Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the gaa (in the north) inherently sectarian?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

NOT AT ALL.

If you think the GAA is INHERENTLY sectarian ..imo YOU are sectarian.

The ORANGE ORDER is an example of an inherently sectarian organization OP. You have the right join the GAA as a protestant.

I think you have a weird warped perception tbh OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

NOT AT ALL.

If you think the GAA is INHERENTLY sectarian ..imo YOU are sectarian.

The ORANGE ORDER is an example of an inherently sectarian organization OP. You have the right join the GAA as a protestant.

I think you have a weird warped perception tbh OP.

Well using your theory then, churches, the Oo, religious orders, etc are all sectarian while the UDR, Ira, gaa, loyalists bands are not sectarian as they allow members from all faiths.
    Seems nonsense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RoversCeltic

How are you expecting us to understand, never mind explain, the actions of Nordies?

Is the GAA inherently sectarian? No, I wouldn't say so.
    Are some of it's members up North sectarian? Probably, yeah

I wouldn't say it is exactly unique now either
    Is FIFA sectarian? No, I wouldn't say so.
    Are some of its members up North sectarian? Probably, yeah

Or in general:
    Is <organisation> inherently sectarian? No, I wouldn't say so.
    Are some of its members up North sectarian? Probably, yeah

FIFA doesnt have rules & aims that are political & xenophobic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I am not from the gaa community (actually a unionist)

Which colours the rest of your post. You might deny it, but that prejudices your argument to a certain extent. When I see you conflating the GAA with "extreme" sectarianism I'm more than a little suspicious. Ultimately there are a minority of eejits who act the maggot, but they in no way represent the civilised majority. Anyone shouting "up the RA" at these gatherings is a fully fledged imbecile, however I wouldn't be overly hasty in tarring the GAA with the sectarian brush.

I am not a unionist, and while I no longer play GAA, I certainly used to, and I can understand why, when someone from the unionist background sees GAA trophies and GAA grounds being named after dead IRA bombers, that they might feel feel somewhat excluded by the organisation.

OP - the thing is that is that the county boards has a large degree of autonomy in some areas, and they can (perhaps justifiably) argue that these things like naming trophies after IRA bombers is reflective of the views of their members.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,855 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So what? I never said it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

A bit ironic coming from a supporter of two clubs whose ultras or whatever they call themselves try to make far leftism a criteria for supporting them. At least Celtic have sufficiently large of a fan base to just ignore them. rovers, not so much.

If jealous FAI supporters and unionists don't like the GAA, well then there is no one forcing them to. No sane GAA person is obsessed with the squalid affairs of either of the offshoots here of the English FA.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    A bit ironic coming from a supporter of two clubs whose ultras or whatever they call themselves try to make far leftism a criteria for supporting them. At least Celtic have sufficiently large of a fan base to just ignore them. rovers, not so much.

no idea what that means but the GAA has a stated goal of creating a United Ireland

Sports & Politics do not mix yet the GAA has a goal that excludes a significant chunk of people on this island

Rovers and bohs supporters - when not battering one another on the streets before matches - have adopted all the trappings of far leftism - PLO flags, "Anti fascist" stuff, etc.

That's way more in your face political than anything to see at any GAA match.

The GAA was founded as a nationalist cultural organisation just as was Conradh na Gaeilige, Ceomhltas etc. Hardly a secret.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Rovers and bohs supporters - when not battering one another on the streets before matches - have adopted all the trappings of far leftism - PLO flags, "Anti fascist" stuff, etc.

That's way more in your face political than anything to see at any GAA match.

The GAA was founded as a nationalist cultural organisation just as was Conradh na Gaeilige, Ceomhltas etc. Hardly a secret.

The GAA has as one of its aim is to promote a United Ireland & is not a normal sporting organisation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

downcow wrote: »
    Lol. Great post. And closer to the truth than I’d like to admit

Mind you I could be wrong but I don’t think a senior soccer team on any side of the devide has ever been guilty of paramilitary chants. We have two senior gaa teams in a matter of months.
    There is something different

You must have missed the Dundalk V Linfield games last year.

https://www.google.com/search?q=linfield+paratrooper+flag&safe=strict&rlz=1C1GCEJ_en&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=AILx5eyrspmuVM%252CO7783kuO7HRhmM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQBGDaP9xfIjVKRRJw9L8Qo_9TjvA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjs2aWWyb7tAhViUBUIHeR6DWYQ9QF6BAgOEAE#imgrc=AILx5eyrspmuVM

https://www.the42.ie/unite-the-union-champions-cup-dundalk-linfield-vinny-perth-4887831-Nov2019/

• Advertisement

The GAA has as one of its aim is to promote a United Ireland & is not a normal sporting organisation

Ireland is not a normal country! GAA reflects the cultural revolution that stopped us becoming an offshore Macclesfield as some of the Dublin left would have liked. Werkers unity and all that boll0x.

Anyway, you have avoided the question as to why the GAA ought to be held to some non political criteria when Bohs and Rovers are like the Irish St. Pauli shoving the ultra leftism of a small minority onto everyone who supports the teams?

I know a lifelong Rovers supporter from Rathgar who is died in wool blueshirt!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

I am not from the gaa community (actually a unionist).

You're an Ulster unionist? Doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,855 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Which rule number is that? Or is it perhaps published on it's mission statement?

Maybe you think that it has that aim because it is an All-Ireland body?

Like the similar organisations the IRFU and Cricket Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The North is inherently sectarian. The sooner we get them into some sort of 32 county set up the sooner they'll leave that nonsense behind

Given that the FAI was run like some sort of African kleptocracy its not suprising that it was seen as an ideal home the loonie left St Pauli eejits. Government should have cut the whole lot loose and let them start from scratch with a mountain of debt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It's 'Ooh Ah Up Armagh' ffs, a non story OP, sorry to disappoint

You're an Ulster unionist? Doubt that.

Yeah, well spotted. That is sort of the issue

It's 'Ooh Ah Up Armagh' ffs, a non story OP, sorry to disappoint

You are so so blinkered. Have you listened to the video.
    It is definitely not ‘up Armagh’.

Yeah, well spotted. That is sort of the issue

Why did you lie in your OP Sir?

Why did you lie in your OP Sir?

I’m not known for my lies. Please do tell me where I lied. A fairly serious accusation.

• Advertisement

I doubted you're an Ulster Unionist and you appeared to agree that you aren't despite initially saying you were.

I doubted you're an Ulster Unionist and you appeared to agree that you aren't despite initially saying you were.

Doubting someone is fair and legitimate Calling someone a liar based on your incorrect doubts is unacceptable.
    Would you like to withdraw your accusation that I am a liar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Why are people engaging with this obvious troll?

Doubting someone is fair and legitimate Calling someone a liar based on your incorrect doubts is unacceptable.
    Would you like to withdraw your accusation that I am a liar?

Perhaps I read your above post wrong when you said well spotted?

Anyway you're about as much an Ulster Unionist as I am and I'm a Dub :)

Perhaps I read your above post wrong when you said well spotted?

Anyway you're about as much an Ulster Unionist as I am and I'm a Dub :)

Perhaps!

I did not refer to myself as an Ulster Unionist as in UUP, but I can assure you that is where my loyalties lie - a very long way from the irrational, self-serving DUP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You are so so blinkered. Have you listened to the video.
    It is definitely not ‘up Armagh’.

Of course i have watched the video, i could hardly comment otherwise

Is there a link to it and everyone here can decide for themselves

Here we go.
    I would love to hear what you guys think. I have tried mouthing Armagh to it. Unfortunately for the gaa it doesn’t work

https://mobile.twitter.com/mvmccu/status/1335964315313180672

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Here we go.
    I would love to hear what you guys think. I have tried mouthing Armagh to it. Unfortunately for the gaa it doesn’t work

https://mobile.twitter.com/mvmccu/status/1335964315313180672
    Here's a slightly longer video of the same thing. It is clearly "Up Armagh" they are singing.
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=947011459163923

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Here's a slightly longer video of the same thing. It is clearly "Up Armagh" they are singing.
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=947011459163923

It's pretty clear in that video alright.

Non story OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement