Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the gaa (in the north) inherently sectarian?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vanilla Manilla

downcow wrote: »
    Not like for like.
    I took exactly the same abuse from Catholics as I tried to dodge my way home from school.

What we are talking about here is a senior team representing their county thinking it is fine to chant up the ra. If this was football (soccer) and a senior team chanted up the Uvf in their changing rooms what would you think.

Difference is I was an 11 year old girl. Neither are right. And you're being pretty naive if you think that doesn't go on in their changing rooms too. Please pull the other one I grew up in Northern Ireland. I know exactly what it's like on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

downcow wrote: »
    That’s a sad post but a reflection of what I see in rc church and gaa. The feeling of you must not disagree with anything or question anything. Very sad

As for discussing the wrongs of the OO. The OO are friends and family. Of course we talk about it and I don’t know a single orange man who would not identify lots they would like to change in an old archaic organisation.

Sad post really

Why do you keep bringing up the RC church. Jamie Bryson manages a football team. Do you reckon they have normal singalongs?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Granadino wrote: »
    Why do you keep bringing up the RC church. Jamie Bryson manages a football team. Do you reckon they have normal singalongs?

You mean you don't see the very naked religious bigotry running through their posts. These people see Catholics as inferior and always have seen Catholics as inferior based on their theological beliefs. It forms the core of Ulster-Scots Presbyterian Unionism and I would say the prime reason why Ni has always been so Sectarian. They simply have never had any interest in having a shared society with Catholics as they view the religion as worthless, and its adherents as lost.

Now I ain't going to defend the Catholic Church, as I think its a big load of nonsense, but then I think all religion is a big load of nonsense. However I also believe in people's right to practice whatever religion they believe and not be discriminated against because of their beliefs. Can that be said of the Ulster-Scots Presbyterians or the former ruling class Anglican Church. I really don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Difference is I was an 11 year old girl. Neither are right. And you're being pretty naive if you think that doesn't go on in their changing rooms too. Please pull the other one I grew up in Northern Ireland. I know exactly what it's like on both sides.

Nonsense. You show me a video of a senior soccer team in 2020 behaving like this. I can show you more than one gaa team.
    Sure never let the facts ruin a good story!

You mean you don't see the very naked religious bigotry running through their posts. These people see Catholics as inferior and always have seen Catholics as inferior based on their theological beliefs. It forms the core of Ulster-Scots Presbyterian Unionism and I would say the prime reason why Ni has always been so Sectarian. They simply have never had any interest in having a shared society with Catholics as they view the religion as worthless, and its adherents as lost.

Now I ain't going to defend the Catholic Church, as I think its a big load of nonsense, but then I think all religion is a big load of nonsense. However I also believe in people's right to practice whatever religion they believe and not be discriminated against because of their beliefs. Can that be said of the Ulster-Scots Presbyterians or the former ruling class Anglican Church. I really don't think so.

Well then catch up with civilised society.
    Another report just this week out in NI blaming the rc church for segregated education

• Advertisement

Granadino wrote: »

No you are being really silly, with really silly unsubstantiated accusations

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

McMurphy wrote: »
    The GAA isn't a sectarian organisation, what you're describing is some members partaking in stupidity, but some members do not make an organisation.

Also, if I recall correctly op, you're a great man for the orange order, the band parades, the 11th night bonfire's etc etc.

The orange order is the epitome of sectarianism.

/Thread

The GAA have approved of clubs naming their club after IRA men (a group then deemed illegal by not only the Brits but the Irish government ) who took part in violent activities post 1923 .....

Then you got the O’Neills IRA / Easter Rising and hunger strike 1980 memorial Jerseys , hi jacked by Sinn Fein - that also include the GAA logo

Mod Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Then you got the O’Neills IRA / Easter Rising and hunger strike 1980 memorial Jerseys , hi jacked by Sinn Fein - that also include the GAA logo

BS, those jerseys do not have the GAA logo on them at all. They are made by O'Neills alright but have no affiliation to the GAA.

They're awful looking things in any case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I'm not sure what you are hoping to gain from this thread OP but I think it has run its course at this point.

Thread Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement