If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atmos Upgrade

Options
  • 07-12-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking to upgrade my 2 channel system to atmos.

I have centre, rear and subwoofer form my old av system and are ok quality. Looking for an atmos receiver, 2 atmos speakers maybe for side walls and around 50m speaker cables.

I will be keeping my 2 channel amp when not watching movies so I think I need a receiver with pre outs?

How long does it take for delivery?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Block (8 wrote: »
    Hi

Looking to upgrade my 2 channel system to atmos.

I have centre, rear and subwoofer form my old av system and are ok quality. Looking for an atmos receiver, 2 atmos speakers maybe for side walls and around 50m speaker cables.

I will be keeping my 2 channel amp when not watching movies so I think I need a receiver with pre outs?

How long does it take for delivery?
    Hey Block (8.

Thanks for the post.

The amp to go for would be the Denon AVRX2700.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-14159-denon-avrx2700-black-dolby-atmos-and-dts-x-av-receiver.aspx

For the Atmos speakers there is the Monitor Audio AMS (Pending stock on the Black Finish)
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204737-monitor-audio-bronze-ams-black-dolby-atmos-speakers-per-pair.aspx

I could offer the 2700 and the AMS together for 897 Euro.

There are also the Elac A4 Atmos which I could offer with the 2700 for 843 Euro in total.

For 50 meters of speaker cable there is the Symphony 100. I could offer 50 meters of this a 1 Euro per meter = 50 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-900187-cambridge-audio-symphony-100-speaker-cable-per-metre.aspx

Delivery would be 2-5 workings days for the 2700 and A4's. We are chasing an ETA on the AMS's.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Hi Kenny

The denon has pre outs for an amplifier already connected to my main speakers?

Can I hear the difference for atmos between the denon and the cheaper receivers seeing as I don’t need as many features? Don’t mind paying more if I can hear the difference though.

The speakers you mentioned are they more suitable for placing atop of the speakers and  above them. I’m looking at mounting on the side walls firing down and one of my walls doesn’t reach my seating so really firing a small bit diagonal and down.
    I see you have the B&w m1 and they look like they have a ball joint that might be suitable?

Are the cables you quoted easy to hide and paint over? The cables for the atmos will be running along the wall.

Hi Kenny

The denon has pre outs for an amplifier already connected to my main speakers?

Can I hear the difference for atmos between the denon and the cheaper receivers seeing as I don’t need as many features? Don’t mind paying more if I can hear the difference though.

The speakers you mentioned are they more suitable for placing atop of the speakers and  above them. I’m looking at mounting on the side walls firing down and one of my walls doesn’t reach my seating so really firing a small bit diagonal and down.
    I see you have the B&w m1 and they look like they have a ball joint that might be suitable?

Are the cables you quoted easy to hide and paint over? The cables for the atmos will be running along the wall.
    Hi Block (8.

There are very few cheaper amps that will do Dolby Atmos.
    It needs to be a 7.1 receiver.

You could perhaps check out the Sony 1080 priced at 479 Euro (Currently out of stock)
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202643-sony-strdn1080-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

Both the Denon 2700 and Sony 1080 have ore outs which can connect to a 2nd amp as you requested.

For the Atmos speakers you can get away with using something like the B&W M1 but these are not really designed for Atmos.
    The likes of the Dali Alteco's can be wall mounted and fire into the room
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203058-dali-alteco-c1-black-surround-speakers-per-pair.aspx

The cable quoted for is one of our slimmer cable and could be painted if you wish.

Kenny

I’ve decided on the denon and the B&w m1 because of the handy ball joint that I can fire down and diagonal. Do you have both the black and whites in stock, I can’t decide which colour but probably white.

For the speaker cables I might need more than 50m. Is it ok to run the rears with 18.5m of cables? Would you recommend the slightly higher priced cables for this length? 
    Can’t trust myself pulling up the carpet and putting them back down.

Kenny

I’ve decided on the denon and the B&w m1 because of the handy ball joint that I can fire down and diagonal. Do you have both the black and whites in stock, I can’t decide which colour but probably white.

For the speaker cables I might need more than 50m. Is it ok to run the rears with 18.5m of cables? Would you recommend the slightly higher priced cables for this length? 
    Can’t trust myself pulling up the carpet and putting them back down.
    Hey Block (8.

At the moment we only have the M1 in the White finish in stock :)

The would be no issues in running 18.5 meters for the rears just try to keep both length 18.5 meters even if one is slightly longer.
    Going up in price will help for the speaker cable.
    You could go to the Symphony 200
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-100101-cambridge-audio-symphony-200-speaker-cable-per-metre.aspx

Slightly thicker in diameter but not by much.

There is a QED Micro white which is a nice cable and easier to hide
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-11552-qed-performance-micro-speaker-cable-per-metre.aspx

• Advertisement

Kenny

What price can do for the denon and the B&w I’ll take the in stock whites?

Could you do a better price for the Qed?

Kenny

What price can do for the denon and the B&w I’ll take the in stock whites?

Could you do a better price for the Qed?
    Hey Block (8.

I could offer the QED Micro for £1.50.
    We are however just waiting on more arriving into the store for us.

Kenny

So will I get back to you when you have the cables in stock?

Kenny

So will I get back to you when you have the cables in stock?
    Hi Block (8.

If you want to drop me your full name and address in a PM I can get the order onto our system and this will alert us when the cable lands with us.

Plus it will also hold a 2700 for you as these are selling fast.

Kenny

Could you give me your price on the amp and speakers? I'll wait for the cables if they're not too long. Want to get them as soon as possible and will be holding off on watching tv until then.

• Advertisement

Kenny

Could you give me your price on the amp and speakers? I'll wait for the cables if they're not too long. Want to get them as soon as possible and will be holding off on watching tv until then.
    Hey Block (8.

For the Denon 2700 and the B&W M1's in white would be 879 Euro delivered.

Pm sent

Pm sent
    Cheers Block (8.

We are closed at the moment but one of my colleagues will pick up the PM in the morning and revert back.
    (I'm off for a few days now to move house)

Hi Kenny

Received the amp, speakers and cables. I’ve been at it for days but cannot get any sound from the pre out into an amp.

I’m still stuck at the initial speaker setup and the first speaker it asks if there’s any sound, which is the left front, I answer no and it asks me to check if the speaker is connected.

I’ve tried 2 different amps and 2 phono cables connecting the pre out to my amplifiers.
    I’ve searched the net and looked through the manual but can’t find the answer.
    The pre out zone 2 on the denon is connected to my home cinema bypass in both of my amps.
    It’s probably something simple but it’s getting frustrating now.

Only thing I can think of is do you need to connect the front speakers by wires first and then get to some menu to switch on the pre out? At the moment my speaker cables are banana plugs and the denon doesn’t take it.

Any help appreciated.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi Kenny

Received the amp, speakers and cables. I’ve been at it for days but cannot get any sound from the pre out into an amp.

I’m still stuck at the initial speaker setup and the first speaker it asks if there’s any sound, which is the left front, I answer no and it asks me to check if the speaker is connected.

I’ve tried 2 different amps and 2 phono cables connecting the pre out to my amplifiers.
    The pre out zone 2 on the denon is connected to my home cinema bypass in both of my amps.

Only thing I can think of is do you need to connect the front speakers by wires first and then get to some menu to switch on the pre out? At the moment my speaker cables are banana plugs and the denon doesn’t take it.

Any help appreciated.
    Hi Block8,

Are you looking to bi amp the speakers via the Zone 2 Pre out?

If so you would need to change the "amp assign" settings on the amplifier which configures the pre out to what you'd like them to do!

Give this setting a go and let me know how you get on!

Kind regards

David

Hi Kenny

Any help appreciated.
    Hi Block (8.

Sorry to hear you are having an issue.

If you connect them up to the front left and right speaker terminals on the amp do you get sound from them?

The test tone will not go via the pre out and only operates off of the speaker terminals on the amp.
    The pre out is for a 2nd Zone so you need to turn Zone 2 on on the 2700 also.

You had not mentioned that you wanted to run the 2nd amp as front speakers. You just said you want to us it when not watching movies.
    Zone 2 would allow you to do this but it would not allow you to use them as the Front left and right for home cinema.

To do this you would require an amp with 5.1 or 7.1 speaker pre outs.
    This is rare unless you go into the top of the range amps.

Like the AVCX3700 priced at £999
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14136-denon-avcx3700-black-dolby-atmos-and-dts-x-av-amplifier.aspx

If you are not happy with thew 2700 you can return it to us for a refund.

Hi Kenny

I somehow missed your post but read David’s post on Tuesday. It’s been a hectic couple of days and only gotten around this afternoon to go at it again switching the settings from amp assign to biamp which gives no sound except the middle height speakers only to read your post just now.

Sorry if I wasn’t being clear, I mentioned preout in my original post because I thought that will enable me to use my original amp for the front speakers.

Can I exchange the denon for the AVCX3700 or if there is any around the 2700 price?
    I’ve been very careful in opening the denon and kept all the packaging.

Hi Kenny

I somehow missed your post but read David’s post on Tuesday. It’s been a hectic couple of days and only gotten around this afternoon to go at it again switching the settings from amp assign to biamp which gives no sound except the middle height speakers only to read your post just now.

Sorry if I wasn’t being clear, I mentioned preout in my original post because I thought that will enable me to use my original amp for the front speakers.

Can I exchange the denon for the AVCX3700 or if there is any around the 2700 price?
    I’ve been very careful in opening the denon and kept all the packaging.
    Hey Block (8.

The 3700 would be the cheapest AV receiver with front left and right phono outs at the moment.

I could go to £900 delivered on it.

I would be able to get the 2700 collected at the same time and returned to us.

I'll do another check to see if there is anything else that will do it cheaper but I don't think there is.

Thanks Kenny please get back to me on that.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks Kenny please get back to me on that.
    No problem Block8, we'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement

Hi

Did you get around to having a look? Had a quick look myself on what's available on your website and it seems the yamahas may have pre outs for the main speakers.

Could you get back to me today? I'd like to put in an order as soon as possible because I was holding off some movies and tv series over Xmas, thanks.

Hi

Did you get around to having a look? Had a quick look myself on what's available on your website and it seems the yamahas may have pre outs for the main speakers.

Could you get back to me today? I'd like to put in an order as soon as possible because I was holding off some movies and tv series over Xmas, thanks.
    Hi Block (8.

Sorry for the delay. I was off for a few days on my days off.

It seems the 4700 is the cheapest option with speaker pre outs if you want to use the separate amp for the front left and right speakers.

However if you have seen a cheaper Yamaha let me know and I'll check it out.
    I had looked at the RXV4 and 6 and they did not have them.

Hi Kenny

I looked at the specs in your website for the RXV4 /6 and it says “pre out yes” so I thought that was the requirement.

I’ll go ahead 4700 in that case, wasn’t going to spend that much but the m1s are up and the cables are cut so I will just proceed with it.
    Do you give me a call or do you still have my details?

Hi Kenny

I looked at the specs in your website for the RXV4 /6 and it says “pre out yes” so I thought that was the requirement.

I’ll go ahead 4700 in that case, wasn’t going to spend that much but the m1s are up and the cables are cut so I will just proceed with it.
    Do you give me a call or do you still have my details?
    Hey Block (8.

The pre outs on the RXV4 and 6 are the same as the pre outs on the AVRX2700.

I'll drop you a call in the morning to sort out the 4700.

Hi Kenny 

Didn’t get the call in the morning so tried your number but I don’t think you’re open?

Hi Kenny 

Didn’t get the call in the morning so tried your number but I don’t think you’re open?
    Hi Block (8.

Sorry for the delay.

Its been flat out for me today here at the store getting orders dispatched.

Our Belfast store is currently closed because of the COVID restrictions in place but there are still guys ansering the phones and we are fully operational for deliveries as normal.

I'll get you a call ASAP.

Hi Kenny

Still received no call from yourself or anyone from Richer Sounds.

Hi Kenny

Still received no call from yourself or anyone from Richer Sounds.
    Hi Block (8.

Apologies :(

I will get you a call within the next 15 minutes.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.