Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Apologies. It's hard to keep up sometimes, you might have a similar name or something.

I've had one name change on boards but it was before I joined soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Apologies. It's hard to keep up sometimes, you might have a similar name or something.
    .G. wrote: »
    I've had one name change on boards but it was before I joined soccer.

Isn't there a poster with a name that is just a 6 or similar to .G. with a few fullstops etc. or did I lose my mind this year?

Pretty sure I thought at one point .G. or 6 was having a conversation with themselves until I looked closer. Search function doesn't help find such a small name though.

Edit: Found him, posted the other day. I've probably combined them into one person when scrolling and just glancing at the names

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115793568&postcount=3604

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Haiku Toby was the best Toby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It makes me chuckle, hashtag lolz & almost rolleyes, at the people who then comment about how funny they find it when people "take Toby seriously".

I don't come on boards as often as I used to. Therefore I don't pick up on the "ah it's only <insert username> ignore" in order to then prevent the "they always fall for it haha then label us all crazy elsewhere" tribal comments that follow.

#honthetoby!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Isn't there a poster with a name that is just a 6 or similar to .G. with a few fullstops etc. or did I lose my mind this year?

Pretty sure I thought at one point .G. or 6 was having a conversation with themselves until I looked closer. Search function doesn't help find such a small name though.

Edit: Found him, posted the other day. I've probably combined them into one person when scrolling and just glancing at the names

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115793568&postcount=3604

I do this myself. I've seen things posted by 6 and go "I don't remember posting that" :D or people quoting him/her and think they're quoting me.

My desired username of just "G" was taken so I had to add the full stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Last year there was a narrative that City wasn't at their best due to the loss of Laporte.

With VVD gone though it's clear how much our game is gone. He could almost sit 10 yards back from the half way line on his own and mop up anything while the full backs and the midfield pushed up on the opposition.

Also his delivery of quick long diagonal balls to Salah that would launch a counter attack is sorely missing.

And his aerial threat at corners as the rest of the team are just short arses! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Last year there was a narrative that City wasn't at their best due to the loss of Laporte.

With VVD gone though it's clear how much our game is gone. He could almost sit 10 yards back from the half way line on his own and mop up anything while the full backs and the midfield pushed up on the opposition.

Also his delivery of quick long diagonal balls to Salah that would launch a counter attack is sorely missing.

And his aerial threat at corners as the rest of the team are just short arses! :)

I agree. There was a delayed reaction given just how good we are, but the loss of VVD is being fully realised now. It has knocked our setup off its axis.

We haven't just lost VVD from centre half, we've lost Fabinho from centre-mid, we now have Henderson looking back to protect the kids, instead of looking forward, Trent isn't his marauding best which has a knock-on effect for Salah ahead of him.

Added to that the other injuries to Tsimikas, Jota and Thiago means that the players needing a rest just weren't getting it and we are now struggling to build any rhythm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Whatever about all the other decisions, not even giving a free for the 'tackle' on Milner both baffled and infuriated me.

Shocking challenge, and I don't know how both the linesman and ref can miss that. Probably hard pressed to find two people aside from them who were watching the game and didn't think it was a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Okay, so we have been crap the past few games. Last year we got away with moments in games and having decisions go our way which meant we were able to keep winning. This year we are having bad luck with injuries and decisions from referees. No use obsessing over these as it will not change anything, but I will be complaining about them.

However we can only look forward and to ourselves to be better. So we have Villa on Friday, I would have been of the thinking to play the kids and whatever the result is it doesn't matter. But with us needing some confidence I think we go as strong as possible, with players resting that needs it. But if the likes of Salah or Mane or anyone else still is able to play they should.

We have 8 days off before the United match so it should leave enough time to rest for those playing on Friday and if any player is okay to play and isn't playing it would mean they have 2 weeks off between matches. Our record is patchy when our players are coming back from a break so I am worried about it. At the same time, I was wrong about what to do against Atalanta away, so whatever the management decides, they know more than me and I will be happy with their decision.

Just on the United match, we are playing once before we play them, they are playing 3 times before they play against us. There will be no excuses that our players are tired when we play them and looking at how teams have played when they play against a team that has been playing twice a week when they have had a week's preparation (City v Chelsea where City had their previous match postponed), it seems like there is quite a difference in how the teams can approach the match in terms of intensity. I hope this will be in our favour as we cannot complain about too much rest, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

"That's a fact? Probably, "That's probably going to be my answer, that's a fact that we've got more than them. I don't count how many penalties they've had, so if they want to spend time on worrying about when we get fouled in the box… I don't spend time on that."

"I can't talk on behalf of other managers, why they say things like this, I felt it worked last year in the semi in the FA Cup, because Frank [Lampard] spoke about it and we had a nailed-on penalty that we should have had, that we didn't get"

"So maybe it's a way of influencing the referees. I don't know. But I don't worry about that. When they foul our players it's a penalty when it's inside the box."

OGS getting his two pence worth to counter Klopp's jibe in early to prevent any decisions that may go against them next week. Klopp should have never brought UTD into his argument, he went down the Mourinho avenue with that interview!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

OGS getting his two pence worth to counter Klopp's jibe in early to prevent any decisions that may go against them next week. Klopp should have never brought UTD into his argument, he went down the Mourinho avenue with that interview!!

Yea he shouldn't have said anything about anyone else. It was a silly throwaway comment that you would normally hear on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

"That's a fact? Probably, "That's probably going to be my answer, that's a fact that we've got more than them. I don't count how many penalties they've had, so if they want to spend time on worrying about when we get fouled in the box… I don't spend time on that."

"I can't talk on behalf of other managers, why they say things like this, I felt it worked last year in the semi in the FA Cup, because Frank [Lampard] spoke about it and we had a nailed-on penalty that we should have had, that we didn't get"

"So maybe it's a way of influencing the referees. I don't know. But I don't worry about that. When they foul our players it's a penalty when it's inside the box."

Not sure if its because we are used to people like Jose but Ole's rebuttal was very poorly delivered ,

He had a chance to really bury Klopp and really kick start the Liverpool United rivalry but he kind of stumbled his way through what he said , poor show old mate poor show ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not sure if its because we are used to people like Jose but Ole's rebuttal was very poorly delivered ,

He had a chance to really bury Klopp and really kick start the Liverpool United rivalry but he kind of stumbled his way through what he said , poor show old mate poor show ,

I like that he brought Lampard into it - need it to be thrown to him for comment now, and have him bring Arteta or Rodgers in, get a good managerial royal rumble going. Someone snaps back at Lampard, and Jose rushes into the ring swinging a chair to protect his guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We can complain about injuries and bad refereeing decisions, but, the reality is we're simply not playing well, despite loads of possession we're not turning that into goals, we're not clinical enough in front of goal lately, we're creating opportunities, but, struggling to even hit the target. We've had the best schedule of any team over the Christmas against teams (bar Southampton) we should be beating easily, yet we're labouring to draws.
    There is no doubt that the injuries are taking their toll on the team and it will take time for lads who are coming back to get fully up to speed. I think Matip's injury was the final straw that broke the camel's back.

I think Klopp has also made a few strange decisions lately which haven't helped matters; playing Henderson at CB while starting 2 players (Ox & Thiago) who've barely played in the last few months. Putting Shaqiri on with time almost up against Newcastle, putting Williams on for Matip rather than Philips against WBA and no sign of Minamino since the Palace game despite him scoring a goal and having a decent game.
    I think we should try to win the Villa game as we need to get some confidence back in the team, the next few matches are crucial and will define our season, unfortunately our poor form has opened the door for City ( and possibly United) who looked very impressive against Chelsea. If we are behind them after we play them next month it will be difficult for us to close the gap as we'll be relying on others to do us a favour and we saw from 2 seasons ago that didn't happen for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Yes maybe a wasted opportunity on Klopp that shouldn't have been presented to him in the first place but I do love the fact he brought up Lampard!!!! Jasus I have a slight detest for that man...

Is the FA cup game on the BBC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Is the FA cup game on the BBC?

BT Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

We lost Jota for 2 months playing a meaningless game in Denmark. No first team player should play against Villa. Do we really care about the FA Cup? I understand us wanting to build confidence and look for a win coming up to the United game, but the risk of yet another injury is too much. We can put a team that contains no first team players but will still contain players that have played in the Premier League and Champions League this season.

If we beat United, that will bring its own momentum. For that, I don't have any problem with Klopp bringing United into the discussion and the no. penalties they are getting. Ole messed up tactically in Leipzing in their biggest game of the season so far, putting some more pressure on him helps us as far as I can see.

Get some minutes into the legs of Milner, Shaqiri, give Neco, Minamino some more game time vs. Villa and give the main lads as much rest before the United game. And start the game quickly for once!!!

It will be interesting to see over the next few months if Klopp’s comments effect how clubs get penalties will some clubs see it harder to get and some clubs find it easier to get.

One thing for sure those comments will be on officials minds during games.

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see over the next few months if Klopp’s comments effect how clubs get penalties will some clubs see it harder to get and some clubs find it easier to get.

One thing for sure those comments will be on officials minds during games.

I would like to say it cannot get worse...we got nothing from the Southampton match. So what is worse than having a soft free kick given against you from which you concede and then numerous other fouls ignored that is committed against you? You can only lose 3 points...whether they ignore 1 penalty or 3 in a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As much as Matip is needed for the game against Utd, for numerous reasons, I think having Keita back would also be a big boost.

I don't think it's a coincidence that some of the best performances this season have included Keita in the starting line up - the wins against Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester & Crystal Palace. He was also involved in the Wolves & Atalanta win, albeit not from the start. Now granted, this has to be balanced out with the Villa debacle where he was very poor and he wasn't seen again for a few weeks because he caught covid.

His ability to beat a man, progress the ball up the pitch and pick a pass will be very important in a game I expect Man United to sit deep in. He has a quickness in play while not possessing great pace and this quickness will be extremely important against a team that is well set. The labored passing of late is allowing teams to reset defensively lately and it is hurting the attackers have space and work good scoring opportunities.

Fitz* wrote: »
    As much as Matip is needed for the game against Utd, for numerous reasons, I think having Keita back would also be a big boost.

I don't think it's a coincidence that some of the best performances this season have included Keita in the starting line up - the wins against Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester & Crystal Palace. He was also involved in the Wolves & Atalanta win, albeit not from the start. Now granted, this has to be balanced out with the Villa debacle where he was very poor and he wasn't seen again for a few weeks because he caught covid.

His ability to beat a man, progress the ball up the pitch and pick a pass will be very important in a game I expect Man United to sit deep in. He has a quickness in play while not possessing great pace and this quickness will be extremely important against a team that is well set. The labored passing of late is allowing teams to reset defensively lately and it is hurting the attackers have space and work good scoring opportunities.

I' m hoping he is fit for the Villa game because he always struggles in his first one back , Its time for him to really step up to the plate,

Reports that Gini has rejected the club latest offer.

Seems he has his mind set on leaving to me.

That is fine...if he wants to play in another league or for another team then he has earned it. He never stays longer than 5 years at one club so maybe he just feels like he needs to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He’ll be nearly impossible to replace, but he’s given everything for us and was a huge part of our success over the last couple of seasons. I wouldn’t begrudge his last big contract elsewhere and if he does go, he’s handling his departure like a true professional.

I’ll still be devastated to see him leave though.

• Advertisement

Rudiger isn't getting games at Chelsea and seems to be on the outs with Lampard I wonder what's the chances of getting him on loan till the end of the season.

He would definitely want game time before the Euros as he is pretty much first choice for Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

- Salah has been fouled 11 times in 15 games this season
    - There have been 9 games this season where Salah has not been fouled
    - Salah has only been fouled once in the last six games
    - Salah has the most touches of any PL forwards so far this season with 798
    - His 11 fouls to 798 touches means that he has been fouled 1.4% of the time
    - That is the lowest rate of fouls to touches among PL forwards (min of 300 touches), with the next lowest being 1.8% (Werner)
    - The average foul to touch % among that group of PL forwards is 3.8%
    - That means that if he was treated like an average player he would have been fouled 30 times
    - Sadio Mane has had fewer touches than Salah (766) but been fouled 42 times (5.5%)

I heard he doesnt actually want to leave and hasn't signed for anyone yet that its more of a case of him gambling on Liverpool uping the wage,

So basically he wants to stay but he wants more wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Rudiger isn't getting games at Chelsea and seems to be on the outs with Lampard I wonder what's the chances of getting him on loan till the end of the season.

Is that a serious question?

Is that a serious question?

I thought it was a rhetorical one myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I see Ole lost another semi final, his 4th in a row? Remember when people used Klopps record in finals against him? At least he got there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

martyos121 wrote: »
    He’ll be nearly impossible to replace, but he’s given everything for us and was a huge part of our success over the last couple of seasons. I wouldn’t begrudge his last big contract elsewhere and if he does go, he’s handling his departure like a true professional.

I’ll still be devastated to see him leave though.

There's no one else like him out there at his level. But he's also one of our older players and no one lasts forever. I'd love to see us go for someone creative to push us forward like Maddison or Grealish but they'll be too expensive. Let's hope Edwards has a replacement lined up because our midfield needs a new injection of life in it.

It's not just Gini though I think Ox will go too in the summer. Keita is a maybe too.
    Will Milner move on?

Starting midfield could be Thiago, Fab, Hendo. Then there is Jones who's developing well.

I think we would be buying a squad midfielder in the summer as if we don't buy a CB in this window then that's where I see the majority of the transfer money going to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Keita should stay. We play so much better with him in the team when he is fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

The problem is that he doesn’t stay fit. Minamino is an option as well. But we need to reinforce in the summer. And we need a CB yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Fitz* wrote: »

His ability to beat a man, progress the ball up the pitch and end up injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

KevRossi wrote: »
    Keita should stay. We play so much better with him in the team when he is fit.

Third highest transfer I think, not that it can matter on the pitch, I don't think he will be going anywhere, he will contribute if he can get a run injury free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Keita's as fragile as Matip at this stage, can't be relied on as a starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think our best midfield 3 for this season will be Henderson/Gini/Thiago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Matip and keita unfortunately clearly aren't built for the demands of the Premier lge

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    I see Ole lost another semi final, his 4th in a row? Remember when people used Klopps record in finals against him? At least he got there!

Klopp had a few German league titles in the bag though. Big difference. Solsksaer is a nothing manager in terms of major silverware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

6 wrote: »
    Klopp had a few German league titles in the bag though. Big difference. Solsksaer is a nothing manager in terms of major silverware.

He's won a few Norwegian titles. OUtside of that, he;s only managed Cardiff so a bit harsh.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Keita's as fragile as Matip at this stage, can't be relied on as a starter

Maybe, the point I was making is that he will be at the club for the foreseeable, he is not saleable, hopefully he will get a good run as he can contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Bissouma from Brighton is the man to sign for our midfielder if Gini leaves.

Konate from RB Leipzig is a better fit for us than his team mate Upmecano at CB.

And think we will be genuine contenders for Mbappe with possibly Salah being sacrificed in order to afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Bissouma from Brighton is the man to sign for our midfielder if Gini leaves.

Konate from RB Leipzig is a better fit for us than his team mate Upmecano at CB.

And think we will be genuine contenders for Mbappe with possibly Salah being sacrificed in order to afford it.

how much would salah cost do you reckon?

said it in the utd or general thread, that only 2 clubs can afford mbappe...city and utd (and utd doubtful in fairness, money wise and for his career). liverpool if they offload salah/mane maybe. but who has the money for 1 of those, and if that club has the money they wouldn't invest in a 28 year old vs a 22 y/o.

i see you're also linked with sven botman, who's meant to be big up and coming CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

dogbert27 wrote: »
    It's not just Gini though I think Ox will go too in the summer. Keita is a maybe too.
    Will Milner move on?

Starting midfield could be Thiago, Fab, Hendo. Then there is Jones who's developing well.

I think we would be buying a squad midfielder in the summer as if we don't buy a CB in this window then that's where I see the majority of the transfer money going to

Keita and ox's contracts are up in 2023, that and their injury records definitely puts their position in question.

I seen Pearce saying today its looking like we will not sign a CB ,
    If we don't I think its awful thinking ,we have a chance to become the dominate force in English football , retaining the title would be huge we can't let last season be a one off we need to build on the momentum

If we don't I think its awful thinking ,we have a chance to become the dominate force in English football , retaining the title would be huge we can't let last season be a one off we need to build on the momentum

I'm still a bit annoyed at using Henderson as a CB on Monday.

Even though they are inexperienced it would have been better to have one of either Williams or Phillips start in their normal position beside Fabinho.

Henderson would have given so much more in midfield than Ox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

If there were gonna get a CB they would have had one by now, not gonna happen IMHO at this stage

• Advertisement

From his tweets it seems like we have identified targets, but the question now is are they available now and how much will they cost? Will you be happy to spend £90m on a CB just because we need one and the other club knows we are desperate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement