Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

As long as they can field 14 players, including youth team players, then fixture has to go ahead AFAIK.

Cue Dean Smith calling all the youth players up to Bodymoor to lick all the door handles then.

As others have said, they had no problem taking on our infant XI, let’s see what their reaction is this time now the tables have turned.

Obviously I hope all players and staff affected recover fully and don’t have any long lasting effects, should go without saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd guess that Liverpool want to play the game, even if it will be a lot of reserve players playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

God I'm out of the loop or incredibly forgetful. I didn't know Trent and Mo had covid19!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

cj maxx wrote: »
    God I'm out of the loop or incredibly forgetful. I didn't know Trent and Mo had covid19!

Yeah i cant remember Trent getting it but SALAH!!!:eek:

Will never get that video of his attempted dancing out of my head!!
    Stick to the footbal Mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Whatever team Aston Villa do field if the game goes ahead, Philips and Williams should start at CB, last thing we need is Fabinho getting an injury, let's face it, he's unlikely to get a break between now and the end of the season if he stays fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

cj maxx wrote: »

Trent, Mo ,Mane ,Thiago ,Tisimakas defo had it

Did Naby & Shaq also have it at one point ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Outbreak at Villa, game in doubt.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55575321

So who said theer was no winter break ?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Villa want the TV money they will put out a youth team if they forfeit the game they won't get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Obviously very different circumstances but it is some coincidence that it's the exact same opponents we were told to play the kids or forfeit against last season, which lead to all of this absolute nonsense:

auPluJw.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

There is no space to play Villa if they cannot play tomorrow. They have a game midweek and in all the slots until the 4th round, our calendar is packed so play any team that is fit or forfeit. I am absolutely gutted it has happened to Villa.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

That match will not happen tomorrow.

And why they insist on the FA Cup going ahead is beyond me.

We kinda of need tomorrows game a lot of lads need a game or two under the belts ,
    Be nice to play there kids our whole second choice a run out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Enzokk wrote: »
    There is no space to play Villa if they cannot play tomorrow. They have a game midweek and in all the slots until the 4th round, our calendar is packed so play any team that is fit or forfeit. I am absolutely gutted it has happened to Villa.;)

You sure? Not like they haven;t said play two games in two days before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We kinda of need tomorrows game a lot of lads need a game or two under the belts ,
    Be nice to play there kids our whole second choice a run out

Yeah, a few lads could do with time on the field alright. Love to play Phillips and R Williams at the back together - the more time they get to play the better. Kelleher, Shaq, Ox, Minamino, Neco, and Origi could all really do with minutes too. Would be nice to give Thiago another 30 as well, and maybe another start for Clarkson. Millie fills in at LB, and one of the more regular lads in CM to round it out - probably Curtis.

It shouldn't go ahead - the FA Cup in general shouldn't go ahead. But if we have to be in the competition, I hope we get to play tomorrow instead of trying to cram it in elsewhere in the calendar.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, a few lads could do with time on the field alright. Love to play Phillips and R Williams at the back together - the more time they get to play the better. Kelleher, Shaq, Ox, Minamino, Neco, and Origi could all really do with minutes too. Would be nice to give Thiago another 30 as well, and maybe another start for Clarkson. Millie fills in at LB, and one of the more regular lads in CM to round it out - probably Curtis.

It shouldn't go ahead - the FA Cup in general shouldn't go ahead. But if we have to be in the competition, I hope we get to play tomorrow instead of trying to cram it in elsewhere in the calendar.

I guess we will only know once we play again, but if we had a break now for 2 weeks to get well rested and some more fitness for the squad it could pay off later in the season. It all comes down to our results, if we lose it's bad, if we win then it was just what we needed. There is no way to know right now if this will be good or bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

The Villa news is not good news in my opinion. Not just the chance of covid transmission.

A win tomorrow is just another chance for injuries in a season that we're not halfway through. The next few rounds are close enough to big games. It just hinders our league and European chances even without injuries.

Klopp has spent the last few years pining for a winter break. This is his chance.

Can't understand how some supporters are happy to just drop out of the FA Cup, it's another trophy we can win, which we haven't won in a long time and with our form the way it is, it might represent our best chance of silverware at the end of the season. We had a great chance last year to win it, the league was already in the bag, but the performance against Chelsea was so poor it looked like they weren't bothered by it, a week or so later we were out of Europe and essentially had nothing to play for when we came back after the lockdown.

Seems like they will only decide hours before we are due to play if the match will go ahead,

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1347257403469926401?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Which is ludicrous. If they leave it until the day of the game to decide it should be a decision only between "play it or forfeit it". The league will soon be in a position it will have to do that too if more games get cancelled with nowhere in the calendar to play them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That's 3 teams now with a good few cases.

I wonder if the UK government will prioritise getting elite athletes vaccinated as they're a massive boost to the economy for them.

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    Which is ludicrous. If they leave it until the day of the game to decide it should be a decision only between "play it or forfeit it". The league will soon be in a position it will have to do that too if more games get cancelled with nowhere in the calendar to play them.

They have to play spurs in less than a week too - what happens to that game if they still have postive cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Can't understand how some supporters are happy to just drop out of the FA Cup, it's another trophy we can win, which we haven't won in a long time and with our form the way it is, it might represent our best chance of silverware at the end of the season. We had a great chance last year to win it, the league was already in the bag, but the performance against Chelsea was so poor it looked like they weren't bothered by it, a week or so later we were out of Europe and essentially had nothing to play for when we came back after the lockdown.

I agree with you about last season and in future normal seasons but we're playing on a cliff edge with injuries this year. Robertson or Henderson playing tomorrow and then being injured for utd just seems so wrong to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We're top of the league, into the knockouts of the CL, have an injury crisis and a jam-packed schedule.

Jacking off the FA Cup most years is sensible - this year it's almost essential that we endeavour to get knocked out as early as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We're top of the league, into the knockouts of the CL, have an injury crisis and a jam-packed schedule.

Jacking off the FA Cup most years is sensible - this year it's almost essential that we endeavour to get knocked out as early as possible.

I think there's a difference between actively trying to get knocked out, and not actively trying to win it.

I've no problem being in it, as long as the team selections are entirely motivated by giving experience to youth players, and minutes to fringe and recovering players who them.

I don't at all mind staying in if that group of players happens to win their match, but equally, if they lose thats grand too.

Though I suppose the unfortunate reality is that Klopp will risk one or two players none of us want playing, like happened in the Midtjylland game.

We've actually had a lighter schedule over Christmas than normal seasons, in the CL games we can play 5 subs, plus in the Midtijylland game, Klopp could easily have went with a weaker team and made changes sooner to reduce the risk of injury, even in the Palace game was there really a need to bring on Salah with the game already won!
    We have been unlucky with injuries, yet the use of substitutions has been poor in my opinion, leaving it very late in games before making any changes, this means that it's the same 12/13 players playing all the time, with some players like Minamino who have been available most of the season rarely playing when they could be used earlier in matches to give players a rest. It's small things like that which add up. Blaming the schedule is only an excuse, it's the same for all our main rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Maybe we just had the usual January blip earlier this year due to Covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Well this year the squad is hanging by a thread but we still have a good chance of winning the champions league and the league.
    The ya cup is not worth the effort for the prize money

Dean Smith & the Villa first team will be absent form the game tomorrow.

Villa will play their u23s and Mark Delaney will manage the team, if enough of them test negative.

So if Villa have 14 negatives, they play is what I take from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fitz* wrote: »
    Dean Smith & the Villa first team will be absent form the game tomorrow.

Villa will play their u23s and Mark Delaney will manage the team, if enough of them test negative.

So if Villa have 14 negatives, they play is what I take from that.

I hope our players don't celebrate like the Villa guys did last season when they beat our kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I hope our players don't celebrate like the Villa guys did last season when they beat our kids.

I remember seeing their celebrations and thinking that shows the level of those players, completely ott.
    Our goals should be celebrated, yes, but with a bit more respect hopefully, all 8 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

They way we're playing lately, beating their kids isn't a given! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Villa v Pool tomorrow so.

co-ed-kids-playing-soccer.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

KevRossi wrote: »
    Villa v Pool tomorrow so.

co-ed-kids-playing-soccer.jpg

That's what our first team will look like the way the injuries are going

Still taller than Shaq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If we're playing the Villa kids then our team should be:

Kelleher
    Williams - Williams - Phillips -Milner
    Ox - Thiago (for match fitness) - Jones
    Shaqiri - Minamino - Origi

Enough to win the game early and get Thiago off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Strange that Paddy Power do not appear to be listing the Villa v Liverpool fixture on their website - at least not that I can see.

Do they know something we don't?

Strange that Paddy Power do not appear to be listing the Villa v Liverpool fixture on their website - at least not that I can see.

I guess they have removed it as the teams that will be picked will make a massive difference to the odds and they have no idea what team will be available. Everything changes now as our team may change as well....just better for them to not offer odds until more information is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

If they play the kids then I hope we field a team of fetuses. If we can't make up the numbers if those then chuck some fertilized eggs on the bench, maybe aim to get them on for the last 20 mins .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I remember seeing their celebrations and thinking that shows the level of those players, completely ott.
    Our goals should be celebrated, yes, but with a bit more respect hopefully, all 8 of them.

I think yous are being a bit delicate here tbh, they scored goals and celebrated them, pretty standard stuff. They hardly have time to think what level of celebration can I perform here that will have enough respect for my opponents. Not like Liverpool will be expected to just give a gentlemanly handshake to each other if they score tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I think yous are being a bit delicate here tbh, they scored goals and celebrated them, pretty standard stuff. They hardly have time to think what level of celebration can I perform here that will have enough respect for my opponents. Not like Liverpool will be expected to just give a gentlemanly handshake to each other if they score tonight.

I hope we celebrate every goal against Villa like Adebayor V Arsenal, from now until the end of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

They are now, Villa at 11/1, us at 1/9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I think most people are focusing on Elmohamady's celebration after a massive deflection from a cross as if he just scored a worldie :D

aNsYrK7.png?w=150&resize=150%2C&ssl=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

RedRochey wrote: »
    I think most people are focusing on Elmohamady's celebration after a massive deflection from a cross as if he just scored a worldie :D

aNsYrK7.png?w=150&resize=150%2C&ssl=1
    I mean, probably worth a mention that Elmohamady has not scored very many goals for Villa. Any goal is a case for celebration for him. If one of the young lads comes in for Liverpool and scores tonight I don't think anyone will be giving it the 'how can he dare to celebrate against a Covid stricken Villa Under 23 team'

As for Kodjia, well that is a different story, but nobody likes Kodjia and he is long gone.

I'll take a wild swipe at the team looking something like this;

Kelleher
    Williams---Williams---Philips---Milner
    Jones
    Clarkson
    Ox---
    Shaqiri
    Taki
    Origi

Maybe take out Clarkson and move a more senior midfielder in there, or Milner even, with someone else lining out at LB. I don't think the Villa news actually changes a whole lot for Klopp and what team he picks. The likes of Williams, Philips, Milner, Jones, Ox, Shaqiri, Taki, Origi would all have started anyways and then fill in the blanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Definitely a positive that I hope we take full advantage of. Anyone who is a risk needs to be rested. Allison, Fabinho, Henderson, Salah, Mane, Firmino and Wijnaldum can all sit this one out and we should be fine

Not gonna lie, slightly disappointed all the same. Sort of wanted to see if we plugged the holes we showed against them at the start of the season

I wanted to see have we improved or learned from the 7-2 game,

I hope to god we don't mange to mess this one up now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I wanted to see have we improved or learned from the 7-2 game,

I hope to god we don't mange to mess this one up now,

It will be completely different teams. How can you benchmark the improvement?

And besides, hasn't every game since given evidence of improvement on that performance? Away form in terms of results is poor but that game was an aberration in terms of the result.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    It will be completely different teams. How can you benchmark the improvement?

And besides, hasn't every game since given evidence of improvement on that performance? Away form in terms of results is poor but that game was an aberration in terms of the result.

It will be different now but I think if it went ahead against there first team we would have went strong ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Fitz* wrote: »

Seems irresponsible

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement