Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the gaa (in the north) inherently sectarian?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Mad_Maxx and I mean this with all due respect but I think both of your replies to my posts are completely and utterly delusional. Join the commonwealth and having a few Ulster Scots in the Dáil would be a good thing? I don't think so. And I would caveat that by saying I don't think having Sinn Fein in the Dáil is a good thing either.

Let northern Ireland off and do their own independent thing while the rest of get on with our own lives.

P.s. it would not be a good thing for the rest of the island to have an East axis between Belfast and Dublin that would get all the investment from our government.

Dominic. Don’t you concern yourself with whether NI should stay or leave the UK and I’ll not concern myself with whether ROI should stay or leave EU.
    Good neighbours don’t poke into each others business.

Now it would be really helpful if you could get your people to agree with you publicly that they don’t want us. That would secure our position for all time in the UK thanks to the gfa

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I can't think of any song that GAA people might possibly sing that celebrates the killing of Protestants as Protestants.

The other side has lots of "The Night We Slaughtered the Fenians at Bingo" genre :)

I don’t know that song about the bingo myself.
    You our deluded if you don’t think ‘up the ra’ is celebrating the killing of Protestants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

downcow wrote: »
    Dominic. Don’t you concern yourself with whether NI should stay or leave the UK and I’ll not concern myself with whether ROI should stay or leave EU.

Now it would be really helpful if you could get your people to agree with you publicly that they don’t want us. That would secure our position for all time in the UK thanks to the gfa

I couldn't give two shiny shítes if ye stay in the UK or become independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mad_Maxx and I mean this with all due respect but I think both of your replies to my posts are completely and utterly delusional. Join the commonwealth and having a few Ulster Scots in the Dáil would be a good thing? I don't think so. And I would caveat that by saying I don't think having Sinn Fein in the Dáil is a good thing either.

Let northern Ireland off and do their own independent thing while the rest of get on with our own lives.

P.s. it would not be a good thing for the rest of the island to have an East axis between Belfast and Dublin that would get all the investment from our government.

in the event of a united ireland , it would be inevitable that ulster scots would have seats in the dail

whats " delusional " about it ?

the GFA doesnt secure northern irelands position " for all time in the UK "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I don’t agree with much of that. Your measure of sectarianism is naive. Sounds like if I have catholic friends I can’t be sectarian.
    I have witness lots of sectarianism in rugby and that’s just on tv.

As for a minority and gaa don’t have to deal with it!
    If any football (soccer) club named its ground after Billy (king rat)Wright then I think the ifa would deal with it.
    Gaa just say, nothing to do with us.

If local Irish league clubs held the equivalent of Wolfe tone concerts in their clubhouse then I would like to think ifa would deal with it.

If an Irish league team celebrate wining a trophy by singing the billy boys the I know they would be in very serious trouble.

But the bit you are really missing is that if a county team can sing ‘oh ah up the ra’ or can sing rebel songs in the team coach, is that not absolute unequivocal evidence that at least these county setups are sectarian and only open to nationalists. Surely a blind man with a stick could see that. I don’t think the players would be as inconsiderate as to sing ira songs if there were any unionists in the setup

My measure of sectarianism is naive? I was born in a hospital in Armagh in 1974 and went home from there to East Tyrone until 1999. My father is a Protestant and my mother is a Catholic. I grew up in the height of the troubles and had neighbours killed and maimed in them.

Yes there's GAA clubs that are named after prominent republicans but is every single person in that club a sympathiser?

How do you feel about Linfield fans singing "we are the Billy Boys, we're up to our neck in Fenian blood surrender or you'll die, cause we are the Billy boys"?

They also have a song about beating up Cliftonville fans along the lines off "with hatchets and hammers, Stanley knifes and spanners, we'll show the bastárds how to fight"

Probably should make a complaint to FIFA?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the GFA doesnt secure northern irelands position " for all time in the UK "

If Dominic is correct then it does. It only gives two options ie stay in UK or join ROI. The later is only possible if the people’s of ni and Roi both vote for it.

mfceiling wrote: »
    My measure of sectarianism is naive? I was born in a hospital in Armagh in 1974 and went home from there to East Tyrone until 1999. My father is a Protestant and my mother is a Catholic. I grew up in the height of the troubles and had neighbours killed and maimed in them.

Yes there's GAA clubs that are named after prominent republicans but is every single person in that club a sympathiser?

How do you feel about Linfield fans singing "we are the Billy Boys, we're up to our neck in Fenian blood surrender or you'll die, cause we are the Billy boys"?

They also have a song about beating up Cliftonville fans along the lines off "with hatchets and hammers, Stanley knifes and spanners, we'll show the bastárds how to fight"

Probably should make a complaint to FIFA?

I was reacting only to you suggesting that the gaa can’t control players.
    Fans are much more difficult to control but there is no excuse for not ensure team members are not racist or sectarian.

If linfield team members were behaving the way you outline then the ifa would roast them.
    I am just pointing out how the gaa don’t seem prepared to take on racism or sectarianism among senior players and teams

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    in the event of a united ireland , it would be inevitable that ulster scots would have seats in the dail

whats " delusional " about it ?

Thinking that a few Ulster Scots would be good for the Dáil is delusional.

Thinking that a few Ulster Scots would be good for the Dáil is delusional.

why ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I was reacting only to you suggesting that the gaa can’t control players.
    Fans are much more difficult to control but there is no excuse for not ensure team members are not racist or sectarian.

If linfield team members were behaving the way you outline then the ifa would roast them.
    I am just pointing out how the gaa don’t seem prepared to take on racism or sectarianism among senior players and teams

downcow suppose the narrative is moved to rugby e.g. Davy Tweed.
    You should give the GAA credit for playing a very significant role in bringing some people onside re the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Like I said nobody wants any of ye. G'luck!

It your type we don't want. You think you have some sort of exclusive right to Ireland, its flag, its anthem, its language, its history? You don't, and you'll learn this eventually.

feargale wrote: »
    downcow suppose the narrative is moved to rugby e.g. Davy Tweed.
    You should give the GAA credit for playing a very significant role in bringing some people onside re the GFA.

Don’t know what you are getting at.

It's your type we don't want. You think you have some sort of exclusive right to Ireland, its flag, its anthem, its language, its history? You don't, and you'll learn this eventually.

A lot of people down here don't seem to realise that when the conditions are right ( border poll or London pulling out), we don't get a " thanks but no thanks" option

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

The irony that the OP is a supporter of the Orange Order, the most sectarian organisation on the Island of Ireland shoulld not be lost on people.
    Saying the GAA is a sectarian organisation is an insult to the thousands of volunteers who give up their time to play, train children, helped older people during the pandemic, etc.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    The irony that the OP is a supporter of the Orange Order, the most sectarian organisation on the Island of Ireland shoulld not be lost on people.
    Saying the GAA is a sectarian organisation is an insult to the thousands of volunteers who give up their time to play, train children, helped older people during the pandemic, etc.

I am not sure what you imply by ‘supporter of the orange order’, but you seem to enjoy implying vague stuff. Unlike a huge number up here I have never been a member of either the OO or loyalist bands. The entirety of my support is that I attend ONE out of their 1,000+ parades every year.
    I openly challenge members who are friends about lots of what is wrong with their org (indeed many members agree).

It shows how, either disingenuous or uninformed you are to suggest that supporting the OO means someone will believe such and such.

Are you disagreeing with souther gaa supporters who freely admit the gaa in the north is sectarian? (I can’t comment as I don’t know but I would doubt the southerners are squeaky clean either)

It's your type we don't want. You think you have some sort of exclusive right to Ireland, its flag, its anthem, its language, its history? You don't, and you'll learn this eventually.

I'd say what I could learn off you I could learn off
    the back of a stamp. I never claimed to have any exclusive right to anything, I merely explained that in my experience the majority of people I know don't want anything to do with northern Ireland nor the people that reside there. You couldn't put forward one counter to my arguments against a UI which is par for the course with your type.

The majority of people in both the south and the north on both sides don't want a UI now or in the near future. You must be another one of these foolish people I was talking about earlier who want a UI at all costs even the possibility of further sectarian murders and economic suicide.

Look at Germany, the people in the more affluent West of the country ended up paying way more taxes to help the reunification and it still has not been a success nearly 30 years later. And they didn't have a sectarian, bigoted people to deal with that they had to try and unify together under a state they hate. A UI would be akin to trying to get Pakistan to unify with and under India. Your thinking is along the lines of a fools paradise with no rational thought or reasoning applied. And all that is even before you begin to imagine how bad our economy would suffer trying to prop up that failed state.

Grow up leave the mindless, harmful nationalism at the door and come join us in the 21st century otherwise you will eventually find out the majority of people on both sides of the border actually don't want people like you. In actual fact no one wants people like you now nevermind in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I am not from the gaa community (actually a unionist) but I have seen increasing evidence of the gaa being sectarian (in the north).
    I took it as red growing up. The Ira colour party changing uniforms each Easter parade in my local gaa club. My local club also hosting the wolf tonnes and their ira chants etc.
    I suppose I accepted almost every group was sucked into the sectarian devide during the troubles and gave them a by ball.
    But it seems to be increasing in 2020 while everyone else is moving on. eg
    We had the Tyrone senior team shouting IRA at a band of young Protestant girls from their team coach.
    We had a all ireland winning down player cautioned for shouting ira at Protestants in a local seaside resort.
    And I have just viewed a video of the Armagh ladies team all chanting oh ah up the ra

What is going on. If a loyalist band, never mind a soccer team, was chanting U U UVF there would rightly be uproar.

Why is there such extreme levels of sectarianism in the gaa? Remember they are chanting about a group that waged a sectarian war on their neighbours.

A pretty disgusting scenario whenever wee girls are chanting such nonsense. It doesn’t surprise me one bit btw. The most sectarian sport in NI that’s for sure. I don’t even know how they get funding.

I don’t doubt the GAa do such good acts for their community. However, in NI at least they appear to have a lot of sectarian issues. Very political for a so called “sporting” organisation.

Sure didn’t the NI counties vote against allowing cops into their wee organisation. I always remember too the interview with that Catholic GAA playing PSNI lad who had his legs blown off by Irish republicans. And he thought his local GAA club had disowned him. ( and possibly worse) Very sad but no surprise to me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

timthumbni wrote: »
    A pretty disgusting scenario whenever wee girls are chanting such nonsense. It doesn’t surprise me one bit btw. The most sectarian sport in NI that’s for sure. I don’t even know how they get funding.

Why don't you outline and describe how GAA in teams in the north get funding?

• Advertisement

I am not from the gaa community (actually a unionist) but I have seen increasing evidence of the gaa being sectarian (in the north).
    I took it as red growing up. The Ira colour party changing uniforms each Easter parade in my local gaa club. My local club also hosting the wolf tonnes and their ira chants etc.
    I suppose I accepted almost every group was sucked into the sectarian devide during the troubles and gave them a by ball.
    But it seems to be increasing in 2020 while everyone else is moving on. eg
    We had the Tyrone senior team shouting IRA at a band of young Protestant girls from their team coach.
    We had a all ireland winning down player cautioned for shouting ira at Protestants in a local seaside resort.
    And I have just viewed a video of the Armagh ladies team all chanting oh ah up the ra

What is going on. If a loyalist band, never mind a soccer team, was chanting U U UVF there would rightly be uproar.

Why is there such extreme levels of sectarianism in the gaa? Remember they are chanting about a group that waged a sectarian war on their neighbours.

You're asking a question you would answer yourself with a "yes". Why ask it?

Granadino wrote: »
    anything to have a go at any thing nationalist related. Pity he's not as quick criticising ornange order marches where they are not wanted and burning the irish flag on bonfires. See no evil, hear no evil like arlene on the bigoted orange order

Has anyone ever accessed the "our wee country" forum...?

Why don't you outline and describe how GAA in teams in the north get funding?

Are you saying that gaa clubs in NI don’t get funding from the public purse?

Are you saying that gaa clubs in NI don’t get funding from the public purse?

You are asking why the get funding in the first place? If so, I would ask why the Orange Order gets public purse funding or why the Irish government would give grants to the Orange Order if that's the case... :confused:

Not nice highlighting sectarian behaviour in a so called sporting organisation. Best to keep it quiet ehh?? Bit like the abuse in the RC church in Ireland. Best kept quiet it seems by your way of thinking.

Not nice highlighting sectarian behaviour in a so called sporting organisation. Best to keep it quiet ehh?? Bit like the abuse in the RC church in Ireland. Best kept quiet it seems by your way of thinking.

haha, what makes you think I'm Catholic or a supporter of the Catholic church? There's your problem there to start with.

Has anyone ever accessed the "our wee country" forum...?

What????

i don't think the GAA is a sectarian organisation. The OP has a neck bringing up this thread as he supports the Orange Order which is truly a bigoted and racist organisation which has only one main function and that is to spread hatred of nationalists. You went on about funding, you'd wonder how thse fcuckers get a red cent:(

• Advertisement

i don't think the GAA is a sectarian organisation. The OP has a neck bringing up this thread as he supports the Orange Order which is truly a bigoted and racist organisation which has only one main function and that is to spread hatred of nationalists. You went on about funding, you'd wonder how thse fcuckers get a red cent:(

From the Irish govt no less over the years as well. They should flood the Battle of the Boyne site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement