Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maximise space in a room

• 07-12-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello,

I’m helping with turning an L-shape box room into a bedroom for a teenager. There isn’t room to swing a cat and once a bed goes it it will take up must of the space the “foot” of the L. There is already a wardrobe in the other section by the door.

I was thinking an armchair bed like the Boom Sofa Bed on SLF24.ie (I can’t post links) but €466 is way out outside my friends budget. And I think that the kid needs a proper seat for relaxing in (she is getting projector for Christmas) and a proper desk and chair for using her laptop. I can’t imagine being hunched over a laptop on a bed is good for a child’s back

And I’ve spent time in places a cramped bedroom - there is just no comfort.

Can anyone direct me to a less expensive chair bed (it does need to have arms) or even alternative ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like you want a loft bed/high sleeper. This'll give you a full single bed as well as a desk underneath. You can get them in configurations that would allow her a "nook" beside the desk where she could stick a bean bag or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lost one

seamus wrote: »
    Sounds like you want a loft bed/high sleeper. This'll give you a full single bed as well as a desk underneath. You can get them in configurations that would allow her a "nook" beside the desk where she could stick a bean bag or something.

I had not thought of loft beds and it is a good idea but I’m not sure that would work.

I forgot to explain that the “foot” of the L is not wide enough to take a bed parallel to the gable wall and a lift bed wound obstruct the projector.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lost one

seamus wrote: »

Actually I really like your suggestion.

Maybe we could get a carpenter to make a lift bed that would fit along the gable? Or a carpenter could adjust a store bought bed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have a small house, I'm well used to maximising space :D

You could definitely get a carpenter / cabinet maker to build a fitted loft bed into the space. Best thing about this approach is that you can absolutely minimise wasted space and add in extra storage to every nook and cranny. An off-the-shelf bed won't do that for you.

Downside is that a good job won't be cheap, certainly not the sub-€400 budget you're talking about. I generally tend to feel that the extra money is well spent getting the right furniture in, if at all possible. Always worth asking around for quotes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

We have a small box room with space maximised by a custom made (by me) loft bed. The bed is about 1.6 meters off the ground, which gives enough height for my 12 yo to sit up on the bed and read without having to hunch over. There is a wardrobe to the left of the bed underneath it and this supports one end of the bed. The other end is supported by two legs. The bed frame is an adapted IKEA single bed. I got two of them on adverts for €25 and made one loft bed out of the two frames. The wardrobe was already there, i just cut it down to make it the right height for the bed to sit on. We put a curtain on the wardrobe rather than a door to save space. There is a standard ikea desk and under the bed also, with a folding ikea chair. I also added some shelves and cubby holes at the head of the bed for some storage. Total cost for this was less than €200 with adverts providing the bed frames, and a sheet of 15mm mdf to make the shelves and the cost of desk, chair and curtain material from Ikea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

There's quite a few loft bed options using Ikea products that won't break the bank - just search ikea bed hack on youtube. Ikea do sell loft beds well under 400 but you are limited with size where as with the loft bed hacks you have more flexibility on the size/shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

I've got a mid sleeper bed and one of these fold out desks in our son's room, can also get a high sleeper
    Check out vipack high sleeper, good prices from meubles or jellybean websites the have price wars on vipack beds,
    Also use wood glue on dowels makes it super strong when assembled.
    Here's a link to the desk Link: https://craftelier.com/en-ie/we-r-memory-keepers-fold-down-craft-table.html
    Also purchased some shelves from Amazon built specifically to to house hotwheels cars
    Looks good and saves space

Here's some pictures of our son's room also put floating box's close to ceiling housing satellite box and virgin media box, TV on opposite wall everything plugged in to attic on a time clock automatically shuts off at 8pm

po6dTda9j

povGLp7kj

pnRLroJsj

pn61FPAFj

poqgazsSj

Advertisement