Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain breaker - is this one missing a pin?

Options
  • 08-12-2020 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭

One side plate on one of my chain links is broken. I've no idea how long it has been broken for.

To avoid the downtime and inconvenience of bring it to the LBS I'm thinking about replacing the chain myself.

I have a chain breaker but I have never used it. A small ball bearing is inside the place where a pin would be.

Will this chain breaker work? Does it need a pin or would one come with the chain?

Drivetrain is Shimano Tiagra 9 speed (on a 2008 Specialized Sirrus).
    Based on best sellers on CRC it looks like I should get a KMC X9, or SRAM PC951 or Shimano XT HG93.

Or, if I'm this clueless, should I just go to LBS?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you screw it the whole way out does a pin come out and go as far as the far side of the chain would lie? It needs this to break the chain, and also to resize your new chain if needed. If not, I have spare chain breakers if your around Dublin or Wicklow. As for the chains, my memories of 9 speed, go with the SRAM or KMC, I'd pick the SRAM just for the added convenience of the powerlink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

You're missing the pin. This looks like a Cyclo breaker, and AFAIK, they don't supply spares, so it's probably scrap now, but in good news, they are relatively cheap.

I'd advise a visit to the LBS, because your old chain may be worn, and a new one may skip on your existing cassette/freewheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Type 17 wrote: »
    You're missing the pin. This looks like a Cyclo breaker, and AFAIK, they don't supply spares, so it's probably scrap now, but in good news, they are relatively cheap.
    Bang on, it is a Cyclo!
    Type 17 wrote: »
    I'd advise a visit to the LBS, because your old chain may be worn, and a new one may skip on your existing cassette/freewheel.
    Thanks.

Advertisement