Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shredders

Options
  • 07-12-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently moved and my gardens been neglected for some time. Plenty of shrubs, briars and tree's which have taken over and have not been trimmed in some few years.

The plan is to pear it all back and remove most of it so I can start clean and go from there. Hence thinking of getting a shredder due to all the material I'll have. I can leave it in a heap and mix for compost or kart it off in a trailer some day.

Are electric shredders best avoided ? I was thinking I could buy a petrol one and sell it on once I've the work done. I've a fair few pines around the place too that will get the chop so I could feed some of that through it too ideally depending on size.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a cheap enough one that has been reliable - not blisteringly fast by any stretch though.
    i think they're about €150 in B&Q here.

https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-mshp2800d-2-corded-2800w-silent-shredder/3663602627357_BQ.prd

I've a bosch one,something like this but older

https://www.conrad.com/p/bosch-home-and-garden-axt-rapid-2200-mains-impact-shredder-2200-w-824084?WT.srch=1&vat=true

it'll take branches as thick as your thumb,plenty for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The model I use is basically like the above bought in Homebase for about 180 euro, the maximum width is about 2" in theory with the cutting blade opening at it's biggest. Its a great way to create a semi permanent "mulch" or just reduce bulky waste. Be careful about feeding in branches/twigs with damp leaves, as it just tends to clog.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Thanks all. The electric ones seem fine for running most normal trimmings from the year. I guess I could pic one up, do what I can with it and hire one for a day or two for the more heavy duty stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've used one similar to the bosch also - it's faster IIRC that the different design used in the B&Q one, but as mentioned is more likely to clog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agree with what all the others have said, have a Lidl electric shredder and it does great work, as said, it does not like is summer leaves and to some extent excessive amounts of some sorts of conifers, easily munches through wood up to about an inch dia. and its great for individual briars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I hate electric shredders with a passion. They are just so slow. Maybe thats because I've used big hydraulic chippers.

There is a point to note here. Most shredders will take soft material along with soil and the odd stone, a lot also have a small separate chipper feature. A dedicated chipper will clog up with soft material and be damaged by any stones. You can't rake up along a path and throw it in a chipper if there are stones present. Make sure you understand how any shredder/chipper you get works because that will help get the most out of it.

I use one similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forest-Master-Electric-Lightweight-transport/dp/B08KY8Y6Q6/. Its a chipper thats rubbish on leaves and hedge clippings but will power through inch and a half inch timber all day. 2 inch is the max and it needs feeding cautiously (not just ramming in) but again it will do that all day and 10 seconds isn't long to wait. The other downside to that small size of chipper is that the material you feed through it needs to be straightish. A bent oak branch with side branches needs a lot of cutting down. Material like overgrown dogwood flies through it. Pine branches would go through OK provided they will go through the narrowest part of the feed chute just in front of the cutter drum.

I've also used what I call a hammer mill type shredder similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chipper-Shredder-Electric-Titan-Pro/dp/B009IKA4MM/ its great with leaves, bracken (makes good compost), weeds and hedge clippings all put in through the top hopper and has a useful chipper on the side. The chipper part isn't as good as the dedicated chipper above.

Edit> If you can get them to answer emails this isn't a bad firm to deal with https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/garden-machinery/wood-chippers/ they can also get spares. Their 7hp chipper at around €900 is quite a beast but its a chipper not a shredder.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

A quick point OP in case you are new to gardening. Just because a tree or shrub grows doesn't mean you have to prune. Prune for the right reasons. Prune to increase flowering for example but don't prune because someone tells you that every plant in your garden has to be trimmed into a tidy ball.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I'm not doing either. I'm clearing back to a blank canvas and getting rid of the stuff that's gone out of control or dont like. Not a total newbie, spent my summers working with a landscaper during school. I'll admit I payed no attention to the plant side of it and had more interest in the hard landscaping and machinery

The other downside to that small size of chipper is that the material you feed through it needs to be straightish.
    forgot to mention this about the cheapo B&Q one i mentioned above - if you've heavily branched material, it can be a PITA to feed it in as there is a 'letterbox' about an inch and a half wide that the material has to go through.

• Advertisement

The lidl shredder has a 4 to 5inch long by 1inch or so wide slot with a round approx 1.5" shape at each end, if branches are very hard and brittle (knobbly old hawthorn for example) they may not go through, but to a large extent it will 'fold' side branches in, provided the end of the branch will go into the round bit, it will take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Peter T wrote: »
    Are electric shredders best avoided ? I was thinking I could buy a petrol one and sell it on once I've the work done. I've a fair few pines around the place too that will get the chop so I could feed some of that through it too ideally depending on size.

With a very large garden and a constant supply of material to be shredded, I looked into the petrol vs. electric side of things a few years ago. My main concern about the electric ones was the handicap of needing to be within reach of a socket, so I was primed to settle for a petrol machine.

In the end, the difference in price for machines of a similar spec seemed very much in favour of electric, so I did more research on that side of things. In the course of that, I came across the Bosch machine linked above and had an opportunity to ask the guy in the shop to explain to me what that one could do that justified a price that was twice or even three times that of the rest of the models on show. The best he could do was say "the quality of the woodchips, if you want to use them as a decorative mulch."

In the end (a few months later) I opted for the old-style Lidl one at 90€, and bought a couple of extra-long heavy-duty outdoor extension cables to add to my existing camper mains lead. I can now work at a distance of up to 100m from the back door, which is more than enough for me.

I can confirm all the remarks above - it's slow, it's a real pain when the prunings have a sharp angle or a knobbly junction that's just a bit wider than the feed slot, and the cutting effectiveness can be very variable if you put a lot of thin, green material through it. Also, the drop into the collecting box is off centre, which means that it fills unevenly and you have to shake it every so often to leave space under the chute.

But: it works more or less as it should. I've put 40mm straight branches through without any problem (and get perfectly good "decorative" chips, and would have it running continuously for anything up to four hours at a time (apart from stopping it to remove/empty the collecting box.

These days, knowing its peculiarities, I'd usually try to roughly sort the material that I'm going to put through it later. Some stuff is best left a few days anyway to let the leaves dry and fall off; other things like brambles are better shredded with the blade tightened down more than appropriate for 20-40mm diameter wood.

I specified above the "old style" Lidl shredder, as I saw recently that the one currently on offer has food-mixer type blades, which I think would be too delicate for real country life, whereas mine has more of a cog-wheel crusher that doesn't get upset by the odd stone, bottle cap or nail.

Clearly no portable DIY superstore shredder is going to break up branches over about half an inch diameter that's what you are for - snap (or snip) and feed, that said I do all the prep in this regard before hand.

Clearly no portable DIY superstore shredder is going to break up branches over about half an inch diameter ...

Half an inch? That's only 12mm in my world - I'd shove three of those into my Lidl machine at the same time and it'd chomp through them without a pause.

For real-world reference (cottage measures 11m gable-to-gable):

Before:
    Cottage-Corner-0-before-1.jpg

After:
    Cottage-Corner-1-during-1.jpg

Everything you see heaped in the foreground in the second picture went into my Lidl machine; and then everything you can't see for the next 50 metres up the lane to the left (unless is was thick enough to be cut up for the fire).

Machine is now parked in the far corner of my property, ready for duty on the final 50 metres across the back.

Yeah I must mean an inch, mind you sometimes it's the type of wood that matters, whether it's old and dried or full of sap and bendy etc.

Half an inch? That's only 12mm in my world - I'd shove three of those into my Lidl machine at the same time and it'd chomp through them without a pause.
    yeah, that's barely the size of your little finger. any shredder would easily be able to handle that.

Yeah I must mean an inch, mind you sometimes it's the type of wood that matters, whether it's old and dried or full of sap and bendy etc.

That's true. But also, as I mentioned above, what blade setting works best for a spindly bit of green willow or a 5-m long briar will be completely unsuitable for a 25mm length of oak. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I can prune-and-sort quite efficiently as I make my way along the work zone, throwing stuff into different piles according to what needs to happen to them. Making the lop cut in the right place is important too, so as to avoid having a chunky heel on the waste that you'll end up having to cut off later.

But if you can tolerate that level of inefficiency in the operation, even the budget machines should be able to do the work, if you ask them nicely.

Both the circumstances and experience CelticRambler relates (even to the extension cables at the top end of the acre!) are very similar to mine. For the price the lidl machine plays a blinder!

worth mentioning that there seem to be two types of shredders in the cheaper price bracket - one depends on a spinning disc with raised blades, which spins and chops a bit like a food processor blade (a bit like the blade at the 4 o'clock position here):

5ef8aaab-d654-46d3-a046-adc2579d3f60

the second type (which seems less liable to jam in my experience) works using what looks like a really wide (wide along the axle) cog with sawtooth teeth, which run against a plate, and the rotation both pulls the material in and chops it up. you can see it at one minute into this video, they tend to be slower but quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

If you are doing a big clean up over the course of a few days/weeks. Pile the material up in manageable heaps in such a way that you can easily pick up branches without it being all tangled up and hire a heavy duty wood chipper thats rated to do at least an inch more than your max branch diameter for a day/weekend.

You'll have it shredded in a few hours, even less with an extra pair of hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

looksee wrote: »
    Both the circumstances and experience CelticRambler relates (even to the extension cables at the top end of the acre!) are very similar to mine. For the price the lidl machine plays a blinder!

I have a Lidl shredder, that is at least ten years old. It has two reversible blades, mounted on a rotating plate. I am now on side two of the second set of blades. It has shredded loads of bushes and quite a lot of very large weeds (also called Leylandii).

If you need more room to collect chips sit your shredder into a ton bag .
    The bosh one I have uses a screw type blade.

If you need more room to collect chips sit your shredder into a ton bag .

My initial reaction was, what a great idea! Then I realised that the lidl shredder will not work without the container being actively locked into position, safety mechanism.

Though we do now stand the shredder on a tarp when doing extensive sorting and shredding on the grass, saves picking up all the bits of broken twig and leaves that scatter themselves as you handle the material.

looksee wrote: »
    My initial reaction was, what a great idea! Then I realised that the lidl shredder will not work without the container being actively locked into position, safety mechanism.

I've been thinking about cutting off three sides of the container so that can I stand the machine in a trailer! I'm half-heartedly looking out for a second compatible container that I chop up ... but only half-heartedly, as I know it'd be easy enough to bypass the safety mechanism if I really wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I've been thinking about cutting off three sides of the container so that can I stand the machine in a trailer! I'm half-heartedly looking out for a second compatible container that I chop up ... but only half-heartedly, as I know it'd be easy enough to bypass the safety mechanism if I really wanted to.

The one I have is the older one, that doesn't have a container. I have a small area of the garden, out of site, where I shred. I then just have to rake it into a heap. It is way faster than using a container.

The one I have is the older one, that doesn't have a container. I have a small area of the garden, out of site, where I shred. I then just have to rake it into a heap. It is way faster than using a container.

I have the one with the "cog"-type blade, so it's already slow enough that having to stop, remove, empty and re-fit the box isn't really add that much extra time. I'd say I spend far longer re-cutting branches that don't fit in the slot.

Depending on where I'm sending the chips afterwards, I might have a garden waste bag, a barrow, the mower's trailer or my full-size 750kg trailer pulled up beside me and tip the container of chips straight into that.

As far as the speed is concerned, it's not really that big an issue. Not sure if looksee would maintains the parallel, but as the interminable feeding of branches doesn't use any great amount of brainpower, I typically use the time to think about what resources my next project is going to involve, whether or not I have everything ready, and how I can integrate it into my other plans.

It becomes hypnotic, a job I enjoy. Once you get a branch going you can tell if it will go straight through and you haul out the next branch ready to go. Sometimes a branch needs a bit of pushing but its all very peaceful - the machine makes a fair noise but its not a penetrating sort of noise, you can live with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

the second type (which seems less liable to jam in my experience) works using what looks like a really wide (wide along the axle) cog with sawtooth teeth, which run against a plate, and the rotation both pulls the material in and chops it up. you can see it at one minute into this video, they tend to be slower but quieter.

I've a new-ish Lidl shredder which has blades like this. It's pretty good (especially for the price), but needs the plate to be set properly before use, otherwise spindly stuff just wraps around the blade and clogs it. If the blade is just rubbing off the plate, it'll motor even through soft stuff (put fresh seaweed through it recently).

For a full garden clearance it would be tedious, better just to stockpile the stuff and hire a professional unit to run through it in one go. The Lidl one is great for ongoing maintenance, cures the boredom of chopping stuff up small for the compost.

Advertisement