Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Irritating to see Hoever about to come on for Wolves... got good money for him, but would have been invaluable to have in the squad now. Would've gotten plenty of time at CB and RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Irritating to see Hoever about to come on for Wolves... got good money for him, but would have been invaluable to have in the squad now. Would've gotten plenty of time at CB and RB.

Hindsight is great. Another year and he mightnt have gotten a look in for us and plays every other game for wolves. He'll develop far more there but hopefully we can get him back one day. Pity we couldn't have given Divock instead. His best days are behind him for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Jesus I didn't even know he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

If seeing utd go 3 pts ahead isn't a serious wake up call to us then I dunno what is, Sunday is now 100% must win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Ikozma wrote: »
    If seeing utd go 3 pts ahead isn't a serious wake up call to us then I dunno what is, Sunday is now 100% must win

City are miles ahead of them and playing way better than us at the minute, thats who i'd be worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Have no doubt we will easily win Sunday.

We are miles better than them and City are by far the biggest challengers for our title!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

robwen wrote: »

Can't believe Thiago speaks such good English. Also speaks Spanish, Portuguese and German. Anything this lad can't do?

No "stay fit?" jibes down the back, please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

If not sold he probably would have been off on loan since the summer anyway...or knowing our luck, out injured!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We are miles better than them and City are by far the biggest challengers for our title!

I hope we do, but, we haven't shown that in the last few weeks and United tbf to them have been getting the results lately, deserved or not.

Ikozma wrote: »

I'll still have them 3rd at the end of the season, but it'll be closer than I thought. Might actually be a "race".

Generally, they're playing poorly but winning, getting the VAR calls more often than not, getting the luck (deflected goals, penalties awarded after the final whistle etc), and no major injuries.

Liverpool, on the other hand, are playing poorly but not winning, not getting the VAR calls more often than not, not getting the luck (deflected goals against), and several major injuries.

Man City will be our major rivals, as others have said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Toby playing a blinder tonight and they are all falling for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Easily? Good luck with that. Will be a close game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Is say Utd will really fancy it. Win and they are 6 clear. The way we’re playing will give them every confidence.

MattS1 wrote: »
    Easily? Good luck with that. Will be a close game.

We'll see after Sunday.

Have total confidence that we will rise to the occasion and brush them aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

We'll see after Sunday.

I also have confidence we will do the same to yous. Game on!

Yeah, won't be easy at all. Never is, really, against Utd under Klopp's tenure anyway.

A scrappy 2-1 to us or a 1-1. Thiago is key, imo. With him in midfield we're a different proposition - without, we're workman-like and a good bit more predictable. The likes of Keita (is he available?) and/or Shaq could be important too, either starting or off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

SM01 wrote: »
    Likewise. It has become so predictable and easy to defend. And, while our front three are good in the air for their size, they're not target men like Giroud, and they're just so dangerous with ball to feet.

we are missing fab in midfield winning headers imo..

On a separate point, the General PL thread is a awful forum now. Full of gaslighting. Toxic.

United could only have dreamed of this situation a few weeks ago, coming to Anfield in good form, on top of the table, high on confidence with Liverpool out of form and beset with injuries. They'll relish the opportunity to end our unbeaten home record too. The real worry in recent weeks is that the players haven't really been able to raise their levels and if they can't raise their levels for a game against United then we really are in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Lads its ole solskjaers United, relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

doc_17 wrote: »
    Is say Utd will really fancy it. Win and they are 6 clear. The way we’re playing will give them every confidence.

Strangely that might play into our hands
    We are not as bad as we have been playing and i still reckon of you open up aginst us we can take you apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

We'll see after Sunday.

I don't know where this confidence is coming from. The team has been way off for a while now. It would need a 100% change in attitude for this weekend....would love to be proven wrong of course!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liverpool have been pretty good in the “big” games this season. They have generally played very well. I expect that to continue on Sunday. Whether that leads to a good result we’ll see as there are other variables like refereeing and VAR that has usually come into play this season.

Sky have their "SUPER RED SUNDAY" top of the Premier League clash between the two best supported English clubs, so that's nice.

I don't know where this confidence is coming from. The team has been way off for a while now. It would need a 100% change in attitude for this weekend....would love to be proven wrong of course!!

I don't know either, really baffling the blind faith some people have for the team considering our current form and our injuries, it's not like the last two seasons when we were playing at a consistently high level, would love to be proved wrong of course.

• Advertisement

Because we are the Premier League Champions and we are much better than them.

Have no doubt we will step upto the plate on Sunday and I 100% believe we will!

Roll on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Really hard to see Utd slipping up from here. One of the world's most expensively assembled squads with a lead over an injury ravaged team that has been on the go 4 years now. Utd will win the league handy enough... I'd go as far to call it one of the biggest bottle jobs of all time if they don't see it out from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

All I'd be worried about is dodgy ref and VAR decisions, other than that we move on and let the rest of the season play out.

A few friends back supporting football again the last few weeks :). Should be fun.

Pity there's no fans in the stadium at the weekend. Be a great buzz. Saying that, some of the less tolerable stuff won't be missed by anyone.

Can't remember too many brilliant Liverpool Utd games. Salah goal last season perhaps my favourite ever for atmosphere and aftermath.

Hopefully the Champions show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

At game 19 we had 55pts last season. Lose on Sunday, and win next one gives us 36 pts on game 19. That's 19 pts less than the same Match week last season. We need to win next two, starting Sunday, to give us 39pts, still 16 pts less.

This season we are allowing teams that are average to '' have a go ''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think this makes it harder for Ole.

If he comes to Anfield and plays the same tactics as West Brom, Fulham, Newcastle then he'll be showing he's afraid to take Klopp on with his own game plan.

If he comes to Anfield and goes on the attack and it's an open game it's a risk for giving Liverpool the platform to play their best game plan.

I think Ole will be happy to come away with a draw on Sunday and stay 3 points ahead for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dogbert27 wrote: »

I think Ole will be happy to come away with a draw on Sunday and stay 3 points ahead for now.

I’d say he would be over the moon with that

Let’s be honest uniteds flirtation with the top of the table won’t last long it’s just I think it will be city walking away with it rather than us unless we improve considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Cyrus wrote: »
    I’d say he would be over the moon with that

Let’s be honest uniteds flirtation with the top of the table won’t last long it’s just I think it will be city walking away with it rather than us unless we improve considerably.

They haven't had any injuries to their key players this season and current good run coincided with not playing in Europe.

It depends if they will sacrifice the Europa League with weakened teams to try and stay around the top.

I agree that City have the best squad to cope with the fixture schedule and the covid situation.

6 wrote: »
    A few friends back supporting football again the last few weeks :). Should be fun.

Pity there's no fans in the stadium at the weekend. Be a great buzz. Saying that, some of the less tolerable stuff won't be missed by anyone.

Can't remember too many brilliant Liverpool Utd games. Salah goal last season perhaps my favourite ever for atmosphere and aftermath.

Hopefully the Champions show up.

Same here. A few of my pals had "grown out of it" over the past few years and didn't watch football anymore, more important things in life, ya know.

It seems they've regressed in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tomglsn

Can’t see us winning it without at least one centre back being brought in. You can’t chop and change constantly in defence with midfielders and rookies and expect to sustain form. I think that a centre back being added would fire up the squad. Dont see it happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I am not worried about this weekend, we have all of the advantages that we note when we have to play twice a week and the other team not in Europe has a week to prepare. Yes we have had looked sloppy before coming from a break, but I don't remember those matches being such a high profile match as this weekend. So either we have all just been looking for excuses, or there is an advantage and we have it and just have to grasp it.

Our players will have had time to recover and then a week to prepare for United, where they have been playing and while they have been winning, they have had decision go their way during this run. Off course it can continue, but you suspect eventually their luck will run out. Possible red card, deflected goal in one match and both go their way.

I see Fernandes seemed to have a quiet match (didn't watch it so taking this on the absence of his photo on websites and the lack of his name in reports), unless I am rewriting history this happened earlier this year as well after the restart. He started brilliantly but as the matches piled up he lost a bit of form and so did United. This may now start to happen again to them. Even if they beat us, I don't see them keeping this up for long, with their packed schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I was reading an article,must try find it again,that we have only a 43% win rate after a long lay off, i.e. more than 7 days. Only have to look at the West Brom for evidence of that. Think this team plays better when it has matches coming thick and fast and gets into a rhythm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm old enough to remember 08/09 when we were 'never in the title race'.

So I don't know what to call this so far from Utd.

Based on the players we have and they have it wouldn’t be close if we had VVD fit. But that’s our problem at the minute. And what the hell is wrong with TAA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

doc_17 wrote: »
    And what the hell is wrong with TAA?

Isn't recovering well from covid unfortunately....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm hoping the fact it is a "big" game will motivate them and the adrenaline should be pumping before the game, even without fans. For me this is a huge limit is test for the team. If we don't performance well on Sunday and get a result we are done in this season league title I fear.

Because we are the Premier League Champions and we are much better than them.

Have no doubt we will step upto the plate on Sunday and I 100% believe we will!

But aren't we much better than Fulham, west brom, aston villa, southampton as well? That didn't work out very well for us though.

I also have no idea where you are getting the optimism that we will step up the plate either. So far it's seems the players have thought all they needed to do was turn up to games and they'd win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Hardly miles better if we're 3 points behind.

United are the on form side for a long time now wheras we don't look like even getting a shot on target, never mind scoring a goal lately and have been dipping in and out of form since the season began.

Our season starts on Sunday ,

Lets show everyone why we are champions .l.

Oh I'm going for Salah to get the winner ,
    He has been no where near his best lately but he is one of those when people start to doubt him he always shuts them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think we will give them a hiding on Sunday.

A good scutching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Just saw James Pearce advertising this on twitter, thought some of you might be interested...
    539262.jpg

Titans of world football?

- One of the most successful managers of all time.
    - Highly successful manager, also Liverpool's greatest ever player.
    - Managed a star-studded England squad to WC wins over Colombia, Sweden, Panama and Tunisia. Lost 3 times to the only actual good teams they played.
    - One of the greatest managers of modern times.

Seriously, does that ridiculous ****ing waistcoat have mind control powers or something?

ebbsy wrote: »
    I think we will give them a hiding on Sunday.

A good scutching.

I love that word. It’s not used enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I think this makes it harder for Ole.

If he comes to Anfield and plays the same tactics as West Brom, Fulham, Newcastle then he'll be showing he's afraid to take Klopp on with his own game plan.

If he comes to Anfield and goes on the attack and it's an open game it's a risk for giving Liverpool the platform to play their best game plan.

You can bet your bottom dollar on it. Counter attacking all the way from Ole & co, and they are quite effective at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Markitron wrote: »
    Titans of world football?

- One of the most successful managers of all time.
    - Highly successful manager, also Liverpool's greatest ever player.
    - Managed a star-studded England squad to WC wins over Colombia, Sweden, Panama and Tunisia. Lost 3 times to the only actual good teams they played.
    - One of the greatest managers of modern times.

Seriously, does that ridiculous ****ing waistcoat have mind control powers or something?

Will you calm down ffs. What do you expect them to advertise it as?

"3 legends of the game and a lad that played for Villa and won nothing as a manager"

Everyone knows the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

magma69 wrote: »
    Will you calm down ffs. What do you expect them to advertise it as?

"3 legends of the game and a lad that played for Villa and won nothing as a manager"

Everyone knows the story.

No humour allowed then? Got it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement