Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The decline set in after the COVID break. There was something amiss there. Klopp was mad out for the 101 points record, but the lads were a bit too laid back, especially in the Burnley game.

The other issue is that teams have found out that we can't beat a 5-5-0 or 5-4-1 formation if it stays tight and within 30m of their own goal. They're quite happy to get a point from the best team over the past 2 years and they don't care how they play to get it. It's a bonus point that they're not expecting. Stick in a fast forward and they have the chance of a quick counter. Pretty basic stuff.

West Germany, and to an extent Germany in the early 90's had a tactic to counter that. They'd play the ball around the back 5 (4 backs plus a Libero) and very slowly move backwards, dragging the opposition apart and stretching them, slowing the ball right down. They'd then hit them on the attack and always had decent strikers to have a shot; Voller, Klinsmann, Rummenigge. We need something like this, we have the players in Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago who can control tempo and pace, so maybe something like this is an option.

Klopp needs to devise something else to counter this. Someone in the past day put up a good synopsis of it; we are playing more cautiously than the days of 'heavy metal football'. In reality we can only expect teams to stretch themselves agaiinst us if they are a top 6-8 team and are playing at home. All other teams, including Man Utd can sit back and watch us tikka-takka the ball into the box and score nothing.

Forget the refs, if they're giving us nothing then that's that. I agree that Klopp shouting at them permanently isn't helping, in fact it's detrimental. He needs to button up more often and choose a gameplan to counter the tactic that the other managers have chosen to use on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

the kelt wrote: »
    I actually agree with ye in regards to shaq.

But it isn’t a case of Mina or Shaq blasting their way into the starting 11 or anything of the sort.

But throw them on and see can they bring something different when what’s on the pitch isn’t working offensively.

West Brom game saw us bring ox on 83 and origi in injury time

Newcastle shaqiri brought on 2 minutes into injury time

Last night shaq on 80 mins and no one else.

It’s not a case of giving offensive players minutes for the sake of it, it’s trying something different because what’s on the pitch isn’t working.

Yeah, would agree with that - though Shaq came on last night on 57 minutes, and Milner came on at 77. The Shaq move last night was what I'd like to see more of, and thought we improved immediately. He got involved far more than Ox had.

It's still all about CB though. Need better options there to free up our best midfielders to play in midfield.

Was thinking Ajer from Celtic might be a good option to go get. Very good player with a high ceiling, only 22, and Celtic's season is basically over now. Skip the Southampton middleman and go straight to the VVD source!
    This sounds crazy but is Costa fit ?
    Surely he'd be worth a punt for 6 months , especially since teams are camping in there own 6 yard box against us ,
    He cant be any worse than Origi or Taki

Nah, no interest in him. Doesn't score goals anymore, has lost his mobility and burst of pace, and is very injury prone. He's a very old 32. And for all that he'd want a lot of money.

I think he's barred from joining a Champions League rival for this season anyway, so I think it's off the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Jeez lads, the last few pages here are like something from Blue Moon.
    We've been sh1te the last 3 games, especially in front of goal. That's why we've gotten 2 points from 9, not because of anything untoward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

.red. wrote: »
    Jeez lads, the last few pages here are like something from Blue Moon.
    We've been sh1te the last 3 games, especially in front of goal. That's why we've gotten 2 points from 9, not because of anything untoward.

How many times does it need to be said that 2 things can both be true? Nobody saying the refs have been poor also believes that we've played well, we've been shíte but that doesn't excuse some extremely bad refereeing.

How many times does it need to be said that 2 things can both be true? Nobody saying the refs have been poor also believes that we've played well, we've been shíte but that doesn't excuse some extremely bad refereeing.

Personally I didnt think either shout last night was a penalty. The Mane one against Newcastle should have been tho.
    There's been talk of back handers here for penalties. It's real blue moon stuff.

There's been talk of back handers here for penalties. It's real blue moon stuff.

Literally only coming from Toby though, and if you've ever spent more than two minutes in this thread you know better than to register a single thing he says :p

Wasn't gonna bother with this but it's still pissing me off and I need the closure so whatever, here we go :o

Nothing called here

giphy.gif

Or here

giphy.gif

Or here

giphy.gif

Or here

giphy.gif

Or here

giphy.gif

And here's the foul that Southampton got their goalscoring free kick from:

giphy.gif

Okay I'm done, that's my say on the matter, just had to get it out of my system, hopefully I'll be posting gifs of the young lads scoring goals this weekend :p

Literally only coming from Toby though, and if you've ever spent more than two minutes in this thread you know better than to register a single thing he says :p

Yes I should have known better coming from Toby.
    I see the clowns are back thanking posts again now we've conceded the league to Utd.
    There's only one team I fear in the league and that's City. They've been very efficient the last 4/5 weeks and seem to have gone under the radar a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

KevRossi wrote: »
    The decline set in after the COVID break. There was something amiss there. Klopp was mad out for the 101 points record, but the lads were a bit too laid back, especially in the Burnley game.

The other issue is that teams have found out that we can't beat a 5-5-0 or 5-4-1 formation if it stays tight and within 30m of their own goal. They're quite happy to get a point from the best team over the past 2 years and they don't care how they play to get it. It's a bonus point that they're not expecting. Stick in a fast forward and they have the chance of a quick counter. Pretty basic stuff.

West Germany, and to an extent Germany in the early 90's had a tactic to counter that. They'd play the ball around the back 5 (4 backs plus a Libero) and very slowly move backwards, dragging the opposition apart and stretching them, slowing the ball right down. They'd then hit them on the attack and always had decent strikers to have a shot; Voller, Klinsmann, Rummenigge. We need something like this, we have the players in Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago who can control tempo and pace, so maybe something like this is an option.

Klopp needs to devise something else to counter this. Someone in the past day put up a good synopsis of it; we are playing more cautiously than the days of 'heavy metal football'. In reality we can only expect teams to stretch themselves agaiinst us if they are a top 6-8 team and are playing at home. All other teams, including Man Utd can sit back and watch us tikka-takka the ball into the box and score nothing.

Forget the refs, if they're giving us nothing then that's that. I agree that Klopp shouting at them permanently isn't helping, in fact it's detrimental. He needs to button up more often and choose a gameplan to counter the tactic that the other managers have chosen to use on us.

A huge help would to have a proper number 9
    Cryingn out for years for a proper CF as an alternative to Firmino, Jota been great but he's a alternative to one of the wingers we need a proper CF for when we are peppering the box with crosses and attacks

• Advertisement

Wasn't gonna bother with this but it's still pissing me off and I need the closure so whatever, here we go :o

Nothing called here

giphy.gif

Or here

giphy.gif

Or here

giphy.gif

Or here

giphy.gif

Or here

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Okay I'm done, that's my say on the matter, just had to get it out of my system, hopefully I'll be posting gifs of the young lads scoring goals this weekend :p[/QUOTE

The second foul on Mane where he bear hugs him is a penalty as both of them have there feet on the line which counts as in the box, Var never even m checked it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

you actually think this UTD side will win the league??? what ever about finishing ahead of Liverpool, they wont finish within 10 points of City and that is the facts of it...

How can u say that?? United are going along nicely, beating the likes of wolves and Aston villa lately, and even when things were bad United always beat the mid to lower half of table teams. They win there game in hand against Burnley which you’d fancy them too, there 3 points ahead. Say a draw against Liverpool. And they maintain there 3 point lead, but Liverpool have to win three games against the Nicky mouse teams, which there really struggling o do at the moment.. United have a great chance,. it’s the year of Covid, Liverpool ravaged by injuries, stranger things have happened. Winning is a habit and they were are getting late goals while not playing well and still winning, abit like Liverpool, sign of Champions to be. Last year United wud or drawn or even lost that game to Wolves 10 days ago we if it was last season.

How can u say that?? United are going along nicely, beating the likes of wolves and Aston villa lately, and even when things were bad United always beat the mid to lower half of table teams. They win there game in hand against Burnley which you’d fancy them too, there 3 points ahead. Say a draw against Liverpool. And they maintain there 3 point lead, but Liverpool have to win three games against the Nicky mouse teams, which there really struggling o do at the moment.. United have a great chance,. it’s the year of Covid, Liverpool ravaged by injuries, stranger things have happened. Winning is a habit and they were are getting late goals while not playing well and still winning, abit like Liverpool, sign of Champions to be. Last year United wud or drawn or even lost that game to Wolves 10 days ago we if it was last season.

United haven't played any of other 5 from the big 6 away yet and didnt beat any of them at home.
    Long way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yes I should have known better coming from Toby.
    I see the clowns are back thanking posts again now we've conceded the league to Utd.
    There's only one team I fear in the league and that's City. They've been very efficient the last 4/5 weeks and seem to have gone under the radar a little.

Only one or two pessimisticly demented souls on here have done this, though. I'd agree Man City are the team to fear this season, just like I thought at the start.

Strange how some of the Man Utd lads in my social circle have seemingly started watching football again lately, despite having "lost interest/grown out of it" over the past few years. I wonder will they still be interested/grown back into it, in May?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

You are right. Both things can be true and are. The issue I have with the constant talk of officiating, VAR, injuries and Covid is that it is deflecting away from things the team can control and supporters can discuss such as the form of players, tactics etc. Up until this game any attempt to discuss these issues have been batted away by the stream of posts about injuries and officiating, with posters who want to question players, management or tactics lazily being labelled entitled, whingers, complainers. We can continue to highlight perceived unfair officiating, our injury list, VAR or Covid all we want. We are not going to get sympathy from anyone or PGMOL to have a word with their officials. It serves no purpose other than to have our excuses ready if we don't challenge / win the title this year.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Only one or two pessimisticly demented souls on here have done this, though. I'd agree Man City are the team to fear this season, just like I thought at the start.

Strange how some of the Man Utd lads in my social circle have seemingly started watching football again lately, despite having "lost interest/grown out of it" over the past few years. I wonder will they still be interested/grown back into it, in May?

There's 2 lads I work with that I haven't seen since covid kicked in back in March. I genuinely hadnt heard anything football related from them in a long long time. Strangely they seem to be mad football fans again the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

Actually, what's baffling about the Walcott lunge on Milner is that you can see Klopp have literally no reaction - very odd. The likes of Mourinho would be doing a sprint down the touchline. The club, on the whole, has no concept of the dark arts, it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Nothing called here

giphy.gif

Or here

giphy.gif

Or here

giphy.gif

Or here

giphy.gif

Or here

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Okay I'm done, that's my say on the matter, just had to get it out of my system, hopefully I'll be posting gifs of the young lads scoring goals this weekend :p

That first one when Mane was running towards the byline just barely inside the box, is he stopping him from scoring a clear goal scoring opportunity, looks to me that mane had overrun it and the ball was going out of play for a goal kick so he flicked his legs back to make contact to make it look like he was clipped.. I hate seeing penalty’s been given when a ball is going out of play for goal kick from the edge of the box and the barely is barely touched and goes down. I think they should make the 18 yard box a little smaller as being fouled at the very corner of it, or at the byline barely inside the box, basically getting a free goal from that when it’s not like a player was hacked down just as he eas bout to shoot at an open goal. Same way that it a player takes a shot, it’s clearly going over, but it hits a players hand, it’s automicslly a penalty 90% chance of goal. Harsh. I honestly believe if ur followed barely inside the box at the bylines side it should be a freekick. Or as I said make the 18 yard box say a 16 yard box. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

United haven't played any of other 5 from the big 6 away yet and didnt beat any of them at home.
    Long way to go

Over the past few years where borderline perfection was requried, that would knock you out of contention. But this year, if you rack up the points against the bottom 14 and get a few draws against the direct competitors, you're in with a great shout.

That first one when Mane was running towards the byline just barely inside the box, is he stopping him from scoring a clear goal scoring opportunity, looks to me that mane had overrun it and the ball was going out of play for a goal kick so he flicked his legs back to make contact to make it look like he was clipped.. I hate seeing penalty’s been given when a ball is going out of play for goal kick from the edge of the box and the barely is barely touched and goes down. I think they should make the 18 yard box a little smaller as being fouled at the very corner of it, or at the byline barely inside the box, basically getting a free goal from that when it’s not like a player was hacked down just as he eas bout to shoot at an open goal. Same way that it a player takes a shot, it’s clearly going over, but it hits a players hand, it’s automicslly a penalty 90% chance of goal. Harsh. I honestly believe if ur followed barely inside the box at the bylines side it should be a freekick. Or as I said make the 18 yard box say a 16 yard box. Just my opinion.

First point - defender goes to ground with his left knee, then sweeps his left foot out and catches Mane's leg, breaking his stride. Nothing to do with Mane initiating contact.

Your second point is to do with the size of the penalty box - maybe a discussion for another day but absolutely 0% relevant when discussing if Mane should've had a pen last night or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Looks to me like he could get to it if not impeded. Not the point though. Foul is a foul no matter where the ball is on the pitch, or where it might end up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

One-tme liverpool academy kid Canos playing for Brentford. May or may not have been a harry/mike favourite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That some crazy speculation Toby.

Financially? I'm all ears to hear your theory on this

Any process involving humans is open to outside interference. It's a bit like games when Alex was manager of United, where at the end of the game they add on added time, but then add on Fergie time also.
    While the rest of the teams in the league only had added time.

It's influenced.

The VAR people who are in these studios know the score now, it's embedded in their brains. Give Liverpool nothing, take 15 minutes and come up with a reason to have them offside when in line. While with other teams it's done in 20 seconds.
    Give United every penalty they go down for. Give Liverpool none, even when VAR shows it's a foul.

Why is it happening? Liverpool fans have been very vocal in their disapproval of certain VAR officials, and those guys stick together, and now they are using their position of power to show who's boss .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Honestly I'm ok with the hand ball one not being given. Point blank and his arm isn't reaching for it. I know its inconsistent, but I'm not too annoyed.

HOWEVER. The foul on Armstrong... can't buy luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

The handball one was a pen back in September but they changed the rules in October so that stuff like that isn't one anymore. It's not inconsistency for that one, they literally changed the rules. Liverpool have not been good enough but Marriner was a disgrace last night and thats ok, he's a human too, they can have bad days at the office just like our players can and the manager can and anyone can really. PGMOL like to paint the narrative that they are right 98% of the time but its rubbish. Their refs can and do have mares, we saw one last night.

.G. wrote: »
    The handball one was a pen back in September but they changed the rules in October so that stuff like that isn't one anymore. It's not inconsistency for that one, they literally changed the rules. Liverpool have not been good enough but Marriner was a disgrace last night and thats ok, he's a human too, they can have bad days at the office just like our players can and the manager can and anyone can really. PGMOL like to paint the narrative that they are right 98% of the time but its rubbish. Their refs can and do have mares, we saw one last night.

All 3 penalty checks should have been reviewed on monitor. VAR kept ref away from monitor, by been to adamant '' nothing to see here''
    If Ref reviews the 3 of them, two are giving for sure.

VAR is against Liverpool, show of power from them. It's no different that cops, if you're in well with them all is rosy, if not they'll target you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

All 3 penalty checks should have been reviewed on monitor. VAR kept ref away from monitor, by been to adamant '' nothing to see here''

VAR is against Liverpool, show of power from them. It's no different that cops, if you're in well with them all is rosy, if not they'll target you.

just. wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

given the reaction to Klopp's comments I don't think i've ever wanted a last minute spawny penalty more from a Mane dive at Anfield on the 17th.

Or a absolute hammering will do too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Nalz wrote: »
    just. wow.

Even the Police are against Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Infuriating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It always, always puts a smile on my face when I see poster taking a Toby post seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

It always, always puts a smile on my face when I see poster taking a Toby post seriously.

And they keep falling for it,Never change Toby

Lads will come here, read a thousand posts, then read one of Toby's and go "I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL LIVERPOOL FANS ARE SAYING THIS"

Felix Uduokhai the latest CB linked
    6'4 23 years old Nigerian born but in the last German squad plays for Augsburg

Lads will come here, read a thousand posts, then read one of Toby's and go "I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL LIVERPOOL FANS ARE SAYING THIS"

AND it's representative of either all Irish-based Liverpool fans, or all Liverpool fans in the entire world, not just lads on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Handball incident - no idea how they are interpreted these days, initial reaction from what I've seen in other games is that a penalty would be given, they looked at it for 2 seconds and said no.

Mane Penalty - stone wall, clumsy from the Saints defender, he tried to get the ball, he didn't, got tangled up with Mane, clearly a free kick anywhere else, so by that metric, should have definitely been a pen. If the ref gave it initially zero chance it would be over turned.

Salah choke hold - if memory serves me right, i think the ball played to him was curled down the line and went out of play, therefore it was moot what happened to Salah, so if my recollection is right, I will say fair enough on that one.

Mane grapple - This Walker-Pieters guy was taking the piss and getting away with, clearly man handled Mane , couldn't be more obvious but somehow nothing given, talk out of it being on the line in the box I don't know about that, but definitely a free and maybe a pen I suppose.

Milner hatchet job - fcking hell, like seriously this was ridiculous, what the fck is the ref seeing here? Milner clearly gets a cross in before being hacked down and left lying in a heap, linesman is not far away either, worst decision of the lot, farcical.

Thiago foul - nothing in it, soft as fck.

All in all a complete sh1tshow from Marriner

brevity wrote: »
    Infuriating

Yep. It would be churlish to suggest that we should have gotten ALL those decisions, but the fact that Mr Jones posted so many and we got exactly none.... well, I dunno...:confused:

MattS1 wrote: »
    Even the Police are against Liverpool.

I have a Police record, I should know

c60b4cd21cbb597971bc8c1d5938bf16.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

I think we are paying the price for all the injuries we’ve had and the players had hit a wall. We need the players returning from injury Thiago, Shaq, Ox etc to step up straight away, not sure it has happened. Also we could do with a lift, if we got a center half in, give us more confidence in our defence, it would be a big help.

I really don’t see United as challenging for the league. In their biggest game of the seas9n they blew it in Leipzig. Once the Europa League returns, they will be playing catch up every weekend and have they the mental strength to keep coming back, I doubt it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Handball incident - no idea how they are interpreted these days, initial reaction from what I've seen in other games is that a penalty would be given, they looked at it for 2 seconds and said no.

Mane Penalty - stone wall, clumsy from the Saints defender, he tried to get the ball, he didn't, got tangled up with Mane, clearly a free kick anywhere else, so by that metric, should have definitely been a pen. If the ref gave it initially zero chance it would be over turned.

Salah choke hold - if memory serves me right, i think the ball played to him was curled down the line and went out of play, therefore it was moot what happened to Salah, so if my recollection is right, I will say fair enough on that one.

Mane grapple - This Walker-Pieters guy was taking the piss and getting away with, clearly man handled Mane , couldn't be more obvious but somehow nothing given, talk out of it being on the line in the box I don't know about that, but definitely a free and maybe a pen I suppose.

Milner hatchet job - fcking hell, like seriously this was ridiculous, what the fck is the ref seeing here? Milner clearly gets a cross in before being hacked down and left lying in a heap, linesman is not far away either, worst decision of the lot, farcical.

Thiago foul - nothing in it, soft as fck.

All in all a complete sh1tshow from Marriner

Curled out of play like the corner kick did near the end of the 1st half

Yeah ref said the ball curled out and back in, but also Salah's already being held as Ox kicks the ball so I'd say the foul occurs first.

Another couple of gas calls. The linesman was like a modern-day CAD.

Actually forgot about that one :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

It really helps to know the protocol before going full blue moon on it. The monitor is only used when the VAR is recommending an overturn.

They ask the ref what did he see happen, if what the ref says largely tallies with what they see on the screen then no further action is taken. If what the ref says is at odds with what they can see on the screen they'll advise him to take another look.

So If the VAR thinks the ref got it right he isn't telling him anything. We can deduce from this that both the ref and the VAR saw nothing wrong last night with anything the saw.

Whether that's right or wrong is a different discussion but the VAR isn't out to get us. It's just a system which is being used by the same inept refs who deny us, and other teams it must be said, things we think they shouldn't deny. And that's cos they aren't very good either on the pitch or when in the booth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The couple of short corners taken whilst in injury time has been ridiculous and brings back memories of Aspas.

Yes we're short of the ariel threat without our CBs but if that's the reasoning, why put so many crosses into the box during the game in the first place

I'm not here as long as most of you and I don't know him/her that well but I think he/she gets the benefit of the doubt when maybe it may not be warranted! I've read alot of stuff over the last year and quite alot of that has made me go "wow" too. Can literally say anything crackpot ish and folk just say it's a wind up. Maybe it isn't :D.

No offence Toby!

@.G.

Where you not Kerrigooney in a previous form?

Charlie19 wrote: »
    @.G.

Where you not Kerrigooney in a previous form?

Nope. I've been on boards since 2006 but only bothered with access to the soccer forum in 2018 I think it was. Maybe 2019. Not sure.

.G. wrote: »
    Nope. I've been on boards since 2006 but only bothered with access to the soccer forum in 2018 I think it was. Maybe 2019. Not sure.

Apologies. It's hard to keep up sometimes, you might have a similar name or something.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement