Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

engagement ring lost - insurance claim

• 07-12-2020 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi

A friend has lost there engagement ring it is insured under the house insurance as a Specified Personal Possessions, it was lost outside the house.

Question does this mean it will be covered as it was lost outside the house, or does need to have been lost in the house?

Any advice on what to do would be of great help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭chancer007

I would suggest to say ring as lost somewhere in the house.
    I know someone who had an engagement ring stolen, the insurance gave a voucher for the cost of the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Doodah7

chancer007 wrote: »
    I know someone who had an engagement ring stolen, the insurance gave a voucher for the cost of the ring.

I would suggest that this is insurance fraud and would advise anyone NOT to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭argentum

We were in the same boat...ring lost outside the house.They're covered for that so be honest.
    In my case my wife hid the ring in the car going into hospital to have a baby
    I didnt know and cleaned / hovered the car to bring home the baby
    My wife had to go to a specific wholesaler to pick a ring ...she was told the details and picked the one she liked
    It was only then that she was given a valuation cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Delboy007 wrote: »
    .... does this mean it will be covered as it was lost outside the house, or does need to have been lost in the house?

Your friend needs to check the policy document, they can download it from the insurance company's website.

They also need to check the schedule which they received at the last renewal, this may contain endorsements to the policy specific to that item and which will take precedence over any general terms in the policy document.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It is likely that the policy covers loss regardless of where you believe it may have occurred.

Note the insured value or that appearing on the ‘valuation’ may be several times the wholesale cost. Insurance companies sometimes have arrangements with specific distributors to assist in replacement of missing rings - so this may be a more likely means of compensation than cash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Do not advise people to break the law.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Question does this mean it will be covered as it was lost outside the house, or does need to have been lost in the house?

Usually such events are covered under the policy, but check and follow the procedures for reporting such an item.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Blub123

Hi

A friend has lost there engagement ring it is insured under the house insurance as a Specified Personal Possessions, it was lost outside the house.

Any advice on what to do would be of great help.

If it's a specified item it will be covered if lost.
    If its lost say its lost. Don't say mislaid in the house.
    Ensure it's reported to the Gardai and that you get a pulse NR.
    Check if you have an inspection condition and that this was followed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Perfect username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If it is specified for All Risks, you are covered for loss outside the home. With jewellery, insurers often opt to replace rather than a cash settlement

• Advertisement
Advertisement