Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Break,is it a Half Day on Tuesday 22nd?

Options
  • 07-12-2020 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

As Norma has decided teachers get our Christmas Break on Tuesday December 22nd this year.
    Various Media have said its a half day but speaking to a number of colleagues around the country it seems some schools ARE getting a half day while others have to do the full day.Of course there is no longer any goodwill as far as teaching goes.
    Unfortunately,again,its the penny pinching ETBs that are predominantly doing a full day on the Tuesday..........................so much for all the FRONTLINE work done since late August and all the ZOOM meetings during June and first part of August.................eaten bread soon forgotten!
    Have you noticed all the time Management have been away from school during the past few months.......................but sure didnt they "work" in the Summer,..........and teachers do not get Covid!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

Works out half day for us, staggered finishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Christmas exams on.. So yeah half day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

Half day in our place.

Custom and practice is to have a half day at Christmas and end of year so we get it. I know other schools where it’s not considered custom and practice so they do full days at holidays. Painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Half day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

We get a half-day for Christmas and summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Full day, not a chance of getting even one minute off !! I am far from happy about it, as are the rest of the staff but management don’t care. Was always a 12.00 finish until new management came a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

solerina wrote: »
    Full day, not a chance of getting even one minute off !! I am far from happy about it, as are the rest of the staff but management don’t care. Was always a 12.00 finish until new management came a few years ago.

What do you even do all day? Do kids come in? What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think i will do few fun subject related quizes that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Smacruairi wrote: »
    What do you even do all day? Do kids come in? What's the point?

All non exam classes have exams right up to the end of the school day, they must finish on a core subject (just in case anyone may get off early). Non exam classes have a normal school day.
    It totally sucks all good will from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i think i will do few fun subject related quizes that day.

The Monday and Tuesday will be wall to wall word-searches, quizzes and Christmas tunes.

Young lads will be in the form for shag all else, nor will I :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

solerina wrote: »
    All non exam classes have exams right up to the end of the school day, they must finish on a core subject (just in case anyone may get off early). Non exam classes have a normal school day.
    It totally sucks all good will from everyone.

That's the scroogiest thing I've ever heard. We're finishing on the 18th as the 21st was the only day we could book the deep-cleaning company..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The Monday and Tuesday will be wall to wall word-searches, quizzes and Christmas tunes.

I will be studying the sociology and anthropology of the film 'Elf' and possibly a comparative of the film 'Home Alone'

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

dory wrote: »
    That's the scroogiest thing I've ever heard. We're finishing on the 18th as the 21st was the only day we could book the deep-cleaning company..... :)

Niceee

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Obviously many Principals acting Scrooge and being Lackeys for their Paymasters in Ivory Towers.

But,have you noticed how these "brillant people have kept the schools open" according to some broadsheet news reports.....................yet many of them have NOT been in school all the time since 30th August.They could not be at meetings either so where could they have been.
    I laughed when I saw one of you mentioned "Goodwill",that @gift@ has been gone for the last 10 years.

Wonder what the Inspectors are doing since last March? Money for old rope there! No accountability either,shower of cnuts.

A colleague had an arguement with an Industrial Relations Rep the other day,(one of the BIG unions),and the official went out of their way to support and back up the fcukin sh1t being thrown at the frontline teacher,I could not get over it .She said she told the official who actually pays the officials wages....not that it will do much good!

Every union member should email their union NOW before Christmas to vent their anger at DAMN all being done for frontline staff.
    Remember what happened back at Easter when our break was destroyed by an idiot of a Union Official who went to the media on a solo run,ignoring the thousands of emails in her in box protesting at what was happening to the frontline teacher.Expect the same thing to happen when certain Media will run with a story of trying to keep the schools closed for a longer period than the holiday suggests.

Did you notice we,education providers ,are at number 11,(out of 13 !) for the vaccine distributuion!!! It was only last week that we were supposed to be behind healthcare providers!
    Of course we all know teachers do NOT get Covid......and neither do students....(bearing in mind that if a student goes for a test after 4.00pm its not counted as a SCHOOL CASE,if a student goes during the school day it is counted as a school case! Guess when most students go for their test,the good old HSE sets it up for the majority so that it will not read as a SCHOOL CASE.

Enjoy whatever you do on the day of the Holidays,whether it be a half day,a full day or a really full day with CP at the end of it!
    Enjoy the break it is well deserved for the people that have been present both in school and online after school since last March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Ha same but i probably will have to keep it to Tuesday and work normally Monday. Mine wont want to do anything and their all girls so no different to young lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

ethical wrote: »
    Did you notice we,education providers ,are at number 11,(out of 13 !) for the vaccine distributuion!!! It was only last week that we were supposed to be behind healthcare providers!
    Fine by me. I’m not anti-vaccination, but I’ll be perfectly happy for there to be plenty of guinea pigs in line ahead of me for a vaccine produced and supposedly safety tested in less than twelve months when it usually takes years.

Advertisement