Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Feeling a bit nervous for tonight, Soton are no pushovers and it feels like a season defining game. City got a scabby 1-0 against them a couple of weeks ago, Id be happy with the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Feeling a bit nervous for tonight, Soton are no pushovers and it feels like a season defining game. City got a scabby 1-0 against them a couple of weeks ago, Id be happy with the same

3 points tonight would be absolutely massive,

Given how bad we have been away from home id take a draw right now ,
    It's night for lads to really step up to the plate and show why we are champions , Mo has been a little quite since Covid so hopefully he is on it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Unless Southampton suddenly change there playing style and stop playing a highline and decide sit deep I wouldn't be to worried.

Even if they did decide to sit deep how used to playing that style are there players.

There highline give Mane & Salah the space they love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Unless Southampton suddenly change there playing style and stop playing a highline and decide sit deep I wouldn't be to worried.

Even if they did decide to sit deep how used to playing that style are there players.

There highline give Mane & Salah the space they love.

There keeper and best CB are missing to ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

RB Austria's CB Max Wober and Sporting Brag's David Carmo being linked this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

There keeper and best CB are missing to ,

Cue Fraser Forster to have the game of his life!

Man City have been favourites from the start of the season

You reckon we haven't been favourites when we were several pts clear of City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

its easy to forget,we are missing our best central defenders for season,a world class midfielder for most of it so far,a guy who was banging in the goals for fun is missing for months...plus..plus,other injuries' and covid,, and we sit top of the league and top of our champions league group ! i though we would be doing well to be top 4 tbh..

its fckin remarkable.

also, if our boss says we wait for a player,we wait..he knows what he's doing,and the cards he's playing with,might be frustrating but no matter what happens this season,i too would rather wait for the real targets to be bought,rather than stop gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mo has been a little quite since Covid so hopefully he is on it ,

He's the top goalscorer in the league if he keeps his current ratio up he'd be on for a 30 goal season. Hardly a little quiet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We've been pretty ropey in front of goal in 4 of the last 5 games (granted, the other was a 7-0).

We've been pretty much spot on in attack in the league otherwise this season.

If we can click up front again, we can continue to ride out the issues at CB.

This season isn't going to be a 95 pointer, in all likelihood. If we can get 65+ from 72 against the bottom 12 teams, it'll go a hell of a long way to retaining the title, and that's 90% about firepower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

He's the top goalscorer in the league if he keeps his current ratio up he'd be on for a 30 goal season. Hardly a little quiet

Yeah idk what the basis is for that, since he missed a game with COVID he's played 7, scored 5, and assisted 3.

While over the same 7 games Mane has 2 goals 2 assists and Firmino has 3 goals 1 assist.

Gbear wrote: »
    We've been pretty ropey in front of goal in 4 of the last 5 games (granted, the other was a 7-0).

We've been pretty much spot on in attack in the league otherwise this season.

If we can click up front again, we can continue to ride out the issues at CB.

I know we didn't score even with him on the pitch but we looked so much more threatening once Thiago came on, keeping him fit is key, his experience playing on by far the most dominant team in Germany is really showing because he seems to always know how to unlock a packed defence, some of his little scoops over the top are a joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Liverpool have really shortened up in the betting, is their team news we don't know about yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Henderson starts at CB
    Thiago also starts.

2 surprises IMO.

Time for Ox to shine now. A goal against his old club will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1346169573033316352

Arguably only one defender (Robbo) starting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

retalivity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1346169573033316352

Arguably only one defender (Robbo) starting!
    Trent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

retalivity wrote: »

A bit of an unfair slap in the face for Williams and Phillips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Two midfielders in the centre of defence. Wild.

Club must surely have a centre half signing in the pipeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

This has a 4-4 or some other ridiculous score line written all over it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    A bit of an unfair slap in the face for Williams and Phillips!

?
    They’re not starting...
    Or do you mean it’s an unfair slap that they’re not starting? I think they’d agree themselves that Hendo and Fab are far superior players, even out of position, tbh.

I’ve no problem with either playing as CB’s - I’m just worried about how much we’ll miss them in midfield. Lot of pressure on Ox tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

For as long as Matip is out for important games I'd far prefer Hendo at CB instead of Rhys Williams or Philips. That's still a great midfield with options of Milner, Keita, Minamino, and Shaq down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

This really sends out a signal that Williams and Philips aren't good enough yet and that a CB is badly needed. We can't really continue with 2 midfielders at CB, granted Fabinho has been great there, but, Henderson as well is really stretching things, plus both are missed in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I know we're still leading the league but this feels like must win game tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Trent?

I said arguably...sure haven't people been saying that TAA's future is in midfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Fascinating line up, I did have an inkling that we might try the Hendo CB experiment, no idea how it's going to pan out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ?
    They’re not starting...
    Or do you mean it’s an unfair slap that they’re not starting? I think they’d agree themselves that Hendo and Fab are far superior players, even out of position, tbh.

That they're not starting.
    I think they've been pretty good (esp Williams in Europe) the last few months when asked to play.
    This might be a small blow to their confidence, thinking that their manager doesn't trust them.
    I can't remember what Henderson is like at CB.
    What was he like before when he played there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Pep has been playing without, a centre forward.... We've gone one better, playing without a centre back.

'interesting' side..... I thought (after Williams came on and looked really slow) we could have done that on the WBA game, play Hendo at CB.

Anyway, in Klopp we trust - need a good result here, need a good display, especially from Trent

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

If you look at how we play, with our defence parked on the halfway line and the centre backs being the first point of our build up it makes sense on paper to have Hendo there.

Still doesn't "feel" right to me. I suppose it's a "wait and see" situation.

I can understand why Phillips was overlooked due to the speed of Walcott. And Williams is still learning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I think they've been pretty good (esp Williams in Europe) the last few months when asked to play.
    This might be a small blow to their confidence, thinking that their manager doesn't trust them.

I think Hendo last played CB in the Club World Cup a year ago. Not sure if he played both games there but definitely one of them and was fine.

• Advertisement

Still doesn't beat this

zqJbhA6.png

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I think Hendo last played CB in the Club World Cup a year ago. Not sure if he played both games there but definitely one of them and was fine.

He did it in the second half against Fulham a few weeks ago and we looked much better once he moved there too.

We're missing van Dijk for his quick decisive passing as much as his defensive capabilities at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I cant wait to see how Thiago gets our front 3 moving again. I think he is a key mover of the ball, always looking for it and moving it at speed, generally in a forward direction. Our midfield can be too ponderous and sideways, not tonight hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

He did it in the second half against Fulham a few weeks ago and we looked much better once he moved there too.

We're missing van Dijk for his quick decisive passing as much as his defensive capabilities at the moment.

I could claim to have meant that he last started at CB in the CWC, but I had genuinely forgotten he filled in at Fulham as well! :D

Klopp said Thiago was tired after doing 20 minutes the last day so will be interesting to see what he’s got in his legs tonight. Hopefully an hour anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

How many different CB partnerships have played for Liverpool this season?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Reckon an hour is the most we will see of him.

I doubt they're that precious to be honest - especially given that neither thought they would be within miles of the starting lineup this season. And anyway, you can't make good decisions by setting the potential upset of fringe players at a higher priority than actually fielding your best team.

Hendo's grand at CB, has played there in bits and pieces a decent amount over the years when needed - and we also just know exactly what he offers. If we weren't so light in midfield he'd have 100% been playing there already this season, but we've been lucky to field 3 midfielders (including 19 year old Curtis) in most games. This is the first time in months that we actually have options for who can start in midfield, with the opportunity to shuffle some of our best players into stop-gap positions. Wouldn't be surprised if Thiago comes off after 60, Hendo steps into midfield, and Phillips or Williams come on.

Fitz* wrote: »
    How many different CB partnerships have played for Liverpool this season?

https://twitter.com/WhoScored/status/1346172969861705728?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I haven't seen flicks and scoops like Thiago does since I played schoolboy football. Ye can't be doing that lad.

Hopefully we can have the game wrapped up by the time Thiago comes off, don't want Klopp having a decision to make between keeping him healthy and leaving him out there to help win the game, especially with United on the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Thiago starting.
    Bring it!

emo72 wrote: »
    I haven't seen flicks and scoops like Thiago does since I played schoolboy football. Ye can't be doing that lad.

He definitely riles opponents up something fierce, Richarlison tried to break his leg and there were a few dirty two-footers thrown at him against Newcastle too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

There talking about Lampard on MNF.
    I think that it is lesson for our owners when trying to replace Klopp.

Unless Gerrard does a great job at a top 8 PL side like Leicester in the future or Wolves he shouldnt be considered for the Liverpool job after managing just Rangers.

Rodgers had a great season at us but struggled on the whole. Now 5 years later he is a much better manager probbaly ready for a top 4 club.

MD1990 wrote: »

Unless Gerrard does a great job at a top 8 PL side like Leicester in the future or Wolves he shouldnt be considered for the Liverpool job after managing just Rangers.

Rodgers had a great season at us but struggled on the whole. Now 5 years later he is a much better manager probbaly ready for a top 4 club.

Klopp's successor all depends on the nature in which Klopp leaves the club.

If he leaves because results are dwindling and the owners sack him then yeah we go searching for a new manager, but if he leaves of his own volition with the club still in a similar position to where it is right now then I'm fully on board with Pep Lijnders taking over. All that would be needed in that scenario is a coach who already knows the system and the players, so who better than the man who's been with them all this time.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »

Everyone's path is different. Rangers itself isn't a problem for experience as, as you say yourself, it was Rodgers extra few years of management in Scotland that raised his game.

He's winning a league he was an underdog for - that's a great experience. But he needs more of that, both in Scotland, and elsewhere, just to broaden out his experience. He needs to play different teams in different ways, and encounter a huge range of situations and find a huge range of solutions. With all that in his pocket, whenever/if-ever he gains it, that's when he should be going for a top job at Liverpool or elsewhere.

No rush, we're 4 years off Klopp's successor, and I've a lot of faith in the club being much more attuned to what attributes they need, and finding the right person to do that. The lad in the opposite dugout tonight is one I'd have our eye on, was good at Leipzeig, and has been very good at Southampton. But 4 years is a long time in football, none of these lads might be relevant anymore by then.

I'm happier just watching what Gerrard is achieving at Rangers - domestically, and in Europe - on its own merits, without needing to necessarily connect it to the Liverpool job.

Elsewhere, bloody hell I'm looking forward to keeping an eye on Thiago at all times in tonights game, player-cam style!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Klopp's successor all depends on the nature in which Klopp leaves the club.

If he leaves because results are dwindling and the owners sack him then yeah we go searching for a new manager, but if he leaves of his own volition with the club still in a similar position to where it is right now then I'm fully on board with Pep Lijnders taking over. All that would be needed in that scenario is a coach who already knows the system and the players, so who better than the man who's been with them all this time.

I don't think Gerrard's experience by the time Klopp leaves will be comparable to Lampards when he got the Chelsea job.

Klopp is here probably until the end of his contract in the summer of 2024. We'll know by then if Gerrard can step up and manage Liverpool.

Lampard was unfortunate in that Chelsea had burnt through so many managers that they had nearly tried every "type of solution" bar the "former player who the squad respects". So he got put into the situation far too early. He might turn out to be a fine manager down the line, but everyone knew this was probably beyond him

plibige wrote: »
    I don't think Gerrard's experience by the time Klopp leaves will be comparable to Lampards when he got the Chelsea job.

Klopp is here probably until the end of his contract in the summer of 2024. We'll know by then if Gerrard can step up and manage Liverpool.

Lampard was unfortunate in that Chelsea had burnt through so many managers that they had nearly tried every "type of solution" bar the "former player who the squad respects". So he got put into the situation far too early. He might turn out to be a fine manager down the line, but everyone knew this was probably beyond him

Scraping Derby into the playoffs was almost the worst thing that could happen for his longer term career, as it just created so many England's Frank Lampard's Derby County headlines that it started this inexorable momentum behind his movement to the Chelsea job. It was grand while they had the transfer ban and lowered expectations, but with money spent he's been asked questions that he just doesn't have any answers for. Would have been better off with 4 or 5 more years learning before this sort of challenge.

If he fails this early test at the top, it'll be a very hard slog back. You could say that Rodgers did it, but he had overseen a fairly spectacular title challenge which offset the later backslide.

Can we start any game well at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ffs

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement