Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agapanthus and Alliums compatability?

Options
  • 07-12-2020 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I planted a border with buxus balls and alliums en masse (probably 150 alliums) a couple of months back. (Maybe a bit stereotypical I know, but each to their own eh...)

I'm now thinking about what to plant for later summer flowering. I was think to plant some agapanthus umbellatus towards the back of the border. I was going to mix this with some orange varieties like crocosmias and coral drops. I have never grown agapanthus, but foliage on some varieties looks dense, My question to those who might be in the know...Would the agapanthus foliage perhaps be too dense for the alliums to penetrate in future years, or should they just find their way up through it? Any thoughts?...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

ravendude wrote: »
    Hi,

I planted a border with buxus balls and alliums en masse (probably 150 alliums) a couple of months back. (Maybe a bit stereotypical I know, but each to their own eh...)

I'm now thinking about what to plant for later summer flowering. I was think to plant some agapanthus umbellatus towards the back of the border. I was going to mix this with some orange varieties like crocosmias and coral drops. I have never grown agapanthus, but foliage on some varieties looks dense, My question to those who might be in the know...Would the agapanthus foliage perhaps be too dense for the alliums to penetrate in future years, or should they just find their way up through it? Any thoughts?...

Thanks!

There's a miniature verbena bonariensis which grows to 60cm and will flower for a longer season than agapanthus if you are happy to substitute the form and flower colour. The variety is verbena bonariensis 'Lollipop'.

Hydrangea "Anabelle" (white fluffy flowers) is another popular option to plant with crocosmia, both will have no winter leaf of course.

EDIT: To answer your question as well!! Agapanthus will grow freely in a sunny location and will form a dense clump unless you divide every 3 years or so. I found that alliums don't last forever either for me so some replacement bulbs as necessary may be necessary over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I have those plants in my garden. Agapanthus needs good sunny location otherwise will stop flowering or grow long stems to reach light then fall over. There are different varieties, vary in size, flowering at different times and can form very large clumps, difficult to dig out/divide. Meanwhile Annabelle Hydrangea is happier in a shady even damp spot. My alliums seem to be increasing over the years. Yes they do seem to push thru other plants (lot of geranium) and like a sunny spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Garlinge wrote: »
    I have those plants in my garden. Agapanthus needs good sunny location otherwise will stop flowering or grow long stems to reach light then fall over. There are different varieties, vary in size, flowering at different times and can form very large clumps, difficult to dig out/divide. Meanwhile Annabelle Hydrangea is happier in a shady even damp spot. My alliums seem to be increasing over the years. Yes they do seem to push thru other plants (lot of geranium) and like a sunny spot.

Thanks, this spot is indeed sunny, for the summer time at least. I might try a few clumps of agapanthus alright. I'm thinking maybe to try and go more for one of the deciduous, not so big types so the alliums have a better chance of pushing through a smaller clump.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

The deciduous ones that lose leaves in winter are frost hardy. I only have some of the other ones this past year and have potted up and place near house for shelter. They say they like to be crammed in a pot/tight spot.

Advertisement