Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potential issue with neighbour and kittens

• 07-12-2020 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭

We took in 3 kittens about 7/8 months ago, they were only 2/3 weeks at the time so we basically hand raised them. The initial plan was to only keep 1 but we couldn't bear to let any go so we kept all 3. I guess the bond that we developed when we had to raise them was pretty strong.

Anyway, I know this will attract differing opinions, but we do let them out - they get outside for maybe 2 hours a day in total and are called back inside after a short period. I think cats go crazy if not allowed outside, but obviously there are safety risks with letting them outside. Which brings me to my point.

A few weeks ago these two boys (supposedly neighbours in a row at the back of my house) asked if the "stray cats" were mine, after I noticed him trying to catch/chase them just outside my house. I said they were, but I felt like this child was a bit suspect. Anyway flashforward to tonight, when he called to my door - this child by the way, no adult - during Covid, and said that he was afraid of cats and didn't want them in his garden.

I have no issue with them giving the cats a spray of water of whatever if they wander into his garden. The cats would get the message soon enough, but something about this felt almost like an implicit threat against them. This event, coupled with their behaviour a few weeks ago has me feeling extremely uneasy and I'm not sure how to proceed.

1. I could do nothing and let them out still as was.
    2. I could keep them inside which really isn't an option at this point as they have become used to outdoors and love it.
    3. I could call to the house and suggest the water method, but I'm afraid that will only encourage them to terrorise them.
    4. I could call to the house and say something along the lines that I have reported the visit from the children to the DSPCA to ask for advice on how to proceed for the benefit of all parties.

Advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, there are a lot of people out there who have a strong dislike of cats. There are those that will take matters into their own hands if cats are using their garden as a toilet, sitting on their car etc. Cat owners take a huge risk to their pets welfare by letting them roam. Just last week a lady was telling me her cat had disappeared after complaints by a neighbour were not dealt with. Even though she has an inkling that the cats disappearance is something to do with the neighbour she has no proof. Please keep your cats safe by keeping them in. There are many ways you can enrich their lives without letting them roam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Would you consider building an enclosed structure in your garden (Google "catio" for ideas)... Personally there is no way I'd let cats wander freely. If you just keep them indoors, yes they will give out for a few days, but you'll be surprised how quickly they get used to it. It's the safest option for them.

Advertisement