Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Occasions during restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

It is next year - its April! What part of next year - May, July wait until December or even 2022??
    Do you have an insight into what the covid figures will be like next year?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Gael23 wrote: »
    I had one this year and we just got a takeaway with some trimmings that we wouldn’t get usually and a cake. If it wasn’t a milestone birthday I’d be more than happy to do that again, it didn’t bother me at all.

I really don't think there's any point planning something this far out anyway. Wait until April/May and see how we are with the pandemic then. If you need to do something very low key... it sucks, but it's just the way it is for everyone atm. Just be glad it's only a birthday you're planning and not a wedding :rolleyes: Birthdays can be planned very last minute at least. You could plan it on a weeks notice if you needed/wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Tork wrote: »
    Do you have an insight into what the covid figures will be like next year?

Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Do you?

No. Which is why op should wait and see. This doesn't have to go on into 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

It is next year - its April! What part of next year - May, July wait until December or even 2022??

Sorry, I didn't realise it was in April. In that case I'd wait, who knows what things will be like then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

For anyone that has had an important family occasion or milestone birthday the last few months or coming soon whit did you do or have planned?

It’s my 30th Birthday in April 2021 and I want to mark it in a meaningful way as much as possible. Wouldn’t want a huge party even in normal times but just all my family together and some friends/work colleagues. Have people just sheltered planes for a year and had only more immediate family?
    I don’t mean to come across as selfish by the way, it’s a once off occasion and I want to mark it in some form, pariticularly having come out the other side of some health issues in recent years

Ah April, yer lucky! All my mates turned 30 this year which made a balls of a lot of plans. (Lockdown in March...ah we'll be grand by the end of summer...)

I'd mine last week and was fortunate enough to be able to get a substantial meal / few drinks with 4/5 pals on Friday but I would have been keen on having a big party had it been a normal year! (next stop 40 sure..))

Also couldn't do much for Mams 60th as sister is abroad...and everywhere was shut at the time.

What we have done though is all the lads pooled together 50 quid per bday into an account and we're gonna use it towards a big '****off' holiday in 2021 and use the money to cover spending money / accommodation, so we'll have something to mark the 30th at least!! (Everything crossed we'll be able to travel at end of June, but who knows..)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

What food did you get :P
    A lovely steak and mash with peppercorn sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

I'm currently aged 49B :) - It was my 50th birthday in October but it wasn't possible to have the big party at home as I originally planned with relatives coming from all over etc. So, I decided to pretty much ignore it (spent it in isolation in a hotel for work) and next year (fingers crossed) I'm going to have the big bash I planned. It's just a number after all!

OP - maybe you should be 29 for another year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,913 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tork wrote: »
    If one person there had had covid, many of us would have got it.

Not necessarily: I've seen material from the HSE which says that only about 10% of close contacts get it. That matches the experience of people I know, where some household members got it, and some didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Beasty wrote: »
    Managed to get a cake on my 60th a few weeks ago. Happy enough with that

Was there cocaine in it?

• Advertisement

Deagol wrote: »
    I'm currently aged 49B :) - It was my 50th birthday in October but it wasn't possible to have the big party at home as I originally planned with relatives coming from all over etc. So, I decided to pretty much ignore it (spent it in isolation in a hotel for work) and next year (fingers crossed) I'm going to have the big bash I planned. It's just a number after all!

I actually love this idea! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just realised I’ve managed to avoid three weddings this year.

COVID has an upside!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My daughter is emigrating to Japan in January and we’d have had a going away party so everyone can say their goodbyes but that won’t happen. It will be a zoom call which is awful and is absolutely breaking her granny’s heart that she won’t be able to hug her goodbye but what can we do? It shouldn’t be this way but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

eviltwin wrote: »
    My daughter is emigrating to Japan in January and we’d have had a going away party so everyone can say their goodbyes but that won’t happen. It will be a zoom call which is awful and is absolutely breaking her granny’s heart that she won’t be able to hug her goodbye but what can we do? It shouldn’t be this way but it is what it is.

Only if you let it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Deagol wrote: »

Having birthday cards up a year late won’t seem right though, and everyone won’t see it Athens same way either

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

By April a lot more people will have covid
    You don't want to get it while hospital is full as they will not have a breathing machine or staff to run it
    Ask each friend or relative would they die for you if 5hey say yes then invite them

Let’s hope the at risk groups are all vaccinated by then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Many people I know have simply decided to postpone the Christmas gathering to Easter and the hope is sister in US, brother in UK and the rest of us around the country will make Easter one hell of a good time. - Assuming our mum and some others in the group have had the vaccine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

eviltwin wrote: »

One of mine has been away for 18 months and what they do is write granny regular postcards and phone from time to time. Granny is thrilled with it especially as what we get are whatsapp jokes and Granny feels she is special and getting the proper stuff :)

As for celebrating I think beach picnics and forest/hill jaunts have a new role to play. Coffee in flasks, hampers in the boot, good rain gear or you may be lucky and get sun. I have had some lovely get together picnics by the sea this year. You feel great afterwards too. Even if it is not good weather it is kind of fun getting lashed on with people you love around you laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Weddings and Christmas I can sympathize with people. The financial layout and stress of weddings must take its toll at normal times but to have to postpone indefinitely must be tough. Also spending Christmas alone woud be very difficult for a lot of people.

If anyone is actually moaning about not having their own birthday party during Covid then their sense of self importance must be off the charts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Weddings and Christmas I can sympathize with people. The financial layout and stress of weddings must take its toll at normal times but to have to postpone indefinitely must be tough. Also spending Christmas alone woud be very difficult for a lot of people.

If anyone is actually moaning about not having their own birthday party during Covid then their sense of self importance must be off the charts.
    I think the government Christmas call was the right one. Even for those who don't invest that much in it there is a relief to having this brief window of respite from the relentlessness of this year. Some of course will treat it normal but you'd hope that the majority will manage how they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Dunfyy wrote: »
    By April a lot more people will have covid
    You don't want to get it while hospital is full as they will not have a breathing machine or staff to run it
    Ask each friend or relative would they die for you if 5hey say yes then invite them

Vaccinations will start in a week. All vulnerable groups and many others will be vaccinated by end of March. That will naturally see transmission rate and hospitalisations plummet.

We just need to see the vaccination also stopping that person transmitting it (the moderna vaccine seems to be doing that)

silver2020 wrote: »
    Vaccinations will start in a week. All vulnerable groups and many others will be vaccinated by end of March. That will naturally see transmission rate and hospitalisations plummet.

We just need to see the vaccination also stopping that person transmitting it (the moderna vaccine seems to be doing that)

Restrictions will be eased painfully slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 82,385 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

silver2020 wrote: »

I just hope that if you are given one of the other vaccines that you are still able to take one which prevents transmission at a later date.

The current vaccines for medical staff are not of much use as they can still spread it to patients.

Seems to be good progress on vaccines so hopefully things change quickly

It’s now 3 weeks away and we’re in a worse position than when I posted this

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

Why not have multiple mini-celebrations outdoors with 3-4 people at a time? A celebratory birth month? I have a cousin who does this every year because she hates organising big gatherings and she has lots of different friend groups. It also means multiple cakes, always a good thing.

Life is short, you probably know this more than most if you’ve been through serious health issues. Find a way to celebrate arriving at the age of 30 in the safest, yet most enjoyable way possible. Be gracious if some others don’t feel safe enough to join you yet. But I think you’re right to want to mark this, we’ve all had our lives on hold for a very long time now.

Happy birthday in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I'm in a bubble with my folks so we had a cake to celebrate 2 significant birthdays and zoomed rest of family. We are delaying till we can celebrate together with either a bbq outdoors during summer, or my dad's 80th in 2 years time when he wants to go to Italy, whichever comes first that allows us be together as a family.

Partner rang me as he lives in different county, have seen him 3 times since March 2020 which is luckier then most. Some might describe it as the perfect relationship :D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

skimpydoo wrote: »
    My 50th birthday was in October. As I live alone I celebrated it with a group FaceTime with my family. I also treated myself to a lovely takeaway from Rolys Bistro.

Ohh takeawy menu looks very appetizing.
    Saturday dining sorted I think :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

It's fairly clear what's happened. You jinxed it. :o

Advertisement