Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ezequiel Garay is still a free agent might be worth a chance on a 6 month contract at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Swings and round abouts...Never a Peno looks like mane us buying it all day long

Ah I see you're here for your monthly "never a foul"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Swings and round abouts...Never a Peno looks like mane us buying it all day long

Pogba tripped himself up, Mane in this incident is awkwardly tackled, the defender ends up with his leg in between Mane's legs, breaking Mane's stride, that stray leg from the defender got in the way of Mane's next stride, tripping him up, and taking him down.
    Mane did nothing wrong, except trying AGAIN to stay on his feet with initial contact, then going down a tad later.

Wish he'd go down when contacted, the man is too honest, and it's costing Liverpool.

United players go down, and then let VAR sort it, and a lot of the time VAR give them very soft penalties. But it's smart to go down, and let them decide.
    Liverpool are too honest, in a game that is far from honest .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pogba tripped himself up, Mane in this incident is awkwardly tackled, the defender ends up with his leg in between Mane's legs, breaking Mane's stride, that stray leg from the defender got in the way of Mane's next stride, tripping him up, and taking him down.
    Mane did nothing wrong, except trying AGAIN to stay on his feet with initial contact, then going down a tad later.

Wish he'd go down when contacted, the man is too honest, and it's costing Liverpool.

United players go down, and then let VAR sort it, and a lot of the time VAR give them very soft penalties. But it's smart to go down, and let them decide.
    Liverpool are too honest, in a game that is far from honest .

too honest me hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Ardent wrote: »
    Glad Klopp is highlighting the horrendous refereeing we've been on the wrong end of recently. It really is a joke, and very curious how VAR lately doesn't deem it necessary to examine crucial decisions against us.

It's always everyone else's fault with klopp though, we've been piss poor all season bar one or 2 games, that's down to management and coaching, fix it on the training ground, stop making excuses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Rant incoming...
    Girly Gal wrote: »
    We are highly unlikely to win the title this season, we might be top now, but, on recent evidence we'll be out of the running after we play City. Last summer was the time to get a CB in and not to have one signed by Jan 1st was pure negligence as it has completely unbalanced the team, I fear the damage has already been done at this stage and we have now turned the United, Spurs and City games into must win games.

Firstly the result sucks. I hate losing and it hurts everytime we do. But Southampton is a good side. They are on the same points as a lot of teams we consider title contenders right now and in with a shout for a European place or even top 4 the way this season is going. This was going to be a difficult game for us even with two fit CB's.

Now looking back to our transfers, yes you could make the argument that we should have bought another defender. But did anyone one of us think we would have all of our centre backs injured at the same time? If you did I would call you a liar. Maybe you thought we could lose VVD to a long term injury and you say that it would be a risk to only have 2 other senior CB's that have had poor injury records, but there is no way you predict we have both VVD and Gomez out with long term injuries at the same time. Add in Matip struggling to regain his fitness as he is being rushed back because there are no other senior defenders and he cannot get fit right now.

So if we are saying that we should have seen we would have lost VVD to a career ending tackle by an mindless fool and then have Gomez out with another long term injury a few weeks later, then I want the lotto numbers from you because you are able to see the future. Think about the bad luck in losing all three senior defendersat the same time, the option was always there to plug in Fabinho in case of emergency for a game or two, but he is now our only fit senior CB. If we had one of the others available you could play one of the youngsters alongside him to guide him through the match, but that option isn't there any longer as Fabinho cannot guide the other player like VVD or Gomez or Matip would be able to.

And that leads to what we should do now. Should we try to sign a CB, any CB or are we looking for a type of player that would allow us not to play Fabinho at CB and have one of the youngsters play alongside the new signing? Because as much as we miss our CB's, we miss Fabinho in midfield just as much. So how much is a experienced CB going to cost that will fit right into our high line system and that can adapt to the Premier League within a week? Is that players out there firstly and secondly, is he available?

Then onto this season. It sucks not be 10 points clear right now of Leicester and 14 of Man City not having lost a match, but this is not last year. We are still within a title race, but let's be honest we will have to scrap for this title this year. We are the defending champions so anyone being surprised that teams put in extra effort against us should wake up. It is up to the champions to overcome this extra effort so it doesn't affect the result. So no more moaning about teams putting extra effort to beat us, this is expected because we are the champions and it has always been like this.

Add in that our competitors has still spent a lot of money this year, even in a pandemic year. This has been the transfer money spent, according to Transfermarkt this year of our traditional competitors and Leicester,

Man Utd - 83m euro
    Leicester - 62m euro
    Tottenham - 110m euro
    Man City - 171m euro
    Chelsea - 247m euro
    Arsenal - 86m euro

We spent around 80m euro ourselves and I think most agree we did well to do deals during this time. We are still to see the impact the pandemic had on our finances but if you had a choice to buy a new CB or Jota, what would your choice be? Now the answer is easy but before Jota got injured, would you have honestly swapped him for Ake? Both of them cost around the same.

We cannot also ignore that we have not had a lot of luck so far with the referees. I don't know why this is. We are not a team that looks for fouls or surrounds the referee like a lot of other teams, but maybe we should be. If the evidence points to teams getting favourable decisions if they try to deceive the referee or surround him to get a decision, then pundits can shut up about respecting referees and not "cheating" during match, because having respect and not cheating is a hinderance, if anything. The decisions last night have been commented on, but how Mane's penalty shout and Pogba's live beside each other in the same league is amazing to me. One kicks himself but because there may have been contact it is not overturned because the referee gave the penalty. The other is not given because there was only slight contact and not enough to overturn it. What stupid system is that? Instead of getting it right you are still at the mercy of the referee who has their own biases and what he decides. Our corner doesn't go out and is flagged for going out. Sure, it wasn't a corner to begin with but you don't make a right by two wrongs. Tyler was joking about the Man United ball going out against West Ham and how it leads to a goal. The standard of officiating in the Premier League has always been poor, its just the pundits and media that has been trying to gaslight fans into believing it that they were the best.

So, can we win the league this year? Yes we can, but it will be a struggle. We will need to fight for form in the next few matches and build up a run of wins to be there at the end. We are capable of it, but sometimes it just isn't enough no matter how hard the players try. We are dealing with injuries and players being off form and it is hurting us. TAA has been poor, but he is still a very god player who is showing glimpses of promise in a match, but overall his performances so far has not been good this year.

But you have to hope just like Firmino he will find form at some point. Add in that hopefully culminating in some fitness and form from the midfield at the same time it will hopefully mean we can start firing again. We had 2 midfielders starting their first matches after long injuries last night. That is not ideal. So we have to hope for some luck from the officials, and injuries and we are still well placed to win the title. With the season we have had so far I would have taken being close to the top in January. It is up to us now not to let our position slide.

Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Klopp taking the blame for getting it wrong.

https://twitter.com/ptgorst/status/1346222344621199360?s=20

Ikozma wrote: »
    It's always everyone else's fault with klopp though, we've been piss poor all season bar one or 2 games, that's down to management and coaching, fix it on the training ground, stop making excuses

This is a very easy answer to a complex situation. Just be better and you will win. That red card that was missed and we dropped 2 points? Be better on the training pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yes, we've been poor the last while but it's ALSO fair for Klopp to call out when he feels that the laws of the game are not being fairly applied across the board. Are you only allowed question the officiating when you're winning?

Other teams are close to us in the table when they've also being playing poorly - the difference being they're getting the rub of the green and the benefit of 50/50 calls, shall we say, and are drawing/winning games they could easily have lost/drawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭facehugger99

TBH I think the Man Utd game is coming at the perfect time.

Redemption beckons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Southampton deserved it. I think we all agree with that.

But the lack of decisions we're getting is concerning. It's downright baffling.

It is bizarre.

I believe the refs believe Salah and Mané are divers.

Look at Mariner have a go at Salah after he complains about the arms around his neck first half. It's fúcking insane.

Look at the last couple of minutes when Mane is booked, and the armlock Walker-Peters has on him before it.

Look at West Brom, and the full back with a full on grab around Salah's waste.

And its effecting decisions about other players and incidents.

Look at Walcott's fúcking mental challenge on Milner. Nothing.

There is no agenda against Liverpool. But I believe the narrative around Salah last year hasn't helped.

Also, the way they play doesn't help. Referees can't see everything, so they look for visual clues for fouls. Our forwards tend to be in contact with their defenders, trying to roll them. That leads to holding and tugs. Referees simply just don't buy those fouls as regularly as attackers who are running freely on the counter and are clipped.

Either way, we're having a fúcking Twilight Zone season.

No CBs essentially.
    Thiago for 2 games.
    Trent out for a month, and now off colour.
    Alisson out for a couple of weeks.
    Hendo the same.
    Jota for 8 weeks.

Plus the weird refereeing decisions.

Agreed. I don't believe there's a conspiracy across the PL to "give Liverpool nothing", because that would be Blueloon-level nonsense, but do I believe it's possible there may be inherent subconscious bias amongst certain referee's? Sure, it's possible - they're human. Do I believe a lot of referee's believe Salah and Mane, especially, are divers? Yes, I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We had our easiest run of fixtures on paper of the seasons from the 28th of November to last night,
    Picked up wins against Wolves, Spurs & Palace failed to beat Brighton, Fulham,Westbrom, Newcastle, Southampton

Its just not good enough to retain the title, We have much harder fixtures now until the end of Feb ,United have Burnley , Us , Fulham and Sheffield United a huge chance for them to make a break at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Yes, we've been poor the last while but it's ALSO fair for Klopp to call out when he feels that the laws of the game are not being fairly applied across the board. Are you only allowed question the officiating when you're winning?

Other teams are close to us in the table when they've also being playing poorly - the difference being they're getting the rub of the green and the benefit of 50/50 calls, shall we say, and are drawing/winning games they could easily have lost/drawn.

Im not so sure.

I mean every manager in the game can come out and say after every game, well he missed that decision and he missed that other decision.

Thats football!

I dont agree with Klopp bringing up the whole Manu penalty thing last night after we have lost.

Whether hes right or wrong is irrelevant, bringing it up like he did when he did makes it look like Manu are getting into our heads. In his interview he dismissed the Manu game as just another game after we play Villa which we will think about then.

I smiled because thats exactly the line to take, dont even let them know theyre in your thoughts but he flips it 180 in the PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We had our easiest run of fixtures on paper of the seasons from the 28th of November to last night,
    Picked up wins against Wolves, Spurs & Palace failed to beat Brighton, Fulham,Westbrom, Newcastle, Southampton

Its just not good enough to retain the title, We have much harder fixtures now until the end of Feb ,United have Burnley , Us , Fulham and Sheffield United a huge chance for them to make a break at the top

your making the same point everyday on here.

everyone knows it isnt good enough.
    next 6 weeks will tell alot.

We have a good record against the top sides this season that needs to continue or else we will be out of the race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Hindsight is great but could have done with keeping Lovren another season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd near throw Philips and Williams in at CB and get Fabinho back into midfield. Midfield was awful last night without Hendo, he brings so much energy and pressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd near throw Philips and Williams in at CB and get Fabinho back into midfield. Midfield was awful last night without Hendo, he brings so much energy and pressing.

Should definitely test it against Villa in the cup.

Also last night our full backs were just too predictable. Swinging crosses in to a packed box was failing yet we did it for the whole game.

I think Trent took the only shot from outside the box just before he came off.

There was no variety to our play last night.

Our biggest win streak in the league is 2 games this season , ( we done that 3 times) but that is no where near good enough,
    Manger and players need to have serious look at themselves ,
    5 of the next 8 games are United, Spurs, City , Leicester ,Everton ,things could go from bad to worse very quickly

• Advertisement

Klopp reckons the players were not not good last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

dogbert27 wrote: »

Also last night our full backs were just too predictable. Swinging crosses in to a packed box was failing yet we did it for the whole game.

This has been the issue for the last three games. We have nothing through the center. Thiago was sitting so deep last night that all he was really able to do was pass it out to the wings. There was a moment where Salah was free on the edge of the box, he move and made space for Gini to pass it to him, and Gini went wide.

I think Thiago would have picked him out in that situation, but he was sitting farther back.

rob316 wrote: »

Id chance bringing on a 3rd sub every now and again also, maybe like an attacking player that started to show a bit of what he was capable of 3 games ago but hasnt seen a minute since. Maybe also have a player take a shot from outside the penalty area?

This is fast becoming the season where as a club we seem more obsessed with referees and being able to bring on 5 subs than anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

there is a bit of a paradox with liverpool at the moment. Yes we should have signed another or be looking to sign another centre half but centre half is the one position along with GK which is not having a bit of a crisis at the moment.

Teams have figured out how to neutralise us. They are dropping extra bodies into the box which makes crossing very difficult. Full backs are happy to give us the sidelines and sometimes even the box but they are stopping mane and mo getting onto their preferred foot time and time again. The D is completely swamped, there is no space for bobby to do his thing. The three of them look like they are running through glue at the moment but it is down to there being next to no space.

Jurgen needs to figure this out pronto

willabur wrote: »
    there is a bit of a paradox with liverpool at the moment. Yes we should have signed another or be looking to sign another centre half but centre half is the one position along with GK which is not having a bit of a crisis at the moment.

Teams have figured out how to neutralise us. They are dropping extra bodies into the box which makes crossing very difficult. Full backs are happy to give us the sidelines and sometimes even the box but they are stopping mane and mo getting onto their preferred foot time and time again. The D is completely swamped, there is no space for bobby to do his thing. The three of them look like they are running through glue at the moment but it is down to there being next to no space.

Jurgen needs to figure this out pronto

The two lads who played CB last night would instantly help with us going forward ,

People severely underestimating how much Fabhino is missed in midfield,
    He wins the tackles the set up counter's and so often makes the first pass that helps us get at teams ,
    He also sprays balls around far better than Gini or Hendo ,

Personally I think Bobby is starting to look finished , I think the summer we may see a new number 9 arrive

Everyone knows he doesn't carry a goal threat like he used to that but his link up play has also gone to the dogs,

He only seems capable of scoring headers these days and even at that he missed 2 great chances at Newcastle and one against Westbrom with his head, His never shoots anymore its so frustrating , He missed the target form about 5 yards last night when Salah was a judged to foul the keeper ,

• Advertisement

The two lads who played CB last night would instantly help with us going forward ,

People severely underestimating how much Fabhino is missed in midfield,
    He wins the tackles the set up counter's and so often makes the first pass that helps us get at teams ,
    He also sprays balls around far better than Gini or Hendo ,

Fabinho is missed in midfield alright, my point is more that its not like we are leaking stupid goals through the middle of our defence.

Thiago is in there as a passing midfielder meant to progress the ball and break lines (with his passing) but it wasn't as game changing (last night). Teams have adapted to that, even when mane got inside the box there was no way he was getting onto his right foot etc etc

Personally I think Bobby is starting to look finished , I think the summer we may see a new number 9 arrive

Everyone knows he doesn't carry a goal threat like he used to that but his link up play has also gone to the dogs,

He only seems capable of scoring headers these days and even at that he missed 2 great chances at Newcastle and one against Westbrom with his head, His never shoots anymore its so frustrating , He missed the target form about 5 yards last night when Salah was a judged to foul the keeper ,

IN fairness there was a loud blast of the whistle before he took that shot on. He knew it wouldn't have counted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Hindsight is great but could have done with keeping Lovren another season

So we could lose 2-0 last night?
    He's always good for a gift to the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Tactically I think we have looked lost the last 3 games. Both West Brom and Newcastle played against us with men behind the ball, defending compact and in a low block, a Mourinho favourite. We have struggled to create enough dangerous situations and clear cut chances in both games, despite all of the possession we are getting. I agree that we are struggling creatively through the middle. Usually to get around teams that set up this way you must switch play very quickly or you overload one side of the pitch to get in behind. We have been doing neither. Even when we get behind these teams we are not making the most of it. Balls being overrun out of play, crosses overhit or being played too far behind players. It looks to me the players are not confident and unsure in these situations, which is so strange. We have certainly been overplaying and maybe overthinking it when we get around the opposition penalty area. This is the reason I believe for our slow and ponderous passing and build up play. There is no speed or explosiveness to it. Everything looks laboured.

Against Southampton they set up differently. They came out and pressed us even when they were ahead. Yet again we struggled, this time in transitioning out of defence, despite having two midfielders playing CB. We had players there good enough to hit long passes or diagonal balls over their press yet we did not choose this option except when the players were pressed hard enough they had to punt it out of panic. We resorted to punting it long, most of the time overhit in to the hands of Forster. We have two speedy forwards in Salah and Mane yet didn't utilize this strength. For some reason both players playing back to goal and coming deep rather than looking to make runs in behind.

It is also worth mentioning the defence. Collectively we look ponderous and slow. Defence seems to be programmed to stand off players. Trent in particular is consistently defending too loose. Something seems off with him. He is making more mistakes defensively than he ever did and his attacking output is nowhere near the levels we are used to seeing. His performances and form are a major worry. His body language is all wrong. Didn't like to see his little sulk some games ago when he got subbed off after putting in a terrible performance.

Look we can continue to make excuses about officiating and injuries all season. For me they are deflecting away from clear issues with the team and manager. Our performances are either extremely good or extremely bad this year. We either look great or terrible. It is hard to explain the huge variance in performances with largely the same players playing. It certainly can't be explained away by blaming officiating, or losing CB's to injury, or blaming Adrian.

A decision needs to be made on the CB situation. Klopp either puts his faith on the young players or the club go out and get one in January. Relying on putting Fab and Henderson there is certainly hurting us. Trent's form needs addressing. For me he can't continue being an automatic starter in his current form. He is not producing it offensively to make up for the ever increasing mistakes he is making defending. We desperately need a confidence booster. Utd game is of huge significance for the season. It has become a must win for me, given the form City and Utd are currently in relative to ours.

another point from last night, our management of the match officials was bad from 1st minute
    Thiago having a whinge in the first minute contributed to the ref booking him, robbo gave him lip soon afterwards. You could see the ref making up his mind that he was not going to give us anything from there on in. We have to be better at that. Its one thing losing the rag in the last 10 mins but in the first 10+ you should be as good as gold

• Advertisement

The players might be like the rest of us, just not at 100% due to covid and life not being as it was/should be. They are all earning huge sums no doubt but their lives have changed in unprecedented ways.

Also VVD missing is likely a huge factor...... the season he joined us we finished on 75 points...... Alisson joined that summer and the following two seasons we finished on 97 and 99 points.

Without one or both of them we seem to have gone back to being a 2ppg ish team. The good news is that 2ppg might well win the 2020/2021 PL title.

So what do we do v Villa do we go strong or second string, 8 days rest till the United game ,
    Be nice to see Keita back not sure if he will be fit ,

the kelt wrote: »
    Im not so sure.

I mean every manager in the game can come out and say after every game, well he missed that decision and he missed that other decision.

Thats football!

I dont agree with Klopp bringing up the whole Manu penalty thing last night after we have lost.

Whether hes right or wrong is irrelevant, bringing it up like he did when he did makes it look like Manu are getting into our heads. In his interview he dismissed the Manu game as just another game after we play Villa which we will think about then.

I smiled because thats exactly the line to take, dont even let them know theyre in your thoughts but he flips it 180 in the PC.

I do agree that he shouldn't have named any team, especially Utd. Pretty sure Leicester, for example, have gotten more pens than Utd, even, so he shouldn't be naming teams.

But I think he's dead right to point out that our forwards get very, very few decisions when constantly being man-handled. Then throw in random no-check decisions like Walcott on Milner last night, and the biggest of all (Pickford on VVD) in the derby, and it's infuriating. It's no harm for Klopp to highlight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

SlickRic wrote: »
    Southampton deserved it. I think we all agree with that.

But the lack of decisions we're getting is concerning. It's downright baffling.

It is bizarre.

I believe the refs believe Salah and Mané are divers.

Look at Mariner have a go at Salah after he complains about the arms around his neck first half. It's fúcking insane.

Look at the last couple of minutes when Mane is booked, and the armlock Walker-Peters has on him before it.

Look at West Brom, and the full back with a full on grab around Salah's waste.

And its effecting decisions about other players and incidents.

Look at Walcott's fúcking mental challenge on Milner. Nothing.

There is no agenda against Liverpool. But I believe the narrative around Salah last year hasn't helped.

Also, the way they play doesn't help. Referees can't see everything, so they look for visual clues for fouls. Our forwards tend to be in contact with their defenders, trying to roll them. That leads to holding and tugs. Referees simply just don't buy those fouls as regularly as attackers who are running freely on the counter and are clipped.

Either way, we're having a fúcking Twilight Zone season.

No CBs essentially.
    Thiago for 2 games.
    Trent out for a month, and now off colour.
    Alisson out for a couple of weeks.
    Hendo the same.
    Jota for 8 weeks.

Plus the weird refereeing decisions.

What drives me mad is that a GK just needs to hit the deck for a foul to be called. Fraser Forster spilled one catch over his own CB with Salah caught in between, he completely misjudged the flight of the ball.

Of course then whistle goes and it's a free out. Happens so often. The game should continue and VAR should rule on it afterwards whether it's a foul or not.

So what do we do v Villa do we go strong or second string, 8 days rest till the United game ,

Seeing that we look like crap when we have had a break and there is 8 days before the United match, surely we go strong and try to win the match. It is about gaining momentum and confidence for the team and I am sure they will want to show the previous result was an outlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Last night was a game that Jota would have made an impact on. We cannot get him back quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

It's not about the villa game, it's the one or two after that that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

14 different CB partnerships now used this season. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a 15th or 16th different partnership used this season.

Matip & Fabinho is the most commonly used partnership, with 6 games, and even at that it wasn't even a full 6 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Tactically I think we have looked lost the last 3 games. Both West Brom and Newcastle played against us with men behind the ball, defending compact and in a low block, a Mourinho favourite. We have struggled to create enough dangerous situations and clear cut chances in both games, despite all of the possession we are getting. I agree that we are struggling creatively through the middle. Usually to get around teams that set up this way you must switch play very quickly or you overload one side of the pitch to get in behind. We have been doing neither. Even when we get behind these teams we are not making the most of it. Balls being overrun out of play, crosses overhit or being played too far behind players. It looks to me the players are not confident and unsure in these situations, which is so strange. We have certainly been overplaying and maybe overthinking it when we get around the opposition penalty area. This is the reason I believe for our slow and ponderous passing and build up play. There is no speed or explosiveness to it. Everything looks laboured.

Against Southampton they set up differently. They came out and pressed us even when they were ahead. Yet again we struggled, this time in transitioning out of defence, despite having two midfielders playing CB. We had players there good enough to hit long passes or diagonal balls over their press yet we did not choose this option except when the players were pressed hard enough they had to punt it out of panic. We resorted to punting it long, most of the time overhit in to the hands of Forster. We have two speedy forwards in Salah and Mane yet didn't utilize this strength. For some reason both players playing back to goal and coming deep rather than looking to make runs in behind.

It is also worth mentioning the defence. Collectively we look ponderous and slow. Defence seems to be programmed to stand off players. Trent in particular is consistently defending too loose. Something seems off with him. He is making more mistakes defensively than he ever did and his attacking output is nowhere near the levels we are used to seeing. His performances and form are a major worry. His body language is all wrong. Didn't like to see his little sulk some games ago when he got subbed off after putting in a terrible performance.

Look we can continue to make excuses about officiating and injuries all season. For me they are deflecting away from clear issues with the team and manager. Our performances are either extremely good or extremely bad this year. We either look great or terrible. It is hard to explain the huge variance in performances with largely the same players playing. It certainly can't be explained away by blaming officiating, or losing CB's to injury, or blaming Adrian.

A decision needs to be made on the CB situation. Klopp either puts his faith on the young players or the club go out and get one in January. Relying on putting Fab and Henderson there is certainly hurting us. Trent's form needs addressing. For me he can't continue being an automatic starter in his current form. He is not producing it offensively to make up for the ever increasing mistakes he is making defending. We desperately need a confidence booster. Utd game is of huge significance for the season. It has become a must win for me, given the form City and Utd are currently in relative to ours.

I said it last night but I think the VVD injury is having a bigger toll on this team than either Liverpool fans or Klopp want to admit.

The way Liverpool set up last season with their defensive line pretty much starting in the oppositions half made them impossible to play against. The way Salah and Mane play they actually lose the ball 3/4 times in a row before they pull something off and either get a shot a way and score or at least test the keeper. But last year it didn't matter when Salah or Mane lost possession because Liverpool were playing so high up the field they won it back almost instantly and Mane or Salah were having another crack at the defence often within 30 seconds of losing it and teams just got worn out trying to deal with them. Another reason why Liverpool scored a huge amount of goals after the 75 minute last year. Salah and Mane are losing the ball now this season and often going 20 minutes without getting it back in a dangerous position.

On top of that its his affect on the defenders around him. TAA has never been able to defend hence why playing most of the game in the oppositions half suited him as he hates dealing with defenders on the edge of his own box. But with VVD he was somewhat assured that he had a world class centre half there to protect him as he does have at least one lapse per game. Likewise with Gomez, Gomez gets a lot of stick for goals conceded last season but if you look at some of those goals the initial mistake comes from Trent and Gomes ends up in no mans land. Now Trent looks shot of all confidence as his knows his defensive weakness is going to be exposed when he goes out and its now affecting his attacking play as his is trying to hard to make up for his lapses down the other end.

I cant see this season improving much for Liverpool unless they completely overhaul the way they set up. They will still finish well inside the top 4 with around the 75 point mark but its City’s title to lose this year. City could go on a run of 10/11 wins on the trot now and there no other team in the PL capable of that this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I said it last night but I think the VVD injury is having a bigger toll on this team than either Liverpool fans or Klopp want to admit.

The way Liverpool set up last season with their defensive line pretty much starting in the oppositions half made them impossible to play against. The way Salah and Mane play they actually lose the ball 3/4 times in a row before they pull something off and either get a shot a way and score or at least test the keeper. But last year it didn't matter when Salah or Mane lost possession because Liverpool were playing so high up the field they won it back almost instantly and Mane or Salah were having another crack at the defence often within 30 seconds of losing it and teams just got worn out trying to deal with them. Another reason why Liverpool scored a huge amount of goals after the 75 minute last year. Salah and Mane are losing the ball now this season and often going 20 minutes without getting it back in a dangerous position.

On top of that its his affect on the defenders around him. TAA has never been able to defend hence why playing most of the game in the oppositions half suited him as he hates dealing with defenders on the edge of his own box. But with VVD he was somewhat assured that he had a world class centre half there to protect him as he does have at least one lapse per game. Likewise with Gomez, Gomez gets a lot of stick for goals conceded last season but if you look at some of those goals the initial mistake comes from Trent and Gomes ends up in no mans land. Now Trent looks shot of all confidence as his knows his defensive weakness is going to be exposed when he goes out and its now affecting his attacking play as his is trying to hard to make up for his lapses down the other end.

I cant see this season improving much for Liverpool unless they completely overhaul the way they set up. They will still finish well inside the top 4 with around the 75 point mark but its City’s title to lose this year. City could go on a run of 10/11 wins on the trot now and there no other team in the PL capable of that this year.

I agree to a certain extent. Vvd is a loss no doubt. I completely agree about the high defensive line being an integral part of our success last season. It looked to me like we tried to play higher again at the start of this season, probably with having Thiago in the team giving less risk of losing possession but it was causing us problems. Teams were getting into positions quite easily against us involving footraces between attacker and a solitary defender to get in 1v1. I think the Villa game caused management to have a rethink. Don't forget Vvd played that night.

The higher line started causing us problems at the start of the season for a few reasons. We had 3 attackers, both fullbacks and two and sometimes all 3 midifelders pressing. Teams found if they moved the ball quickly enough and clip the ball over our midfield they could get possession well in behind our midfield and fullbacks. Teams left a player such as Grealish for Villa around the centre circle who would often receive these clipped balls over the top in acres of space. It then left one of the CB's with the decision of whether to go to him or stand off. Issue I saw was Gomes was continuously getting drawn further towards the ball leaving half the length of a pitch for an attacker to run in behind him. Our midfield and fullbacks were never in a position to help out.

I think Klopp wanted a slight readjustment but before he could implemenet it Vvd and Gomes were lost to injury very quickly. I think he is compensating for their loss by playing a deeper line again which has had a massive impact on our press and ability to quickly win possession back. I presume the theory was to help protect Fab and the young lads from being too exposed and he doesn't have the same faith in them. It is very noticeable how passive we have become without the ball. There is more than one way to play though. It is now exposing how reliant we were on that tactic. What the last few games have highlighted is that we are not very good on the ball when let have it. I wouldn't be surprised if stats showed us having more possession in games than ever but creating less opportunities than before. We need a decent plan B or we take the risk and revert to the high line again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Gonna just leave this here. I’m not one to moan and bitch but all were asking is for fair application of the rules & VAR. So far this season we have been let down massively in this respect

https://www.givemesport.com/1634952-liverpool-a-full-list-of-the-16-refereeing-decisions-that-have-gone-against-them-this-season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Strange vibe between Mane and Salah, didn't see one pass between them in last 4 games. I'm sure there was...... but seems to be a tension there, very little linking, both playing an individual game of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They passed between each other last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

They passed between each other last night.

Too much passing if anything, I just wish they'd bloody shoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Shanee. wrote: »
    Gonna just leave this here. I’m not one to moan and bitch but all were asking is for fair application of the rules & VAR. So far this season we have been let down massively in this respect

https://www.givemesport.com/1634952-liverpool-a-full-list-of-the-16-refereeing-decisions-that-have-gone-against-them-this-season

It's been open season on the 2 speed merchants recently, particularly Mane. Been kicked, pulled, dragged, knocked continuously by most teams, especially over the last 6 to 8 weeks. Zero protection from the referees.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Kelleher

Neco Nat Rhys Milly

Ox Jones Clarkson

Shaq Taki Origi

Tell them perform well here you're playing against Utd

paulie21 wrote: »
    Kelleher

Neco Nat Rhys Milly

Ox Jones Clarkson

Shaq Taki Origi

I think Thaigo needs to play for fitness and sharpness,

id love a new CB for this one ,

paulie21 wrote: »
    Kelleher

Neco Nat Rhys Milly

Ox Jones Clarkson

Shaq Taki Origi

But whats the point in telling them that?

You, me, them everyone knows play well and they still probably wont get a game against utd.

Case in point being Minamino who probably played his best game for us against Palace and hasnt seen a minute since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

the kelt wrote: »
    But whats the point in telling them that?

You, me, them everyone knows play well and they still probably wont get a game against utd.

Case in point being Minamino who probably played his best game for us against Palace and hasnt seen a minute since.

I've seen this mentioned a fair few times - he was alright, but wouldn't say it was anywhere near his best game, and he was quiet enough after his goal for large parts. Wasn't bad by any means, but it wasn't exactly a barnstorming performance to blast his way into the team either... I'm surprised he's not come off the bench in the recent games, given how bad we've been, but I'd still judge Shaqiri to be the more likely - and more influential - inclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I agree to a certain extent. Vvd is a loss no doubt. I completely agree about the high defensive line being an integral part of our success last season. It looked to me like we tried to play higher again at the start of this season, probably with having Thiago in the team giving less risk of losing possession but it was causing us problems. Teams were getting into positions quite easily against us involving footraces between attacker and a solitary defender to get in 1v1. I think the Villa game caused management to have a rethink. Don't forget Vvd played that night.

The higher line started causing us problems at the start of the season for a few reasons. We had 3 attackers, both fullbacks and two and sometimes all 3 midifelders pressing. Teams found if they moved the ball quickly enough and clip the ball over our midfield they could get possession well in behind our midfield and fullbacks. Teams left a player such as Grealish for Villa around the centre circle who would often receive these clipped balls over the top in acres of space. It then left one of the CB's with the decision of whether to go to him or stand off. Issue I saw was Gomes was continuously getting drawn further towards the ball leaving half the length of a pitch for an attacker to run in behind him. Our midfield and fullbacks were never in a position to help out.

I think Klopp wanted a slight readjustment but before he could implemenet it Vvd and Gomes were lost to injury very quickly. I think he is compensating for their loss by playing a deeper line again which has had a massive impact on our press and ability to quickly win possession back. I presume the theory was to help protect Fab and the young lads from being too exposed and he doesn't have the same faith in them. It is very noticeable how passive we have become without the ball. There is more than one way to play though. It is now exposing how reliant we were on that tactic. What the last few games have highlighted is that we are not very good on the ball when let have it. I wouldn't be surprised if stats showed us having more possession in games than ever but creating less opportunities than before. We need a decent plan B or we take the risk and revert to the high line again.

Yes, like all systems opposition teams will evolve and your edge will be gone. That high defensive line was a game changer last season for this team, it can still be hugely effective but if you don't have the personal or if your players on the field are lacking confidence in the system it can be a disaster (Villa 7-2)! The only other team that set up like Liverpool is Bayern and although they are winning and top of the league, they are conceding a huge amount of goals this season as teams are finding their away around it. Difference been though the standard of the rest of the teams in Germany in quite poor compared to the EPL so Bayern wont get caught out to often.

I think Klopp knows he needs to come up with something different as his frustration is very visible these days. The UTD game could be interesting as they smell blood and if they go for it that could play into Liverpool's hands as I feel Klopp would love noting more than an open expansive game to change the record at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement