Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the gaa (in the north) inherently sectarian?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Granadino wrote: »
    haha, what makes you think I'm Catholic or a supporter of the Catholic church? There's your problem there to start with.

I have no interest whatsoever in your religious beliefs. I was highlighting the fact that it’s important to raise questions sometimes even if the answer is known. Whether that’s to highlight abuse within the RC church in Ireland, or to highlight sectarian behaviour in the GAA, or the OO for that matter.

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    i don't think the GAA is a sectarian organisation. The OP has a neck bringing up this thread as he supports the Orange Order which is truly a bigoted and racist organisation which has only one main function and that is to spread hatred of nationalists. You went on about funding, you'd wonder how thse fcuckers get a red cent:(

Racist?? You do know they have black members and have lodges in Africa. Or Are you suggesting that Irish nationalist catholics are a race now? Lolz.

The OP has a right to bring up sectarian behaviour within the GAA. You may not like it, I totally agree with him btw.

They should flood the Battle of the Boyne site.

Yes, well... that’s just a tiny bit of a bigoted statement there. No surprise to me which is why I could never be persuaded by any so called UI argument.

I would feel no connection to someone like yourself and I’m very glad and content not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

timthumbni wrote: »
    Yes, well... that’s just a tiny bit of a bigoted statement there. No surprise to me which is why I could never be persuaded by any so called UI argument.

I would feel no connection to someone like yourself and I’m very glad and content not to.

Well, if you're questioning why the GAA gets public funding, why shouldn't I question why the Irish govt should maintain a battle site for the amusement of a bigoted sectarian organisation, who, in this case, have no problem coming down to a "foreign country".

Well, if you're questioning why the GAA gets public funding, why shouldn't I question why the Irish govt should maintain a battle site for the amusement of a bigoted sectarian organisation, who, in this case, have no problem coming down to a "foreign country".

You suggested that they “flood” the site of the battle of the boyne. Bit different to questioning funding of a alleged sectarian organisation like the GAA.

• Advertisement

You suggested that they “flood” the site of the battle of the boyne. Bit different to questioning funding of a alleged sectarian organisation like the GAA.

Twas a joke, and even if it did get flooded, there'd be nobody there would there?

Twas a joke, and even if it did get flooded, there'd be nobody there would there?

A joke? It takes all sorts I suppose. Well unless it’s the GAA then it’s a certain “type” they seem to want.

Oooh ahhh up the Ra types by the sounds of it.

(Imagine wee girls singing this btw. A trifle embarrassing for all concerned.)

A joke? It takes all sorts I suppose. Well unless it’s the GAA then it’s a certain “type” they seem to want.

Oooh ahhh up the Ra types by the sounds of it.

(Imagine wee girls singing this btw. A trifle embarrassing for all concerned.)

It is embarrassing, and I'd have no time for it. In my time involved in the GAA down south, limited I'll have to admit, it wouldn't have been part of the post game song list anyhow.

It is embarrassing, and I'd have no time for it. In my time involved in the GAA down south, limited I'll have to admit, it wouldn't have been part of the post game song list anyhow.

I think you would get your eyes opened with some of the GAA clubs and members/ supporters here in Norn Iron.

When you get wee girls singing up the ra then you can surely imagine the bigoted behaviour of the lads.

They should receive no public funding at all. A largish percentage of bigots and culchie idiots to boot. Not all btw by any means but I would suggest a fairly largish percentage (of Northern Irish wans anyway)

I think you would get your eyes opened with some of the GAA clubs and members/ supporters here in Norn Iron.

When you get wee girls singing up the ra then you can surely imagine the bigoted behaviour of the lads.

They should receive no public funding at all. A largish percentage of bigots and culchie idiots to boot. Not all btw by any means but I would suggest a fairly largish percentage (of Northern Irish wans anyway)

Should the OO get funding, or soccer? You'll get twats in these organisations singing sectarian songs as well.

• Advertisement

You might want to complain to Sky Sports as well

https://twitter.com/skysportsgaa/status/1338175457276141572?s=21

Should the OO get funding, or soccer? You'll get twats in these organisations singing sectarian songs as well.

Personally, I wouldn’t fund the OO either. I’m not sure what they need funding for.

Football (soccer as you call it) in NI can be sectarian. However most clubs are mixed at the higher levels. The gaa however you would be more likely to win the national lottery than finding anyone from a unionist background in their teams. Hence why wee girls could sing a disgusting ditty about the Ira without fear of offending anyone.

Has anyone ever accessed the "our wee country" forum...?

You still haven’t answered my question as to what exactly you are referring to here. Is it the OWC football forum and if it is then what is your point exactly?

NI footie team very mixed. The GaA? Well not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Is there wide spread evidence of sectarianism within the GAA In the North?
    or are we talking about a few random examples here?

Now my take on it is that the whole province of Northern Ireland still has a very sectarian divide coming from both sides.
    It may stay dormant for periods of time during the year but around the marching season and other times of the year it starts to show up in many ways.

Now the GAA is very much a large part of the nationalist community and culture in the North, and it really should not come as any surprise that there may be some elements and people who could act sectarian or sing sectarian songs within it.
    Does that mean that the GAA is inherently sectarian? I'm not sure anyone can really say that from what has been posted in this thread so far.

Another thing to note is that the GAA has been involved in one of the bloodiest atrocities orchestrated by the British army on this Island, this alone has bound to have had an effect on its subsequent culture and general feeling towards anything British since then.

I would guess that the tricolour and Irish national anthem at county games etc would be seen as a no-no / sectarian to unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

downcow wrote: »
    I don’t know that song about the bingo myself.
    You our deluded if you don’t think ‘up the ra’ is celebrating the killing of Protestants

Colour me deluded then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vanilla Manilla

Personally, I wouldn’t fund the OO either. I’m not sure what they need funding for.

Football (soccer as you call it) in NI can be sectarian. However most clubs are mixed at the higher levels. The gaa however you would be more likely to win the national lottery than finding anyone from a unionist background in their teams. Hence why wee girls could sing a disgusting ditty about the Ira without fear of offending anyone.

I'm not saying wee girls singing about the IRA is right but then neither is calling kids taigs and fenians. Speaking from personal experience it boiled my piss the abuse I and fellow peers endured going home from school daily while passing an unavoidable protestant housing estate. And by big grown men no less. So as I said no not right but there's wrongs on all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I'm not saying wee girls singing about the IRA is right but then neither is calling kids taigs and fenians. Speaking from personal experience it boiled my piss the abuse I and fellow peers endured going home from school daily while passing an unavoidable protestant housing estate. And by big grown men no less. So as I said no not right but there's wrongs on all sides.

In NI society is still largely sectarian. My father was brought up there and most of his side of the family still live there. People still are identified and characterised as Catholic/Republican or Protestant/Unionist. Most schools are still identified as being either Catholic or Protestant. The GAA is regarded on both sides as being supported overwhelmingly by Catholics/Republicans and therefore sectarian in nature, just like the rest of society in NI.
    Of course there are exceptions to these general norms, but they are few and far between. NI is as divided as it has ever been. The peace process thankfully stopped the killing but attitudes on both sides remain the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vanilla Manilla

Roger_007 wrote: »
    In NI society is still largely sectarian. My father was brought up there and most of his side of the family still live there. People still are identified and characterised as Catholic/Republican or Protestant/Unionist. Most schools are still identified as being either Catholic or Protestant. The GAA is regarded on both sides as being supported overwhelmingly by Catholics/Republicans and therefore sectarian in nature, just like the rest of society in NI.
    Of course there are exceptions to these general norms, but they are few and far between. NI is as divided as it has ever been. The peace process thankfully stopped the killing but attitudes on both sides remain the same.

I respectfully disagree. From personal experience and conversation a lot of the population there just want peace and to get along. Just a few die hard lunatics on both sides clinging on to the hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Northern problem is ethnic not religious. Just so happens that the religious divide coincides, but that is not unusual globally.

Éire Nua which recognised that, and the right of northern prods to a degree of self government within a 32 county Republic was the best proposal from the republican side. It got lost amid the conflict in the 70s and was then abandoned by the Adams faction as "a sop to unionism."

Which is ironic to say the least seen as they subsequently accepted Partition and now govern the British controlled part of Ireland.

Sensible republicans have long since abandoned the fantasy that all Prods will become Irish nationalists. It's not a big thing to let either side have its own cultural expressions. And again not unique. Key thing is transferring sovereignty from London a Republic.

Not going to happen in my lifetime unfortunately.

Apropos the GAA, it is under no obligation to change in order to accommodate people who don't like it anyway. Same goes for mass cultural organisations on t'other side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

I am not sure what you imply by ‘supporter of the orange order’, but you seem to enjoy implying vague stuff. Unlike a huge number up here I have never been a member of either the OO or loyalist bands. The entirety of my support is that I attend ONE out of their 1,000+ parades every year.
    I openly challenge members who are friends about lots of what is wrong with their org (indeed many members agree).

It shows how, either disingenuous or uninformed you are to suggest that supporting the OO means someone will believe such and such.

Are you disagreeing with souther gaa supporters who freely admit the gaa in the north is sectarian? (I can’t comment as I don’t know but I would doubt the southerners are squeaky clean either)
    When it comes to bigoted organisations, attending/suppporting 1 parade is one too many.

I seriously doubt anyone sits around debating with members on what’s wrong in the OO. I can imagine them tut tutting at the tricolours on top of the bonfires pleading with the mob to take them down...

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

I seriously doubt anyone sits around debating with members on what’s wrong in the OO. I can imagine them tut tutting at the tricolours on top of the bonfires pleading with the mob to take them down...
    they'd be put on top of the bonfire as well.
    In reality the OP condones this behaviour and probably throws a few tyres on the bonfire, but hey blame the GAA:D:D

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    they'd be put on top of the bonfire as well.
    In reality the OP condones this behaviour and probably throws a few tyres on the bonfire, but hey blame the GAA:D:D

OP says he sits around debating with OO members on what’s wrong in the org. I’m sorry but I just don’t buy it. Maybe he goes to some posh bonfire without flegs and KAT painted on (they do exist) and they tut tut at the the yobs on loyalist estates ruining it for the rest.
    If you’re debating what’s wrong with it you wouldn’t be going to any parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Don’t know what you are getting at.

You've never heard of Davy Tweed?

feargale wrote: »

Off topic but there was a bigoted horrible man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Not like for like.
    I took exactly the same abuse from Catholics as I tried to dodge my way home from school.

What we are talking about here is a senior team representing their county thinking it is fine to chant up the ra. If this was football (soccer) and a senior team chanted up the Uvf in their changing rooms what would you think.

Roger_007 wrote: »

What you say is partially true but simplistic.
    Tell me of any sport that is remotely as sectarian as the gaa which has several instances each year of senior players being extremely sectarian.

OP says he sits around debating with OO members on what’s wrong in the org. I’m sorry but I just don’t buy it. Maybe he goes to some posh bonfire without flegs and KAT painted on (they do exist) and they tut tut at the the yobs on loyalist estates ruining it for the rest.
    If you’re debating what’s wrong with it you wouldn’t be going to any parade.

That’s a sad post but a reflection of what I see in rc church and gaa. The feeling of you must not disagree with anything or question anything. Very sad

As for discussing the wrongs of the OO. The OO are friends and family. Of course we talk about it and I don’t know a single orange man who would not identify lots they would like to change in an old archaic organisation.

Sad post really

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »

Vaguely. But I just googled him there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement