Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Refit Advice Needed please

Options
  • 07-12-2020 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Looking for advice on building works for a house.. Want to add a downstairs toilet.. Options are fit downstairs toilet and replace garden shed so that the shed can be used as an outdoor utility/laundry room/shed/office space or add a single storey extension to the back of the house (North facing garden) to include a wet room, toilet and utility.. with velux windows.. No idea what would work out best/most reasonable price.. or what’s the best way to approach this?? Would appreciate any help/advice? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

From a usability point of view (and a resale point of view) the single storey extension wins. But likely to be more expensive. Using an outdoor laundry/utility rooms is impractical. Why not get some quotes for both options?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dineel

I’m thinking that the single storey extension would involve a new kitchen and could be very expensive.. We plan to stay here for life so resale not really something that we are worried about.. but if the difference between the two was marginal, I would probably go with the extension then.. Do I start with an architect or a builder? Not even sure where to start for quotes? Any advice? Thanks

dineel wrote: »
    I’m thinking that the single storey extension would involve a new kitchen and could be very expensive.. We plan to stay here for life so resale not really something that we are worried about.. but if the difference between the two was marginal, I would probably go with the extension then.. Do I start with an architect or a builder? Not even sure where to start for quotes? Any advice? Thanks

My tuppence worth.

<60m2 to rear doesn't need planning.
    You don't need an architect unless you want something bespoke etc. Sounds like a simple job.

Get a construction engineer to do your drawings and specifications. Get prices off builders, go with who you prefer, your engineer can sign off for the bank if you're borrowing.

Whats your budget?

Approximately 20k. Maybe a little with it but don't want to go mad as don't think there is a need for it as only two of us living in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Approximately 20k. Maybe a little with it but don't want to go mad as don't think there is a need for it as only two of us living in the house.
    For an extension, you are looking at 2k per m2 so you're probably better off not extending and simply do the internal works with the shed option. Ask around the area you live in for a good handy builder or carpenter. Small builders at the moment are very, very busy as people remodel their homes rather than put up with the hassle of moving.

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I think that too.. I know some people say an outside utility/laundry room is impractical but the garden is small so it's literally a 20 second journey from the back door to the garage/utility.
    I think I might try to get quotes for both and reassess then.. Should I start with an architect or a builder?..

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I think that too.. I know some people say an outside utility/laundry room is impractical but the garden is small so it's literally a 20 second journey from the back door to the garage/utility.
    I think I might try to get quotes for both and reassess then.. Should I start with an architect or a builder?..
    For that scale of works I'd go straight to a builder or a good carpenter that works in the locality. best of luck!

You don't need an architect.
    For either option.

20k sounds light for the extension.
    3 or 4 k would get you a decent insulated shed.

You don't need an architect.
    For either option.

20k sounds light for the extension.
    3 or 4 k would get you a decent insulated shed.
    Thanks for that.. Any shed recommendations? Not keen on the steel look ones..

Thanks for that.. Any shed recommendations? Not keen on the steel look ones..

I was looking at steel ones, they come with decent looking cladding now.
    Try Steeltech or A1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

20 seconds on a sunny dry day is nothing. 20 seconds in the cold rain when you realise you forgot to take items out of the dryer you need for the next morning, is quite a pain. I would strongly recommend getting quotes for both.
    If you go for the shed option, can you create a sheltered walkway for the 20 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Diziet wrote: »
    20 seconds on a sunny dry day is nothing. 20 seconds in the cold rain when you realise you forgot to take items out of the dryer you need for the next morning, is quite a pain. I would strongly recommend getting quotes for both.
    If you go for the shed option, can you create a sheltered walkway for the 20 seconds?

This. We have a garage that is separate from the house and we have the chest freezer in there. When it's freezing out and it's pouring rain, I hate going out. I'd rather have to make a creative dinner from the random stuff in the cupboard than go out in the rain.

I'm renovating the house next year and that's one thing I'm really looking forward to getting rid of

Advertisement