Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change from oil to gas, do I have to change radiators?

Options
  • 07-12-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

So our oil boiler went bust a few weeks ago. It is cold!

First question, I spent a while researching oil vs gas, and every supplier seemed to have a different opinion on which is cheaper long term. Don't mind paying a bit more for installation if Gas is better in the long run?

Second question: I had a Gas company out to assess/quote. They said I would need to replace all (10) radiators as well as the piping under the floor, because our rads our quite old and a gas system is pressurized. With this he estimated the cost at circa €6000. I was surprised that the system would be pressurized as I thought once the water is heated it's just circulated through the rads the same way?

Third question: If it is then impossible to change to gas without changing all the radiators, is it likely that just replacing the oil boiler (€3000) is gonna mean the old radiators are going to go one by one anyway and I should just get it done? He said the copper pipes should be changed for plastic, and that way there are no fittings under the floor that would go bust in the future.

Thanks for your input!

Advertisement