Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod to Spptify

Options
  • 08-12-2020 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi there, just wondering if anyone knows of a handy step by step guide to transferring a huge library of music from itunes to Spotify?

Thanks a million in advance.

No!! A typo in the thread title!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Lightscribe

I'm giving this a little bump in case somebody who can help missed it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I'm fairly sure Spotify doesn't work like that. Apple music does as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, I don't think you can "add" music to Spotify. It's a music library, and you're stuck with what they have.

As CptMackey said with Apple Music, as well as being a music library, you can add your own tracks to your personal library and have them available in the cloud (for your own account).

On the off-chance that you're talking about playlists, and not the files themselves, here's how: https://soundiiz.com/tutorial/apple-music-to-spotify

Yeah, I don't think you can "add" music to Spotify. It's a music library, and you're stuck with what they have.

As CptMackey said with Apple Music, as well as being a music library, you can add your own tracks to your personal library and have them available in the cloud (for your own account).

On the off-chance that you're talking about playlists, and not the files themselves, here's how: https://soundiiz.com/tutorial/apple-music-to-spotify

It's for my father who has invested years in the music library in his ipod and now wants to use Spotify. Is there a way of "mirroring" (for want of a better word) the music on his ipod into one big new Spotify playlist?
    All the music on the ipod is legit and purchased through itunes if that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's for my father who has invested years in the music library in his ipod and now wants to use Spotify. Is there a way of "mirroring" (for want of a better word) the music on his ipod into one big new Spotify playlist?
    All the music on the ipod is legit and purchased through itunes if that matters.

It's just that Spotify works in a different way to having your own library of music you own. The whole idea of it is that it's a library of 50 million songs that you have access to via your subscription. It's a bit like joining a public library, but with no limits on what you can "borrow". The fact that you own a load of book yourself at home (some of which may be in the library too, some of which may not) really has no bearing on the library.

That said, maybe this is of some help:

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/listen-to-local-files/

You can integrate your local files into your Spotify library. My understanding is that this doesn't actually upload any music files to Spotify's servers or anything - it just allows you to play the music you already own alongside the music from the Spotify library on that device. I'm not exactly sure what happens if you try to play one of your songs on a different device (that's logged into your account). Does it error out, or try to match the song from the Spotify library? It seems that people suggest hosting the "local" files on Dropbox to allow you to play across devices. Note that only certain file formats are supported.

You can also certainly make a playlist (or lists) of your music in iTunes, and then import it (or them) into Spotify. This doesn't move your music at all, it just tells Spotify what music you want to listen from it's library. There used to be a simple way to do this via a menu item in Spotify, but they removed it. Here's some alternative ways to do it:

https://www.drmare.com/apple-music/itunes-playlist-to-spotify.html

Just for your information, Apple Music works in a slightly different way. It also has a library of 50 million songs. But if you have local music that isn't in that library, you can actually upload it to Apple's servers, and it will be available to you in your account on any device you log into. So for instance, there's no Fatima Mansions albums on Apple Music (or Spotify, the last time I checked). If you own their CDs, you could rip them. With Spotify, you could then include those tracks in your playlists on the devices you have the files on, or via Dropbox. On Apple Music, you could actually upload those tracks to your Apple Music account, and then play them anywhere, regardless of where you have them stored locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Might be worth taking the trial of Apple Music if your dad is already heavily invested in the music on his iPod. Apple Music offer just about the same catalog of music as Spotify and all his music will be maintained.

Tazium wrote: »
    Might be worth taking the trial of Apple Music if your dad is already heavily invested in the music on his iPod. Apple Music offer just about the same catalog of music as Spotify and all his music will be maintained.

Not a bad idea but he's a firm android user, it'd be a step too far to try and convert him to ios at this stage, 75 years of age!

Edit... Just realised that Apple Music is on the Play Store. Who knew. More investigation to be done.

Thanks a million for the advice lads

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cirrus Incus

YouTube Music has a music locker you can upload and use for free. It's really easy, just drag the music files into the browser.

Advertisement