Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Box for network switch in damp environment?

Options
  • 08-12-2020 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct board. Feel free to move if it should be somewhere else.

Considering installing CCTV cameras (IP) in agricultural sheds. Would need a small unmanaged POE switch to route multiple cameras back to house via ubiquiti point to point link. Just curious what is normally used in this type of install to house the switch / power adapter to protect from water / dust etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

LostInLM wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct board. Feel free to move if it should be somewhere else.

Considering installing CCTV cameras (IP) in agricultural sheds. Would need a small unmanaged POE switch to route multiple cameras back to house via ubiquiti point to point link. Just curious what is normally used in this type of install to house the switch / power adapter to protect from water / dust etc?

Once its IP rated for the environment you should be fine.
    Have a look here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

You need an enclosure, they come in various sizes in metal and plastic, you'll also need a few 20mm glands for cabling. You'll get them in any electrical suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

You need an enclosure, they come in various sizes in metal and plastic, you'll also need a few 20mm glands for cabling. You'll get them in any electrical suppliers

Ah ok. Just a decent sized box with cable glands. Was just wondering if anything more specific was needed to allow for heat from switch or power adapter brick.

Thanks.

LostInLM wrote: »
    Ah ok. Just a decent sized box with cable glands. Was just wondering if anything more specific was needed to allow for heat from switch or power adapter brick.

Thanks.

Quite the opposite to what you think, the heat from the electronics should keep away dampness in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

Quite the opposite to what you think, the heat from the electronics should keep away dampness in the air

Every day is a learning day on here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Could an Ethernet switch be put in the same up rated enclosure in an attic or is that then too hot? In that case how do you cool it?

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Could an Ethernet switch be put in the same up rated enclosure in an attic or is that then too hot? In that case how do you cool it?

In an attic would you not put it in a small 4u or 6u comms cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

In an attic would you not put it in a small 4u or 6u comms cabinet?

I might? :D I’m not very good at this type of thing, trying to plan out how to set up my home network. I know I have at least 4 cat 5 cables from the utility, I think I’m going to have to put a switch in the attic to better serve upstairs and also have a little comma cabinet in the utility. Does that make sense?

Advertisement