Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 System crashes and random shutdowns thread

Options
  • 07-12-2020 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

This console seems to be a hell of a lot more buggy on launch then the PS4 was. I've had it crash and shutdown twice now first time was plugging my PS4 external drive to it seemed to not like it and shutdown and had to power it up via the front button. So I decided to not plug in my external hard drive again. That was two weeks ago. Anyway I mostly play call of duty cold war and have had no issues, played it for two hours tonight no issue came out of the game left it on the PS5 main menu and watched a bit of tv, about 20 minutes later I noticed the ps5 blue light pulse and shutdown I pressed the ps button on the DS5 and that came on but the PS5 stayed off I had to power on with the front button and it says repairing. Console storage shuts down and boots back up to a screen with error code CE-108262-9 and says a problem occured in the system software last time your ps5 was used you get to report it and it reboots and comes back up into normal menu.
    On googling the thread I'm not the only one with the error in some cases Sony support have RMA'd the console and some have said it's system software that needs to be patched. Could be Coldwar causing it to crash but I had closed that out.
    Anyone else get this error or similar errors?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Have at least 1 shutdown per day, playing cold war zombies.
    Worst day was 4 shutdowns, no errors though.

On restart it's doing a storage repair and is at 39% every time it happens.

I report the error after it completes the storage repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

F1ngers wrote: »
    Have at least 1 shutdown per day, playing cold war zombies.
    Worst day was 4 shutdowns, no errors though.

On restart it's doing a storage repair and is at 39% every time it happens.

I report the error after it completes the storage repair.

Have you an external drive attached or ever attached with your PS4 games? I'm hoping it's only a software issue that Sony can patch out but I have my doubts

Have you an external drive attached or ever attached with your PS4 games? I'm hoping it's only a software issue that Sony can patch out but I have my doubts

No, I only have the pulse headset dongle plugged in front USB port.

No, I only have the pulse headset dongle plugged in front USB port.

Have you tried turning off ray tracing in graphics settings in cold war?

Have you tried turning off ray tracing in graphics settings in cold war?

I have, no difference, still shuts down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

There's a known problem with "rest mode"... disable it, and shut off when you want to stop playing. It'll be patched.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I’ve reduced my system freezes by never using rest mode anymore and also before I play a game checking that its completed downloading, even if it shows its finished I’ll check the downloads section and 9 times out of 10 there is still download activity going on there.
    I also set the output to a static 1080p instead of automatic, that seemed to help too

New glitch though is my disk drive.
    Twice over the weekend it opens the splash screen of the game but the drive never kicks in...
    I’ve had to close the game from the menu and even eject the disk before it will spin up again.

Checking system errors on the disk and freezing - nothing there... Just the usual WiFi connection issues, which based on where the PS5 is I’m just going to live with.

Yeah the first issue I had was ps5 went into rest mode with the external drive plugged in, I properly removed it after that and hasn't been plugged into my PS5 since. Last night was very random I had played both multiplayer and Zombies solos on PS5 closed the game out and left it on the dashboard to charge the controller whilst I watched a bit of TV, so wasn't even stressing the system. I'm sure Sony knows what is causing these crashes and hopefully working on a fix. Still going to play the crap out of the console as better to have it fail earlier when you can send it back into Sony under warrenty. Sigh it's true what they say about early adaptors being beta testers

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭steescribbles

I came across one system error while creating cache files for my extended storage PS4 games, but it was handled a lot better than the PS4 handled it. The UI faded out and I was presented with an error screen followed by a database rebuild, and after that, everything was fine.

The PS4 would cut to black, beep three times, reboot which halts the extended storage, and then do the rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Happened just now, first time since launch. It looks like if playing a PS5 game and downloads to games on the external hard drive are copying, the system will crash. Update to The Division 2 was copying while playing Bugsnax

• Advertisement

I think my PS5 just died after getting that last software update. It started when game updates for games on my external hard drive stopped downloading despite there being an active connection. I tried deleting them and they still showed up on the screen. Then I tried shutting down the console, and it didn't shut down until I held the power button down.

I was greeted with a "Repairing system storage" screen after that, and while I was able to boot back into the system, the same thing happened again. So I tried booting into safe mode and selecting Rebuild Database. Was met with the system storage repair screen again, followed by the rebuild database process. This also froze and caused my system to shut down. I then tried downloading the system update directly to the system. That also didn't work, the update failed. So at this moment, I'm power cycling the console to see if that clears the RAM of the console or not, because it is currently impossible for me to get into Safe Mode, as soon as I press the PS button on the controller, the screen freezes, and console reboots. No access to any of the options available in safe mode.

Could be looking at a repair/replace here. And after all the trouble of getting one too.

Anybody else encounter something like this?

I should add that I've never used rest mode and that it's been deactivated.

Had 1 shutdown on cold war zombies, very 1st game after it was updated 4 days ago.
    So no other crashes on that for 3 days - fingers crossed on that one.

Have had 1 crash playing Cyberpunk(CE-108225-1) this afternoon.
    This was reported, video included.
    Played for a few more hours, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

I’m going to hold on to my phone Ps5 for a few months then trade it in and get a newer one that is less rushed in production and more reliable

Anticipated this and was always my plan anyway

Mine's scheduled for replacement.

One thing I found a bit odd about the call I had with PlayStation is that the agent asked if my console was a "launch day model". Does that mean they differ from other batches?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

Mine's scheduled for replacement.

One thing I found a bit odd about the call I had with PlayStation is that the agent asked if my console was a "launch day model". Does that mean they differ from other batches?

Surely agent would know from serial number or model number. Why would he mention that to you ?

Damien360 wrote: »
    Surely agent would know from serial number or model number. Why would he mention that to you ?

He asked me that before asking for the serial number.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Had a little panic moment just there. I remember putting the console into rest mode last night, but I always close apps and games so there's no quick resume and nothing working away in the background. Went to turn it on there, blue lights on DS flashing fast. Looked at the console, no orange lights. Hmm, strange, maybe there was a power cut at some point.

Clicked the power button on the front, console beeped but nothing. No lights, no other noises. My heart dropped, but pressing it a second time it powered on as normal, but it obviously lost connection to the DS at some point, which is unusual. No warning/error that it was shut down incorrectly, so it shut itself down at some point since last night.

Keeping an eye on it now, and not using rest mode again for another while! Like above, I reckon I might trade in when the next model comes out. I'm still very happy with it, very few issues in general. But tonight made me panic slightly. It's also why my poor PS4 Pro is still sitting there, looking at me wondering why I don't play with it anymore. Just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Had a little panic moment just there. I remember putting the console into rest mode last night, but I always close apps and games so there's no quick resume and nothing working away in the background. Went to turn it on there, blue lights on DS flashing fast. Looked at the console, no orange lights. Hmm, strange, maybe there was a power cut at some point.

Clicked the power button on the front, console beeped but nothing. No lights, no other noises. My heart dropped, but pressing it a second time it powered on as normal, but it obviously lost connection to the DS at some point, which is unusual. No warning/error that it was shut down incorrectly, so it shut itself down at some point since last night.

Keeping an eye on it now, and not using rest mode again for another while! Like above, I reckon I might trade in when the next model comes out. I'm still very happy with it, very few issues in general. But tonight made me panic slightly. It's also why my poor PS4 Pro is still sitting there, looking at me wondering why I don't play with it anymore. Just in case.

The exact same thing has happened to me multiple times so for now I will not use rest mode.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

madmoe wrote: »
    The exact same thing has happened to me multiple times so for now I will not use rest mode.

Cheers,
    M

Sure the PS4 launched without rest mode at all, then when it did launch it didn't work for the first month or two iirc, they will sort it eventually, obviously it is firmware related...

I think it's definitely related to whether an external drive is connected or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Fieldog wrote: »
    Sure the PS4 launched without rest mode at all, then when it did launch it didn't work for the first month or two iirc, they will sort it eventually, obviously it is firmware related...

I think it's definitely related to whether an external drive is connected or not...

Unless it only happens if you don't have an external drive fitted, because I don't. The disc spin is still happening too, middle of watching Netflix and out of nowhere a loud fan noise. Scared the bejaysus outta me as I haven't left a disc in for ages.

• Advertisement

Had 1 shutdown on cold war zombies, very 1st game after it was updated 4 days ago.
    So no other crashes on that for 3 days - fingers crossed on that one.

Have had 1 crash playing Cyberpunk(CE-108225-1) this afternoon.
    This was reported, video included.
    Played for a few more hours, no issues.

This post is 3 weeks old, have only had 1 crash since then, and that was over a week ago.
    Haven't played Cyberpunk(requested refund) since then though, but no issues with CoD Zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Just a heads up for anyone who's console keeps turning on randomly and you have a media remote paired change its batteries!
    I was disabling cec and stuff like that but the remote was the culprit all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Hopefully the right thread. But was playing FIFA last few days. Was in rest mode last night i think. Played again for a few hours this afternoon no issues. Went to buy some FIFA points and it just froze, screen blinked green and shut down. Wouldn't load back up by pressing controller, had to press power button twice, repair drive etc.

Then loaded up FIFA again and held down PS button on controller to get to home screen and just froze again once I went back to home screen. Did same with Demons Souls, froze once I held PS button. Rebuilt data base, still no resolution. Finally caved in and did a factory reset. Still same issue. Turned off rest mode minute it crashed originally as heard about potential issues.

Finally found a way around it by just pressing PS button and selecting home from there. Going to ring on Tuesday but hopefully it is just a software issue. First time getting first release console, some pain tbh. Anyone else seeing similar issues??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've had about 3 crashes since I got it, one it turned itself off and told me I killed the power when I didn't, the other two happened while gaming. I've been using rest mode frequently every day with no issues and the fact this thread has 25 replies in a month suggest there aren't really any major issues with this launch that couldn't be applied to any other launches.

.G. wrote: »
    I've had about 3 crashes since I got it, one it turned itself off and told me I killed the power when I didn't, the other two happened while gaming. I've been using rest mode frequently every day with no issues and the fact this thread has 25 replies in a month suggest there aren't really any major issues with this launch that couldn't be applied to any other launches.

Or it could be more to do with the fact there were select few to be got and boards wouldn't be a good indicator of customers overall experience?? I'd advise going to reddit to see there are some serious problems with the system crashing regularly.

Mine has settled down since last month, I closedown Coldwar when I finish playing it and have left it go into standby without any issue.
    But I do believe there is some stability issues with the PS5, I know they had some issues with AMD getting a high yield on the APU. We shall see how it plays out in the next couple of months. I also see online the Controllers adaptive triggers are breaking already so expect that design to be revised in the near future as well.

Mine has settled down since last month, I closedown Coldwar when I finish playing it and have left it go into standby without any issue.
    But I do believe there is some stability issues with the PS5, I know they had some issues with AMD getting a high yield on the APU. We shall see how it plays out in the next couple of months. I also see online the Controllers adaptive triggers are breaking already so expect that design to be revised in the near future as well.

Mine was behaving well too, had two crashed in Fifa at exact same time. That stopped. This one is just weird a it also happens exact same time.

First time getting a console from launch so I'm probably just not used to this.

tbayers wrote: »
    Mine was behaving well too, had two crashed in Fifa at exact same time. That stopped. This one is just weird a it also happens exact same time.

First time getting a console from launch so I'm probably just not used to this.
    My launch PS4 had it's fan going mad, didn't crash or anything but still ended up selling it to a friend, I managed to order the last rev of the PS4 before it went to the slim and it was very quite. Same with launch PS3 started to get the 360 version of the RROD, it's a risk you take, once we get news of revised hardware I think I'll be trading mine in for that if issues continue.

My launch PS4 had it's fan going mad, didn't crash or anything but still ended up selling it to a friend, I managed to order the last rev of the PS4 before it went to the slim and it was very quite. Same with launch PS3 started to get the 360 version of the RROD, it's a risk you take, once we get news of revised hardware I think I'll be trading mine in for that if issues continue.

Out of interest but would you lose much value on trade in? 20/30%??

• Advertisement

tbayers wrote: »
    Out of interest but would you lose much value on trade in? 20/30%??

Good question depends on demand for second hand PS5's when you trade them in. I'd say it could drop as low as 50% but you might take it if you continue to have hardware issues

Advertisement