Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Massive game for us tomorrow
    Gini has to come back into the team for Milner but who comea in for Jones?
    I dont think Thaigo will play from the start i reckon his first start will be the United game

I reckon we will draw 2-2 tomorrow

Yeah need 3 points tomorrow with United and Spurs still to play this month. City have a very handy run of games upcoming on paper. They should win nearly all of them so just need to be as close as possible to them by the time we play them in February. City’s fixtures get harder after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Yeah need 3 points tomorrow with United and Spurs still to play this month. City have a very handy run of games upcoming on paper. They should win nearly all of them so just need to be as close as possible to them by the time we play them in February. City’s fixtures get harder after that.

that prob why going a few points behind them aint the end of the world. after their easier fixtures:

6/2/21 liverpool A
    13/2/21 spurs H
    20/2/21 arsenal A
    27/2/21 WHU H
    24/2/21 BM (CL) A
    6/3/21 utd A

Won't be overly disappointed if we drew tomorrow. Keep within distance of top spot going into the last dozen games. Long way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I agree a win tomorrow is vital but 1 win in the last 7 away games doesn't fill me with confidence at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We only have two away wins , if we are to win the league, we need to win away games again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

City have really tightened up defensively, only conceded 13 goals in 15, games, but, 5 of those were in one game against Leicester, so only 8 goals in 14 games, once they start scoring again, as they did today, they could go on a long winning run, if that happens I wouldn't fancy our chances of overtaking them if they are ahead of us after we've played them.
    We really do need to go on a winning run and keep our noses in front of both City and United, ideally we need to get to the City game only needing a draw to stay ahead of them. It's a vital month ahead, we won't win the league in the next month, but, we could lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Dias made them a lot better. And Stones plays well around a good partner. Rodri had a bad game today, but he also helps a lot so I think City will be really strong from now on.

We need to sign a CB and thats it. No way around that.

When the chips are down we respond, the chips are down tomorrow. If we give up top spot we'll make the chasers believe , and a little belief goes a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Of the players fit this is the team I'd like to see for the next two league games.

Alison

TAA
    Williams
    Fab
    Robbo

Hendo
    Thiago
    Gini

Salah
    Bobby
    Mane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Thidp wrote: »
    Dias made them a lot better. And Stones plays well around a good partner. Rodri had a bad game today, but he also helps a lot so I think City will be really strong from now on.

We need to sign a CB and thats it. No way around that.

then just buy upamecano.

ETA: i'm saying its not as simple as we (any club) need X, go out and buy X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Of the players fit this is the team I'd like to see for the next two league games.

Alison

TAA
    Williams
    Fab
    Robbo

Hendo
    Thiago
    Gini

Salah
    Bobby
    Mane
    Id play Henderson CB.

Milner in midfield.

We badly need a fast CB.
    We want to play a high line but now bar Robertson we dont have much pace in the backline.

Trent has decent pace but often gets beaten too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If I'm not mistaken Utd even used it b4 us

Sort of, but not really. Years before the Gerry & The Pacemakers version existed to make it mainstream famous, it’s said that the old Rogers and Hammerstein version was sang once by a choir (amongst other songs) at an event for Matt Busby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

MD1990 wrote: »
    Id play Henderson CB.

Milner in midfield.

We badly need a fast CB.
    We want to play a high line but now bar Robertson we dont have much pace in the backline.

Trent has decent pace but often gets beaten too

I think if Thiago can do 60 minutes and Milner the final 30 then starting Hendo at CB is a good shout. Pacey centre backs arent growing on the trees in January so we have to find another way of shoring up the defence, clean sheets have been thin on the ground for us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think if Thiago can do 60 minutes and Milner the final 30 then starting Hendo at CB is a good shout. Pacey centre backs arent growing on the trees in January so we have to find another way of shoring up the defence, clean sheets have been thin on the ground for us this season.

Our problem isn't the goals we are conceding,its that we can't score enough,3 goals against Brighton,fulham,west brom and Newcastle tells its own story. Now this in an way is stemming from our centrehalfs,Fab is a huge loss in midfield and we have had no creativity in midfield,more workhorses which is not what we need against those teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Sort of, but not really. Years before the Gerry & The Pacemakers version existed to make it mainstream famous, it’s said that the old Rogers and Hammerstein version was sang once by a choir (amongst other songs) at an event for Matt Busby.

May or may not have dreamed this, but I once saw a clip of the 1983 FA Cup final between Man Utd and Brighton with the United fans giving a rousing rendition before kick off. Have tried to find it since but to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Those two crappy draws have really opened the door behind us. Right scrum near the top now.

3 even, Fulham, West Brom and Newcastle. 6 dropped points which would put daylight between us and the rest.

West Brom shipping 10 goals after getting a draw against us.

Leicester beat Newcastle comfortably away after Newcastle kept us scoreless.

It's these type of games that you need something special from the front 3.

What's so annoying is between Fulham, Newcastle and Crystal Palace away I would have had Fulham and Newcastle as 6 points and a struggle against Palace.

Fraser Forster is going to be in goal tonight and as someone else posted, the curse of the sub keeper playing a blinder against us will probably resurface.

Klopp.
    We have solutions in the squad obviously but we struggled still with injuries. For most of the time with centre-half position, it can happen like this - when it starts, it does not stop.

“We have solutions with the squad but if we can do something in the window, I don’t know. It is like that.

“It is a very difficult transfer window, as you can imagine. Not all of the clubs have real money. Just doing something makes no sense. Doing the right thing makes sense. So far, we have really liked what we have done.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Liverpool no longer favourites to win the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Klopp saying something and nothing at the same time...

Happy New Year dudes and dudettes! Hope it's another one with a big ass trophy half way through...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

its not a surprise, that was a statement performance by city yesterday coupled with the fact that we seem determined to leave the back door wide open with all these draws recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Alison

TAA
    Williams
    Fab
    Robbo

Hendo
    Thiago
    Gini

Salah
    Bobby
    Mane

That's a strong side. Would suggest that's actually only 1 player off our best team (VVD for Williams) if the entire squad was fully fit despite all the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Seamu$ wrote: »
    That's a strong side. Would suggest that's actually only 1 player off our best team (VVD for Williams) if the entire squad was fully fit despite all the injuries.

Even with that midfield I still feel we are missing something when Fab isn't playing there. My first choice midfield would be him + 2 of the other 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Markitron wrote: »
    Even with that midfield I still feel we are missing something when Fab isn't playing there. My first choice midfield would be him + 2 of the other 3.

We're much more fragile in MF when he's not there for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Vicxas wrote: »
    We're much more fragile in MF when he's not there for sure.

But to be fair, for virtually all games with Fab at CB, Thiago hasn't been in midfield either - as VVD and Thiago were taken out in the same game. The addition of Thiago from now on might see a more solid midfield with Hendo dropping back into the Fabinho position (where he's played very well in the past). If we're still fragile in midfield from now on, then fair enough, it would suggest Fab's absence from midfield is bigger than we think.

I feel Jota been a massive miss for us,
    The Westbrom, Newcastle games he could have given us something different, leaves us so short in players who can come on and change a game if things are not working out ,
    Obviously we need a CB but if we can get rid of Origi another forward would be great,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Man City have been favourites from the start of the season

If Thiago does not start who would we like as the 3rd midfielder ?

For me it would be OX ,
    Personally I think an issue we have had recently on the right side is the lack of the midfielder making straight forward runs,

Jones drifts around the park which is fine but Hendo or Ox power forward , then the opposition left mid, left back and left CB have choices to make about there positioning ,
    I think its will help Trent and Salah out no end to have someone making forward runs inside them ,
    Creates more space for both of them, Even if the CM goes with OX run it opens a gap to find Bobby with a pass,

For example our away win to Palace Keita played on the right and that straight run was back in our team and we created multiple chances ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd be extremely surprised if Thiago starts.

Klopp said that he felt the intensity of the Newcastle game after only 12 minutes on the pitch, and only played 20 overall. Couple this with the high workrate, pressing & intensity of the Southampton midfield, I would expect the midfield battle tonight to be a real high energy one. I don't think that Thiago would be ready for that yet.

I think he'll get 30 mins max, to build up his match fitness. Maybe get 60 mins in the cup to build him up more and ready to start in that game on Jan 17th instead, and his first ever appearance for Liverpool at Anfield.

If Thiago does not start who would we like as the 3rd midfielder ?

For me it would be OX ,
    Personally I think an issue we have had recently on the right side is the lack of the midfielder making straight forward runs,

Jones drifts around the park which is fine but Hendo or Ox power forward , then the opposition left mid, left back and left CB have choices to make about there positioning ,
    I think its will help Trent and Salah out no end to have someone making forward runs inside them ,
    Creates more space for both of them, Even if the CM goes with OX run it opens a gap to find Bobby with a pass,

For example our away win to Palace Keita played on the right and that straight run was back in our team and we created multiple chances ,

I agree with the call for Ox with his more direct approach. I think Jones could do with a rest too.

Naby did show what he brings to the table against Palace. Shame he's so injury prone.

• Advertisement

Fitz* wrote: »
    I'd be extremely surprised if Thiago starts.

Klopp said that he felt the intensity of the Newcastle game after only 12 minutes on the pitch, and only played 20 overall. Couple this with the high workrate, pressing & intensity of the Southampton midfield, I would expect the midfield battle tonight to be a real high energy one. I don't think that Thiago would be ready for that yet.

I think he'll get 30 mins max, to build up his match fitness. Maybe get 60 mins in the cup to build him up more and ready to start in that game on Jan 17th instead, and his first ever appearance for Liverpool at Anfield.

I agree here no way he starts , We need him on it for the United game,

Gini ,Hendo and one other such a shame it can't be Fabhino

I agree here no way he starts , We need him on it for the United game,

Gini ,Hendo and one other such a shame it can't be Fabhino

Would you swap Hendo and Fabinho for CB?

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Would you swap Hendo and Fabinho for CB?

I wouldn't. Fab excels in both positions, Henderson only does so in one.

I had said a few days ago that I thought that the Hendo-Gini-Milner midfield would be the best option, but on thinking about it more, maybe what ye are saying and having someone like a Ox/Keita as the 3rd midfielder would be a better option, built on the solid foundation of Hendo & Gini.

IIRC Keita played very well away to Southampton a couple season ago on the run in, scoring the equalizer in the late 3-1 win to put Liverpool back top of the table, albeit after a tame start. But he grew into the game and some good form after that and went on a run of good performances. I'd like him to be able to play this type of game as I think it will suit him. He doesn't have blistering speed but an open game can give him a lot of ample opportunity to drive into space and progress the ball into dangerous areas. In fairness, Keita does also have good workrate so it's not like Liverpool would be losing out there.

Likewise, if Ox is the 3rd midfielder, he will offer that drive from midfield and also likes a shot. He is capable of testing the keeper from distance, and Forster will be a keeper who has been tested this season, and only has 1 appearance in England in 3 years - a 3-0 loss. Ox has that bit extra speed which will be a useful asset in breaking the lines also. I thought he was actually decent against Newcastle when he came on and offered more to what the starting midfielders did in terms of creativity. The final ball was not always perfect, but you could tell he had the right ideas, just lacking in execution.

I'd be hoping 1 of those 2 starts tonight in place of Jones who looked very poor against Newcastle and messed up against WBA for their goal too. A little break for him might not be the worst idea, after having a very good run in the team previous to this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Keeping Fab at CB is a priority atm. I doubt Thiago will start but he will surely get at least 30 odd mins hopefully. Ox is a good shout. Jones was fairly poor the ladt day.

So Matip is out. Robertson is so fast and competitive that he'd be more than capable of playing at CB if we got desperate, not at that point yet though.

Would like to see Salah playing central tonight, we dont play on the shoulder nearly enough, everyone drops off and it's all about breaking down a block of 8, sometimes playing on the shoulder can get fast results. We have speed, need to use it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Fabs is first choice CB for the rest of the season, and there is an argument for him playing there with Virg when everyone is back. He's a Rolls Royce on the ball, a calming influence, great tackler and great positionally. All of which cannot be said for Gomez, if we are honest. I'd rather keep him there and look to build the midfield around Thiago and Hendo as double 6s...

Fab cannot be moved away from centre half. Only way he can be moved is if we sign someone good enough at CB and Joel is fit

Really hope we do not go with Milner, Gini and Hendo midfield tonight. Our front three suffer massively when we have those three behind them.
    Teams have been having success against our system by making the full backs cross from much deeper and into a packed box. Would like to see a tweak to the system tonight. I can see one of Shaq, Taki or Naby starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Means little really. Any side that wins 2 or 3 on the trot will probably be made favourites. Liverpool were apparently nailed on after beating Spurs and hammering Palace. Would be surprised if it doesn't go down to the last few games of the season.

Fitz* wrote: »
    I had said a few days ago that I thought that the Hendo-Gini-Milner midfield would be the best option, but on thinking about it more, maybe what ye are saying and having someone like a Ox/Keita as the 3rd midfielder would be a better option, built on the solid foundation of Hendo & Gini.

IIRC Keita played very well away to Southampton a couple season ago on the run in, scoring the equalizer in the late 3-1 win to put Liverpool back top of the table, albeit after a tame start. But he grew into the game and some good form after that and went on a run of good performances. I'd like him to be able to play this type of game as I think it will suit him. He doesn't have blistering speed but an open game can give him a lot of ample opportunity to drive into space and progress the ball into dangerous areas. In fairness, Keita does also have good workrate so it's not like Liverpool would be losing out there.

Likewise, if Ox is the 3rd midfielder, he will offer that drive from midfield and also likes a shot. He is capable of testing the keeper from distance, and Forster will be a keeper who has been tested this season, and only has 1 appearance in England in 3 years - a 3-0 loss. Ox has that bit extra speed which will be a useful asset in breaking the lines also. I thought he was actually decent against Newcastle when he came on and offered more to what the starting midfielders did in terms of creativity. The final ball was not always perfect, but you could tell he had the right ideas, just lacking in execution.

I'd be hoping 1 of those 2 starts tonight in place of Jones who looked very poor against Newcastle and messed up against WBA for their goal too. A little break for him might not be the worst idea, after having a very good run in the team previous to this.

I'd 100% have Keita in there but he is not fit is he ?

• Advertisement

I'd 100% have Keita in there but he is not fit is he ?

Haven’t seen any news on it... just that he felt a twinge in the muscle after the Palace game, and hasn’t appeared since. Hopefully he’s recovered enough in the last week to be an option..

We’ve Ox, Naby, and Thiago who are all in or abouts being able to contribute for 30 to 60 minutes now, just needs to be managed very carefully.

Haven’t seen any news on it... just that he felt a twinge in the muscle after the Palace game, and hasn’t appeared since. Hopefully he’s recovered enough in the last week to be an option..

We’ve Ox, Naby, and Thiago who are all in or abouts being able to contribute for 30 to 60 minutes now, just needs to be managed very carefully.

The Villa cup game could be vital for getting lads fit again
    Milner, Jones , Keita, Shaq ,Ox, Thaigo ,Taki could all do with a start in that one,

The Villa cup game could be vital for getting lads fit again
    Milner, Jones , Keita, Shaq ,Ox, Thaigo ,Taki could all do with a start in that one,

Yeah, that's coming at a decent time.

Would start; Kelleher, Milner, R Williams, Phillips, N Williams, Naby, Ox, Jones, Taki, Shaq, Origi for that one. With Thiago getting however much time he needs, and kids available to get lads like Naby, Ox, and Milner off inside 60 minutes.

<edited as Tsimikas is injured>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

willabur wrote: »
    Really hope we do not go with Milner, Gini and Hendo midfield tonight. Our front three suffer massively when we have those three behind them.
    Teams have been having success against our system by making the full backs cross from much deeper and into a packed box. Would like to see a tweak to the system tonight. I can see one of Shaq, Taki or Naby starting

100% agree with this assessment.

I never like seeing Milie & Henderson in the same 3. It’s always too slow & first pass is always conservative where Mane/Salah thrive on that quick ball through or over the top

Chesty08 wrote: »
    100% agree with this assessment.

I never like seeing Milie & Henderson in the same 3. It’s always too slow & first pass is always conservative where Mane/Salah thrive on that quick ball through or over the top

Lots of twitter talk of Hendo and Fab CB's with Thiago, Ox, Gini midfield

Interesting! If we see that, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a test run for the Utd match.

<edited as Tsimikas is injured>

Shaqiri posted a picture a few days ago of himself training, and Tsimikas was in the background smiling away. I'm not sure if it was an old picture or not but maybe Tsimikas is closer than we think. Would be a benefit.

I'm not sure how well that would work but it certainly wouldn't be boring.

Is Ings still injured btw? Cos he is definitely scoring if he isn't.

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm not sure how well that would work but it certainly wouldn't be boring.

Is Ings still injured btw? Cos he is definitely scoring if he isn't.

Ings should be able to start.

Going by the Southampton fans, Che Adams was absolutely shattered on 60 mins in their last game and really needs a rest. It could be a 60/30 job there.

Hopefully Tsimikas is close to being back, Robbo must be close to burnout at this stage and we really don't want him on his last legs in the latter half of the business end of season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement