Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So the club know who they want however it just seems they can't get them in January, I'm ok with that as they have players they want.

I would say the two RB Germany CB's are the major targets and they were never going to sell now especially when they drew us in the CL.

Klopp just needs to play Matip with Fab when he is fit and when he is isn't he needs to play William's or Phillips not Hendo or Gini.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1347095181846319106?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Im not sure how Ben White would be one of our top targets & certaintly not someone you wait for the summer for.

Dont think he has been great at Brighton at all & not even played CB in a two at all. Played RB & in midfield alot.

Konsa at Villa for instance is far better
    Not so good waiting for a CB in the summer if we are in Europa next season. Which is unlikely but Matip will be out for majority of the season most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Signing one of our summer CB targets in January is hardly going to be an open and shut deal. If its a main target they are likely a key player for another team, possibly one of our competitors in the league or the CL. I would be hopeful that if we cannot get a club to part ways with a key CB now, that we will look to sign an experienced player like Matip/Klavan who can fill a gap for the remainder of the season.

1800-LOV-ERN anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

While I'd gladly like someone of Lovren's ability to come in for the 6 months, you just cannot trust him to stay fit. He seemed to always get injured when he was needed the most!

Keita and ox's contracts are up in 2023, that and their injury records definitely puts their position in question.

Keita is 26 in a few weeks, we paid £53m for him, he joined in July 18 ...... can't see us looking to sell him really.

Ox is now 27, if the club could get £20m for him he'll likely be sold IMO but I reckon he'll see out his contract tbh.

With Henderson getting on a bit (and Milner 35 now) it's not just CB that might need investment over the next few transfer windows, it's a shame Ox and Keita have the injury doubts etc but at any one time if one of them was fit and available it would be a huge help.

• Advertisement

jebidiah wrote: »
    ...........an experienced player like Matip/Klavan who can fill a gap for the remainder of the season.

1800-LOV-ERN anyone?

It's a VVD gap though, huge ask for anyone, fair play to Fabinho for stepping up. Lovren wouldn't have the mental strength for it. He might do more harm than good if he was still here with the clangers and brainfarts he was prone to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fitz* wrote: »
    While I'd gladly like someone of Lovren's ability to come in for the 6 months, you just cannot trust him to stay fit. He seemed to always get injured when he was needed the most!

He's not missed a game for Zenith so far I think.

Caulker is available for about £2m after having a pretty successful couple of years in Turkey his contract runs out in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

All well and good not signing a CB as it's financially responsible.

Financial responsibility seems to be the main aim as opposed to retaining our title.

F*cking hate seeing such crap about financial prudence like it's some kind of positive in this instance to be celebrated.

If you need to pay and extra 10 or 15million to sign your summer target now just bloody do it.

No doubt come summer time it won't be a RB Leipzig CB (Who is supposedly impossible now) it will be someone for 10million who will leave us wondering how the hell was it impossible to sign this guy last January.

If we miss out on the league it's poor form. We had so few months to plan knowing we would be without VVD and Joe Gomez. Complete bang of sell to buy about our club. No doubt the real reason is there are no longer any mugs out there to pay 20 or 30 million for the likes of Origi and Shaqiri.

No other major club would go through January so threadbare at the back, just wouldn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If we want to be financial responsible that fair enough but surely we could get someone in on loan who is better than Phillips or Williams ,
    Plenty of CC's around Europe not starting games or wanted that are miles ahead of them two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Caulker is available for about £2m after having a pretty successful couple of years in Turkey his contract runs out in the summer.

Internationally he has a 100% scoring record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bring back Raggy

It's negligence more than a gamble to not bring in a CB this window.

I can understand the wanting to make sure you buying the right player, instead of any player, as the repercussions can be high. But surely with 3 CBs out and the opening to bring in a CB now, you take that opportunity. The recruitment team must have had players in mind for the summer, so move early. Pay the extra 5m-10m if needs be. Fluffing around hoping that Matip, and Fabinho, stays fit is going to end in hurt IMO.

Fair enough maybe the CBs at Leipzig were in mind and now they are unattainable because of the CL draw but Liverpool have often moved onto their second target and that has worked out fine (Salah, Mane, Jota for example).

The only viewpoint on the other side of the argument I can see is that they view the number 1 target as the target and want to wait for him, as he will be a gamechanger. Just like they waited for VVD. And he was a gamechanger, in more ways than one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

They're hoping Matip will be back for the United game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Surely you could arrange a six month loan for a decent centre-back. Someone like Diego Godin from Cagliari or Umtiti from Barca.

Your standing in world football couldn't be any higher than currently, so you would imagine many experienced players would bite on a short-term deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

We were actually comfortable at the back the other night with henderson and fabinho there gave up hardly any chances. The problem is we miss both of them in the middle. Maybe in a couple of weeks with thiago up to speed and keita/ox up to speed. A midfield 3 of gini, thiago and keita will give us a functioning midfield. Phillips and Williams are nowhere near the level to play PL games.

We were actually comfortable at the back the other night with henderson and fabinho there gave up hardly any chances. The problem is we miss both of them in the middle. Maybe in a couple of weeks with thiago up to speed and keita/ox up to speed. A midfield 3 of gini, thiago and keita will give us a functioning midfield.Phillips and Williams are nowhere near the level to play PL games.

They already have played and were in winning teams.

As you said we were comfortable due to Southampton scoring early and playing a containment game for 88 minutes afterwards.

One of the two youngsters would have been better and have Henderson in midfield instead of Ox. Plus with Henderson on the right of midfield he would have given TAA a lot more help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

We were actually comfortable at the back the other night with henderson and fabinho there gave up hardly any chances. The problem is we miss both of them in the middle. Maybe in a couple of weeks with thiago up to speed and keita/ox up to speed. A midfield 3 of gini, thiago and keita will give us a functioning midfield. Phillips and Williams are nowhere near the level to play PL games.

Yes but Wes re loosing our two best midfielders because the had to move out of position. We are the best team in the world and are implementing Sunday league tactics.
    It is embarrassing

The two young lads can't or don't have the confidence to pass the ball to anyone bar fabinho. They are also incredibly slow.

• Advertisement

The two young lads can't or don't have the confidence to pass the ball to anyone bar fabinho. They are also incredibly slow.

Rhys Williams played in the win against Spurs. He sprayed a ball out left to Robertson which was similar to how VVD passes balls from deep which started the build up to Salah's goal.

Phillips played in the win against West Ham.

Either one of the could have played Monday night and have Henderson in midfield instead of starting with 2 midfielders coming back from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

My favorite thing about that is Stevies initial reaction, freaked he didn't get a pass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

So the club know who they want however it just seems they can't get them in January, I'm ok with that as they have players they want.

I would say the two RB Germany CB's are the major targets and they were never going to sell now especially when they drew us in the CL.

Klopp just needs to play Matip with Fab when he is fit and when he is isn't he needs to play William's or Phillips not Hendo or Gini.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1347095181846319106?s=20

The financially irresponsible part won't look so good if Matip gets injured again (and we all know how likely that is) and Liverpool's CL spot is under threat. Let alone the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Jota still wearing a Knee brace so he is weeks away from returning to training.

Klopp reveals TAA had Covid

Did he not say that a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Augeo wrote: »
    Keita is 26 in a few weeks, we paid £53m for him, he joined in July 18 ...... can't see us looking to sell him really.

Don't know how we are for money but the club usually at least try to offset buys with some income. He's made 50 appearances from 136.

He's great, I'm a massive fan. If he plays he makes us better usually. If he came back from this injury, his 3rd this season (I think), and stayed fit I will have a different view in the summer. If he continues to be absent at the rate he is now then we have to move on.

It's not his fault, it's not anybody's.

I agree with the rest. I think the next CB has to be bought knowing matip is unreliable and vvd and Gomez may never be the same again. Can't be a 4th choice. If that's not available now if take a loan.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »

It's the first I heard it stated publicly.

I'm guessing it was during pre season when he missed it.

Villas training ground shut down. Assume tomorrows game will be off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Let both teams field the U-18s.

Derby are being forced to play there under 23s and under 18's surely same rule for Villa ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Derby are being forced to play there under 23s and under 18's surely same rule for Villa ?

Could covid be in the u23s and u18s squad as well?

• Advertisement

If Villa u23 & u18s train separately, then let them play. Last thing I want is a postponed fixture to have to fit in.

Villa were happy enough to have to play Liverpool u18s last year in the cup as Liverpool first team had 2 games in 2 days on 2 different continents.

I think Derby are playing their youth team in their cup game.

Could covid be in the u23s and u18s squad as well?

ye that true but you'd imagine they don't train together that was the case at Derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I know several of my sons mates who are U18s and 23s at Derby are not allowed to train on site, they are doing online training and fitness etc. Surprised if they are in any state to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Play the youth team or it should be a walk over :pac:

Villa already have 2 postponed games to play as it is. There are not many other slots to play this game because FA Cup rd 4 is so soon, and Liverpool play in Europe so most midweeks are taken up.

• Advertisement

Fitz* wrote: »
    Villa already have 2 postponed games to play as it is. There are not many other slots to play this game because FA Cup rd 4 is so soon, and Liverpool play in Europe so most midweeks are taken up.

CL isn't back until middle of February.

I forgot about last season's Carling cup ,
    Pay back for Villa so play your kids like we did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, Klopp said that a bit over a month ago;

https://www.football365.com/news/klopp-lets-slip-alexander-arnold-test-covid

“We had a short pre-season and then all of a sudden, Trent is out with Covid, and he has to play early and he was not in the best shape in that moment. That can happen to all players.”

There had been some discussion on here if that had been part of his drop in form, but I suppose its hard to pin his present form on it so many months later, when he's also been out for an injury in the interim.

Still, Covid can really hit your concentration. I found that to be a fairly prominent problem for around 6 weeks after infection, but I believe it can be a longer term problem for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

CL isn't back until middle of February.

Only free mid weeks would be next week so if they can't play tomorrow is there a chance to play midweek? Other free mid week is in feb which is after the 4th round is scheduled to be played

Only free mid weeks would be next week so if they can't play tomorrow is there a chance to play midweek? Other free mid week is in feb which is after the 4th round is scheduled to be played

Villa have a league game midweek

Villa are playing Spurs on Wednesday next week. If the outbreak is bad then that could be a doubt as well.

Man City played the system a couple weeks back and got a few days rest after their training ground got closed for 1 day. It done them the world of good as the looked so much fresher against Chelsea.

I'm not saying that Villa are doing the same, but the thought is in this big cynical head of mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Are we thinking it’ll be a fairly strong line up tomorrow since we don’t play again until the following Sunday?

Kelleher
    Williams Phillips Fab Robbo
    Milner Hendo Jones
    Ox Mini Shaq

Something like that maybe? I think he may even see Thiago start to get him up to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

As long as they can field 14 players, including youth team players, then fixture has to go ahead AFAIK.

Are we thinking it’ll be a fairly strong line up tomorrow since we don’t play again until the following Sunday?

Kelleher
    Williams Phillips Fab Robbo
    Milner Hendo Jones
    Ox Mini Shaq

Something like that maybe? I think he may even see Thiago start to get him up to speed.

Can't see Hendo,Fab or Robbo starting but the rest of that team should be starting

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement