Klopp as Liverpool manager anything is possible.

Then after 5 seasons you could sell him to Madrid or Barca for even bigger money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It's the same way that John W Henry has an estimated net worth of $2.6b, but if you just scratch that number you realise it is down to his part ownership of two teams worth $3.3b (Red Sox) and $1.3b (Liverpool). He has around a 40% stake in FSG, so that means he is $1.8b richer from his ownership of these two teams. That is not money in his account nor is there any income from these two teams he is getting every year to pay taxes on his $2.6b wealth. He is still a very wealthy man, who was able to buy a £68m yacht though.

The same way Madrid and Barcelona as clubs are worth a lot of money, but that has nothing to do with their current financial situation. As for Madrid and their wages, yes they may not have a Messi stone around their necks as they got rid of it a few years ago. But the likes of Ramos and Hazard, who they paid more than £100m for, is on more than £300k per week. Then you have their other players who are on high wages as well, including Bale who they are apparently paying some of his salary to play for another team.

Their position is not as precarious as Barcelona, but I wouldn't say any club is in a great position at the moment. Yes the like of PSG, Chelsea and Man City will not have to worry about going bankrupt, unless Putin decides to take all of Abramovich's money that is, but due to the spending limits they have they aren't flush with cash. In this respect Chelsea are the interesting one to watch. They had a massive outlay as they usually do, but it was really noticeable with Covid this year. They gambled and bought players they would not normally be able to afford or be attractive enough for those players. But if they miss out on top 4 having spent that much, how much will the owner's love for the manager go towards saving his job?

Anyway, back to Liverpool, I would swap Mbappe with Salah. I don't want to get rid of Salah, Mane or Bobby, but they will not stay 27 years old and will start declining. If we can get the next best young player to replace Salah it would be a great buy. Imagine selling Mane and getting someone like Sancho as his replacement (that would mess with United and he can take his time to develop as he would need it most), if you already have Jota here as well. Don't sell all of our front 3 at the same time though, keep Firmino to play with the younger players and I would be happy if that were to happen. We would still have a potent attack, but they will be younger. One can but dream.

We are not City who can throw fees around, but like with the Coutinho transfer we can sell our players when their value is high and replace them with quality to make the team competitive. That is all we can ask for, because unfortunately a team will not stay together forever. Just want to reiterate, this is not me saying to sell any of our players now. I want them all to play for us for another 5 years, but I trust the club is acutely aware of their age and possible decline and will have a plan going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Every Liverpool fan right now

lfcmeme.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

James Pearce is ruling out a move for Sven Botman.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1345706005091512322?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

James Pearce is ruling out a move for Sven Botman.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1345706005091512322?s=19

I do wonder wil lwe get one at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I do wonder wil lwe get one at all?

I think if we were to sign one, he'd have been in on the 1st of Jan like VVD and Minamino were, wasn't Minamino even training with us for a few weeks before the window even opened. The club have known the CB situation for the last 2/3 months, so by not already having someone already lined up for the start of January would suggest that they're happy to go with what they have.

Even if they sign someone this coming week, would they even be ready to play against United for example as they'd need time to settle in. I hope we do get someone in as Matip will probably miss at least 10 games between now and end of season and Fabinho could also pick up a knock at some stage, if that happens we're really screwed as Philips and Williams are fine for the odd match but, we shouldn't leave ourselves in a situation where we're depending on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Some risk if we dont get a CB.

we are relying on a championship defender in Phillips & in Williams someone very inexperienced after only playing in the 6th tier last season & has a lack of pace.

Depending on how the next 6 weeks go. Even top 4 could be at risk.

Even if we are waiting until the summer for Upamecano we still need another CB anyway.
    Gomez & Van Dijk will not be playing 2 games a week at the start of next season. They'll probably be dealing with some knee issues after games for a while.

If we dont get a CB signed in the next 2 weeks. I dont see us buying one late in the window as the cost will go up

Not signing a new CB is also extremely reliant on Matip's current injury actually only being 3 weeks, not 6 weeks, and not getting injured again for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I understand we don't do panic buys and wait for the right priced/fit player and it's worked brilliantly over the years, I think these are exceptional circumstances though, we HAVE to buy a CB this window, it would be mental to try and get through this season without another body on board.

The league is there for the taking, the biggest obstacle I can see is our CB options, lets be honest Phillips and Williams cannot be relied upon except for fleeting appearances here and there, Matip we all know can't be relied upon to stay fit for any length of time, so we're left with Fabinho a makeshift CB who's playing brilliantly btw but seriously we have to buy someone, if we get someone even on loan who's solid and can stay fit it would be a huge boost and probably would mean we can claim another title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I dont see why we dont sign a young CB this window with huge potential.

Fofana at Leicester had little experience & has been superb.

There are quite a few very good young CB's in France
    Badiashile, Simakan & probably a few more, Carmo at Braga is highly rated as well

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »

Badiashile, Simakan & probably a few more, Carmo at Braga is highly rated as well

France looks the place to go for value with their tv deal collapsing and money being an immediate concern.

As a dark horse, would look at Duje Ćaleta-Car at Marseille - big strong 24 year old Croatian international, and another World Cup runner up to replace Lovren! Good on the ball, and good passing range.

West Ham tried to buy him last window, but he wanted to stay at Marseille and play for them in the Champions League. They’re out now, but he could get a second bite at that this season with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

We have been linked with carmo in the last week along with botman, guess its the usual monitor 2 and see which club blinks first like the lewis tsimikas thing

I can't claim to have much, or any, knowledge of CBs in Ligue 1 but I would echo the sentiments of targeting that league for a young CB. I think going younger could be the right idea anyways. Build up a possible long term partnership.

Some good defenders have come from that league recently like Fofana mentioned but also that Sarr that went to Chelsea is highly rated. From Lille themselves, Gabriel looks good in a shaky Arsenal team.

I can't claim to have much, or any, knowledge of CBs in Ligue 1 but I would echo the sentiments of targeting that league for a young CB. I think going younger could be the right idea anyways. Build up a possible long term partnership.

Yeah, ideally young alright - but still senior enough to come straight in without needing years to develop. Given the longevity of CB’s, I’d be hoping for someone between 23 and 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

We have 2 young centre backs that are fit. We have another one that is injured. What we need is a centre back we can start in big games. Do we really think we're going to get a young CB that fits that mould? In Jan? I highly doubt it.

Not signing a new CB is also extremely reliant on Matip's current injury actually only being 3 weeks, not 6 weeks, and not getting injured again for the rest of the season.

No chance Matip will stay injury free the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

We have 2 young centre backs that are fit. We have another one that is injured. What we need is a centre back we can start in big games. Do we really think we're going to get a young CB that fits that mould? In Jan? I highly doubt it.

Young is relative. In terms of January, often the guys potentially available as reactive buys are the 30-somethings not getting game time elsewhere.

I’d rather we look longer term than that - but still proper senior players, not kids. But to be honest if it’s a grizzled pro or nothing I’ll take a grizzled pro! A Klavan, or Kyrgiakis, or for this years iteration, Garay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You’ll Never Walk Alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

How many teams have used that song?

YNWA is now almost only associated with Liverpool and lesser so with Celtic but other teams used it in the past afaik.

Zico wrote: »

YNWA is now almost only associated with Liverpool and lesser so with Celtic but other teams used it in the past afaik.

It’s most associated with Liverpool as Liverpool were the first club to use it, and use it most prominently.

Plenty of other clubs have used it since as it’s a great representation of the ups and downs and camaraderie of team sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Zico wrote: »

Dortmund use it I think from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Not to jump the gun but I'm becoming increasingly pleased we didn't go all out on Werner, it's looking more and more likely that he can only really thrive in a counter attacking system against opponents playing high defensive lines, and for Liverpool that's maybe 2 opponents a year.

Not to jump the gun but I'm becoming increasingly pleased we didn't go all out on Werner, it's looking more and more likely that he can only really thrive in a counter attacking system against opponents playing high defensive lines, and for Liverpool that's maybe 2 opponents a year.

Can you really judge him playing under Lampard though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Can you really judge him playing under Lampard though?

Partially yeah, like obviously the system at Chelsea doesn't benefit him and a change up might see him scoring more goals but he seems incapable of ever beating his man with the ball at his feet and his passing is extremely poor, those aren't really coaching issues.

Depending on how the next 6 weeks go. Even top 4 could be at risk.

If we dont get a CB signed in the next 2 weeks. I dont see us buying one late in the window as the cost will go up

I can't see 4 teams overtaking us. We've been poor compared to our form over the last two seasons but apart from Man City the competition are better than usual.... I don't see our ppg getting worse TBH. Unless fabinho gets assassinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Sad news today (link)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Those two crappy draws have really opened the door behind us. Right scrum near the top now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Those two crappy draws have really opened the door behind us. Right scrum near the top now.

which clubs are the scummy ones near the top?

ETA: i read that post as scum rather than scrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Plenty of other clubs have used it since as it’s a great representation of the ups and downs and camaraderie of team sport.

If I'm not mistaken Utd even used it b4 us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

The B side "its alright" was a far better song. R.I.P. Gerry Marsden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

will the nightmare of reserve keepers having a blinder against Liverpool continue tomorrow night.

McCarthy is out with Covid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55463017

Where did he use the word scummy?

Scrum not scum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If I'm not mistaken Utd even used it b4 us

No proof of United fans singing it before Gerry and the Pacemakers reached the top 10 with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Where did he use the word scummy?
    Augeo wrote: »
    Scrum not scum

my bad. read that incorrectly

will the nightmare of reserve keepers having a blinder against Liverpool continue tomorrow night.

McCarthy is out with Covid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55463017

Could be off if Southampton request it . It's all they have to do.

Suarez breaking records at Atletico. He'll fire them to the title , geez would rather have him as a option instead of Origi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Every team has a 12th man.

YNWA is a religious declaration of support in victory or defeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Massive game for us tomorrow
    Gini has to come back into the team for Milner but who comea in for Jones?
    I dont think Thaigo will play from the start i reckon his first start will be the United game

I reckon we will draw 2-2 tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement