Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the gaa (in the north) inherently sectarian?

Options
  • 07-12-2020 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭

I am not from the gaa community (actually a unionist) but I have seen increasing evidence of the gaa being sectarian (in the north).
    I took it as red growing up. The Ira colour party changing uniforms each Easter parade in my local gaa club. My local club also hosting the wolf tonnes and their ira chants etc.
    I suppose I accepted almost every group was sucked into the sectarian devide during the troubles and gave them a by ball.
    But it seems to be increasing in 2020 while everyone else is moving on. eg
    We had the Tyrone senior team shouting IRA at a band of young Protestant girls from their team coach.
    We had a all ireland winning down player cautioned for shouting ira at Protestants in a local seaside resort.
    And I have just viewed a video of the Armagh ladies team all chanting oh ah up the ra

What is going on. If a loyalist band, never mind a soccer team, was chanting U U UVF there would rightly be uproar.

Why is there such extreme levels of sectarianism in the gaa? Remember they are chanting about a group that waged a sectarian war on their neighbours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The GAA isn't a sectarian organisation, what you're describing is some members partaking in stupidity, but some members do not make an organisation.

Also, if I recall correctly op, you're a great man for the orange order, the band parades, the 11th night bonfire's etc etc.

The orange order is the epitome of sectarianism.

/Thread

I am not from the gaa community (actually a unionist)

Which colours the rest of your post. You might deny it, but that prejudices your argument to a certain extent. When I see you conflating the GAA with "extreme" sectarianism I'm more than a little suspicious. Ultimately there are a minority of eejits who act the maggot, but they in no way represent the civilised majority. Anyone shouting "up the RA" at these gatherings is a fully fledged imbecile, however I wouldn't be overly hasty in tarring the GAA with the sectarian brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

McMurphy wrote: »
    The GAA isn't a sectarian organisation, what you're describing is some members partaking in stupidity, but some members do not make an organisation.

Also, if I recall correctly op, you're a great man for the orange order, the band parades, the 11th night bonfire's etc etc.

The orange order is the epitome of sectarianism.

/Thread

I don’t disagree that the orange order is sectarian and some of the behaviour at some of the 11th night bonfires is sectarian but I think few would disagree with that.
    I just gave a few examples of gaa stuff that suggests it’s sectarian. I could go on about the hunger strike jerseys etc.
    I have only been to two gaa games and at one of them ( a Tyrone country game) they were collecting at the gate for the Columbian 3 This would never happen at a soccer match afaik

I am not from the gaa community (actually a unionist)

Which colours the rest of your post. You might deny it, but that prejudices your argument to a certain extent. When I see you conflating the GAA with "extreme" sectarianism I'm more than a little suspicious. Ultimately there are a minority of eejits who act the maggot, but they in no way represent the civilised majority. Anyone shouting "up the RA" at these gatherings is a fully fledged imbecile, however I wouldn't be overly hasty in tarring the GAA with the sectarian brush.

Will the problem is that just this year both the Tyrone senior team and the Armagh ladies are videotaped chanting pro Ira stuff. So mind boggles at how much does not end up on video.
    These are not a few idiots

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What ever happened to Keith? Did he get banned or closed his account? Say what you like about him but he was a mainstay of these kind of threads for years

• Advertisement

The July 12th marchers are sectarian supremacists. The GAA not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

downcow wrote: »
    I don’t disagree that the orange order is sectarian and some of the behaviour at some of the 11th night bonfires is sectarian but I think few would disagree with that.
    I just gave a few examples of gaa stuff that suggests it’s sectarian. I could go on about the hunger strike jerseys etc.
    I have only been to two gaa games and at one of them ( a Tyrone country game) they were collecting at the gate for the Columbian 3 This would never happen at a soccer match afaik

Any thoughts on Linfield's away kit?

The July 12th marchers are sectarian supremacists.

Why do you guys always equate the gaa with the orange order

• Registered Users Posts: 19,855 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How are you expecting us to understand, never mind explain, the actions of Nordies?

Is the GAA inherently sectarian? No, I wouldn't say so.
    Are some of it's members up North sectarian? Probably, yeah

I wouldn't say it is exactly unique now either
    Is FIFA sectarian? No, I wouldn't say so.
    Are some of its members up North sectarian? Probably, yeah

Or in general:
    Is <organisation> inherently sectarian? No, I wouldn't say so.

How are you expecting us to understand, never mind explain, the actions of Nordies?

Is the GAA inherently sectarian? No, I wouldn't say so.
    Are some of it's members up North sectarian? Probably, yeah

I wouldn't say it is exactly unique now either
    Is FIFA sectarian? No, I wouldn't say so.

Or in general:
    Is <organisation> inherently sectarian?

Lol. Great post. And closer to the truth than I’d like to admit

Mind you I could be wrong but I don’t think a senior soccer team on any side of the devide has ever been guilty of paramilitary chants. We have two senior gaa teams in a matter of months.
    There is something different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A unionist referring to the 6 counties as "the north" is progress OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

I remember we played northern ireland up in Windsor park about 20 years ago n their wasn't a sniff of bigotry from the northern fans!
    The nordies manager billy bingham was ahead of his time n extended the hand of friendship to us up there! Definitely a catholic gaa thing only op!

enricoh wrote: »
    I remember we played northern ireland up in Windsor park about 20 years ago n their wasn't a sniff of bigotry from the northern fans!
    The nordies manager billy bingham was ahead of his time n extended the hand of friendship to us up there! Definitely a catholic gaa thing only op!

Can you imagine the ni team gathering in the changing rooms afterwards to chant ‘the u the u the Uvf’. What would you have thought? Honestly?
    And that was last century. We are talking 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

I once heard it said that the GAA is ‘the orange order for catholics’

While a bit tongue in cheek, it’s closer to the truth in the 6 counties than not.

I don’t think exclusion is inherently an aim of the GAA, it’s just the way things have developed within the membership over time

Why do you guys always equate the gaa with the orange order

Why dont you clean up the utter bollocks in your own community before complaining about the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭dobman88

I am not from the gaa community (actually a unionist) but I have seen increasing evidence of the gaa being sectarian (in the north).
    I took it as red growing up. The Ira colour party changing uniforms each Easter parade in my local gaa club. My local club also hosting the wolf tonnes and their ira chants etc.
    I suppose I accepted almost every group was sucked into the sectarian devide during the troubles and gave them a by ball.
    But it seems to be increasing in 2020 while everyone else is moving on. eg
    We had the Tyrone senior team shouting IRA at a band of young Protestant girls from their team coach.
    We had a all ireland winning down player cautioned for shouting ira at Protestants in a local seaside resort.
    And I have just viewed a video of the Armagh ladies team all chanting oh ah up the ra

What is going on. If a loyalist band, never mind a soccer team, was chanting U U UVF there would rightly be uproar.

Why is there such extreme levels of sectarianism in the gaa? Remember they are chanting about a group that waged a sectarian war on their neighbours.

Any links to the Tyrone senior team shouting abuse at kids? First I've heard of it and I would have expected it to be big news. I remember it made headlines when they sang a Republican song on a bus so I'd expect verbally abusing kids to definitely make news

Wheres the video of the Armagh team? Cant find that either.

One man saying something sounds plausible, as it's just one person being a moron but again I cant find a link if you could enlighten me. Thanks.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Any links to the Tyrone senior team shouting abuse at kids? First I've heard of it and I would have expected it to be big news. I remember it made headlines when they sang a Republican song on a bus so I'd expect verbally abusing kids to definitely make news

One man saying something sounds plausible, as it's just one person being a moron but again I cant find a link if you could enlighten me. Thanks.

https://politics.ie/threads/gaa-the-mask-slips-yet-again.272237/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-55223639

This just references the song I already mentioned. Have you got an actual source besides an anonymous post on an open forum. Also that post says, apparently someone can be heard saying something. Which again, would be one moronic individual, a far cry from a senior gaa team shouting at young girls as you mentioned

That's indefensible stupidity and I'd expect some kind of action taken by the county board and camogie association. No place for that carry on

• Advertisement

That's indefensible stupidity and I'd expect some kind of action taken by the county board and camogie association. No place for that carry on

Thanks dobman I appreciate your response. Much more effective in building my confidence in the gaa than some of the denial going on from other posters

This just references the song I already mentioned. Have you got an actual source besides an anonymous post on an open forum. Also that post says, apparently someone can be heard saying something. Which again, would be one moronic individual, a far cry from a senior gaa team shouting at young girls as you mentioned

https://www.tyronecourier.co.uk/news/2019/07/09/gallery/tyrone-gaa-apology-over-aughnacloy-bus-chant-5289/

Yeah, the song again and one individual who may have shouted something. Think you'd agree you overstated it when you said the Tyrone gaa senior team were shouting at young girls. It's one moron.

I'm not defending it, theres absolutely no place for it in the GAA where the emphasis is on inclusion and one person shouting is one too many but you dont need to partake in hyperbole on the other end either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Not sure ladies football has anything to do with the GAA anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Some players appear to be shouting: "Ooh ah, up the Ra".
    Armagh Camogie should just release a statement saying that their players were of course referring to the IRA of the Tan War period which we all know is ok to sing about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Can you imagine the ni team gathering in the changing rooms afterwards to chant ‘the u the u the Uvf’.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

vicwatson wrote: »
    Not sure ladies football has anything to do with the GAA anyway

Correct. GAA and LGFA (Ladies Gaelic Football Association) are 2 separate organisations. But the video refers to the Armagh camogie team and the Camogie is also a separate organisation, nothing to do with the GAA.

Still no place for any sectarianism in any association.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I'm of an east Donegal protestant background (born in 89 and grew up after the GF agreement) and played Gaelic growing up and support the Donegal team. I was far from the only of a similar background in my area either.

I can still remember after going to watch my very first Donegal game when i was 8/9 having our car pelted by my dear co-religionists in Castlederg as we went home.

This an an utterly pointless 'Them'uns' post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

enricoh wrote: »
    It was actually all of 27 years ago when the IFA anti-sectarianism jamboree took place in Windsor Park. Despite having nothing to play for the Northern fans can only be commended for their words of encouragement for the Republic's players as they sought to qualify for USA 94.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement